[Graphics] Citysets

Visually I'm not sure how to represent them since houses and such don't seem right. Do you have an idea because I don't mind making lots of tiny models if I have a theme.

Did hrochland make a dwarven one as well?

hrochland's dwarven buildings are all normal looking wooden buildings. You can see them in the first post of his Fantasy Buildings thread.

I do think that anything we choose, if should somehow be made of stone or rock and not wood.

In Dragonia I, I used a cityset that looked like a castle built into some mountains:

I'm trying to avoid the mountain look because the cities grow differently in Civ4 than CivIII.

Pick a style from some architecture and I'll elaborate. Round, square, triangular, short, or whatever. I made SMAC citysets with very little to go on so it can be done.

This is not a finished texture, but it's the only dds I had to play with to show some stonework on this very simple building. Keep in mind we need 18 different models for a cityset and some have to be, well, simple. Is this the general style you're looking for with the basic 1x1 slots?

It's ultra low poly, but that's a good thing because we can splurge on a couple 2x1s and 2x2s.

Here's a shot with 9 untextured models that include several interchangeable pieces (stairs, chimney, barrels).

Looking good so far. Can you add one or two cylindrical towers to the mix?

Also, thinking about it, can you make the chimneys that jut out the side of the building and then go up round instead of square? Those can then be textured for a metallic look.

I asked winddelay to touch up my dds and he (of course) made it excellent. I'm not sure why I bother with textures when he's available. :)

He didn't like the stone roof and I never mentioned the metal, rounded chimney, but here is how the above render shot looks textured.

I'm planning 2 towers, an ore cart with ore pile, and maybe a statue or 2 to finish up the 18 model set.

Thoughts?

Looking pretty good, but some small changes needed. It looks great close-up, but since most of the time the buildings are zoomed out, I think the stone pattern on the buildings and chimneys will need better contrast and the chumney pattern should use a larger scale. At the current contrast/scale level, I think for the most part the pattern will wash away and just look grey. Also, I take it shadows will be added to the final product?

Yeah, shadows are easy to add in later. The texture contrast can be touched up too on the dds.

Is the roof okay as is?

Here's a pic of the dwarven set winddelay textured and set up as a nif.

I think it looks terrific.

Top Bottom