End of Empires - N3S III

Voilà, my culture description.

Arta Xorti Culture: The main identifiing factor of the Arta Xorti cultural group is their religion, Indagahor, a meditative religion whose followers seek enlightenment, called Iehor. The cultural homeland is the island of Dinyart, but from here the people have spread to surrounding lands across the sea. Another factor of the Arta Xorti is the distinct split between the Fishers and the Farmers. While the Farmers are hard working and immobile, the fishers are risk takers who have been the primary colonizers. These people are mostly small-time peaceful traders, however if pushed, the whole Arta Xorti group could unite as one and face off any attackers.

Opulensi/Arti Xorti oriented.:)

Epilogue to Exatai: Part Two - Aspect Master

This land!

A land built on cruelty is a land of brazen iron/Enchained and chaining, the chains awash with blood/The blood, a golden drink for thirsty lips/Thirst of a slaver king, his face a shadowed mien."

-Slave: 4:29

We must be clever.

-Arastephas the Redeemer

---

There is a nondescript plant with small grey flowers that grows, carefully tended, along the banks of the sacred lake of the Rath Satar, the lake Nasara. Imbibed in substantial amounts, the leaf-extract of this plant is said to produce a profound euphoric state, which then rapidly proceeds to death as the body catestrophically overheats and the heart explodes. However, if taken in small, precise quantities beginning in childhood, it allows a particular kind of reactiveness, heightened awareness and sensation, and the ability to recall past knowledge, both physical and sensory memory, with complete clarity. When the dose is heightened for an experienced user, a man can reconstruct the room in which he last saw his wife, and feel her touch on his cheek as if her hand had never left it.

The plant, and the condition it creates, is called Xatai. The Redeemers forbade the use of the drug in their armies, as soldiers were prone to abuse it for the skill-enhancing qualities it provided, and so meet a quick death from hyperthermia. But in the incense-filled shadows of the great monasteries of Magha, new applications for this drug were found, and jealously guarded.

It was exceedingly dangerous.

The drug, it was said, would alter a man's personality. It could make an open man brooding, a wise man foolish, a humble man proud. But it took an unshakable will to manage the substance. A grain more than necessary, and a man's very blood vessels could burst.

The ancient dream-walkers of the Rath Satar once took Xatai to aid in their spirit journeys. After decades of careful experimentation, the Oracles from which this ancient tradition descended learned to apply the use of this drug to their martial forms. Suddenly, every flaw in a battle-form was evident. Muscle tension relaxed, as the body embraced the fluid grace of the dance of death. Unenhanced warriors appeared as untrained children. The ones who embraced the drug, using it to enhance their potency in battle, mixed the already formidable forms of the Satar with super-human understanding to bring martial art to an unsurpassed, almost insane, level.

These enhanced warriors were the Aspect Warriors: The Argai. Men who had honed their bodies into weapons in the physical worship of Taleldil, their goal was to make death an art. Xetares was their god.

Their legacy: Trovin. Faron. The burning of the world.

To most, the Argai symbolized the arrogant supremacy of the Satar sword, an arrogance which went down to final defeat with the slaughter of the Aspect Warriors and their golden master. They knew little of the drug which had fueled their addiction to battle, an addiction which spread to Xetares himself. Who could say if Xetares himself took the drug, as did all his lieutenants? It is a question for history.

Within the temples, the mistake of unleashing Xatai for unrestrained aggression was noted. The Aspect Warriors were dead, and with them, the fatally flawed martial forms. Xatai, they pronounced, would never again be used in this way.

Most particularly, the Aspect Master that had trained the Aspect Warriors took note of his errors.

Sword, spear. A blur. Holes instantly appearing in thick sheet metal as if the finger of a god had invisibly punched through. Each strike puncturing forged iron plate as if it had been cloud, forming a pattern, a seven pointed star. A lashing limb to utterly decimate the target into shards of metal.

