GOTM 167 Spoiler

Jokemaster

Insert something here
Before I go and copypaste my log/Word document on this post, I will preface by saying that this was my first custom/fan-made scenario that didn't actually ship with the game. It was quite a learning curve: I did play a few turns of the other powers as recommended, but I did not expect the game to play out like it did, especially near the end. It was quite a slog at the beginning, making my way through the trenches, and eventually sped up as troops from one campaign moved to another, backed up by engineers and blimps. However, looking at my game I can see a few macro-level misplays and unfortunate tech misprioritization, since I didn't know what was important past the obvious first priority. There was also a significant event midway through the scenario that threw a big wrench in my plans and forced existing production to a crawl. Everybody finished very fast in the Kaiser scenario, so I'm looking forward to see how you guys tackled this scenario, and if you were quicker to adapt. Although I will say that 100 cities is probably a lot harder than six or seven capitals. At least, to me it felt that way.

After finishing GOTM168 in an evening, I’ll try my hand at GOTM167 in the five days that I’ve got left. First custom scenario I have, so dunno how well, or poorly, I’ll fare. Doesn’t seem to be a GOTM167 spoiler thread, so idk if I’m the only one playing. Based from the few screenshots I’ve seen, building Fortresses with Engineers (do we even have them?) will be crucial since there is likely to be many highly defensible positions: Vet Artilleries will be probably needed (I normally never use them: usually it’s howitzers or cavalry) I’m guessing that we don’t have Espionage: that’s gonna suck. Apparently my southern front is supposed to be still going on: we’ll see whether that’s gonna be a priority or not.

ALRIGHT. After spending a few hourse trying to make everything work properly, I’m back. I’ll play a few turns aimlessly to try and take stock of the scenario. Try and get used to it. I probably will play a few turns of everyone. It appears that in this map, the high values make Veteran status especially important, and that a Vet MG nest is near-impossible to take down. Alright, it’s go-time for real.

Oct 1914: Start researching Biplane Design. Repel many Russian attacks in East Germany. Lose a mounted regiment to kill an arty stack north of Konigsberg. Rush Engies, MG Troops and Artilleries. We have Sun Tzu’s: thank god. Lose a Zeppelin attacking Verdun. Verdun seized for 3960 (the entirety of the Entente’s treasury) gold. Kill defenders in neutral Amsterdam with Zeppelin and Ship of the Line. Looking for easy picking to guarantee Vet status. General organizing and moving units around. I don’t want to attack a position until I have plenty of units to actually seize and hold it.It appears Diplomats and Spies are disabled in this scenario…

Interturn: Turks try to attack the Suez canal and fail. French army tries to attack Salzbourg, and the MG nests hold. Same for the soldiers defending Paris. Zero units are lost. Russians attack the east. Naval battle north of Dantzig results in a sunk cruiser for them and a sunk destroyer/cruiser for me. Russians disembark between Konigsberg and Dantzig. Both cities will have MG nests next turn.

Nov 1914: Antwerpen builds Coastal Fortress. More Russian units killed on the eastern front. Zeppelin kills a four-stack and becomes vet. Multiple Russian ships sunk. It’s probably safer to let them suicide than attack ourselves: hopefully they don’t pillage. Copenhagen taken? I guess... only a month after posting this do I notice I forgot some cities. Kill 15cm arty near Nancy: these units can’t be replaced early on. Very valuable but how the hell will they be able to become Vets safely? I’ll let the Entente troops suicide a bit more before making a stab for a fortress. I physically can’t attack some Barb cities with ships for some reason, even though I could with the other one. Huh, it happened again with a destroyer not able to attack an enemy airbase (apparently only bigger ships can do that). Kill Allied warplane in an air base in England w/ship and kill the lone defender of Leicester (harassment) A single soldier lands near Kristiana. Kill a FIFTEEN-STACK of Allied navy ships near London at the cost of one destroyer. The Scapa Flow ships seem to be following the coast of England. But it’s Ships of the Line and Dreadnoughts I have to deal with.

