New NESes, ideas, development, etc

@nutranurse I really like the idea - I attempted something similar once (or twice). I'd definitely be in for the system/planet building phase at least.

I would join if I realize it goes up. But I don't check for new NESes too often.

What is the perfect length (in-game time) for a NES update, in ereune's (everyone's) opinion? Obviously the type of game influences this.

That's overrated.

The real answer is it totally depends on the NES, genre, and how far into the NES it is.

Had other idea, running from my previous one: Assiti Shards NES. Or, in other words, ISOT NES.

Basically, we pick several cities from the present (or the future, which would be even better) and drop them in a past time, around the Bronze Age, for example. Downtimers (name for the people from the future) are in limited number and do not know much about the place where they are, but they have the advantage of having technology, an advantage that may, at any moment, vanish, unless they work to supply themselves with what they need. Meanwhile, uptimers are already established and are more numerous, so they could easily overwhelm the downtimers.

Downtimers could, of course, try to establish themselves as gods thanks to their technology (Clarke's third law) or could use that technology to "upgrade" their neighboring uptimer nations and create a great empire (as in 1632, but bigger).

We could either go with players being only uptimers, or we could go with players as both uptimers and downtimers.

And all of it could go tied to my previous ideas.

What do you think?

Had other idea, running from my previous one: Assiti Shards NES. Or, in other words, ISOT NES.

Basically, we pick several cities from the present (or the future, which would be even better) and drop them in a past time, around the Bronze Age, for example. Downtimers (name for the people from the future) are in limited number and do not know much about the place where they are, but they have the advantage of having technology, an advantage that may, at any moment, vanish, unless they work to supply themselves with what they need. Meanwhile, uptimers are already established and are more numerous, so they could easily overwhelm the downtimers.

Downtimers could, of course, try to establish themselves as gods thanks to their technology (Clarke's third law) or could use that technology to "upgrade" their neighboring uptimer nations and create a great empire (as in 1632, but bigger).

We could either go with players being only uptimers, or we could go with players as both uptimers and downtimers.

And all of it could go tied to my previous ideas.

What do you think?

It's very interesting. I'm interested =) I personally feel that having players as both down and uptimers, would result an alliance between two players, where one supplies army and other weapons for it. Whilst alliances with NPC's tend to take more persuading, roleplaying and NPC's tend to react to situations differently and more rashly than players (making it more important keeping high relations and handling politics/resources with care).

I'm trying to come up with a House management system to put into a Savage Worlds (tabletop RPG) campaign, to simulate something close to the politics of A Song of Ice and Fire. Without going too much into it, houses have 5 traits rated by different die (bigger is better, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12).

Traits - Military, Commerce, Industry, Culture, Growth

The houses also have a few stats.

Stats - Population, Coffers, Supplies, Influence, Lands

Each season, Prosperity Rolls are made using the trait dice. You get a number of prosperity rolls as equal to your population (so population is an abstract rating, fairly low). You then get to decide which combination of trait rolls you want to make.

Commerce rolls add to coffers. Industry aids in production. Culture adds to influence. Military adds to garrisoned units XP. Growth adds to supplies.

Influence can be spent on throwing tournaments, gaining allies, diplomatic negotiations, feasts, gaining favor with other lords, etc. It also should be spent to decrease Corruption

Corruption is a negative modifier to all trait rolls. It is based on Population (more crime), Coffers (corrupt officials, bureaucracy) and lands (harder to maintain order in a larger realm).

Supplies are spent on population increases and are important to have in the case of siege warfare.

Production is used to build improvements and train units.

That's just a little taste I guess. Right now it is all very abstract and I haven't gotten into inserting actual numbers, rating or figuring out how well its going to scale.

Any cool suggestions? Has anything similar like this been done before? It just seems like this is right up NES's alley.

Seems okay to me. I wouldn't know, I'm not familiar with the show. :p

In other news, I'm still interested in reviving a Superhero/Supervillain NES. I'm considering hosting something along those lines when this semester ends in the beginning of May. Like I've said before, mostly stories, few stats. If I go through with it, it WILL be my first one, so any tips, criticism, and suggestions are welcomed.

About the ISOT NES: these are more ideas that could be used.
Times in which the ISOTs would "land":
  • Bronze Age: it would have a huge technological gap between downtimers and uptimers, but there would not be many people, and organized nations are minimal.
  • Classical Age: smaller tech gap, the Roman Empire and other empires exist already. Downtimers would have a greater chance to become gods, but the number of enemies is great.
  • Middle Ages: Christianism is already existant, and, as such, downtimers cannot try to pass themselves as gods unless they go for some place where there is no Christianity. Technology gap is smaller, of course.
The further back you go, the more complicated it would be for you to be able to communicate with the locals. Of course, in the Classical and Middle Ages, you can always try with Latin...
Also, ISOTs would have several stats to determine what they have at the start of the NES:
  • Farming: the ISOT has farms around it, that allow the ISOT to feed itself with more or less efficiency.
  • Mining: the ISOT has mines of coal/iron/whatever around it, resources that might be useful.
  • Factories: the ISOT has factories and perhaps a small power plant, which aids in keeping the town afloat.
  • Military: the ISOT has military bases within it.

