Brave New World reviews

A lot of the reviews say that this is the main thing thats been addressed, and the end game is now much more enjoyable, so I cant wait to try that.

I wouldn't say the "end" game but the industrial era. Archaeology does add a little bit of management, but only if you're going for a culture/tourism victory and only if you're not otherwise busy with something. . . other than that it's pretty much the same.

I agree with the "more money than you can spend". . . literally. I had taken London and turned it into a trade hub with 6 cargo ships trading with city states. I'm sitting on 2000+ gold and buying late game buildings and paying off city states like it's nothing. . . this is on King too, which is my normal mode.

Isn't this always true, though? Late game in G&K I always have more money than I know what to do with.

Good points all, but to be fair, the combat AI misses some really basic strategic concepts. I think most have no problems with the AI not being perfect, but the AI inability to place it's units even semi-strategically is a more than fair criticism at this point.

However, you're totally right about goal post moving. People forget what an unmitigated disaster the vanilla Civ 5 AI was. We've come a long way.

I think something akin to an openAI project would be usefull. No need to reinvent the wheel everytime.

Basic common sense rules could go a long way combined with a proper weighing of objectives.

As it is currently with AI and if you don't use scripting we have something akin to this in a ww2 game: Denmark starting out by invading Germany. Or Germany launching a sea invasion to Cuba.

Small powers not acting like small powers and no prioritization of territories. An ai imitating to be germany would declare war for the sake of declaring war. Not because it wanted the sudetenland back .

But yeah ... sorry this is off topic. :)

I can't stop laughing at this paragraph from Google's translation for that review:
"Now, tell me, what this expansion pack? The game is still the same is fundamentally broken, new decisions generally do not have strategic importance and AIčko is still stupid as putštok. If this is not the rabid tipping of the table and out into the misty distance you've calmed down indefinitely activities, hide from the eyes of the world, so I don't know."
:lol: I think that's my new nickname for the AI... Putštok. Describes it perfectly, whatever it means. :goodjob: And ofc that final sentence truly reaches into the mists of horrific incomprehension that even Cthulhu couldn't make sense of... I've tipped over many a table, but never done it rabidly. Kudos to google for making my day here. :lol:

Otherwise it reminds me of the 'buckets' review... If Civ V is not your cup of tea, you shouldn't review its expansions. Period.

I'm still waiting for the review from 1 up. Be interesting to see what Tom has to say.

I played too late last night. I read the Venture Beat article and thought it was a little harsh, how many hours has he put into the game, it just doesn't seem like Civ is his cup of tea.

I want to know more about cultural theming of artifects. I started to swap mine late last night, not sure if I made good decisions, I then moved them around my cities to see if my culture produced would go up.

I'm actually doing pretty well as Babylon on level 5, I usually play at a higher level, but Babylon is nice and safe. I even went with Tradition instead of Liberty and my now traditional Archery then Writing then whatever it is I need to build Stonehenge. That's my fallback opening since Gods & Kings.

I think I did most of my playing of Civ V before the expansions... Will have to see if I can finish my game tonight, one thing I noticed is the game seems to run better than it did as Gods & Kings which was a pleasent surprise as my MacBook Pro is not officially supported or the video card isn't...

Aussie site games on net has this up:

http://games.on.net/2013/07/civilization-v-brave-new-world-reviewed-finally-the-system-works/

Oh my god yes. I've clicked on cities, moved the cursor, tried to do all sorts of stuff. I always feel silly hahaha.

Goddamn I can't wait until Friday (an Aussie) am definitely looking forward to giving the trade system a crack. Also I'll be ramping up the difficulty for this to see how it goes.

Have to say that this was a great review, & definitely raises my expectations for the game. As to those who complain about the difficulty of maintaining a huge army-due to cost-all I can say is "boo hoo, cry me a river" ;-).

Aussie.

Dutch review from InsideGamer, very straightforward and positive

http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/106005/civilization-v-a-brave-new-world-review

9/10

+ Trade
+ Tourism
+ Word Congress

- Difficult Cultural Victory

Another one from XGN

http://www.xgn.nl/pc/review/47546/civilization-v-brave-new-world/

8.5/10

+ More focus on diplomacy
+ Lots of new content

- Graphical issues

Next up: 9lives (Flemish)

http://pc.9lives.be/games/civilization-v-brave-new-world/reviews/civilization-v-brave-new-world

88/100

+ Weakness of end game fixed
+ This makes the game longer and more relevant
+ Many gamers were waiting for the cultural elements
+ Lots of fun new stuff, including scenario's and civilizations

- World congress enters the game too late
- Ideologies much too late
- Not accessible enough anymore for new players
- Maybe a little too tedious at the end

- World congress enters the game too late
- Ideologies much too late
- Not accessible enough anymore for new players

Even though I don't get the game until Friday, I'm already of the opinion that these "negatives" are actually dead wrong. Having the World Congress kick off around the mid to late Renaissance makes perfect sense to me, & having it held back until you have at *least* met all the other Civs is a perfect way to encourage a more pro-active approach to exploration!

Similarly, if Ideologies came in much sooner, I suspect it would be much too easy to finish all 3 tiers before the end of the game-thus removing one of the best parts of these systems-*tough* choices. With the removal of the Utopia Project requirements, the entire SP+Ideology trees seem to be more about difficult choices....which is a *GOOD* thing ;-).

On the last point, it might be true but-quite frankly-I think its highly unwise for new players to start a game with all expansions in place. If someone told me they were about to play Civ5 for the very first time, I'd strongly suggest they start with the base game for several months first, then build up with a new expansion every few months!

Aussie.

Although I have never been hit by a nuclear first strike in game, I do like the idea of treaties limiting/prohibiting the use of nuclear weapons. I love a bit of realism in my game, and a bit of safety!!! lol :) Can't wait to get my hands on this!

Top Bottom