The Aspect Master paused, motionless. His body steamed. In years past he had found that the brief second after a martial form was complete was the best moment to contemplate all that he had just learned.

He sent his memory questing. The Aitahists, spreading like some breeding parasite, but what was the treatment? As hoped, the Accans, these black-masked Censorattas. Redeemer Macrinus, his entourage was now a mixture of Satar and Acca. Underneath the mask, who can tell what race one is? We can, of course. But can they? The mask is the future. Once we place masks on the Sesh, on the Acca, on the Satar, there will be no distinguishing. The Satar were overlords, but they could not rule. This new system of...administration that the Censoratta bring us is a gift.

We replace the rude division of princedoms and satrapies with magistrates and councils. All shall be made right. The Satar shall be the sword. The Acca will be the mailed fist that directs it. And in time, the two shall become one.

Allowing his daughter to die had been a mistake. Ishalia had been the perfect counterpoint to Aitah, who herself was a pale shadow of the Matah with whom the Seshweay were once obsessed. It became necessary to craft a new persona to lead the leaderless Oracles, this megalomaniac "Tephas ta-Shaim," distant relative of the dead Prince of the Sword, to reclaim the power that had always been his in all but name alone.

He missed Atraxes. Xetares had been an experiment, one that had not gone as planned. But he had learned that exatas could not be claimed by the Aspect of Battle alone.

The leaf-extract of the enigmatic, grey-flowered Xatai had another curious characteristic. It increased cell regeneration, ******ing senescence. He had the body of an incredibly fit man in later middle age. Of course, the Aspect Master had lived more than two-hundred years, and expected the drug to stretch out another hundred before his organs finally failed. He would never allow any of his acolytes to preserve the dosage. No, the grey-eyed warrior fully intended to be the last of the immortals.

The Aspect Master sighed. 'Tephas' had to return to work. Always in quest of exatas, we foolish men.

Iralliam - Monotheistic religion generally worshiping Opporia, but also a wide pantheon of semi-divine saints, spirits, demons, etc. Krato/Moti-oriented.

I get the impression that it's dualistic, a la Zoroastrianism. Also, was founded by a famous and highly revered prophet/sage.

Nope!

Here's the PM I sent to Shadowbound, edited to remove the Nahsjad-specific stuff:

Maninism is a dualist religion without the dualism. In other words, there are no gods with any particular authority. The name of the religion comes from the “god”, Manin, who is occasionally interpreted as a sort of divine spirit but isn’t usually credited with any power. More modern thought in Gallat generally describes Manin as a force rather than a spirit, and the concept of Manin as a spirit was never really introduced elsewhere, so you don’t have to be too concerned over that distinction. (It is something of a point of contention between the clergy and the populace in Gallat, however, some of whom insist on worshipping Manin as a spirit.)

In any case, Manin is the Guide to the Faith. (Maninists call their belief the Faith, with no other term.) The Faith is all-important to humanity because, without the Faith, the world will fall into darkness, chaos and decay. The Faith is order, but more importantly the Faith is light, knowledge, and good works, great and small. The Maninist creation myth is important here.

The Maninists believe that, in the beginning, the world was perfect and unchanging. No one wanted for anything, and all humans lived in the utmost bliss. But something happened to that world (usually written in uppercase, Happened), although what exactly Happened is unclear and an oft-debated topic among religious scholars. In any case, the perfect world became destabilized. At first, no one noticed the change, but gradually the people’s hearts became darker. The first evil deeds were done: lies, theft, eventually murder. And the world itself began to darken and become more twisted. Nature reflected humanity’s decay, and the world was bathed alternately in great heat and great cold, and there was much suffering.

As this was all going on, the people began to search for something to save them. They knew something was wrong. But most of them found only false gods, conjured up by money-grubbing pretend priests. But a small few remained true to the great principles they had upheld in the time of perfection. They nursed it and nourished that virtue even in the darkest times. And, as they spread their virtue, from just a small group to an ever-expanding realm of followers, the world was saved from complete darkness.

