End of Empires - N3S III

Shoot! I posted this story in the wrong nes. I'll post a story that was actually for this NES soon.

Waiting on Iggy's map now, I suppose.

NK, what does Kilar say to our offer?

Kilar is always happy for allies in the wider world, and would be delighted to accept the protection of the infinitely wise and just Ayasi.

We would like to note that it is necessary that neither Palmyran territory nor the territory of Subal should impinge in any way on the land that must honestly and righteously be considered part of, or directly adjacent to, the Huit Delta. We do not doubt that the drawing of the map will rightly and honestly reflect this. In addition, the territory of Palmyra is certainly not to be considered to be greater than the territory currently under Palmyran control, since, under the circumstances, it is only the land that has rebelled and is under Farubaidan control that can be considered to be under Farubaidan protection in any sense.
We recognize the lands of Palmyra to be those lands which were held by Palmyra prior to its conquest by the Kothari, minus the lands of Doral and the thinly-settled lands south of the Kothai Range.

But now, what was once promised is now made manifest. May I present...

The Peace of the Had

The city of Subal and its surrounding environs shall be returned to the Farubaida o Caroha, henceforth referred to as the Farubaida, where it shall fall under the dominion of the Haifaio Hailsia.

The land of Palmyra shall be established as a self-governing realm within the Kothari Exatai, henceforth referred to as the Exatai. It shall freely form its own laws, host no Kothari troops unless against its will, and pay one quarter of its previous tribute to the Exatai, or the cost of maintaining invited Kothari troops on its lands, whichever is greater.

Those Palmyrans and Hiuthu who have rebeled against the Exatai shall be granted amnesty and freedom, and the ability to depart from the Exatai.

The Farubaida shall compensate the Exatai with [5000].

The Exatai will recognize the Farubaida's conquest of the Imperial Opulensi Colony of Beran, and its surrounding environs, such as Sivi.

The Exatai and the Farubaida will both withdraw their forces from and halt their aggression against the recognized lands of the other.

Map

Signed by the Pentapartite Council of the Farubaida o Caroha

-Maerahulidanulae Pierocaeieia, Representative of the Council of the Highland Faeoria of Faerouhaiaou

-Loramaen Aramsayafa, Emperor of Helsia

-Duoli Pirof, On Behalf of the Council of the Northern Faeoria, King of Dremai

-Ido XXIII, King of Neruss

-Au'le, Representative of the Senate of the Union of Aya'se

Spoiler :
We recognize the lands of Palmyra to be those lands which were held by Palmyra prior to its conquest by the Kothari, minus the lands of Doral and the thinly-settled lands south of the Kothai Range.

But now, what was once promised is now made manifest. May I present...

The Peace of the Had

The city of Subal and its surrounding environs shall be returned to the Farubaida o Caroha, henceforth referred to as the Farubaida, where it shall fall under the dominion of the Haifaio Hailsia.

The land of Palmyra shall be established as a self-governing realm within the Kothari Exatai, henceforth referred to as the Exatai. It shall freely form its own laws, host no Kothari troops unless against its will, and pay one quarter of its previous tribute to the Exatai, or the cost of maintaining invited Kothari troops on its lands, whichever is greater.

Those Palmyrans and Hiuthu who have rebeled against the Exatai shall be granted amnesty and freedom, and the ability to depart from the Exatai.

The Farubaida shall compensate the Exatai with [5000].

The Exatai will recognize the Farubaida's conquest of the Imperial Opulensi Colony of Beran, and its surrounding environs, such as Sivi.

The Exatai and the Farubaida will both withdraw their forces from and halt their aggression against the recognized lands of the other.

Map

Signed by the Pentapartite Council of the Farubaida o Caroha

-Maerahulidanulae Pierocaeieia, Representative of the Council of the Highland Faeoria of Faerouhaiaou

-Loramaen Aramsayafa, Emperor of Helsia

-Duoli Pirof, On Behalf of the Council of the Northern Faeoria, King of Dremai

-Ido XXIII, King of Neruss

-Au'le, Representative of the Senate of the Union of Aya'se

The treaty therein displayed is acceptable to the Kothari Exatai, and is ratified herewith by the will of Kartis the Redeemer and Prince of the Star.

We would like to note that, in accordance with our proposal that was accepted by the Moti and by yourself, no separate standing army will be allowed to the Palmyrans.

To the Holy Moti Emperor

We do inquire of you whether it is your benevolent will to receive us also under your protectorate, as we did entreat of you previously, making us under your protection equal in your sight with those others who are under your protection.

It is accepted, then. The Ayasi is gladdened that an accord has been reached and further bloodshed averted. He also confirms, as he had promised earlier, that the Kothari Exatai shall likewise be placed under his protection.

The lands placed under the Ayasi's protection - Farubaida o Caroha, Kothari Exatai, Kilar and Jipha - retain full freedom in their internal affairs and foreign policy, in accordance with tradition and good sense; they are, however, expected to avoid supporting the Ayasi's enemies, both inside the empire and outside of it. In exchange, they need but ask for the Ayasi to support them by word or by sword against those who would attack them or rebel against them.

In addition the Ayasi pledges himself and his descendants to protect the Peace of the Had so long as this arrangement is found to be equitable by all of the sides involved. He likewise offers his mediation if those sides find it necessary to renegotiate the treaty or specify its provisions. The honourable peace attained through it is a triumph for the Good, and will benefit the peoples for years to come.