What do you think?

Well I am bored an really want to NES some more, but am currently waiting on a couple players to get their orders in (for one of my NES') and pretty much all of my players to get their orders in (for my other NES), so I figured I would spend my allotted procrastination time brainstorming Epoch II of StarNES.

Epoch II Design​

Now, as mentioned above, Epoch II is the stage in my community world-building exercise where we begin to introduce actual creatures to the game. A couple players have requested it, and I wholeheartedly agree, that this would also be a cool time to introduce various 'precursor' artifacts, such as ominous black monoliths, strange ruined temples, etc. etc.. But first let me go over how I think I would handle creating creatures:

Spacefaring Races
Not every planet can hold sentient creatures. In fact I initially considered restricting sentient creatures to 'Gaian' level planets (Gaian levels being Earth-like planets in terms of climate, atmosphere, and general level of habitability). Now, yes, this would certainly have put a damper on player-made species, not to mention make it impossible for stranger species to arise, such as a race of rock-eating molemen who make their home on a barely habitable rock, or cunning planet-eating space-monsters that glide through the galaxy's nebulae (yes, space-monsters will exist). Therefore I have devised the 'March of Progress' system, a gradual approach to making a player-made species into intelligent spacefaring races that will feature in the future epochs.

Sentient Species Overview
Now let me say this right off the bat: I am throwing science out the door in favor of a more 'galactic supreme creator' approach. If the ability for players to form stars at whim, conjure up gas giants with a click of a mouse, and condense terrestrial planets into being with a few key strokes has not clued you into my, quite frankly, lazy approach to scifi then this stage probably will. I am a long-time lurker of Lord Iggy's GalaxyNES, so maybe that will clue you in on how I envision alien races:

Creativity is king here, bizarre is good!

Again, initially I had planned for something limiting and quite frankly un-fun: a system of traits organized into various categories (physiology, society, morality). This quickly became unwieldy and more work than I would want from a NES-lite (besides, if I were looking to go into such mind-boggling detail I would whip up some excel spreadsheets ala Disenfranchised's SysNES2 (which looks like it will be amazing, but oh so daunting)). Instead, players will just describe what their species are like and are only forced to fill out three sections:

Species: A brief description of your creation's physiological make-up, this includes any strange space-magicy stuff that you happen to purchase with GC¤ (telepathy, psychokinesis, astral ties, etc.)
Values: A brief description of just what makes your creation different from dumb animals, i.e. an unerring desire to eat or a never-ending quest for perfection or the debilitating love of all things shiny
Dominance: A brief description of how your creation has managed to become the 'top-dog' of its society: are they naturally armored? really good at breeding so just outnumber everything? particularly cunning?

Now, before a player can do any of this they have to invest the initial amount of GC¤ required to create a sentient species. Exactly how much this is I am not entirely sure of just yet, though it will be fairly high so as to make sentient species rarer. However, players get to make one free sentient race.

March of Progress
Creating a sentient race is easy enough, it is guiding the creation to the point of development where they can begin to traverse space that is the hard part. Players will have to spend GC¤ each turn on advancing the development of a sentient species. Each stage along the march will cost some GC¤, whether or not this cost increases incrementally I have yet to decide. However, each stage is harder to achieve (chances of failure increase), and other players have tools to attempt to bring other species down. There are ten stages in total, though the first species that players create begin at stage 2 (tribal). In this way we will kind of simultaneously write multiple histories of the various sentient species all across the galaxy. Once a species hits stage 10 then it is considered to be Pre-Spacefaring and can attain no more levels. The first species to hit Pre-Spacefaring probably will get some sort of minor bonus in Epoch III (the epoch in which players get to control the expansion of various space-races).

Multiple sentient species can exist on the same planet (which will most likely result in some interesting updates) so long as there development slots. Uninhabitable Planets have 0 development slots; Somewhat habitable planets have 1 development slot; Habitable planets have 2 development slots; Gaian planets have 3 development slots.

Notable Flora & Fauna
Not only will players begin to craft their bizarre sentient species, but they will be able to litter the galaxy with various notable plants and animals that will more so come into play in Epoch IV (when the "NES" begins). These creations can be anything, ranging from fruits that double as cures to cancer to three-ton bison-bears that shoot out fire. The amount of notable flora & fauna that can be placed on a planet is tied directly to the planet's habitable-level: somewhat habitable planets have 1 slot; habitable planets have 2 slots; and gaian planets have 3 slots. GC¤ comes into play here as players can purchase extra 'traits' for the notable flora/fauna (i.e. that three-ton bison-bear would require two slots: one for being a three-ton bison bear, another for being able to shoot fire).

More information later.

@Milarqui: Interesting, I'd probably play.

DnDNES, for those of us with irregular schedules. :0

How would that be carried out?

edit: No really, I'm interested in how people might model a NES based on player characters/heroes running amok in the world.

Top Bottom