Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

when building a city, does the actual tile the city occupies, contribute to the city resources? for example, hypothetically, imagine a hill surrounded by grassland. if you build a city on the hill, do you still get the hammers associated with it?

Yeah, I just tried it out. It's too bad, I'm pretty sure that feature was in civ3.

I'm at war with Egypt. I send an Archer Army into a space right next to an Eyptian city with forest. If Egypt was using that space to generate Production, did my occupation of that space just take away their production from the forests on that space? (I understand that they may be able to just transfer the same production to another space in their City Radius)

Same scenario: what if I Fortify troops on that Forest space? Any difference?

Cool, thanks. So being on an enemy Forest or Hill square is double effective: you increase your troop strength AND you take away the enemy ability to produce more units.

Playing as Zulus right now, I have taken out Spain and India early, and now I'm going after Egypt's one city (which will culture me to death if I let it live!). Time to occupy some Egyptian land!

If you form an army with more than one elite unit, like one with infiltration and one with blitz, does the whole army get both upgrades? Or does it just get the upgrade from the first unit you formed the army with?

the whole army gets both upgrades :) I generally go for a set of knights, each with scout, infiltration, and blitz, and proceed to conquer the world until about tanks.

OMG that is powerful... I had no idea the army got to keep all attributes of each unit. Time to go have some fun!

Noob Question: Seige Units - Catapult in particular. How do I use Catapults effectively? Whenever I attack cities, my catapult dies in an instant (defense:1) eventhough I have an archer or a defense unit in the same tile. How do I "attach" the archer unit to the catapult, so that when I attack cities, I get the defense points as the archer?

i thought when a tile with multiple units was attacked, the unit with the highest defense was used in the combat...i don't know what's going on with your situation, i'd like to know too.

I could be wrong, but I think it makes a difference if you or the computer initiate the attack. In this case, I am the one initiating the attack on a city with my catapult. When I do that, it goes into the fighting sequence, and my catapult dies instantly. I think that rule applies to when you are attacked, no? I don't know how that works.

Hopefully making things clearer.
Defensive units defend when being attacked, and do not add to an attacking unit's actual stat defense.
Example, a space occupied with a catapult, and archer. If this space is attacked by an enemy, the archer will defend till destroyed. If your catapult attacks a unit/city, the archer adds nothing to the odds of that outcome.
They are separate units. The only time units can affect another unit while in the same space is if there is a great general, or stated bonus.
In the case a few replies above, "Send an army". When attacking cities, armies are the way to go. In the early 3000's to 2400's maybe a single horse or warrior will make it. But later, it's better to send a catapult army then a single unit.

The computer likes to run a cruiser up and down my coast line. How does this effect me? Do I lose food/gold/science that turn>

if an enemy unit is occupying one of your tiles, you don't get the resources from that tile until it is free again.

Only if that ship sits on a space does it stop production. It's just flakey Ai. Scary movement, granted, but signifies nothing. I used to do the same to them, but found it does nothing. Let them do the water dance.

It does do a difference for the tile they stop at at the end of their turn, but it does nothing to the tiles they are passing by.

Top Bottom