But the world is only safe as long as humanity retains the true virtues and morals of the perfect world. (What exactly these are deemed to be has changed slightly over time and, to a lesser extent, by what region they are presented to.) The goal of the Faith must by necessity be to restore the Faith to the entire world, and thereby to return the world to the perfect state. Just as importantly, followers of the Faith must cultivate their own morality, for the fate of not only themselves but truly the entire world depends on the human ability to be moral.

There is a strong tendency to believe that some people around the world retain the beliefs of the perfect era without currently being a part of the Faith. This means the Faith is often syncretist in areas where it spreads. Taudo and Seadol was a good example of this, and some Maninist missionaries in the Mahid region had some success in combining the Triluin Cult of Hulos with Maninist ideals. Furthermore, worship of local deities is generally tolerated so long as they are not seen to encourage immoral behavior. What exactly qualifies as immoral behavior may depend a bit on the political climate, although some things such as large sacrifices, particularly human sacrifice, are never tolerated. Another example of intolerance would be against the Seshweay practice of ancestor worship, which met with scorn from Maninists for not seeking the truth internally but rather from external humans (in this case, dead humans, but still not likely to be more moral).

In terms of organization, the Faith is governed by the High Ward at its peak, although the position of High Ward is also the highest political authority in Gallat (having displaced the monarchy somewhat more than two centuries ago). Below the High Ward are numerous Wards, who have no formal hierarchy at the top level but tend to develop informal hierarchies within temples and missions. Below Wards are Acolytes, although most who enter the clergy will remain Acolytes their entire lives. The Acolytes are primarily responsible for missionary work.

I get the impression that it's dualistic, a la Zoroastrianism. Also, was founded by a famous and highly revered prophet/sage.

Right. I only chose the term 'monotheistic' because I didn't think that you worshiped your evil-figure, or accorded it equal status with Opporia, but I can change that if necessary.

Right, that's the nuance that marks the difference between straight-on monotheism and dualism. There are probably also some heterodox practitioners in the backwoods that would try and propitiate the Evil God.

EDIT: So anyway, Thlayli, since you're leaving: I'm going to accept the tribute, as long as the Kothari promise not to meddle in Uggor affairs. I'll come up with appropriate diplomatic form and a few more nuances later, but just so you know, I don't plan on destroying them unless they deliberately make a nuisance of themselves.

Nope!

Stats should be worked upon/up tomorrow. After that, the deadline for orders will be January the 19th, 12:00 noon EST. In keeping with my New Years' resolution, I hope to have an update up before I get back to college.

At the same time, I am probably eliminating the Description parts of the stats, and instead including a link to the nation's wiki page. Yes, for those of you who don't know, we have a wiki: http://endofempires.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page

The Hu'ut Empire's current entry is a good example of the kind of page I'm hoping to have for every nation, geographic feature, person, and even some things.

EDIT: And obviously, you can create your own nation's page, just be reasonable about it. Or other nations as well.

Ninja, do you still have that Uggor glossary on your computer? I can't seem to find mine, and now that there is a wiki I think that might come in handy for others too.

I have, if you haven't seen already, created a page for Leun. I just need to add info to it....:)

To: High Prince Zetaxaras, Star Family Chief

Your gift of horses is accepted[1] and considered a sign of your piety. Therefore I forgive the past transgressions of your lineage and confirm you in the possession of the lands you have taken now. In sign of reciprocity of the peaceful intent, I send to you reciprocal gifts - crimson elephants, slaves and crafted things of copper and bronze.

Know, however, that though you are forgiven, your brothers in the north are not, for as they have sworn a blood oath against us, so we have sworn a blood oath against them and for their enemies. Their lives and property are forfeit.

And another thing - hear that all the Uggor[2], whether of the Moti Great Family or of the Krato, are under my protection. That was so before, and it is more so now for I declare it thus anew. Any attack on any of them is an attack upon me; see to it that you and yours do not commit it, and I shall not need to fight you again.