Interturn: Entente develop War Effort. MASSIVE boat stack just near one of mine. I wonder if one of my boats will be able to claim the prize. Offensive units die on the western front, the defensive ones fall back to Paris. Allied city of BEOGRAD seized by the Austrians.

Dec 1914: 37 unit ship stack killed NE of Hamburg. Dreadnought is deservedly vet. Barb city of Amsterdam taken. Kristiana emptied of defenders. Amsterdam has a Naval Compound: that’s convenient. Lose a unit killing a double-stack on the western front. I’ll delay the attack by one turn because I don’t want to take the risk that they survive and become vet. Lose a unit because I didn’t see that the fortress was still occupied. Can’t move to take the now-free fortresses near Paris because ZOC. Seems like Zeppelins can safely take down infantry if no defensive bonuses are had: the trouble is not getting shot down by warplanes. Four-stack killed near Warsaw. Lose a Dreadnought attacking a Russian stack… another unit is lost as well.

Interturn: Heavier attack by the Allies. Lose an MG nest, but they lose more troops and left quite a few artys out in the open. Now it’s the Russians’s turn to suicide. Lots of reinforcements in Warsaw. I’m missing some details as I write this: idk if there’s an arty In Warsaw… Americans tell us they know Biplane Design.

Jan 1915: Seize Barb city of KRISTIANA. Maybe only bigger ships can attack ashore? Kill multiple French arties. Kill unit near city of Nancy, which allows us to move up! … wait nevermind. However, we successfully move up near Paris thanks to the withdrawal of the MG nests. (Maybe it’s more strategic that way?) Warsaw already defended by MG nests. This scenario is gonna be HARD. I’ll have to build multiple Engies to build fortresses as I go: food surpluses will be very temporary. Scapa Flow has a Coastal Fortress. The gods of I’m-not-looking-and-oh-look-i-ran-into-an-unit are rather nice to me this month.

Interturn: Turks take Barb city of Bucharest. Turks take it again from the Russians. Multiple Russian troops near Warsaw.

Feb 1915: Stockholm taken. Now up to 27 objectives, up from 20. More prep on the Western front. Paris will be attacked next turn.

Interturn: Ottomans develop Tactics. Entente Cordiale develop Chemical research. 3 turns a tech… I have seven… Russians mass near Posen.

March 1915: Kill a few Russian units, but most will have to be killed on the defensive. A two-stack of horses on the defensive brings a non-vet Zeppelin to the red… youch. Anyways, we’re gonna try the attack on Paris. Here we go. Lose 1 Artillery, 2 15mm and two regular army units killing two machinegun nests. Paris taken for 24g. No walls available… Not seeing how many MG troops are defending is a big problem. Also, if no walls were defending, then how the heck am I going to take down the other cities who will have walls?? More engis rushed. Kill MG nest blocking the way to Nancy. Kill MG nest in Le Havre with vet Zeppelin: they seem to have much more survivability than the non-vet ones, but I dunno if it was a non-vet MG nest. Now that Paris is taken, it should be a bit easier. When the road to Paris is done, we’ll go for London, build a quick fortress, and open fire. I’m hoping that they won’t have random arty pieces in small cities in Russia because I’ll probably not have the engis to build a fortress every single time, and will have to rely on MG nests and good luck. Holy moly the horse units are weak. Wow, MG units can take out Vet Dreadnoughts without coastal fortresses even. Learned that the hard way.I really need better bombers. Sell some inefficient buildings.

Interturn: French four-stack near Nancy. It’s really hilarious hearing the sound effects for Warriors/Archers/ancient battles when basic riflemen infantry is fighting. MG unit in Posen is almost downed: thank god I have another one ready next turn.

