Guess the New Civs

Yeah, I had hard time choosing between Hittites, Sumer, Zulu and Portugal for the final slot.

Heh, yeah Simo "White Death" Häyhä would be cool. It was just yesterday when I switched Finnish UU idea from WD (Infantry replacement) to Runonlaulaja (Scout replacement). I felt Finnish Civ concept needed stronger link to the past, hence Runonlaulaja, but White Death would have been fun to play as well. Invisible sniper unit with extra range and extra movement --- or the GDR replacement with that kill ratio :D

Hakkapeliitta and Sissi would work as well. But I think Sauna is the essential UB for the Finns. Replaces Garden and has increased Great People birth ratio (Saunas were common place to give birth in older times) and gives happiness. Though Tar Kiln would be exciting UI as well. Gives a bonus to naval units and generates extra gold.

Only problem is, Finland will probably be dlc, considering the Danish are already available, if they come at all :( But seeing as they were called the Danish rather than the Vikings this time there is hope :D

I think most of all i'd like to see some really unusual empires that have been really unaccredited though. Thought in reality i'll be happy with any bone i'm thrown at this stage :D

Zulus, Prussia, Phoenicians, Toltecs?, Nubians?

Byzantine leader probably Justinian I ?

Carthage's leader is Dido, Potential new civ "Huns" with city in Screenshot 1: Attila's court

http://ow.joystiq.com/screenshots/civilization-5-gods-and-kings-gdc-2012#/0

Spoiler :

WOW! Queen Dido looks awesome. I have been hoping to see her as the leader of Carthaginians since beginning.

Spoiler :

Boudica looks also very cool. Looking forward to meet her Pictish Warriors in my games :)

Slightly disappointed with inclusion of the Huns. I would have rather wanted Khazars from the region. Hopefully the Huns have some amazing uniques to make them fun and interesting Civ to play with...

Will be very sad if they do include the Huns. Still, Attila's Court is an odd city name.

Over at the screenshot analysis thread we are beginning to be certain of another civ:
It is yellow-orange in colour, think savannah. I lightened up the screenie and could more or less certainly identify two impi units with elongated shields, head dresses and all.

It must be the Zulu, no?

On the next screenshot there is another city from the same civ: Hippo Regius
So the civ is probably Carthage
Not sure how they got a city with the name: Attila's court.
Whatever is the case with the Huns, sounds aweful for a city name...

The owner of the city is definitely Carthage, but as others have said, it's a puppet, so Carthage wasn't the original owner of the city.

Some ideas:

1. "Attila's Court" is a mobile capital city that can be packed up and moved.

2. "Attila's Court" is a barbarian city, which is an unannounced new feature.

Question: what would be wrong with the Huns being in the game? Wouldn't that just presumably offer the chance for some fairly unique gameplay? What would be lost by having them as one of the nine new civs?

I looked up Attila's Court. Here is one quote about it:

"Priscus describes the court of Attila king of the Huns (448)
The Greek writer Priscus actually visited the Huns and conversed with Attila. He received a very different impression of the people from the fearsome pictures given earlier by Ammianus Marcellinus. Priscus...were sent by the Roman government with messages to Attila in 448. Priscus first tells of their long journey from Constantinople to Scythia, the territory then occupied by the Huns north of the lower Danube. After some difficulty the messengers obtained a first interview with Attila. Then, as the king of the Huns was about to move northward, he and his companion determined to follow him. After describing the incidents of their journey and their arrival at a large village, Priscus continues:
Attila's residence, which was situated here, was said to be more splendid than his houses in other places. It was made of polished boards, and surrounded with wooden enclosures, designed not so much for protection as for appearance' sake. The house of the chieftain Onegesius was second only to the king's in splendor and was also encircled with a wooden enclosure, but it was not adorned with towers like that of the king. Not far from the inclosure was a large bath built by Onegesius, who was the second in power among the Scythians. The stones for this bath had been brought from Pannonia, for the barbarians in this district had no stones or trees, but used imported material....

The next day I entered the enclosure of Attila's palace, bearing gifts to his wife, whose name was Kreka. She had three sons, of whom the eldest governed the Acatiri and the other nations who dwell in Pontic Scythia. Within the inclosures were numerous buildings, some of carved boards beautifully fitted together, others of straight planed beams, without carving, fastened on round wooden blocks which rose to a moderate height from the ground."

From the account left by Priscus, translated in J. H. Robinson,
Readings in European History, (Boston: Ginn, 1905), pp. 46-49

Attila's court/palace/big village was thus situated north of Scythia. Perhaps they have merged Scythians and Huns in GK, then this may not even be the Capital. Perhaps the civ is the Scythians, not the Huns?

I was expecting the Huns (Fall of Rome scenario, ding ding), so people don't confuse them with the Mongols. An idea of movable capital is great, but could be, possibly, fairly unbalanced. The city name, however, implies something like that. Wonder what are the remaining three civs.

So, Tyre, Prague and Zanzibar are also city-states
That means no Phoenicia or Bohemia civ - at least for now
This is a better thread for this post

Top Bottom