Axeman Speculation

Given the fact we had basically caught up to you Europeans despite you all getting thousands of years of a head start and we had already developed more math and agriculture than you all had in hundreds of thousands of years says something about the history of our "tribes" :lol:

I would be very excited for an Algonquin tribe (Hurons?) or Shawnees or something similar. But my guess would be simply a barb archer replacement.

I agree, those seem to be the major ideas coming out on this thread. They make the most sense so far.

Isnt it getting a little bit out of hand with all these tribes becoming civilizations all of a sudden?
Cant Firaxis just stick to real civilizations for the Civilization game? We can have the Disney civs in another game perhaps?

Keep it real.

Because obviously anyone who doesn't use the Latin or Greek alphabet and isn't a Judaeo-Christian culture can't build cities and develop advanced societies.

There were "advanced" "tribes" in the Americas that developed what we would consider "civlizations". Take for instance, the Pueblo that Firaxis was thinking about putting in, who developed sizable communities around large canyons (a rather unique innovation) and utilized agriculture and road systems in their civilization, and who traded long-distance with the Aztecs and other MesoAmericans to the south and various other "tribes" to the North. These cultures of the southwest dominated the region for many centuries, from as early as the first millennia BCE to a century or two before the coming of the Europeans.

Or, as another example, look at the Mississippi civilization, which is in fact a convenient grouping of many different cultures that dominated the Mississippi river basin until the Europeans came, when they were mostly wiped out by disease. They built towns and cities, many structures of which were built on mounds (which is why they are often called the mound builders). Examples of these large, often walled settlements can be seen here, here, and here. Based off of archaeological evidence as well as the oral tradition of the descendents of the Mississippians and a few Spanish sources, we know that the Mississippians definitely had complex political and religious systems in their society. They also practiced agriculture.

There's also the case of the Pacific Northwest "tribes", whom I find absolutely fascinating if only for one reason - they are one of the few, and possibly the only, culture of hunter-gatherers to live a sedentary lifestyle in towns and villages. This sort of adaptation is usually only among cultures practicing agriculture, but it appears many of these groups had so much surplus food from fishing and such that they could afford to settle down.

These are just a few examples. Of course, many societies in the Americas weren't as urbanized, but even they had their complex political, economic, social, and religious systems. You don't need to have gigantic settlements and a writing system to be a highly developed society.

To say these cannot count as sophisticated, developed societies - which the term "civilization" denotes - harks back to the 19th century of European imperialism, when the West classified anyone not following their style of advanced society as less than a "civilization".

Another thing is funny considering the history of European treatment of native history and culture and then complaining that in a game that, god forbid, a native civilization is added along with the 20 something random European civilizations.

I mean its not like it was the largest genocide in history, destroyed thousands of years of technology and development, scarred the land, or that the people there were perhaps more advanced than many of their conquerors in many technologies and organization. Nope, definitely none of that.

Another thing is funny considering the history of European treatment of native history and culture and then complaining that in a game that, god forbid, a native civilization is added along with the 20 something random European civilizations.

I mean its not like it was the largest genocide in history, destroyed thousands of years of technology and development, scarred the land, or that the people there were perhaps more advanced than many of their conquerors in many technologies and organization. Nope, definitely none of that.

Of course not. All the native americans ever did was skip along happily in the trees singing kumbayah Colors of the Wind with the animals and being one with nature, they knew nothing about evil civilization and cities and *gasp* being mean to other people and then they just magically disappeared into nature when the white people arrived!

Seriously, though, this whole Pueblo deal has made me much more interested in native american civs now, and made me realize just how many deserving civs there are in north america alone. Sure, civs don't get in because they're deserving, for better or worse, but it has taught me quite a bit (even if I knew much of it before, the realizing of it's a whole nother matter). For that, I think removing the Pueblo still taught me quite a lot about north american history, and this axeman speculation is also helping me enhance my knowledge of the eastern and missisippi basin "tribes". :goodjob:

I would be very excited for an Algonquin tribe (Hurons?) or Shawnees or something similar. But my guess would be simply a barb archer replacement.

Huron are also an Iroquoian tribe, not Algonquin. They were also right next to the Iroquois Confederacy. It may be helpful to list some Algonquin peoples:

Blackfoot
Cheyenne
Cree
Ojibwe
Shawnee
Mahican
Delaware (Lenape)
Powhatan

I don't have a major problem with how the Celts are represented in CiV since the weird pan-Celtic amalgamation Frankenciv is pretty much how they've always been represented in the franchise. It may be a historical atrocity, but at least it's one with some precedent.

