(Rising Tide) Pre-Release Loadout-Setup Speculations

Ryika

Lazy Wannabe Artista
I have been thinking a lot about what I think will be the new Rising Tide go-to strategy. Here's my prediction of what will be ideal (for Singleplayer):

Sponsor: Al Falah (+200% Yields from City Processes)
I thought +200% from City Processes was extremely strong the moment I saw it and I still think it is. SO much science conversion in the mid-game and the Option to quickly boost growth in new cities or to blast through a few extra virtues. The other traits don't seem as strong to me. Pan Asia sounds interesting, but honestly... due to the lack of strong developmental wonders.. don't think they can keep up either. They MAY be more of a choice if it's possible to reliably get the new wonders early on by spamming Explorers. (That's assuming they're really being released with the "Free Wonder"-Trait)

Colonists: Pioneers (build Explorers/Colonists twice as fast)
Pioneer-Strategies could ALMOST keep up with Artists in Beyond Earth, I'd argue for people who play with delayed starts it already did. In Rising Tide there will be more Resource Pods and Excarvations on the map, and according to the devs the density of them has also been increased. The marvel quests also have very strong and useful effects, completing them early will be SO powerful. Of course, more Space on Water should also allow me to spam more cities on average.

The one downside of this strategy is of course the extremely low Culture Income early on. No Artists. No free Relic. As far as I can tell no diplomatic Trait that gives Flat Culture. I assume this shouldn't be too problematic though, given that 50% faster Colonist Production rate allows me to skip the Free Colonist from Prosperity completely - instead I can instantly go down Industry and should still get the important traits once I need them.

So I predict being able to boost out Explorer after Explorer before "mass"-expanding (~7 Cities) will be the new go-to strategy.

Spacecraft: Electromagnetic Sensor (Reveal Artifacts)
I'll build tons of Explorers, so what's better than instantly knowing where to send them? I'd say this one is mendatory for pretty much any Pioneers-Build.

Cargo: Machinery (Free Worker)
No surprise here.

Virtues: Industry
...will probably still be the strongest choice. As I said, I'll skip the free Settler from Prosperity. I assume Knowledge will overtake Might as my Late-game tree, given that 1-2 Health Traits from Diplomacy should allow me to reliable stay in Positive Health.

...sooo... yeah. That's the setup I'll be running after the first few Games.

Does anyone think another setup will be stronger?

One decision I can never make when running pioneers: do I build an Old Earth relic first or just rush-spam explorers?

Usually I build the Relic because I might get unlucky and get 0 culture from pods/excavations. I think now I'll go straight explorers due to the map's apparent saturation with stuff to explore!

Sidenote: extremely disappointed we don't get any new seeding options with RT :(

Yes, I too usually build the Relic first in a Non-AU, non-Artists Setup. I assume that in RT I'll probably make that decision dependent on where the AIs land (I never play with delayed starts) and how many actual excavations are around. A ton? Well, then I'll push out nothing but explorers and get the Relic shortly before I start pushing out settlers. Affinity Upgrades - or even an 80 Production Satellite - are just so strong in that part of the game.

But if there are only few Excavations to be had and the AIs are rather close, then I'll probably not take the risk. In the end delaying the Relic is like what? 40~60 Culture if we add in the average delay on the building quest? I'd probably prefer consistency there.

◾Alien Remains: 66% chance of giving you an alien unit, 33% chance of giving affinity progress
◾Crashed Satellites: 66% chance to give production bonus, 33% chance to give science bonus (I know this one is out dated - can give free solar collector)
◾Derelict Settlements: 50% chance to give culture, 50% chance to give a free population
◾Progenitor Ruins: 50% chance to give free affinity level, 50% chance to give science towards a far away tech, sometimes have a fragment of The Signal, necessary for a Contact Victory.

I think it depends on the types of excavation sites around. It might be worth forgoing the relic if there are lots of satellites - because you could use the 80 production boost to insta-build it!

Also we have no idea what these new excavation sites do:

◾Kraken Nest
◾Sunken Vehicle
◾Wrecked Colony Lander
◾Crop Circle

The OER should also be more attractive because it allows you to gather some extra Diplomatic Capital (or however it's called).

I must admit I am not a big fan of Colonists, mostly because I hate the idea that you have to get Starships or "circumvent" the exclusivity via mods. I wonder: How big is the difference between Colonists and the extra +2 hammers option, especially if you spam Explorers early on and get a late game bonus from conversion?

