IndieStone - Visual Tech Tree Editor

I have lost my HD which had CiV installed and now the Tech Tree Editor tries to load from the old path. How do I change that?
I have no idea what to do with the *.config file.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you! This is because of the registry key still pointing to the old drive. You can change that with regedit, and Nutty describes where to find the keys here.

And we're back! With another new version! Same download page as always!

This time, eras have finally been getting some love. I've fixed up a lot of the problems to do with them and they should generally act much more like you would expect now!

Full changes:

• Fixed a bug where creating more than one era in a single session would mean eras beyond the first were not exported correctly
  • Fixed a bug where updating the value of the text key for an era's description didn't update its name in the Editor
  • Fixed a bug where splitting an era that was more than 2 columns wide could cause it to become fragmented across the split, instead of split cleanly in two
  • Fixed a bug where eras would sometimes use their default description keys even when the database table had been changed
  • Fixed a bug where modded changes that used subelements of a Set element (rather than attributes) were not being loaded
  • Fixed a bug where modded unlocks that were defined in the same file as the technology that unlocked them were listed both on that tech and as unassigned, and were not draggable from the tech itself
  • Fixed a bug where eras would never shrink even if all of the techs in that era from a given column were assigned to another era or moved elsewhere
  • Added support for some more of the icons found in Firaxis' DLC (specifically some tech and building icons in the Spain & Polynesia DLC)
  • Fixed a bug where the names of some modded techs would not show up correctly in the Editor, due to the load order of the modded files
  • Fixed a bug where renaming a tech would cause generic functionality attached to fields on the technology table for that tech to disappear, after reloading from an exported session

I've been using Pouakai's Enlightenment Era mod as a test bed for era changes, since it makes some significant and complex era changes, and Chrisy15 mentioned earlier in the topic that the Editor didn't behave correctly when this mod was loaded. This version of the Editor should load Pouakai's mod without issue! :D

You may notice that HandyVac's Age of Coal and Iron mod still doesn't work as expected. This is mainly because this mod uses some serious SQL madness to add its techs and eras to the right place on the tree. The way it's done makes it much more compatible with other mods, which is good, but getting the Tech Editor to understand what that SQL does is a serious undertaking.

I was working on modifying the Enlightenment Era, and I was expecting the XML to consist mainly of Update statements.

However, I was suprised to find that the VTTE was adding the whole of the EE into the XML, with my changes simply being part of that. This is irritating, since the idea was to change EE, not readd it. Therefore, could you make it so that .ModInfo files have an option to not be added to the exported XML files, but still show up in the VTTE. The VTTE is great for planning out the changes, and I'm greatful that you're maintaining it.

You should probably link it in your signature - just remember to link to one of these later pages, rather than the OP.

I was working on modifying the Enlightenment Era, and I was expecting the XML to consist mainly of Update statements.

However, I was suprised to find that the VTTE was adding the whole of the EE into the XML, with my changes simply being part of that. This is irritating, since the idea was to change EE, not readd it. Therefore, could you make it so that .ModInfo files have an option to not be added to the exported XML files, but still show up in the VTTE. The VTTE is great for planning out the changes, and I'm greatful that you're maintaining it.

Right, I see what you're trying to achieve here. The notion of the Editor diffing against the base game database is relatively deeply ingrained, but I'll see what I can do about supporting differential exports from modded databases.

As you say, we'd want it to be an option (rather than the only behavior), because if you're reloading your own mod to edit, then you'd want to re-export the whole thing!

You should probably link it in your signature - just remember to link to one of these later pages, rather than the OP.

Good call!

Right, I see what you're trying to achieve here. The notion of the Editor diffing against the base game database is relatively deeply ingrained, but I'll see what I can do about supporting differential exports from modded databases.

As you say, we'd want it to be an option (rather than the only behavior), because if you're reloading your own mod to edit, then you'd want to re-export the whole thing!

Woo! Thanks!

Can I make a "final" request: Can you either add some visual effects to help make deleting tech connections easier, or provide the VTTE access to the Technology_PrereqTechs table? I'm really struggling to delete connections at the moment, and this would make it easier. Thinking about it, it might be worth allowing access to all the tech tables (Technology_Flavors and... Technology_ImprovementYieldChanges?), so that all the work can be done in the VTTE.

Can I make a "final" request: Can you either add some visual effects to help make deleting tech connections easier, or provide the VTTE access to the Technology_PrereqTechs table? I'm really struggling to delete connections at the moment, and this would make it easier.

Totally, this should be much easier to see in the Editor. There is the world's tiniest almost-transparent green box over one end of the currently selected prereq about 50% of the time that it's selected, so I should totally make this better. This is something that should be more accessible through the main UI rather than requiring the user to manage the database rows themselves.

Thinking about it, it might be worth allowing access to all the tech tables (Technology_Flavors and... Technology_ImprovementYieldChanges?), so that all the work can be done in the VTTE.

Improvement_TechYieldChanges is accessible through the "Add functionality" right click menu on the techs (along with other tech tables that create "starburst unlocks" in CiV). This points out that I should really create a help doc so the Editor can explain some of its functionality, because it's not easy to find this kind of thing the first time!

