9 new civs not really 'there'

I have played many games of civ 5 lately and it seems as if I only saw one of the new civs once : Poland. Are any of you guys having the same problem ?

nope. I think Indonesia has been in 90% of my games. The others all show up a fair deal, except Portugal. I've never ever faced Portugal in any games.

I've never faced Shaka or Poland yet but had the rest, Venice a few and Portual loads.

Not run into my sworn mortal enemy Siam for ages

I've played several BNW games so far, but I've seen Zulu, Venice, Indonesia, Portugal, Morocco, Brazil, and Assyria. I'm starting to wonder when I'm going to run into the Shoshone and Poland. Indonesia has been in many of my games. And all of them but one, they were my next door neighbor.

I think I've seen them all in my games. Poland and Portugal have been most common for me, I think. Poland and Assyria are in my current game.

"My silly human brain is noticing patterns in randomness, anyone else have a human brain too?"

:p

Ahmad stomped my trades in 5/9 of my games. Ashurbanipal got my techs in 4/9 of my games. Casimir pooped my Social Policies in 7/9 of my games. Enrico stole my CS allies in 6/9 of my games. Gajah conveted my lands in 5/9 of my games. Maria yelled "Falai!" at me in all of my games. Pedro pooped my tourism in 7/9 of my games. Pocatello built cities inside my territory in 7/9 of my games. And Shaka killed me

Shaka I used to see 99% of the games initially, but he calmed down now.

Portugal is still present almost every game.

Venice I saw thrice, once he was owned by Shaka, once he became a kinda-runaway (very few cities, but tall. Agression from the runaway Inca didn't make him lose any cities, so he was doing very well), the third time he was kinda mediocre.

Ahmad appeared several times, usually doing fine.

Gajah Mada never does great, typically becomes a food for some nearby warmongers. Saw him thrice.

Casimir appears A LOT. Either he runs away and becomes the most annoying civ in the game, or he crumbles when some very nasty neighbour doesn't let him wonderwhore in peace. But not always - once he lost Wroclaw to America, but then he gained a bigger army and, after I paid him to declare war, destroyed 'Murica.

Ash appears from time to time. Never does too well to my surprise! Typically he's not important, but once he was doing quite well because I wanted to win a peaceful cultural victory (I only declared war to help my friends and ensure they won't get smashed by him, and I didn't take cities with force - I destroyed the attacker's military, then asked for some money and city state city/cities so I could liberate them and get free allies) and he abused Genghis' weakness.

Pedro appears kinda frequently but not as much as Shaka/Casimir/Maria. He even declared war on me once! He's more expansive than you would think, and he can easily go Hostile/Guarded if pissed off.

I see new civs fairly often.
That said, since it is random some players will have few of the new civs in their games.

Adding more filters to the randomization would be useful however (to exclude civs)

More civs means lower chance of getting any particular civ in a given game

Here's how I've encountered the BNW civs so far.

Assyria: Only once. He was a middle-of-the-pack wannabe warmonger.

Brazil: Just a few times. He has gone tall, but he didn't spam his Brazilwood Camps, surprisingly.

Indonesia: I've seen them a lot. Each time, they go tall and don't use their UA. They always seem to be my neighbor. Sometimes they spam religion. My current game, they are wonderspamming.

Morocco: I've only seen them once. They did well, but not great. They were semi-wide.

Poland: not seen yet.

Portugal: I've only seen her once. She was doing quite well until China capped Lisbon. Then they just lingered.

Shoshone: not seen yet.

Venice: I've seen him a few times. He starts out middle-of-the-pack, but grows stronger over time. He has been strong in culture and Wonders.

Zulu: Only Once. They were an aggressive warmonger as advertised.

Whenever there are a bunch of new civs to play, I use advanced setup to eliminate most of the old ones to ensure that I get a new one. Or, just pick one of the new ones each time.

nope. I think Indonesia has been in 90% of my games. The others all show up a fair deal, except Portugal. I've never ever faced Portugal in any games.

I haven't seen Indonesia yet, Assyria seems to be in my every game though, rest I've seen at least once, most of them twice or thrice.

"My silly human brain is noticing patterns in randomness, anyone else have a human brain too?"

:p

Quite a way to express it, but yeah, you're right. Anyway, those patterns make me remember things that maybe are not random after all.

- Washington. I'm getting tired of seeing his face. And he always chooses Order. ALWAYS. Other forum members have noticed this as well. Maybe it's a in-joke, just like Gandhi loves nuking everybody?

- Gajah Mada. He has appeared in every game minus one. But this doesn't bother me at all (his music is awesome). What angers me it's his ineptitude to use his UA. The only time I watched nutmeg as a resource was when I gifted him an island city. In fact, that very game was in the Caribbean map -a world full of ISLANDS-, but he chose instead to settle his cities in mainland Mexico. Aaarrrgghhh!!

Here's what I've encountered so far:

Assyria: I've seen him in about 2/3 of my games. He's a poor warmonger against AI, and usually very lukewarm with me.

Brazil: Almost all of my games. Generally solid builder with semi-weak defensive military, and rarely attacks unless provoked. Almost always on good terms.

Ethiopia: Don't own G&K, so I include Haile. Have yet to come across him in a game. Looking forward to a playing against a religion monger.

Indonesia: Pops up occasionally, but not often. Almost always weak, and a non-player in my games so far. Have yet to see him actually create overseas cities and take advantage of his UA.

Morocco: Friendly, steady player who has appeared in half of my games. Generally loyal and plays wide.

Poland: haven't seen at all, yet.

Portugal: Appeared only once, in my most recent game as Elizabeth. I really enjoyed playing against another naval power-- we were on fairly good terms, and we both made use of ocean trade routes quickly to fill our coffers. Great trading partner!

Shoshone: I've run into him in about a 1/3rd of my games, and I would argue is the strongest civ in this batch. Have yet to go tête-à-tête with him in war, for he's generally friendly. Like his Native American counterpart, Hiawatha, Pocatello can quickly build a large builder empire and hordes wonders.

Zulu: has appeared in most of my games, albeit watered down from his previous Civ incarnations-- I've only seen him go on a crazy murder spree once, and could barely contain his Impi. He's generally friendly toward me, but outside of war, doesn't seem to excel at anything.

If you want to give a certain civ or civs, then go ahead and use advanced setup to pick the ones you want or don't want.

I'm thinking I'll set up a game with the new civs and only the new civs in it next.

With 43 civs, it is not that surprising you aren't seeing a bunch of the new 9. I have encountered most of them at least once using random, but venice has not been in my games yet except when I am them.

Top Bottom