It's literally editing one line of LUA to enable them - and I am of the opinion that they should've been there to begin with.

Wanna know the real joke? If you set your seeding options to random there is a chance to get the hidden 'locked' ones from Starships even if you don't own the game.

That works? I've played numerous games with random settings (except for fixed planet, terran world), and I've never seen any of the hidden options.

(I have both Civ:BE and Starships, but never bothered with creating that extra account. So I could not unlock the hidden options.)

I thought +200% from City Processes was extremely strong the moment I saw it and I still think it is.
I agree! Your strategy sounds promising and synergistic.

What's funny is that Al Fatah is probably going to be extremely strong for Tall / OCC builder playstyles, too. At the start of the game, one can quickly force pop-growth to be quickly using all the available resource tiles. Then, once you hit the middle game, you normally spend most turns running convert to science. Getting a big bonus on that has got to be powerful.

That works? I've played numerous games with random settings (except for fixed planet, terran world), and I've never seen any of the hidden options.

(I have both Civ:BE and Starships, but never bothered with creating that extra account. So I could not unlock the hidden options.)

It works in multiplayer for sure - me and my two friends always random all seeding options and neither of them have Starships - I do. We frequently get the additional unlocks. Haven't tried it in singleplayer.

I don't see any reason why this would work in MP and not SP.

I have been thinking a lot about what I think will be the new Rising Tide go-to strategy. Here's my prediction of what will be ideal (for Singleplayer):

I thought +200% from City Processes was extremely strong the moment I saw it and I still think it is. SO much science conversion in the mid-game and the Option to quickly boost growth in new cities or to blast through a few extra virtues. The other traits don't seem as strong to me. Pan Asia sounds interesting, but honestly... due to the lack of strong developmental wonders.. don't think they can keep up either. They MAY be more of a choice if it's possible to reliably get the new wonders early on by spamming Explorers. (That's assuming they're really being released with the "Free Wonder"-Trait)

Colonists: Pioneers (build Explorers/Colonists twice as fast)
Pioneer-Strategies could ALMOST keep up with Artists in Beyond Earth, I'd argue for people who play with delayed starts it already did. In Rising Tide there will be more Resource Pods and Excarvations on the map, and according to the devs the density of them has also been increased. The marvel quests also have very strong and useful effects, completing them early will be SO powerful. Of course, more Space on Water should also allow me to spam more cities on average.

The one downside of this strategy is of course the extremely low Culture Income early on. No Artists. No free Relic. As far as I can tell no diplomatic Trait that gives Flat Culture. I assume this shouldn't be too problematic though, given that 50% faster Colonist Production rate allows me to skip the Free Colonist from Prosperity completely - instead I can instantly go down Industry and should still get the important traits once I need them.

So I predict being able to boost out Explorer after Explorer before "mass"-expanding (~7 Cities) will be the new go-to strategy.

Spacecraft: Electromagnetic Sensor (Reveal Artifacts)
I'll build tons of Explorers, so what's better than instantly knowing where to send them? I'd say this one is mendatory for pretty much any Pioneers-Build.

Cargo: Machinery (Free Worker)
No surprise here.

Virtues: Industry
...will probably still be the strongest choice. As I said, I'll skip the free Settler from Prosperity. I assume Knowledge will overtake Might as my Late-game tree, given that 1-2 Health Traits from Diplomacy should allow me to reliable stay in Positive Health.

...sooo... yeah. That's the setup I'll be running after the first few Games.

Does anyone think another setup will be stronger?

I agree. In fact most of this is my current go to strategy in vanilla.

Pioneers is certainly my favorite. I always push out an explorer first thing (to go along with the free one), and if you go with artifacts revealed on a standard or larger map, then maybe one more before getting started on buildings.

I have increasingly avoided the settler and worker virtues. It seems silly to "waste" a virtue on something that takes 6 or less turns to build. I'd rather get down to the health virtues and/or get an early start on the might alien science farm virtues. Since I've stopped taking the settler and worker virtues, they increasingly look like a complete waste.

As far as sponsor and virtue tree, I'll take a different one every time for flavor. I do that with everything really.

Well right now I can't even get a game to start without some unhandled memory exception. Here's to hoping Firaxis patch this game asap.

Top Bottom