Technology_Flavors is currently inaccessible except through the conflict detector and that seems like an oversight. It's definitely within the realms of the Editor to want to modify the tech's flavors! I'll add that to the list of pending features!

Totally, this should be much easier to see in the Editor. There is the world's tiniest almost-transparent green box over one end of the currently selected prereq about 50% of the time that it's selected, so I should totally make this better. This is something that should be more accessible through the main UI rather than requiring the user to manage the database rows themselves.

Improvement_TechYieldChanges is accessible through the "Add functionality" right click menu on the techs (along with other tech tables that create "starburst unlocks" in CiV). This points out that I should really create a help doc so the Editor can explain some of its functionality, because it's not easy to find this kind of thing the first time!

Technology_Flavors is currently inaccessible except through the conflict detector and that seems like an oversight. It's definitely within the realms of the Editor to want to modify the tech's flavors! I'll add that to the list of pending features!

Never even noticed those boxes - perhaps completely change the colour of the pipe that's selected?

Ah yes, you can access Improvement_TechYieldChanges... ooh, is that a row for a Golden Age modifier... ooh...

Didn't you fix the bug where the VTTE would crash if EUI was active? Because it's back...

Spoiler :
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.LoadTables(String file)
at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.Load()
at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.FirstUpdate()
at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.panel1_Paint(Object sender, PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.1055.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
IndieStoneTechEditor
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW%20MKII/IndieStoneTechEditor.exe
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.6.1068.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
IndieStoneTools
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW%20MKII/IndieStoneTools.DLL
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.6.1067.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Interestingly, the VTTE runs when TAL is still altering the SelectCivilization files, meaning that it might be an issue unique to EUI.

Never even noticed those boxes - perhaps completely change the colour of the pipe that's selected?

Yeah, that's what I'll try first.

Ah yes, you can access Improvement_TechYieldChanges... ooh, is that a row for a Golden Age modifier... ooh...

I don't think there's any Golden Age stuff in there!

Didn't you fix the bug where the VTTE would crash if EUI was active? Because it's back...

Spoiler :

System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.LoadTables(String file)
at IndieStoneCiv5XMLTools.Civ5XmlDatabase.Load()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
IndieStoneTechEditor
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW%20MKII/IndieStoneTechEditor.exe
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.6.1068.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
IndieStoneTools
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Christopher/Documents/Civ%20Modding%20and%20Assorted%20Civ%20Stuff/VTTE%20BNW%20MKII/IndieStoneTools.DLL
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.6.1067.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Interestingly, the VTTE runs when TAL is still altering the SelectCivilization files, meaning that it might be an issue unique to EUI.

I never made any changes to address this, it was my understanding that EUI had some invalid XML files in it, which I can't really control. I could make the Editor deal with the errors in some other way, but that risks starting up with an invalid configuration if the user has modifications to the actual base game files. I'll have to install EUI and take a look at what files it's having trouble with and see how else I could prevent the error, allowing the user to evaluate if they care about a specific file being loaded or not.

I don't think there's any Golden Age stuff in there!

I never made any changes to address this, it was my understanding that EUI had some invalid XML files in it, which I can't really control. I could make the Editor deal with the errors in some other way, but that risks starting up with an invalid configuration if the user has modifications to the actual base game files. I'll have to install EUI and take a look at what files it's having trouble with and see how else I could prevent the error, allowing the user to evaluate if they care about a specific file being loaded or not.

Hm, I thought the idea of Golden Age being in the Yields table was a bit CP-like; I'll look again next time I clear cache.

Oh, I thought you'd fixed it - I must have just remembered to remove EUI the rest of the time. Is the modification checking necessary? If a user's made changes to their Civ files, they'd normally remember because they'd be playing with it, if it was going to make a difference in the VTTE. And if they did forget, they'd notice the changes once they'd opened the VTTE.

Is the modification checking necessary? If a user's made changes to their Civ files, they'd normally remember because they'd be playing with it, if it was going to make a difference in the VTTE. And if they did forget, they'd notice the changes once they'd opened the VTTE.

It's not that the Editor is checking for modifications, it's that the Editor doesn't actually know what the base CiV database looks like - it loads all of the files from your CiV install directory in order to create the "base database" that it considers to be the game with no mods. It loads the whole DB, not just the tables that are accessible via the Editor UI.

If I make the Editor swallow errors from invalid files in the install directory (of which there aren't any by default) in order to silently load past EUI, it will also hide any other issues with invalid files. The user might have inadvertently broken a file (discarding all DB rows in it), which would cause the data the Editor generates for a mod to be compared against an invalid base game state - missing potential conflicts and potentially creating duplicate data that the game will refuse to load. Lacking data in some tables can be difficult or impossible to spot through the Editor UI, depending on which tables they are.

