People seem to not understand something about continents (Indonesia)

KevinJK

Warlord
There are always four continents on a map as far as the game is concerned. When a map is generated, every non-water tile is assigned to be Africa, America, Asia, or Europe. Every one of them, and all four are always used. If you play Indonesia on a Pangaea map, just go found your spice cities on another part of the supercontinent. It's not a situational trait. There's a gamble in that you might start right next to tiles that are considered another continent and you might not, but it isn't situational.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Are you saying that on a Pangea map, different sides of the same continent are considered separate continents?

I was always under the impression that a continent to the game was something that can only be reached by embarking, so for example if there is a mountain range that divides a continent totally, it would be considered 2 continents.

And what about map scripts like archipelago? Are you saying there is only 4 continents on those?

Yes to all.

A continent as the game is concerned is not the same as what you would think. There are always four: Africa, America, Asia, and Europe. Every land tile gets assigned them and, yes, there may be a continental divide right in the middle of a large landmass you'd call a continent.

just go found your spice cities on another part of the supercontinent.
actually you don't need to found cities to have those exclusive spice. Just conquer a CS or any city on other continent type. You know the Indonesian bug. :crazyeye:

And how exactly is someone supposed to know in game where these boundaries are?

What of island maps? There are more than 4 islands often. How do those function?

What of island maps? There are more than 4 islands often. How do those function?

Islands are not connected and are therefore considered a continent.

play 5 games take screen shot of each grassland and mountains and forest, and american continent forest looks like on fall season, while European forest looks in spring, Asian looks like just a normal forest, African forest looks so very dirty same as their mountains. :D

This is false. Conquistadors cannot found anywhere on the supercontinent of Pangea, despite the fact that their ability is worded the same.

You guys think it depends on size? Playing on Tiny.

I just tried this out on what I thought were different continents (literally, other side of Pangaea) and nothing. So ya sorry OP, but for now, I can say that it Pangaea is 1 continent.

I was always under the impression that a continent to the game was something that can only be reached by embarking, so for example if there is a mountain range that divides a continent totally, it would be considered 2 continents?

This doesn't seem to be the case. I settled a city on a single hill tile completely cut off by mountains and got nothing...

The game actually does define continents for each tile, though. You're telling me these get ignored anyway?

Well, I was wrong then. That's very strange for it to not use them, but whatever.

The game actually does define continents for each tile, though. You're telling me these get ignored anyway?

Well, I was wrong then. That's very strange for it to not use them, but whatever.

those are flags for the art assets so that the game knows which type of desert or forest etc to show. Ie, it's all graphics related.

No worries. A lot of us were hoping it was true so Indonesia would be a lot more enjoyable.

It's alright though. They rock on Archipelago, Fractals, and Large Islands. Pangaea is still doable, but it's harder finding islands to settle on. They seem to always spawn OPPOSITE of Indonesia. XD

Sorry to post in a dead thread but incase someone stumbles upon this thread, most abilities depend on landmasses when they refer to continents as in Conquistadors and Indonesia's abilities

Top Bottom