Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

Maybe venice is to be able to settle in coast tiles while embarked? That would be a big deal.

This also seems plausible. I could see settling cities on coastal tiles as the bombshell. It would be unique to Venice, and different than all other civs. Definitely a bombshell.

I remember in Alpha Centauri my favorite civ was the one that could found cities in the water.

Maybe venice is to be able to settle in coast tiles while embarked? That would be a big deal.

This too is my hope for a Venetian civ. The cities would look awesome in coast tiles, it would be Stonehenge+ (I love getting a seahenge, I really do.) A UA that improves the output of coast and/or ocean tiles, or yield on sea resources - double pearls, crabs, whales? Ships that can disembark to become land units, and visa versa? Nice. That would make me very excited about Venice.

Mobile cities and similar, though very cool for gameplay, is a missed trick I feel. Moving cities a tile a turn, or claiming territory and working the hexes without founding an actual city - similar to Citadels - would be way fun, and I'd love to see it on a Native American civ, but not without changes to Attila the Dreadful of The Huns first.

My guess is that its Venice. Settlers can only build on coastal areas. Will have a UB that replaces the Harbour with some major coastal tile buff.

Settling on coast would be very cool and quite a powerful ability,good location coupled with a good navy and Venetian cities could be really hard to take, it could also open the possibility to founding cities and stealing resources. Found a city, steal some resources and pop a citadel.

The possibility of a real nomad civ would also be incredibly cool. But I imagine they would have announced something that big already, "unique mechanics for nomad civs" that way you could implement them for Mongols, Huns, Sioux, etc.

Yet another thing that could be added in a third expansion.

It might be in relation to barbarian tribes. They can only create cities from camps, or they can convert camps (not simply troops) to their cause. Or it could be Venice with some ability to create city-states or, as already stated, settle on the coast.

Well we were told we could convert Barb camps via the new Piety reformation beliefs. So possible, but from the PCGamer review context and this, I think they are talking about Venice still

It seems reasonable to expect this to be the same as the "bombshell" civ (since, if it's as unique as is being suggested, it seems unlikely the reviewer would regard the other civ as a bombshell), and it's been heavily-hinted that that's Venice. A civ that somehow acts like a city-state in some respects? It has to be basic enough in description to fit within UA text and/or unique descriptions, so any major change to game mechanics is out.

I believe this statement is going to be a really tough one for Firaxis to live up to.

I'm going to definitely say that Venice is one of the two remaining civs, but this one that they are referring to is not Venice. I don't see them doing anything with Venice that could live up to that statement.

It would almost have to be a Native civ of some kind that didn't really build cities, or (and I hate to say this) a non-human civ.

Yeah Eagle I agree. Another fear I have is that the AI can not handle its unique nature and having the civ on a map distorts balance due to its weakness.

Since we've seen exactly this with the Huns, and their then-unprecedented melee siege unit UU, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Is this really such an insane thing as to warrant the type of hyperbole we've been getting? This doesn't seem like that crazy a restriction.

The comment says the playstyle will be unique. To me that doesn't imply merely that it will have an unusual UA, but that its uniques as a whole will foster an unusual play style.

Settling on coastal water tiles would be one hell of a UP and perfect for Venice. I'd be thrilled if that were the bombshell. I don't know if I like restricting them to only settling like that though.

Vatican City--Firaxis wants you to play as the Pope. When you start the game and you select Vatican City, you don't get a settler and a warrior, but the game will play itself until a religion is founded. At that point, 1 single hex will be your "Vatican City". You will have influence, in every city where your religious followers are. The AI city that 'hosts' your single hex, must win the game for you to win the game. You will have influence, but not direct control of it, however.

Settling on coastal water tiles would be one hell of a UP and perfect for Venice. I'd be thrilled if that were the bombshell. I don't know if I like restricting them to only settling like that though.

I think due to some map types, it would have to be an option, and not a requirement.

Honestly I imagine it would play very similar to the nautical civ in Alpha Centauri.

How would that be so powerful? What advantage if any would it have?

More deep ocean tiles...yaay.

Top Bottom