great artists you would want in bnw.

Who wrote the Book of the Death? Who wrote the Epic of Gilgamesh? These would be some good great works.

Who wrote the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Nobody knows who wrote it originally. Like a lot of ancient stories, what we have is a collaborative effort by various scribes that took centuries to take its current form. Who the first person was to write down a version of the tale is lost in the mists of time and will probably never be known.

However, the best-preserved version we have (which was found in the Royal Library of Ashurbanipal in Nineveh, by the way) was compiled by a man named Sin-leqi-unninni. [Source.] It will be very interesting to see if they have put him in.

Of the Four Great Classical Novels of China, only one (Journey to the West) has a known author (Wu Cheng'en). The other three still have unknown authors.

This means that Wu Cheng'en can appear as a Great Writer. For Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dream of a Red Chamber, and Water Bandit, they unfortunately would be relegated to tech/wonder/era/Civlopedia quotes (though Romance of the Three Kingdoms can make an appearance as well, just not from a Great Writer).

Of the Four Great Classical Novels of China, only one (Journey to the West) has a known author (Wu Cheng'en). The other three still have unknown authors.

This means that Wu Cheng'en can appear as a Great Writer. For Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Dream of a Red Chamber, and Water Bandit, they unfortunately would be relegated to tech/wonder/era/Civlopedia quotes (though Romance of the Three Kingdoms can make an appearance as well, just not from a Great Writer).

Luo Guanzhong is usually attributed as the author of the Three Kingdoms. If you don't trust Wikipedia, he is the one attributed as author in my copy of the Three Kingdoms. Frankly, given the cultural and political importance of the book in the Sinosphere (i.e. China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam), I'd be a little sad if it weren't in.

But I would like to see a good balance of non-Western artists - of course I'm not asking that there is a strict ratio where at least 70% of artists have to be non-Western, the game is made by a Western company so I'm expecting the majority of the great works to be Western, but more recognition of non-Western art is always good, and it appears so far from the previews and screenshots that that is the case. Other artists I'd like to see:

• Scott Joplin - Maple Leaf Rag (though I prefer Bethena, even if it isn't as famous) - underrated composer of ragtime (even though some people recognize a few of his iconic compositions), a genre that played an important role in the development of jazz
  • Nguyen Du - Tale of Kieu - the greatest piece of Vietnamese literature
  • Epic of Sundiata - dunno the author, though, but would make a good African one
  • Rumi - I'm quite an admirer of his poetry
  • Omar Khayyam - same as above
  • JD Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye - I know a lot of people hate the book, but I love it. Although there's probably issues with copyright and licensing and all that...
  • Murasaki Shikibu - Tale of Genji - if anyone wants something Japanese
  • Ferdowsi - Shahnameh - national epic of Iran, extremely important to various Iranian peoples
  • The Secret History of the Mongols - unknown author - that might be an issue
  • Faure - Sicilenne - I like his musical style

It appears though an issue with non-Western candidates is that in many non-Western cultures there wasn't a tradition of attributing works of art to people, so the names of many of these artists would be hard to find.

Personally I was hoping that Great Directors would make it too, but I guess the Great Writers category encompasses theater/film too. As for the ones I would like...

Great Musicians:
*John Lennon/The Beetles (Prediction, rather than a hope)
*Madonna
*Frank Sinatra
*Johnny Cash: I Walk the Line/Ring of Fire
*Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Phantom of the Opera
*Michael Jackson: Thriller
*Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein: The Sound of Music

Great Writers:
*Aldous Huxley: Brave New World (Duhh)
*Alferd Hitchcock: Vertigo/Psycho
*Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged
*Joephy Conrad: Heart of Darkness
*George Orwell: Nineteen Eighty-Four
*Mary Shelly: Frankenstein
*Orson Welles: Citizen Kane
*Sydney Howard/Victor Flemming: Gone With the Wind
*Stanley Kubrick/Arthur C. Clarke: 2001 a Space Odyssey

Great Painters
*Emanuel Leutze: Washington Crossing the Delaware
*Jacques-Louis David: Napoleon Crossing the Alps (I like crossings, okay?)
*Vincenzo Camuccini: The Death of Ceaser
*Eugene Delacroix: Liberty Leading the People

Then again I'll probably have to mod most of these in myself... And learn how to do that in the first place. ;)

Some more hopes of mine (plus some older ones of mine):

Great Writers:
Stephen Crane: The Red Badge of Courage
Edgar Allan Poe: The Raven
Mark Twain: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Herman Melville: Moby-Dick
Sin-leqi-unninni: The Epic of Gilgamesh
Hunefer: Book of the Dead
Sun Tzu: The Art of War
Sima Qian: Records of the Grand Historian
Mary Shelly: Frankenstein
Thomas Jefferson: The Declaration of Independence