POLAND UA may be my favorite UA

So, Poland's UA, which gives a free SP with every era, may be perhaps the best UA out there, simply because it is a gift that keeps on giving, making it valuable from beginning to finish. 6 (maybe 7, I forget) free SPs throughout the game are quite helpful indeed.

Also, it works on every single map (unlike Indonesia on pangaeas or Spain without Natural Wonders), and under every condition (focus on quickly filling up Tradition SP for a strong capital or get strong warriors using Honor). Similar to religion, it allows you to pick your bonuses to better suit your civ rather than being stuck with a civ that gives you free harbors on a landlocked continent or war bonuses when you're stuck on an island without neighbors to pick on.

Of course, their UB & UA are dependent on horses and pastures, but it's their UA that impresses me most (I will admit, red & black are my favorite color combinations, making me a little biased lol).

Thoughts?

I like Poland's UA too. Powerful on all fronts. Free policies early on give something of a head start and eventually it accumulates into a full policy tree free of charge.

Just finished a game as Poland...won a Cultural victory in the late 1960's on standard speed. I had completely filled Liberty, Aesthetics, Commerce and Rationalism as well as every slot in my Ideology.

I had just started down the Patronage tree as well since I was running out places to spend my 1000+ culture per turn. :p

Yeah, the only problem I had was that I was having a tough time choosing which of the less interesting leftovers to pick. First Poland problems.

I've started playing Poland yesterday and so far I really like them =) the UA is indeed really good and I love the boost from the stables. And I haven't got to the Winged Hussars yet....

Their UB is none too shabby, neither. Extra hammers is always win. Overall solid Civ!

I've never used it but the games I've played (immortal) Poland is always a juggernaut of an AI. My last game was like a 2000 year cold war with units on both sides stacked at our borders and me constantly bribing him into war while my spies told of his plots against me.

Finally in the end I did what I had to and turned his vast lands into a giant green and empty parking lot.

In game this guy is a brutal warmonger who always seems to get massive cities while completely ignoring city state diplomacy and conquering them at will.

I also really love Poland, but I am trying to avoid playing them too much because switching from them back to other civs with normal policy gaining feels agonizing.

I played an Emperor/Duel to try Poland out, and:

The UA is more than a full SP tree by the end, yes. That sounds fairly powerful, but bear in mind that unless your science is high and you constantly bee-line the fastest path to the next era (regardless of whatever techs you might actually need), you aren't going to be picking up free SPs very quickly. Moreover, only 3 free SPs occur in the early game (Ancient/Classical/Medieval).

The Polish UA is very helpful all-the-same, but not quite as good as some are making out. I find the Polish UA is most helpful in finishing off that first SP tree, as on Standard (and depending on my culture) I end up having my 3rd and 5th SPs in that first tree coming from the UA. Or somewhere there-abouts.

The Polish UA I now look at like I did the old French UA. The old French UA helped me fill my first SP tree significantly more quickly, and that's the real draw of the Polish UA. Finishing Liberty or Tradition that much faster can be very important (free GE for wonders is always far, far better if you can get it 20 turns earlier than usual).

I'd guess it is more useful for empires running low culture (war-mongerers, wider gold/faith). Culture empires are already knocking out new policies every 8-10 turns anyway, UA would just be overkill at that point.

Poland are one of my favourites now. But Inca are still up there. This is for immortal play.

I can concentrate solely on science like i normally do, but i find my culture really lacks if i don't get lucky with culture city states. This ability means i can complete rationalism in a more decent timeframe, making the tech win faster. I even like there unique building for some extra gpt and it costs 25 less hammers to build. :)

What i don't like is there music, i find it quite annoying lol. Might have to turn it off after a while and that would be a first for me.

I'd guess it is more useful for empires running low culture (war-mongerers, wider gold/faith). Culture empires are already knocking out new policies every 8-10 turns anyway, UA would just be overkill at that point.

Well, in the late game with Poland I had actually unlocked every policy I really wanted. I don't think those extras went to waste though, they give a lot of extra flexibility.

Top Bottom