The above won't be a very common case, but when it does happen it would be extremely difficult to track down, which means the Editor should avoid it and present the errors in a generally more visible way. However, the way it does it right now isn't ideal because it takes down the application and you, as the user, can't tell it that some of the files in your install directory aren't actually important. Hence my suggestion in my last post to prompt the user if they care about the data in the file if the Editor finds an error in it and give them the option to discard it. This would let you load past EUI by just telling it to ignore whatever files are not loadable in there, but would still make the above issues with actual base game files being modified incorrectly visible and easy to track down.

I'll see what I can do over the weekend about some of the issues we've been discussing recently!

It's time for a new version! Same download page as always!

This version brings some usability enhancements after recent discussions with Chrisy15 and something Tyloron mentioned a while back.

Full changes:

• Selecting a prereq pipe now highlights the selected pipe in blue. Also fixed a bug where the green boxes at either end of a selected pipe were often in the wrong place.
  • Multiselecting techs now works again! Multi-selected techs can be dragged, moving them all as a group, or deleted all at once (Del key).
  • You can now also multi-select objects by holding Ctrl and left clicking.
  • Users can no longer name multiple techs the same name, which would previously cause a type clash and the Editor would behave very strangely (deleting references to the clashing tech).
  • BNW, G&K, and DLC files are now loaded first (and in that order) when loading the base database, so that if they redeclare rows that existed in the base game, the newer versions take priority.
    • This was the root cause of Era 7 being called the "Future Era" in older versions of the Editor.

EDIT: New upload above, to correct an issue (visible in the screenshots) where multiselecting a tech and any prereq that it depends on caused the blue selection to be drawn over the prereq count of the selected tech!

Attachments

• PrereqPipeSelection.PNG
    PrereqPipeSelection.PNG
    48.2 KB · Views: 490
  • MultiselectComplete.PNG
    MultiselectComplete.PNG
    193.2 KB · Views: 457
  • MultiSelect.PNG
    MultiSelect.PNG
    179 KB · Views: 487
  • DuplicateTechName.PNG
    DuplicateTechName.PNG
    42.1 KB · Views: 491
Norton just made me restart my computer twice in order to remove the VTTE .exe and the tools file. Any idea why? I trust the files completely, and am gonna redownload in a second, but I am curious if anyone else is having similar issues. Is it just Norton being a waste of money again?

[Edit] Huh, it didn't even remove them from their folder. Odd.

Norton just made me restart my computer twice in order to remove the VTTE .exe and the tools file. Any idea why? I trust the files completely, and am gonna redownload in a second, but I am curious if anyone else is having similar issues. Is it just Norton being a waste of money again?

[Edit] Huh, it didn't even remove them from their folder. Odd.

My antivirus also freaks out about the Editor every now and again as well. I would imagine it's because the program isn't signed by any known CA to guarantee who it was authored by, it's just been compiled on my PC. (I get this occasionally with anything I build myself.)

Thanks for trusting me, of course! I can assure everyone that the Editor doesn't do anything untoward, the only thing it accesses on your computer is the CiV install directory to load the game database.

My antivirus also freaks out about the Editor every now and again as well. I would imagine it's because the program isn't signed by any known CA to guarantee who it was authored by, it's just been compiled on my PC. (I get this occasionally with anything I build myself.)

Thanks for trusting me, of course! I can assure everyone that the Editor doesn't do anything untoward, the only thing it accesses on your computer is the CiV install directory to load the game database.

Thanks for clearing that up - I only got worried because it really made me beat around the bush to fix it. Kudos for the work, as ever.

I am confused! the load date on the download page says Jul 26, 2013, the last seems-to-be-post is dated Dec 14, 2015, and Chrisy15's last post is Jun 01 2016.

So is the download page link still the best link?

Does anybody Know what happened to "lemmy101"?

I am confused! the load date on the download page says Jul 26, 2013, the last seems-to-be-post is dated Dec 14, 2015, and Chrisy15's last post is Jun 01 2016.

So is the download page link still the best link?

Does anybody Know what happened to "lemmy101"?

No idea, but S3rgeus is in charge now. Download it from one of the links posted in his update posts.

Hello
Whenever I attempt to load the program the following message comes up:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\Resource\DX9'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path)
at IndieStoneTools.PathManager.RemapDir(String path)
at IndieStoneTools.PathManager.AddCiv5ArtFiles()

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.6.1080.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
IndieStoneTechEditor
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid%20Meier's%20Civilization%20V/IndieStoneTechEditor.exe
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.6.1081.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
IndieStoneTools
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid%20Meier's%20Civilization%20V/IndieStoneTools.DLL
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

This then means that the program will not show any tree. The program is saved in the file directory This PC\C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V

Is there anything that you know may be causing this?

Hello
Whenever I attempt to load the program the following message comes up:

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\Resource\DX9'.

This then means that the program will not show any tree. The program is saved in the file directory This PC\C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V

Is there anything that you know may be causing this?

It looks like the AssetPath in your registry is pointing to the wrong place. You've mentioned that your copy of CiV is installed in 'C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V', (this looks correct - it's the default path on most PCs) but your AssetPath claims it's in 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam'. Nutty describes how you can change that here.

Top Bottom