April 1915: 3 cities Engineers. Biplane Design > War Effort. (Aircraft Research 1 doesn’t lead to anything that's useful to me, so I’ll do something generalistic instead. I'm guessing that the Nieuport is an Allied exclusive plane and I don't need Airports that much) Ah dang, forgot about the airbase exploit, the four-stack isn’t actually killed. Cheaty Allies. Kill both defenders in Nancy: Nancy seized for 5g. The trench line is now officially broken. Defenseless Le Havre taken for 4g. That’s weird… it says I’m in Monarchy, my taxes are behaving like in Fundamentalism, yet the unit shield support system behaves just like in Repu/Demo. Zeppelins are so squishy… holy moly. I probably made a mistake going for War Effort instead of Airports. (nope i didn't the bigger mistake comes later) Railway System=Mass Transit? I need to sell them before I forget. Pollution seems to be disabled in this scenario. Is it disabled in every scenario?

Interturn: Entente develop Chemical Warfare. With no dips… I’m kinda scared! Russians develop Chemical Industry.

May 1915: Take out 15cm battery south of Warsaw. Berlin rushes Final engineer, Munich 2 more to go. Holy... the Dreadnoughts cost 400 shields to make… now I feel bad. Sell multiple Railway Systems. Thank god, bomber stacking is allowed per the GOTM rules. This will make things a lot easier. I think I’ll spam MG troops outside the Russian cities to hope and try to control the railroads. Also the House of God (catheral) doesn’t seem to work for tithes.

Interturn: Little action on the Allied front.

June 1915: MG unit and soldier killed in St. Lô at the cost of 2 basic arty units. St. Lô stormed for 5g. The Alllies are receptive… they tell me that hey, they still want war. Okay. French soldier killed west of Nancy. Start prepping troops for the invasion of the Russian city of Riga. Okay, so it’s two Engineers to build a fortress still. Got it. Kill Allied Engineer on the coasts of England w/Dreadnought: that’s an easy target.

Interturn: Allied capital moved to Bordeaux. Well, I know where I’m heading next. Entente develop Battle Gas. And they said that the Germans were war criminals. The Allies aren’t attacking anymore.
Austria-Hungary develop Colonial Troops.

July 1915: Maybe I’m too scared to lose units by attacking too early. It’s probably gonna give them enough time to build arty in London and wipe my whole stack…

Interturn: Ottomans develop Ship Design V. The gas attacks start. Russians develop Arms Research I. They also seem to have developed the “bash your head on a wall” technology, with how many units they’ve been losing.

August 1915: The Riga attack fails: lose 4 artys and a ship. MG’s on rivers are no joke. Lose a T2 arty attacking Orléans: Orléans taken for 9g. Seems like most cities are defended by dual MG’s.

Interturn: Entente develop Biplane Technology.

September 1915: Lyon taken for 19g, no casualties. Fortress built near London: 2 MG nests dropped inside. Final preparations for Warsaw. Hail Italians: Trade Biplane Design for Colonial Troops, Zeppelin Construction for Parliamentary Democracy and Ship Design V for War Effort. There’s an Italian engy on the way to Marseille… Sink Russian transport north of Arkhangelsk. T5L0S5.

Interturn: There’a 15cm arty in London!! One of the MG units die, but many more units suicide. Didin’t see how low the arty went.

October 1915: I didn’t sem to have actually learnt Parliamentary Democracy. Weird. Maybe Germany can't actually physically learn it, what about you guys? Start researching >Arms Research 1. Attack on Warsaw fails… geez. So random, so few hitpoints on my artillery. Field Arties only have 20 hp compared to the 15cm's 40hp, so they can die very quickly despite not having that much more in terms of stats. Things can go south very quickly if you anger the lord of RNG. The city wasn’t even on a river. I lost 5 artys and a horse and only killed one MG nest. Seems like Siege Arty is important, but it’s so freakin’ expensive… 200 shields apiece and lots of research away. Really worried that the "more advanced" option will replace the Field Artillery and that the lesser producing cities will have nothing to build. 100 shields is a lot bigger of a build than 50 shields. Seems like all the London units survived after all. Another big issue is that I have no way to check of enemy cities have Fortifications or not. Other than straight up killing a unit inside and checking if the city's pop dropped or not. Easier said than done.

