Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Thanks again pob.

What improvements are best for plains tiles? I put cottages on Grassland/River and Floodplain tiles. So far I have not done any improvements to Plains tiles. I guess I am waiting to get Replaceable Parts Tech and then build Workshops. What do you think?

Thanks again pob.

What improvements are best for plains tiles? I put cottages on Grassland/River and Floodplain tiles. So far I have not done any improvements to Plains tiles. I guess I am waiting to get Replaceable Parts Tech and then build Workshops. What do you think?

Depends on the city. In your capital I would spam cottages everywhere, unless it has a lack of food, in cities that don't have a lot of food I would ignore plains until State Property Workshops or Biology Farms, unless they are riverside. In cities that have a lot of food surplus you might as well build cottages on plains.

Thanks Knoedel. I Farmed a few plains in a couple of cities that needed more food and had no more grassland or other food resources to improve. The rest will wait til the Workshops can really churn out Hammers.

In my capital city I started a Wonder that will give lots of Culture points. Then I decided that it would be better to have the Wonder in a city on the edge of my territory to expand the borders rapidly outwards. Can I delete the wonder in any way? I am not allowed to start building it in any other city.

Thanks Knoedel. I Farmed a few plains in a couple of cities that needed more food and had no more grassland or other food resources to improve. The rest will wait til the Workshops can really churn out Hammers.

In my capital city I started a Wonder that will give lots of Culture points. Then I decided that it would be better to have the Wonder in a city on the edge of my territory to expand the borders rapidly outwards. Can I delete the wonder in any way? I am not allowed to start building it in any other city.

To stop building any wonder in a city:
1. enter the city screen
2. click on something else to build in the city while holding down ctrl key. This will place the new build ahead of the wonder in the build queue (in the lower left corner).
3. next click on the wonder in the build queue. It will be removed from the queue.
4. now click on the wonder in the city where you want to build it. The new city will build it from scratch, not from where the original build (in your capital) left off. When you finish it in your new city site, the hammers that you put into it in the original site will be converted into gold income on the next turn.

You can't leave the build queue empty, which is the reason for step 2 above.

It also depends on whether you go for corporations and free market or State Property. If the former I would build farms or cottages, if the latter workshops.

So I finally went to war with the weakest civ around. I am Queen Victoria of England and I have invaded the Roman city of Antium. I got 74 gold from the plunder and chose to hire a new governor.

So what do I do now? How do I develop this city?

Here is a picture.

Chop all the riverside forests first, and build cottages and maybe a farm or two on all not currently improved tiles that aren't dry tundra. If you have a surplus of workers shortly before or after discovering Biology you should replace most of the farms with cottages if you go Corporate Free Market or watermills if State Property, but that depends on your grand strategy.

Is there a limit on the number of wonders you can build in one city? I've got an enemy capital that is a real hammer factory and I'm using it to churn out the wonders (as HC with the +100% bonus to wonders). Obviously NOT on the one city challenge.

There is a limit of two national wonders per city, but not world wonders.

Oh I thought they did, pob. Might be wrong.

I think I read somewhere that the Fort will only give +25% bonus defense and not the combined defense of the forest (+50%) and the Fort (+25%).

So will I get the bonus defense of +75% for building a Fort on a Forest? +100% defense bonus for a Fort on a Hill/Forest?

This is one of the differences between Vanilla and BtS
In vanilla building a fort clears the forest so you get some hammers in the nearest city and a +50% defense bonus.

In BtS As Pob stated you get to keep the forest and get a huge +75% defense Bonus for your woodland Fortress.
looking at some screenshots it does not look like the +25% bonus for also being a hill stacks with the +75% Forest bonus so the total bonus is still +75%
(also fort bonuses can't be bombarded away making them superior to a city in many cases: City defense and city Raider promotions effect them too)

I play vanilla Civ4. I noticed that Harbors should add 50% Trade Routes. How exactly is this calculated? I have 4 TR in York. I don't see any increase in base Commerce. Maybe I have to wait for the next turn?

I play vanilla Civ4. I noticed that Harbors should add 50% Trade Routes. How exactly is this calculated? I have 4 TR in York. I don't see any increase in base Commerce. Maybe I have to wait for the next turn?

I think your trade routes are not generating enough commerce for 50% to be a whole number, so it adds nothing. If you mouse over the "+1 O" of the trade route it will tell you how it is calculated, it will probably say that there is a base commerce of 1, + 50% = 1.

Hi Michkov,

According to BtS (CIV4WorldInfo.xml), a Standard map size is
Code:
			<iGridWidth>21</iGridWidth>
			<iGridHeight>13</iGridHeight>
21 * 4 = 84
13 * 4 = 52

84 * 52 = 4,368 plots.

This is a basis as even some BtS map scripts are superseeding these values with their own.

Hi Michkov,

According to BtS (CIV4WorldInfo.xml), a Standard map size is
Code:
			<iGridWidth>21</iGridWidth>
			<iGridHeight>13</iGridHeight>
21 * 4 = 84
13 * 4 = 52

84 * 52 = 4,368 plots.

This is a basis as even some BtS map scripts are superseeding these values with their own.

Thanks.
From that code snippet I take it 1 grid space is made up of 4x4=16 tiles ingame?

Indeed.

How can I destroy a road in my own territory? I want to prevent enemy troops from moving quickly inside my territory.

unless they have the commando promotion they don't get the road bonus in your territory.

When the AI's building a spaceship, how exactly do I destroy it with my army? Do I take the city with the Apollo Program or will taking the capital do?

If the spaceship is still being built, you can destroy progress on any part being built in a city by capturing or destroying that city or using espionage to sabotage the part in that city. If the spaceship has been launched, you can destroy it by capturing or destroying the capital city. The Apollo Program is a project, not a wonder, so you can't destroy it once it is completed. Taking the capital, if the spaceship is still being built, will only destroy any part currently being built in that city.

Top Bottom