Expansion pack announced - Civilization V: Gods & Kings

Okay, this is probably just a coincidence, but I want to out it out there.
If you take a look at commonalities between the added content of the Expansion Pack and Civ 3 Conquests, then a few thing srping to mind:

* Civs:
The added civs in C3C:
.:: The Byzantines
.:: The Dutch
.:: The Hittites
.:: The Incans
.:: The Mayans
.:: The Portuguese
.:: The Sumerians
Now Portugal won't be in there and the Incans are already in the game, but it's an interesting coincidence that the Byzantines, Dutch and Mayans were also part of that expansion pack

* Scenarios:
The Conquests are official scenarios, nine of which are included in this expansion, Mesopotamia, the Rise of Rome, the Fall of Rome, the Middle Ages in Europe, Mesoamerica, the Age of Discovery, the Napoleonic Wars, the Sengoku period in Japan, and the Pacific Theater of World War II.
Interesting to see that 2 out of the 3 scenarios were also in there.

On the other hand:
The additions are also just obvious choice, they were then, and they are now.
But just wanted to mention it :p

I'm wondering if it's a new symbol for research agreement.

While I see your point with the UN for the Olive Branches. However, isn't that a common stylistic thing in the game? I don't see how the beakers have much to do with the UN.

While I see your point with the UN for the Olive Branches. However, isn't that a common stylistic thing in the game? I don't see how the beakers have much to do with the UN.

If we assume it is a resolution, I would guess that it's a unique notification for a specific resolution or type of resolution (which you gotta admit would be cool). I think this is more likely than a new RA notification simply because there's no real need for that and UN resolutions have been a "much requested feature" since launch. Obviously this is speculation, but it seems most likely to me at this point.

I could see a "UN Resolution" icon. I would be shocked if every different resolution has a different icon, though. That seems an even less efficient use of their resources than creating a Research Agreement icon. If anything, it would just be a UN Flag and you mouse over/click to find out what happened.

I'm not saying there aren't UN Resolutions (although I believe they would have hinted at it). I just don't think that's what this icon is.

ETA: For example, the only reason to think it's a UN thing is the olive branches. However, other icons have had them as well. I'm pretty sure they used it for the Golden Age. You could make a better argument that it's a "scientific golden age."

I dont' think we understood each other, by minuses, I didn't mean "bad" features but instead something that has a negative effecton your civilization, Policies don't have a negative effect, thus, there's not much opportunity cost in Policies, if Policies were made like in Nights it would've much better in my opinion.

When I talked about the gold, happines, food, I meant that negative gold makes you broke, happiness potentially creates rebellion, and food starves your cities, not that they should be rid of, but I just listed the only 3 things in the game that have a negative side, You don't lose beakers (most of the time you can have a negative science) and culture always stacks.

Understood but I think we are looking at the same thing. Let's say playing at 0 or +1 happiness is par for the game and we have to make choices to ensure it doesn't dip below 0 (or worse). But with even more happiness (for example) bonuses available to you via religion, then par would become +3 and thus, less of a challenge. The extra gold or happiness would allow to take, say, one more city and increase our bonuses even more. I simply don't like to add even more social policy-like bonuses on top of what we already have without counterbalancing consequences.

Has this been confirmed?

IGN article said that once a benefit is taken by a religion it prohibits that benefit to other religions, and screenshots confirm the Byzantines can select a "bonus" belief to their religion. Therefore every religion will have different bonuses and Genghis religion of "go fight win" might be less useful to you than Boudicca's religion of "worship trees and tithe." And spending a bunch of Faith to found your own may be less useful then to take the religion that has the bonuses you like AND then spend the faith on Holy warriors (confirmed by E. Beach as a use of Faith points).

What is not confirmed is whether the Byzantine selected bonus applies to all followers of the Byzantine religion or just them. It would make sense either way: Either the Byzantines can choose one special effect that benefits just them (like the other UAs) OR it could be included in the list of bonuses for all civs following that religion making it really desirable to sign on to the same system of faith as them (a decent early diplo bonus, in other words, with the AI).

But thinking about it I'm guessing it's the former, and the Byzantines upon having a faith basically get to choose one special bonus that only helps them.

I'm hoping that Theodora is the Leader of Byzantines, because we need moar female leaders, and if they make her as pretty as in Civ 3 that'd be awesome.

If we assume it is a resolution, I would guess that it's a unique notification for a specific resolution or type of resolution (which you gotta admit would be cool). I think this is more likely than a new RA notification simply because there's no real need for that and UN resolutions have been a "much requested feature" since launch. Obviously this is speculation, but it seems most likely to me at this point.

How about a science related quest achievement? They said they greatly expanded the quest system. "First to discover flight" or stuff like that (similar to the existing wonder and GP quests) would work.

How about a science related quest achievement? They said they greatly expanded the quest system. "First to discover flight" or stuff like that (similar to the existing wonder and GP quests) would work.

Naah, I doubt that... CS Quests used their CS icon, and I'm not sure if Civilizations get personal quests (I hope not, those Civ 4 quests were a pain in the bottom to do)

IGN article said that once a benefit is taken by a religion it prohibits that benefit to other religions, and screenshots confirm the Byzantines can select a "bonus" belief to their religion. Therefore every religion will have different bonuses and Genghis religion of "go fight win" might be less useful to you than Boudicca's religion of "worship trees and tithe."
Indeed! I just looked it up.

I'll quote the specific part:
Every religion is built on a foundation of beliefs. In Gods and Kings this comes down to five of them, chosen by the religion's creator. When you create a pantheon you pick one belief from a pool of twenty or so, and as your religion develops you get to pick more. More specifically, each time your religion produces a great prophet you get to add another two beliefs to your pool. Adding beliefs and growing your religion fast is beneficial, as taking a belief for yourself denies it to other religions.
I didn't know that :)

ETA: For example, the only reason to think it's a UN thing is the olive branches. However, other icons have had them as well. I'm pretty sure they used it for the Golden Age. You could make a better argument that it's a "scientific golden age."

Well olive branches are used in the diplomacy button (top-right of screen) so it's surely research agreements (or perhaps a new cooperative science mechanic?).

I'm hoping that Theodora is the Leader of Byzantines, because we need moar female leaders, and if they make her as pretty as in Civ 3 that'd be awesome.

theodora want a leader.it was a mistake putting her in civ 3.the only thing she did was to help solving a civil conflict between the greeks(byzantines).in my opinion the best chise is Basileios II ,he saved byzantium from destruction and took many land back from the bulgarians and the arabs

Top Bottom