And a third thing - your people are renowned horse-warriors, and a terror of the battlefield, so all have heard and we also have seen. It is known to me that a warrior must fight, but is often in want of worthy and unshameful opponents. I tell you not to fight any of the Uggor; and I also would not ask you to fight your brethren in the north, for I understand that it would still be kinstrife. Instead, if you or any of your warriors are even in want of wars and enemies, I would offer any of your warriors a chance to serve as retainers in my own army and to fight against all my enemies but the Uggor and the Satar, in exchange for payment and share of the plunder, and would offer you yourself with your retainers an alliance against any of my enemies but the Uggor and the Satar in exchange for a share of the plunder and assistance against any of your enemies that are not Uggor or Satar. Thus we shall reconcile past differences through shared combat and shared enemies, and shall destroy any that dare oppose us.

---

[1] This was a major faux pass on Zetaxaras' part and a clever underhanded political maneuver on the part of Fourth-Gaci, or rather his advisers. It resulted in a major falling out between the Horse Family (who thought, quite correctly, that they were the only ones who were supposed to receive horses as gifts, or at least had the right to receive them first and then pass most of them on to the Chief-of-Chiefs) and the Elephant Family (who thought, quite correctly, that the supreme ruler of all families had the right to take any goods that are sent to any of the families), though ultimately any immediate harm was avoided.

[2] Fun fact: rebels and outlaws are not Uggor as used in this message, unless forgiven and accepted back into an Uggor family. The Horse Family are Uggor now, but weren't before they worked out a new arrangement and became a family in their own right.

Uggor- Family
Igog- A company of men. Usually reffering to groups of warriors.
Srupto- The World
Yensai- Mighty or powerful. Also the name of a river.
Coshunda- A large body of water. The Galas Sea is considered a Coshunda.
Gropohuna- Mountain. The Kotthorns are considered Gropohunas.
Jiti- Meal.
Brosli- Tree.
Brosligo- Treeless. Sometimes used to refer to the more flat areas of Krato, or possibly higher parts of the Kotthorns.
Fre- Life.
Frego- Lifeless or dead.
Gog-Man
Grig- Woman
Gor- People
Kotuu- Name for elephant.
Eso- Red/ Crimson
Gogi- Human
Sontog- Animal
Uyom- Evil
Cotun- Sheep
Yenrus Uggor- Great Family
Eso Kotuu- Crimson Elephant
Hno Un Hnos- Chief of Chiefs
Sogo- Goat
Afono- Cow

(This was a different set. Therefore, the translation is switched around for the first few.)
Horse: Durost
Ox: Afvanfo
Chicken: Pirtipel
Cat: Risfa
Lion: Jiressa
Tikhupata: Divine or mighty
Yenri- Good
Hnoyto-Council
Swen- One
Swenit-First
Kij- Two
Kijit- Second
Hwot- Three
Hwotit-Third
Buci- Four
Bucit- Fourth
Lon-Five
Lonit- Fifth
Lun- Six
Lunit- Sixth
Ver- Seven
Verit- Seventh
Bohu- Eight
Bohuit- Eighth
Katul- Nine
Katulit- Nineth
Cartu- Ten
Cartuit- Tenth
Empo- Blue
Ect- Green
Els- Yellow
Abu- Orange
Tivu- Purple
Nilhatsum- Gold
Musatsum- Tin
Bulatsum- Silver
Zyensum- Copper

I wrote this god knows how long ago, but here it is :p

OOC: Yes, I just ripped this from my article on the EoE wiki, but I do like it quite more than my other two stories:)vomit:).

Origins of Leun

It was said that Leun was started by a major Opunlensi expedition in the Leunan Sea, looking for, as always, trade. Presumably, they become shipwrecked at the capital of Leun, and founded the city right on the spot, roughly around 130 SR (Seshway calendar). Initially, a council, made of the various captains, together with a tiny bureaurcracy modeled after those of Opunlensi, if only for fimiliarity, held order as the city itself was established, and secured, and afterwards, dealt with managing the livelihood of the fledgling country as it slowly developed the previously untouched wilderness. Given what could barely be called more than a large outpost that contained only a few hundred, or maybe a few thousand people, depending on what sparse natives they could recruit for manpower, this was indeed, a very slow process.

