Brave New World reviews

It's IGN though, tread carefully.

AI still neglecting its medication and unpredictable:(. It's what I feared and expected.

IGN score typically means how much a x developer was willing to pay a reviewer, or so I heard.

Still, the high scores appear everywhere, probably thanks to Awesome Venice (which was mentioned in every review I saw except for one) and late game changes.

Don't look at the score. Look at the content. Sometimes IGN reviews will hate on a game in the actual article, but still give the game itself a decent score. Logic, makes none.

Gaming 'journalism' is the biggest joke of the 21st Century. All of them give outlandishly high scores to games published by big developers. Game Informer, IGN, *shudder* Kotaku are terrible.

Not saying that BNW world will be bad in any way, but that coming from the mouth of these frauds means nothing

It does come with a nice 10 minute video of Morocco gameplay.

Although the commentary is like:
A: The camel for trade route, is that Moroccan specific, or generic for everybody?
B: Uhm, not really sure, I've only been able to play 2-3 games so far. :crazyeye:

Still don't think it means anything. On Metacritic, Civ V vanilla has a 90%, and G&K has an 80%. I'm pretty sure its the unanimous opinion of everyone on this board that G&K improved greatly on Vanilla; the scores don't reflect that at all, and don't really seem to mean much.

I suppose you could argue that the lesser score was because it was only adding to the base game... but still, you're almost certainly right. This stuff is mostly meaningless.

GameStar (German) gave it a 84/100. They gave CiV vanilla an 87/100.

They remarked that turn times got worse, though.

My turn times got much better since the latest patch (thought the patch also introduced a fun Golden Age bug).
IIRC Gamestar also said Civ5 was excellent (when it was still broken) and called Gods and Kings disappointing, so their opinion doesn't count.

Well... Let's put it this way: I'd want friends if they did my bidding at each and every turn. :p Humans are too fickle and needy beings and I hated 'friend management' when I still had a few rl friends. (Perhaps I was Enrico Dandolo in a past life! :lol:)
So, is there any chance you've seen a psychiatrist about that probable narcissistic/antisocial personality disorder? Humans aren't that far from AIs if you think about it - just a set of pre-programmed responses based on past experience and hardware; they're only fickle if you're looking at them the way you do CiV's AI: how well they work towards achieving YOUR goals. The default state is going to be working towards their own goals, so you just need to find one whose goals naturally mesh with yours in a mutually beneficial relationship - and realize that this will only be as reliable as long as the relationship remains mutually beneficial; CiV can only have one winner, so at the end of the day it would be silly for an AI not to turn on you eventually. This was the problem with Civ IV - the AI was too friendly and let you walk away with victory.

How many of you have watched the video "let's plays" or whatever in full screen mode, high def and instinctively tried to click on something in the video as if you're playing it yourself? I know I have ;).

It gets me every time. :blush:

I suppose you could argue that the lesser score was because it was only adding to the base game... but still, you're almost certainly right. This stuff is mostly meaningless.

It's meaningful relatively speaking. Expansions always get lower scores than full games. A 9.4 on IGN is actually incredible for an expansion.

To have an expansion beat the first expansion (not unusual) AND the base game (very unusual) in incredible. To have it beat a 9.0 base game... I'm actually not sure this has ever happened before on IGN for PC at least. Makes sense, BNW is pretty much overhauling the entire last 1/3rd of the game WHILE adding 9 civs worth of re-playable content.

The only knock was on the AI, and what I've learned from reading these boards and my experience with G&K is that for the most part, complaints about the AI are just from people who have no idea how the AI thinks and can't figure it out (especially as the reviewer probably only played a game or two). AI in G&K was really quite stable, manipulable, and predictable, at least on Immortal difficulty... despite all the complaints about arbitrariness. I do expect the AI to be slightly rocky on release, and to get better with the fall patch though once more testing data points and strategies for exploiting the AI are in.

Top Bottom