Interturn: Multiple Russian artys in Vilnius.

(Forgot to make recaps. I had like 30ish cities back then)

I researched Biplanes first because I thought that the scenario would have good earlygame air combat, with bombers and whatnot: we only had monoplanes, whose combat stats are a big joke. (Edit: They can't even attack bombers. LOL.) Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong: I didn't actually need fighter planes until the US attacked me. I should have prioritized Artillery Design II more heavily, followed by either War Bonds or Siege Artillery depending how easy of a time I had taking heavily defended cities. Especially the ones with the river defensive bonus, like Riga or Rome. I would have been better served making a dash for better guns instead of sidestepping for better planes.

Strangely enough, the machine guns that were defending the trenches in France moved back to Paris, and allowed me to move in. I'm guessing because there were only regular units guarding the place, and that they all suicided at the front so the MG'S had to pull back. Did that happen to anyone else?

(EDIT: I also forgot that Airplane Design 1 giving airports was a lot more important than I thought it would be at the later ends of the game. Apparently airlifting of units is enabled in this scenario, so you can ship heavy artillery to Canada/NA to prepare for a war before it starts. If only I knew that I would have rushed many more airports.)

Ah crap, just realized that I forgot to put the "Spoiler" in the title. Mods, is it possible to do anything about this? You can delete and re-copy this thread if you want/need to.

EDIT: Thanks Ali.

No other responses. Maybe I'm the only one playing?

November 1915: Arms Research 1 > Artillery Design 2. The upgraded artys are twice as expensive and have twice as many hitpoints, so taking cities will be a lot easier with a bigger margin of error and less RNG involved. Kill MG nest and biplane in Bordeaux with no losses: the capital is taken for 6g. I’m having A LOT more success with the T2 artys than with the T1, but they’re all tied up in the western front. I’ll have to stall the eastern front and build my fortresses in front of cities the old-fashioned way. Barracks cost 500shields apiece… I will rue the day I lose Sun Tzu’s. All these failed attacks in the eastern front is starting to distress me. Now up to 34 objectives up from 20 after 13 turns: with my gold reserves from the first turn all dried up, I do not think I will be able to get to decisive victory in time. Note to self: Include the “Marginal Defeat” save as well.

Interturn: Entente develop … I forgot what. Lose a ship for the cost of one in the English Canal. Russians develop Fertilizers. My MG troop near Vilinus gets killed after taking down one basic arty.

December 1915: 2 MG nests killed in Brest: Brest taken for 2g. It’s so easy with Vet T2’s! Or maybe the city didn’t have walls. Engies on their way to the Russian front. Delay an attack on Marseille because I don’t have bomber stacking support. I'm REALLY scared of a random T1 sitting in the city and killing the stack, and no engies nearby.

Interturn: Ottomans develop Fertilizers. Lose 2 MG nests near London. The troops need to bail! Oh wait, I still have another MG troop left. Trade (Lose? Kill?) Dreadnoughts near London.

January 1916: MG nest and freight ship killed in Narbonne: Narbonne seized for 2g. The only cities remaining in France are Nantes and Marseille: afterwards, it’s on to London. First Fortress built near Riga. Marseilles and Nantes should be taken next turn: I need to start planning an invasion force in Africa.

Interturn: United States start Chemical Weapon Plant: IIRC it’s Isaac Newton’s. Repel a horse attack near London. Hail Russians: they propose a cease-fire. No way.

February 1916: Bremen Sewer System. Single MG nest killed in Nantes: Nantes taken for 3g. They tend to suicide all their all-purpose units and leave their cities defended by only a few MG nests. Still hard to deal with. Marseillle suffers the same fate. Stockpile units to prepare the invasion of London. Hail Ottomans: Give Biplane Design to preserve the alliance. They don’t want to trade.

Interturn: No Allied moves. Russians develop Biplane Design.

