How To Play Chess one-sheet

Buster's Uncle

AC2 Owner
Funny thing. I was busy moving hosting of My SMACX Custom Factions Page about two years ago, and in the course of tracking down all the links to the old location (to edit to point to the new location and preserve my search engine ranking) at the chess club website I used to webmaster, I discovered that a .pdf of a little one-sheet dealy I whipped up about 10 years ago, How To Play Chess, was VERY popular.

Does my ego good, it does.

I collect chess sets, and it's always bothered me that the rules sheets that come with them almost NEVER give the complete moves, let alone correctly. Castling is rarely described, and en passant almost never. I could write a humorous chess magazine article compiling all the stupid misinformation, like the one that asserts that the oldest player goes first.

I set out to make this just to prove that the complete moves and rules for casual over the board play (tournament rules fill a thick book) could be fitted legibly on one standard sheet of paper. -Well, turns out they can, and I had half a page left over to go into the most basic of beginner strategy. This covers everything you need to begin very well, I think, or it wouldn't be linked all over creation.

Maybe you don't know how to play, or want to teach a kid or two - have a look at the attachments. If you've got something that will open the .doc version with the formatting intact, you can print out a much prettier copy that way, but the .jpgs w/ page borders minimal are pretty good...

EDIT - I finally got Word running on my current rig for use in a similar project, and happened to have a look at the .doc version - the diagrams are gibberish if you don't have the diagram font I used installed (which I no longer do) I could post the font -I have the drive from my old machine as an external- but simpler to remove the .doc attachment and point everyone at the .pdf attached to the next post for printing hard copies use.

EDIT2 - I found copies with the diagrams embedded as images in both Word and Works formats, so I'm adding the attachments. I had to .zip the Works version, but the same instructions apply as to Word.

Attachments

• howtoplaychess p.1.JPG
    howtoplaychess p.1.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 306
  • howtoplaychess p.2.JPG
    howtoplaychess p.2.JPG
    443.2 KB · Views: 278
  • howtoplaychess.doc
    196 KB · Views: 180
  • HowToPlayChess-Works.zip
    139 KB · Views: 166
Note: I finally got MSWord running on my current rig for use in a similar (SMACX) project, and happened to have a look at the .doc version that was attached to the OP - the diagrams are gibberish if you don't have the diagram font I used installed (which I no longer do). I could post the font -I have the drive from my old machine as an external- but simpler to remove the .doc attachment and point everyone at the .pdf attached to the second post for printing hard copies use.

I will gladly share the font and even repost the .doc version, if anyone asks...

This subforum is pretty much a ghosttown but feel free to post the doc if you like. :)

I will print it out @ work, I work at a game store & run chess tournaments there. :)

Incidentally - I posted this at my own forum almost two years ago, 'cause content is content (and the .pdf versions indeed saw north of 600 downloads since). This sub is back out showing on the root directory now, and it need not remain a ghost town; people who like the chess can make it live by simply posting content and conversation persistently, and give the audience a chance to find it.

Top Bottom