Grid Graphics

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
Does anyone know and can tell me, where there is the location for the graphics of the map grid that can be enabled in gameplay ? Is it in the cursors graphics file?

Since I've never been able to locate it, I've just assumed it is hardcoded. I hope my assumption is wrong, though.
Regards Jorsalfare

Thank you both very much for your answers. :) Hardcoded-that´s bad, if you have a black grid on a black terrain. :rolleyes:

I think the most likely possibility is it could be in the cursor file. There's a few graphic squares in there that could be for it as I cant think of any other use. There's several squares in there that appear in the game as well when you turn a setting on, so it seems likely that it could be found in here.

To join the choir, my guess is that it's just a six digit hex color code somewhere deep in the mysterious code of Civ 3.

Can't answer the question (sorry) -- but I have one of my own, also related to the grid.

There is allegedly an option in the .ini file to have the grid switched on as default ('GridOn=1'), but I have never got this to work, neither for Vanilla or Conquests.
Spoiler :
I assume(d) that 0=false and 1=true, but have also tried 'GridOn=0', just in case Firaxis did something non-intuitive with the defaults, as for the 'NoAIPatrol' line in Conquests. I have also tried the switch 'Grid=' with both states, to no effect.

FWIW, I am currently running the GamersGate download-version of C3C 1.22 on a WinXP-laptop (installed in the default location), and also on a Win8.1-box (installed outside the ProgramFiles directory). The laptop previously had the CD-version of Vanilla 1.07 installed and patched to 1.29 via CFC (before the CD-drive died. Again). 'GridOn' didn't/doesn't work on any of these installations.
Regardless what I insert into the .ini file, I always had/have to switch the grid on manually at the start of every play-session. OK, it doesn't take long to hit Ctrl-G instead, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. I have searched CFC, but the only places I've found anything relevant, the information appears to be wrong.

So my question(s) is/are: does anyone here in C&C know for sure what the switch should be, e.g. did Fraxis change it to 'GridOff=1' at some point during the many patches and expansions because so many people objected to the grid being on as default...? Or can it not be changed at all via the .ini?

I'm not aware of any graphics for the grid, either, and don't see anything in the Cursor.pcx file that appears to be a match when looking at it now. When I implemented the grid in my editor, I did so by drawing lines on the map, not using any graphics that came with Civ3.

No idea about the GridOn switch.

Apologies, but I must go OT here -

What does the 'NoAIPatrol' line in Conquests do?

-Oz
Sorry for OT as well -- didn't/ don't intend to hijack this thread.

NoAIPatrol=1 means that the AI-units will tend to fortify in place if they have nothing to do, rather than running about like mad on the IBT, using up all their spare MP, and slowing the computer to a crawl (especially in the late game, when there are lots of units on the map). The 'hidden' default setting in the Vanilla and PtW executables is NoAIPatrol=0. In the Conquests executable, it's set to NoAIPatrol=1.
Spoiler :
Problem is, sometime during patching PtW and/or expanding to Conquests, the Barb's search pattern also got adjusted by accident, so that instead of doing what they were supposed to do (i.e. marauding across the map, chasing down stray units, and sacking towns), they only 'noticed' Civ-units when those units strayed across the Barb-units' NW/SE-axis (there's a stickied thread about it in the General Discussions forum).

In PtW, this wasn't so noticeable, because the Barbs would patrol by default, so would find targets more often. In Conquests, however, the Barbs would tend to sit in their camps, chasing Civ-units only briefly, then 'forgetting' about them as soon as they got off the NW/SE axis.

Basically, setting NoAIPatrol=0 in the conquests.ini makes the Barbs a little more dangerous again (although still not as dangerous as the Vanilla-Barbs, which search for victims on all tiles in their 'radar-range', not just the tiles NW/SE).
@Balthasar:
The thread I linked in Post#7 is about as definitive a list of the .ini settings as I've seen on CFC -- straight from the horse's mouth (MikeB at Firaxis). Although GridOn=0/1 doesn't seem to work as advertised (which is where I came in, so I'll leave now...).

You're making a black terrain? That's awesome.

That black terrain can be done very easily and the idea behind it in my eyes is convincing. There will be a time it is used for a space scenario as I did it for Civ 2 ToT long ago. All different terrain is black, but on that map hundreds of different looking suns, planets and other nice features can be placed by using different resources and my invisible cities (here planets) methode.

I did such a scenario for Civ 2 ToT and until today I consider it as my best modding work, so nearly nobody took notice of it.:D So these devastating attacks from out of nowhere by using the construction of wormwholes and the ToT multiple maps feature and those phantastic jedi knights (diplomats who "used their force") cannot be done in C3C, the possibilities of animated units in C3C are much better. May be to compensate the missing Civ2 ToT attacks "from another dimension", in C3C something could be achieved with the teleporters.

But - as the theme of that mod - this is future. :)

Spoiler :
Galactic Conquests Mod (GCM) for Civ 2 ToT- Betatest Version

"Captain, sensors reading a battlewaggon coming out of hyperspace behind us."

"Relax ensign, this is a battlestar of the Lost Colonies, they are on our side. At least they were, when we contacted them the last time. Close up the Enterprise to firing range against the Kilrathi Ralari"

"What´s that - fireballs coming out from the Kilrathi ship!"
"Th - that was the Excelsior, captain"

"My god, the cats have plasma weapons - and beind us a bioterminator is on his devastating way to Sagitaria. Full speed ahead to the whormhole back to our galaxy."
(Reminiscence to CGW "Hanging from Orion´s Belt")

Galactic Conquests Mod (GCM) is a non-commercial spacemod to replace the Science Fiction Game in Civ 2 ToT, playing on two linked Kobayashi-maps (the galaxy Milkyway and the galaxy Andromeda) and randomized starting positions. There are 12 playable Civilizations, each with its own specific spaceships, assisted by a bundle of common spaceships that are available to all civs. This mod has animated units with attack and death animations as seen in the intro-image, done with Mercator´s CivSprite.

The Galactic Conquests Mod is dedicated to all civers who did boldly go, where no civer has gone before. A big thank you to the members of the Civ 2 Scenario League and here especially to Kobayashi and Catfish who told me a lot about modding Civ 2, the first one with his tutorials and scenarios about ten years ago, the other one with his friendly help in answering the questions I had, when finishing that mod these days. Another big thank you to the people of the SOC-Site who are kindly hosting this mod and to Mercator who created the tool CivSprite. The biggest thank you to all the artists, that made these beautiful units I used for the animations and other graphics that are used in this mod. As I started to do most parts of this mod about ten years ago, I can´t remember all of their names, but if you see a piece of your work here, I will do my best to give you the proper credit for your work.

Top Bottom