March 1916: More MG troops and artillery lands near London. Go-time is in 2 turns, when the first 15cm artilleries from the French campaign will be ready to fight. Half of England is in permanent riot. With how long the battles are taking, I keep thinking my city-defender unit will lose when it attacks a unit from a city (can’t see the unit) when it finished at yellow hp. Start building a fortress near Warsaw. If bomber stacking is cheap, then bomber stacking inside a fortress is even cheaper as I kill a T1 Russian arty near Riga.

Interturn: Entente develop Aircraft Research II. I am getting heavily out-researched. Narbonne repels naval attack. Lose an MG nest near London for a T2 arty.

April 1916: Intermediate fortress complete: troops will finally be able to move to Vilinus. Fortress near Warsaw complete. I have 11 Arties, including 2 T2’s, and 3 Zeppelins to attack London next turn. Sink Cruiser east of London.

Interturn: The opening AI battles after a turn ends always give me a jumpscare. Ottomans take Russian city of Odessa. Survive a destroyer attack from Allies. Italians move a T1 arty right near Marseille: do they want war? Would give me an easier way into Africa, that’s for sure. Survive attacks from Vilinus. Austria-Hungary develops Biplane Design.

May 1916: Artillery Design II > Arms Research II. I’m making a stab for T3 arties. Attack on London launched: Lose a T2 and a T1 killing an MG nest and a T2. LONDON CAPTURED for 30g, British Empire. (The equivalent of the Apollo Program. AKA useless) Railways around London make this very convenient. Apparently you don’t lose the option to build T1’s when you learn the tech for T2’s. Wish I knew this sooner. Hail Italians: trade War Economy for Arms Research 1. Peace. Didn’t get the opportunity to tell them to scram. Is this a repeat of GOTM118? Still have 15 T1’s available. Kill MG nest in Cardiff and Leicester: Cardiff seized for 10g and Leicester seized for 8g. Marginal defeat achieved. I kinda want to find a reason to go for Italy. Liverpool seized for 11g: every city only had one MG defender… At this rate Britain will be completely mine in only a few turns. Not gonna bother with Scapa Flow: city has a coastal fortress already and no avenue to assault from with Marines disabled. Good, because I’ll need the troops to invade Canada. Start precharging an engi near Liverpool. DO NOT FORGET ABOUT THAT. SAME FOR MARSEILLE. AND WARSAW.

Have 10 T1’s to attack Warsaw. Lose 5 T1’s and a Zeppelin to kill 3 MG’s, 1 inf unit an 1 horse unit . Warsaw taken for 216g: the first Russian city that I’ve been able to seize. Oh, and it hurt. That’s five cities conquered in a row. Lose a Ship of the Line harassing Russian forces. Ground units have a lot more HP than sea units. Don't think I really agree with that design decision. Is there an "increased defence against sea units" flag available to check so MG's can counter heavy ships? It seems really wrong that horse units can defeat heavy battleships, even for Civ.

Interturn: Turks develop Aircraft Research II. No sneak attack. Enemy Dreadnought sunk near St. Petersburg. Many Italian ships near Marseille.

Holy moly the England campaign was underwhelming. But I'm not complaining!

EDIT: Snapshot of my March 1916 save:
Status in March 1916
Objectives 38 Cities 38 Techs 44 Gold 232 Income 432 Cost 302 T5L0S5
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Shakespeare, Manhattan,
Units: 10 engineers, 89 German Army, 35 MG Troops, 45 T1 Arties, 1 Horse unit, 5 T2 Arties (total of 165 land units. Probably a sign of overly garrisoned cities, but I was afraid of a sneak attack) 21 sea, 4 freight ships, 8 air blimps.
Notes: Allied with Austrians and Ottomans; War with Russians and Allies
Goals: Conquest of England, save for Scapa Flow. Plan an attack on Italy after France is done. Maybe doing some actual progress on the Russian front would be OK as well?

I did some prep and learning early on and then left this game for a long time. Lack of play time and starting GOTM 168 contributed to my lateness as well.

