[Speculation] Italian States/Papal States/Venice

I'd rather see Venice, to be honest, since this game seems to be focusing on trade routes, culture and tourism. Venice is one of the most visited cities in Europe, and its empire was famous for trade routes and the like.

If Italy becomes a new civilization, the leader should be Benito Mussolini. He is so controversial as Mao and Stalin, and is still related to the totalitarian ideology. But even then I think they should put other civilizations ... (Sorry, my english is mediocre, I know)

ITALY
Leader: Alessandro de' Medici
Capital: Naples (Civ 2 players understand the significance here) Or probably Venice
UU: Guerilla (Infantry with a bonus in Italian Territory)
UB: Basilica (Opera House with an extra slot for great works)
UA: Spread of the Renaissance (Tourism bonus (~10%) when a city changes hands with Italy)

If Italy becomes a new civilization, the leader should be Benito Mussolini. He is so controversial as Mao and Stalin, and is still related to the totalitarian ideology. But even then I think they should put other civilizations ... (Sorry, my english is mediocre, I know)

He was terrible for Italy, though. There are plenty of autocratic leaders who weren't quite so disastrous.

King William, I was thinking a Medici as well, but I was going to suggest Lorenzo instead. He was a patron for many great Renaissance artists and, after all, that's the reason Italy is being suggested.

He was terrible for Italy, though. There are plenty of autocratic leaders who weren't quite so disastrous.

King William, I was thinking a Medici as well, but I was going to suggest Lorenzo instead. He was a patron for many great Renaissance artists and, after all, that's the reason Italy is being suggested.

Lorenzo de Medici would be my pick for Italy, too. Not to mention he's in one of the Assassin Creed games, so some people do know he existed.

Idea for the Pavisier:

Identical stats to Crossbowmen. however attacking does not end fortification, fortification is ended upon moving or on command. attacks made while fortified have only 75% strength. Immune to bonuses against fortified units.
Or just give'em a cover promotion. A crossbowman replacement would be neat. Also, defensive, and appropriate for a small civ. Sometimes it seems like a shame to only get three uniques.

Condottiere is my choice (not that I think Italy will be in the game, but still).
Less sure about this one. Maybe some benefit to pillaging tiles rather than actual combat, because the condottiere didn't really like to muss their hair.

Or just give'em a cover promotion. A crossbowman replacement would be neat. Also, defensive, and appropriate for a small civ. Sometimes it seems like a shame to only get three uniques.

Less sure about this one. Maybe some benefit to pillaging tiles rather than actual combat, because the condottiere didn't really like to muss their hair.

Condottiere(Knight replacement):

• 16 :c5strength:
  • :c5gold: from defeated units
  • 25% chance that defeated enemy unit joins your side
  • 25% chance that defeated condottiere joins the enemy
  • 120 :c5production: cost
  • 500 :c5gold: cost to purchase
  • Requires horses, only Italians may build it

How would that work out in game?

Venice would work well with the new trade route system. I bet with Portugal and Poland, Venice would be the third new European Civ this expansion.

The status of Italy is pretty much the same as pre-PAX.
Unless Sofia replaces Budapest or Belgrade, that would mean Hungary or Serbia/Yugoslavia are the new civ and this would reduce Italy's chances a bit.
But right now we don't know whom Sofia is replacing, so it could very well be a hint at a Vietnam civ and not at any new European civ.

To me, it would seem this expansion serves some form of Italy perfectly; in the cultural changes and the international trade routes. I hope that form is Venice. The use of Venice as a backdrop for the Gods and Kings cinematic must mean something... I hope.

The status of Italy is pretty much the same as pre-PAX.
Unless Sofia replaces Budapest or Belgrade, that would mean Hungary or Serbia/Yugoslavia are the new civ and this would reduce Italy's chances a bit.
But right now we don't know whom Sofia is replacing, so it could very well be a hint at a Vietnam civ and not at any new European civ.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your logic. The CS doesn't need to replace anything, expansions, as per their nature, add new content. That means that they could very well be adding new city states, and not replacing any at all. Old ones that aren't needed or are overlapping a new civ would simply be deleted

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand your logic. The CS doesn't need to replace anything, expansions, as per their nature, add new content. That means that they could very well be adding new city states, and not replacing any at all. Old ones that aren't needed or are overlapping a new civ would simply be deleted

Usually they only add new city-states in two cases:
The first being when they add a new type of city states like in G&K, but this doesn't seem to be the case with BNW as no new types of CS are added.
The second being when they add a new civ and said civ has an overlap with existing CS. In that case they replace the former city-state with a new one, like they did with Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Seoul, etc.
The fact that Sofia is a new militaristic city-state and that they have the same colour as Belgrade leads to believe that Belgrade or somebody else has been replaced by Sofia in BNW.

I could see them doing the obligatory "carneval" as a replacement for the circus with extra artist slots,but it might conflict too much with the brazilian UA...

Also really don't want to see Venice instead of Italy,mostly because it would be interresting to see a civ focussing on the great persons and such,really feel no need for another maritime trade nation

Top Bottom