Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

drahnier said:
Are England and Germany actually the only civs in the game that both have exactly the same color?

I've only played a few games, but it seems like all the other civs have slightly varied colors (like light and dark green), while England and Germany are actually both white.

And if this is the case...why would they do that?

P.S. You need a forum search function.

On my computer, Germany and England do have a slightly different shade. They are very similar. Sometimes I need to look twice, but Germany is a bit darker on my screen though.

Thanks for the reply, perhaps that is it, but it seems to often happen when I have a much stronger unit vs my enemy. perhaps you are correct though.

But you have noticed the same thing regarding unit STR? Was not sure if I was bugged, crazy, or simply missing some aspect of combat...

I haven't payed attention to it myself, but i saw something similar in another thread about how you can tell who will win a battle right from the start by checking the unit stats, so i assume that's it.

About the colors: I found the Germans were a bit darker colored in the graphs for score, power and culture, but that the units, cities and the names in the score list in the bottom right corner were equally white for both Germany and England.

Mirc said:
I bought it perfectly legal and payed a fortune for it!
What do you mean, there were even threads about something like: in Europe the game is on DVD, in USA on CD.

OK, Take2 doesn't seem to have any documentation for the DVD version on their website, so I guess it's not surprising that it has some problems.

Too bad that Civ4 doesn't have a publisher of the same quality as its developer.

DaviddesJ said:
...Too bad that Civ4 doesn't have a publisher of the same quality as its developer.
Agreed. (I lost a lot of money on their stock last quarter!).....But remember, TakeTwo bought Firaxis last year and gave them (presumably) a much-needed cash infusion......So Sid, Jeff et al should be pretty happy........SO, if Sid's Happy, We're Happy! :)

stagtown said:
Can someone please let me know how to make the game automatically send (or just send within the game) the save for pbem (play by email) games after I make my turn? It's less convenient to have to open up my browser and send manually.

Thanks!

I use gmail. Patch 1.52 made it possible to type in the SMPT (SMTP?) server, login, all that good stuff, within the game as oppose to the config file. I put down www.gmail.com as the server name...but it didn't work. Can someone tell me what fields require what info?

Moonsinger said:
Sorry, if this has been asked before, but how can I reset/clear the HOF? (not the HOF at CivFanatics but the HOF for Civ4 on my home computer)

Does anyone know the answer to this one? Thanks!

Mirc said:
Can anyone explain me what's hotseat, and the other multiplayer types?
Hotseat is when multiple people play on the same computer and take turns. Direct ip is when you know the ip address of someone and you play directly. PBEM is when you play someone by sending to eachother completed turns via email, and internet is when you use gamespy to play someone.

Moonsinger said:
Does anyone know the answer to this one? Thanks!

Go to your civ4 folder. Inside that there is a folder called "civ4replays" or something like that. In that folder you will find all your HOF files.

I have another question. I was attacking one civ., and then all of a sudden, I could move to within one tile of the citys, but could not attack. So, I attacked a different one, which eventually did the same thing. I read on the forums somewhere, that one of the other civs may have alliances creating this problem, so I declared war on all of them and I still cannot attack. Can anyone let me know what is going on?
Thanks
Dawg

Dawg said:
I have another question. I was attacking one civ., and then all of a sudden, I could move to within one tile of the citys, but could not attack. So, I attacked a different one, which eventually did the same thing. I read on the forums somewhere, that one of the other civs may have alliances creating this problem, so I declared war on all of them and I still cannot attack. Can anyone let me know what is going on?
Thanks
Dawg

I don't think there should ever be a situation where you are at war with an opponent but can't attack it. Can you post a save file?

Civrules said:
Civilization IV: Quick Answers

Hi everyone!

In this thread, feel free to ask basic questions about Civilization IV. This should make it easier for you guys to get answers quicker, and it should also separate discussion threads from more basic questions. :) With time, this will make it possible for us to put together an official Civilization IV FAQ article as well. If you aren't in a rush to post any questions, make sure to read through the available information, which is likely to answer a lot of questions itself.

Just post your questions here without worrying about if it's already covered somewhere else, and hopefully some of the experts will answer them.

I encourage everyone to participate here, answering questions they can. Thanks!
hi, I think this questions tough, cause i"m at the stage where one of my rivals is using there spy to sabotage my oil wells and coal mines etc., and my spy is on that tile that keeps getting sabotaged and does nothing, nor is there any icon to select to expose enemy spy, so my question is how do we expose enemy spy? Also in civ3 there was the "Go to" icon where we can send troops off in numbers to cities or anywhere, is this function enabled in civ 4 if so how?

goldrapalla said:
On my computer, Germany and England do have a slightly different shade. They are very similar. Sometimes I need to look twice, but Germany is a bit darker on my screen though.

Thanks for the reply, perhaps that is it, but it seems to often happen when I have a much stronger unit vs my enemy. perhaps you are correct though.

But you have noticed the same thing regarding unit STR? Was not sure if I was bugged, crazy, or simply missing some aspect of combat...

Yes, they're irritatingly similar but not identical. As for units, the Germans have the black cross on a white flag and the English have a red cross on a white flag.

ccaruso@bigpond said:
hi, I think this questions tough, cause i"m at the stage where one of my rivals is using there spy to sabotage my oil wells and coal mines etc., and my spy is on that tile that keeps getting sabotaged and does nothing, nor is there any icon to select to expose enemy spy, so my question is how do we expose enemy spy? Also in civ3 there was the "Go to" icon where we can send troops off in numbers to cities or anywhere, is this function enabled in civ 4 if so how?

I don't think you can expose their spy until it acts, in which case your spy will make it more likely to fail and be captured.

ccaruso@bigpond said:
Also in civ3 there was the "Go to" icon where we can send troops off in numbers to cities or anywhere, is this function enabled in civ 4 if so how?

Actually, this feature is enhanced in civ4.
To select multiple units, they need to be on the same tile. Near the bottom of the screen, you can see icons of all the units on the tile you've clicked.
To select all units of a type, hold ctrl while clicking on one of those units.
To select all units on a tile, hold alt while clicking any unit.
To select single units to be in a group, hold shift and click on the unit you want to add.
There's a lot of useful features connected to this. For example, when you have multiple workrs selected, they can do the same worker action together, if you order them to do it. It's very anoying when you have to click the "build plantation" button ten times in a row, and by grouping the units, you only have to do it once.

Is it possible to install different versions of Civs on the same computer? I received Civ IV as a gift preloaded on an updated computer. When I try to instal Civ 3, I get an error message. Is also possible to load Civ Complete in different directories?:confused:

1. Can I sell buildings for money in Civ4?
2. Can I disband units for shie.. hammers in Civ4?
3. Does aqueduct give +2 health if the city has fresh water (river,lake) already?
4. Does the amount of buildings count in civic upkeep?

Someone add health icon to smilies list.. might be useful at this forum.

Hi i am having problems with my civ4. in the in game the terrain is not visible... it is bare black. only units are visible. but this does not occur when i play scenarips such as the desert war... any solutions? from pitchbendz@yahoo.com

pitchbendz said:
Hi i am having problems with my civ4. in the in game the terrain is not visible... it is bare black. only units are visible. but this does not occur when i play scenarips such as the desert war... any solutions? from pitchbendz@yahoo.com

Do you have the latest patch? If not, download it.

Top Bottom