A few years later, and much to the council's surprise, a small native kingdom to south was discovered, on the island now called Utene. Desparate for help of any kind, trade was soon established, and much needed foodstuffs was brought in to the capital, whose nearby lands, mostly sub-arid, weren't suitable for effective farming. Predictably, most of Leun quickly became fed by grain from Utene, and when a series of particularly deep droughts hit the region in general, grain shipments stopped being recieved from Utene, as they struggled to feed their own mouths, as did Leun, although to a far worse degree, its own farms quite failing to meet demand. With the entire region threatening to riot into anarchy, its was determined that largest force possible attack, occupy, and most importantly, secure the food sources of Utene. Of course, the largest force possible was a little under 300 men, armed with what the fixed supply of iron Leun could supply. However, using the merchant trick much like the Second Empire centuries ago, Utene was captured, and fairly bloodlessly at that, the people being surprisingly submissive to the men with "shiny spears" (Iron). Despite this triumph, many died during that hard time.

It was during this time however, or maybe a little after, that the king became the great ruler of Leun, possibly from the very captain who took Utene. Regardless, the transformation of the head of Leun into a monarchy marked the beginning of its yet unchecked ascent. The original council itself incorpating itself as the nobility of Leun, along with the few men already wealthy men of trade. Yes, by about 155 SR some say, solid contacts with the west were re-established, and trade, the lifeblood the world (at least from Leunan point of view), began flowing again. Coupled with successful crops leading to a population boom, Leun begin expanding in its own right, establishing a merchant outpost to aid trade with the west on the small island of Myroza to the west of Leun. The cape of Afra was also claimed, as well as the numerous islands between it's point and Utene, and several islands beyond it, one of which, Actas, turned out to be far larger than first thought, being even bigger than Utene after further exploration around the coastline and inland.

Speaking of exploration, the next major phase of Leunan history, if you would call it that, was led by exploration, as the unknown dark shroud which surrounded Leun from many angles was eagerly lifted by many young explorers of the new generations of Leun. Most importantly, this led to the discovery of the Acayan peoples and their city states to the north. A people with a strong passion for law and fairness, their republican nature was as quickly forgotten as their openness to trade was remembered. Instantly, hundreds of Leunan ships, if not all Leunan ships, could be seen at some point in their numerous journies, unloading and uploading their cargo at the many Acayan cities.

Leun however, was not the only state interested in Acayan products, and soon Western powers, namely the Opunlensi and Nahari, begun trade with Acaya, with Leun perfectly situated in between to reap the benefits. This truly marked Leun's enterance into the world as a viable power, and while it certainly couldn't match up against the likes of the Opunlensi, it could certainly control the only thing it could care about, the east-west trade route. In fact, much of Leunan expansion after the discovery of Acaya was dictated by way to further control the trade route. An outpost was established directly bordering the most southern Acayan city Isycha, while the trade town of Asardias was established just around point of Auona, and soon became the third largest city in Leun, after the capital itself and Utene (the city is named after the island). Additionally, because it seemed the only route to Acaya was around Utene to the north or south, complete Leunan control was established over the strait (of sorts), all islands being claimed for kingdom. Indeed, Leun so completely controlled the trade routes that even the mere existence of Acaya only became common knowledge to civilization of the west decades after they had acquired the products which were Acayan made.

By this point, over 100 years and 5 generations after the founding of Leun, for once, nothing notable happened in Leun. No new civilizations were discovered, nor particularly bad economic times befell the unfortunate, and maybe that was the best, for simple expansion, development, and trade certainly fit the ever growing ranks of Leun just fine.

Top Bottom