I started playing actual turns a week ago and will post my log for the first 3 turns shortly. As Jokemaster pointed out already this is a long scenario and very unlike Kaiser which we played last year. There you had to take only a few major cities which could be done rather quickly with careful planning. In this one you start with 22 cities/objectives and have to work your way up to 100 which takes quite a bit of time. I am glad I have already extended the time and contemplating doing so even more.

Jokemaster, I finally read your first (but not the second) log entry here in detail. Compared to you I have had faster conquests so far. I am surprised by how much trouble Russians gave you, mine are so far not that much trouble. I think the biggest different factors in my game are
1. heavy reliance on zeppelins. I blew over 5K rushing many of those in the first few turns.
2. naval attacking of cities to empty/soften their defenses.

Based from the few screenshots I’ve seen, building Fortresses with Engineers (do we even have them?) will be crucial since there is likely to be many highly defensible positions
I went for offense at the outset, and so far seen nothing to contradict it. I have not built any fortifications.

... a Vet MG nest is near-impossible to take down.
Indeed that is one of the biggest challenges for me as well.

Oct 1914:Rush Engies, MG Troops and Artilleries.
I only rushed engineers, transports, and zeppelins. I figured I have enough land troops already.

Nov 1914: Antwerpen builds Coastal Fortress.
hmm.. So far I have been lucky and managed to kill a lot of allied naval units in the sea but I have lost a great part of my navy. Perhaps I should build some of those as a precaution as well.

I physically can’t attack some Barb cities with ships for some reason, even though I could with the other one.
I discovered in the playing-around phase that only certain ship types can attack land. In our starting fleet only dreadnoughts and ships of line can do that.

Kill a FIFTEEN-STACK of Allied navy ships near London at the cost of one destroyer.
I have killed 3 such stacks so far. I see so much allied naval movement in between turns that it is scary.

Can’t move to take the now-free fortresses near Paris because ZOC.
With no vans and no spies, the only units that can help you navigate ZOC are air units.

Railway System=Mass Transit? I need to sell them before I forget. Pollution seems to be disabled in this scenario. Is it disabled in every scenario?
I sold those the first turn. Yes pollution is disabled in this scenario as announced in the game thread. It is disabled in most war scenarios.

... the Dreadnoughts cost 400 shields to make…
All warships are mighty expensive to build in this scenario. Good thing we started with a lot of them.

Also the House of God (catheral) doesn’t seem to work for tithes.
hmm... Did not notice that, should remember to check it out.

September 1915: ... Hail Italians: Trade Biplane Design for Colonial Troops, Zeppelin Construction for Parliamentary Democracy and Ship Design V for War Effort.
What???????????????
I tried at the outset and then again on turn 2 or 3. No one wants to even talk to me, not even my allies. They all tell me to get lost. There must be something in the event file that triggers the onset of diplomacy. I have to go figure it out.

Strangely enough, the machine guns that were defending the trenches in France moved back to Paris, and allowed me to move in. I'm guessing because there were only regular units guarding the place, and that they all suicided at the front so the MG'S had to pull back. Did that happen to anyone else?
In my game too the French, after heavy losses on my well manned western front pulled back from their trenches allowing me to occupy them. I have not yet attacked Paris but I am preparing to do so soon.

Strategies:
•Capture neutral cities (barbarian). Copenhagen and Amsterdam are reachable overland; Stockholm and Kristina require building a transport.
•We have a chance to take 2 Allied cities close to our cities in Africa.
•French land front looks hopelessly fortified. We should attack from the sea.
•Russian front looks doable.
•Take Allied Scapa Flow containing Magellan
•Take Balkans which among other things gives easy access to the Mediterranean.