The King of Jipha agree. However, we recommend that you cease inclusions of new nations in this circle of protection. Obviously, you can not protect everyone, which is difficult and can cause conflicts of interest between people. But this is only a suggestion, since the Ayasi has the final word.

Your advice is well-taken. The Ayasi sees no reason to extend this Circle, as you have dubbed it, further as of this writing. That said, the Ayasi's armies are large enough to protect all of the guaranteed parties from any threats that can be foreseen at the present. At that, he hopes that knowledge of the Circle will by itself dissuade any would-be invaders.

What? It says 11:30 AM EST tomorrow morning?

I'm a night person, but unless I am miscalculating your morning is my night. :p

A Meeting

“Auntie! Your presence is a light on my life in these dark chambers.” The newly proclaimed Emperor of Trahana beamed far more than he had in his second coronation. The title of Emperor had been dormant in the peninsula for a thousand years. Some scholars, out of earshot of representatives of the now-imperial family, claimed the earlier emperors had never existed. But there had been some trepidation at that day: Would the first emperor in a thousand years face the same fate of decline as his ancestors? Now, however, confidence shone through.

Oleara, ruling Lady of the Jamanarr family, frail in body but strong in spirit, broke into her own smile. “My nephew. It has been far too long since last we met. And again in these dark halls! You take much after your Trahan blood, at least in preference for dark and brooding halls. I thought, before I heard your voice, I might be meeting with a stranger.”

The emperor took a tray carrying two glasses of wine from his servants and dismissed them with a smile. “No worries needed, auntie. Have some of the wine you sent to me. Forgive for having taken the first sip from my own glass. It is most exquisite, and, so they tell me, from the distant land of Gallat, of whose existence I barely know. Truly a sign of friendship. You should see the plans for a new imperial residence in the Allassai. Light and airy as a Haina merchant’s hall, even surrounded by the dark stone of the mountains, it will be, though for now its construction is years away. But, come, I would be very disappointed if you had come only to discuss drink and architecture.”

“And you would be right to be disappointed. Such trivialities are good for entertainment and little else. No, you know why I have come to the darker halls of Traha in your flowering empire.”

At this, the emperor stood and paced. After a short while, he responded only, “Why, dear auntie?”

That elicited a short laugh. “Because I love you so! You are family, as much as you are now emperor of a great and powerful empire on our doorstep.

“And there has been a great deal of foolishness in Haina. Family must stick together in such times. Thankfully, our family has been spared the worst of the generations-long overseas errand. As you know, your great-grandfather put little stock in the adventure to begin with. We have at times supported the southern trade at court, but only because it distracted the Sibal family, irritating people born with spice in the place of brains that they are.

“Yet sadly they are the only family of Haina to wield more influence and power than we. The Suran project has always been their baby, and many of their soldiers have been deployed overseas for an age of the Machai! Lord Gadnon long courted me for my investment in Suran, but I always thought the west a safer bet, as it is now proving. You were part of that bet, of course, or at least your mother’s marriage was. Your throne was an unforeseen bonus.

“You know, the royal Ulta family, weak though they are today and under the thumb of the Sibals, once plotted to invade the Dulama Empire! That would have been a disaster of epic proportions. The greatest deed your grandfather ever did for Haina was his alliance with the Sibals to undermine royal authority with that plan afoot. We might not have survived, otherwise, and the Dulama would be at Trahana’s doorstep.” The Lady of Jamanarr paused for a moment, tapping a finger at her lips. Had the emperor not known better, he would have though she was taken aback at her own verbosity. But he knew her too well: Everything his aunt Oleara said was important.

The emperor sat again, leaning against the side of the wide-armed chair and staring intently at Oleara. “And you wish Trahana to do something about this foolishness?”

His aunt tsked. “Not so much do something as hear my lament, though actions have been said to mean more than listening. Haina is not what it was in your grandfather’s day. I do not intend to be remembered as the ruling Lady who led the Jamanarr family down the path of decline with the rest of the realm. Close ties to Trahana were always part of the solution for our family, though it was beyond my expectations to seat my nephew on their throne!” She paused for a moment, sipping her glass of Gallasene wine.

“No, no, no. There has been dissent simmering among the other great families in Thagnor for quite some time now. No one has yet seen fit to move openly against the Sibals and their allies. Each family has, for now, their own separate interests. Some are friends with this deceitful pirate-emperor in Saigh with whom we must now contend. They are fools, but dangerous ones. Others would continue the Suran mishap, only replacing Sibal troops with their own. Less dangerous fools, they. A few see eye-to-eye with us and know that a close relationship with your empire is the only way forward. Then there are those who do not really what they think but could be convinced by the proper showing.

As for the Jamanarr, we have drawn our naval forces together in the Morghesou[1] to keep our remove until the time is right. Our personal house armies are stationed near the family estates outside of Daran and Felidor[2], though many are in the Morghesou as well. All this you know, of course. I say it only to remind you: the Jamanarr family will always stand behind the decisions of the Emperor of Trahana. And our peoples have much in common; an emperor, at the very least.”

At that, the emperor and his aunt only smiled at one another.

[1]Islands south of the Bay of Morghes
[2]City in Haina, west of Thagnor

Have I sent my orders yet?

Orders sent on Friday. Have you received them, NK?

RP will come by the end of the weekend.

Top Bottom