Checking up on it, this is only really the case for Civ IV, which was the first game in the series to radically diverge from the concept of what is realistically a civilisation and add odd conglomerates like the "Native American Civ". Civ 3 had a consistent Gallic civ to represent the Celts, led by Brennus and with a Gallic UU and capital. Civ II's Celts were pretty much entirely Welsh, from recollection (and were not lead by an Iceni chieftain).

Because obviously anyone who doesn't use the Latin or Greek alphabet and isn't a Judaeo-Christian culture can't build cities and develop advanced societies.

No one's claiming this; it's a fallacy that sadly appears to be accepted by the developers that because there were native nations that developed civilisations in the Americas and elsewhere, therefore any native tribe qualifies as a civ. The Pueblo were indeed one such, while the Mississipian culture developed the largest urban centre in North America. The claim, justifiably made, is that tribal cultures shouldn't be treated as civs, not that cultures belonging to a specific ethnic group shouldn't be treated as civs.

The "Polynesians", Zulu and Sioux are not civilizations; nor are the European Celts (and personally I consider the Celts as included in Civs IV and V far more egregious in their abuse of both history and the concept of civilization than any of the artificial non-European civs; the Gallic Celts of Civ III were less objectionable since they described a more coherent society, but - again - not one that could very justifiably be called a civilization).

Others were agrarian societies with a sufficient degree of centralised governance that they could be given a "passing grade" as civs despite the absence of urban centres - this includes the Iroquois (whose structure as a confederation of village-based tribes isn't really very different from, say, 11th-Century Icelandic Norse who we would usually allow as part of "Viking civilisation" without comment).

But the majority of natives were tribal cultures without the trappings of civilization; treating the Inuit, say, as equivalent to the Pueblo or the Aztec in their claims to civilization because all are "Native American" is absurd, but is common here.

@PhilBowles: I generally agree with you in that some of the tribal cultures might not qualify as what we call "civilization", but I was replying to a poster who seemed to imply that most of the suggestions in this thread - ranging from the Missisippians to the Cherokee - and probably including the Pueblo, are merely primitive "tribes" (as the (negative) connotation of the world is that of a primitive, undeveloped society). To say that the native Americans didn't have any highly developed, urbanized societies is ridiculous and is a sort of view of history better suited to 19th century European academics.

Individual tribes don't deserve to be called civilizations, I agree. But whether or not a much larger culture does will depend on the definition you use of civilization. http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=civilization has about 7 of them.

Also, although Pocahontas isn't a very good leader choice, no matter how well-known she is, she was at least the daughter of an informant leader. That makes her just a little bit of a better leader choice than Gandhi.

Okay, I'd forgotten that. Still, the female leader gimmick was badly thought-out all round - Boudicca might just be better than "Shakala"...

Come on, she's clearly better. She was still a Celtic leader. Since the Celts are most known for their fighting against Rome, the leader who led "all of Britain" to nearly drive the Romans off the island makes sense. The other is a fictional character. She's also better than Ishtari (a goddess) among a few others.

Come on, she's clearly better. She was still a Celtic leader. Since the Celts are most known for their fighting against Rome, the leader who led "all of Britain" to nearly drive the Romans off the island makes sense. The other is a fictional character. She's also better than Ishtari (a goddess) among a few others.

There's more against Shakala than just being female. I mean ... Shakala??? Why actually look into genuine Zulu names when you can imagine a world in which the Zulu had a fearsome warrior leader with gender reassignment surgery?

Yea Shakala sounds pretty bad. But I personally think what they did with the Aztecs was just as bad, they called the female leader: Nazca. As in a completely separate civilization hundreds of miles apart

To be fair, they didn't have google back then.

Nor apparently a library...

I don't think my local library has list of Zulu women's names on the shelf, believe it or not.

Its not like where Firaxis is, that there isn't a single University library for these kind of things is there :p? I don't know, you would be surprised what you find at libraries. I have found Jesuit documents regarding the Iroquois at mine from the 1700s, internment camp records from the Aleutian islands, and other microfilm/primary documents at mine.

Yea Shakala sounds pretty bad. But I personally think what they did with the Aztecs was just as bad, they called the female leader: Nazca. As in a completely separate civilization hundreds of miles apart

And another stupid choice was the Persian female leader choice : Sheherezade.

Top Bottom