Date Notes

Status at start of 1914/10

Objectives 22 Cities 22 Techs 40 Gold 3255 Cost 283
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Manhattan
Units: 0 engineers, 145 land, 39 sea, 7 air
Notes: Allied with Austrians and Ottomans; War with Russian and Allies
Goals: Copenhagen and Amsterdam, engineers, transports

1914/10 Austria loses the cities of Lemberg and Czernowitz to Russians.
Chose BiPlane design for next tech.
Copenhagen and Amsterdam rendered defenseless. Amsterdam captured for 0g and 4 structures. Cannot reach Copenhagen this turn.
Verdun does not look too bad. 2 artillery and one German army kill its 3 defenders and the city is captured for 3960g! and 3 structures including walls.
Lost 2 units including a Zepplin on Russians and killed 3.
Lost a unit attacking neutral infantry on mountain.
T5L0S5. 16 Railway systems (Mass transit) and 1 courthouse sold.

1914/11 Allies lose many units attacking my western front. Russians kill 2 army units and lose a few land units in the process. Russians sink 2 naval units.
Allies spread out from Lagos allowing me to kill its single defender and take the city for 19g and harbor; many allied units disappear.
Barbarian Copenhagen and Kristiana captured each for 0g, marketplace, mass transit, and factory.
6 Russian ships sunk. 7 Russian units killed.
Single defender of Russian Warsaw killed and the city taken for 243g, library, barracks, and city walls.
Lost 2 ships attacking allied ships. 15 and then 14 allied units killed in one naval attack each! 1 allied units killed.
3 defenders of LaHavre killed by 3 Zeppelins.

1914/12 Allies achieve aircraft 1. Allies kill 4 units positioned for assault. Allies lose some units attacking my western front. Allies kill 5 naval units losing some.
Austrians take Belgrade.
Barbarian Stockholm captured after losing a ship on it
4 allied units killed and 3 lost.
Lost a ship attacking LaHavre before all its remaining defenders were killed and the city taken for 9g and 3 structures.
2 defenders of StLo killed and the city taken for 9g and 3 structures.
5 Russian units killed and 1 unit lost. Lost 2 ships attacking Russian land units.
Killed single defender of Russian Riga and took the city for 167g and 4 structures.

1915/1 Americans achieve BiPlane. Russians achieve Arms 1.
Allies and Russians lose some units attacking me. Russians kill a unit.

Status at start of 1915/1
Objectives 32 Cities 32 Techs 40 Gold 176 Cost 256
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Manhattan
Units: 4 engineers, 135 land, 33 sea, 23 air
Goals: Scapa Flow, St. Petersburg, Paris, African coastal towns.

I went for offense at the outset, and so far seen nothing to contradict it. I have not built any fortifications.

I had no clue what to expect, so I thought there would be artillery units stationed inside every city to wipe my stacks and lots of air as well if I tried to bomberstack. Only the Americans had an air force worth its salt, and I never saw any garrisoned arties anywhere for instant counterattacks (only after a few turns did they start popping up). That being said, only now do I notice that the Allies' turn is after yours, which means that they don't actually have fully fortified units until your third turn, leaving 1 turn to attack with fresh zeppelins. But not for the Russians. How on earth did you get Warsaw down so quickly...

Jokemaster, I finally read your first (but not the second) log entry here in detail. Compared to you I have had faster conquests so far. I am surprised by how much trouble Russians gave you, mine are so far not that much trouble. I think the biggest different factors in my game are
1. heavy reliance on zeppelins. I blew over 5K rushing many of those in the first few turns.
2. naval attacking of cities to empty/soften their defenses.

How quickly did the enemies start building MG nests in their cities to defend? Since you don't initially have the tech for Airports, non-vet Zeppelins will fall off super hard pretty soon if you can't find a target to Sun Tzu them safely when cities are garrisonned by MG nests. Zeppelins have very low base HP after all.

EDIT: Did you escort your artillery units with MG nests? Did they get counterattacked?

Killed single defender of Russian Riga and took the city for 167g and 4 structures.
Single defender of Russian Warsaw killed and the city taken for 243g, library, barracks, and city walls.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Since I can't open Civ2 at college due to nodisk, I don't know if I overlooked that detail when doing prep or if it's just luck, holy...

1915/1 Lost 2 boats attacking ScapaFlow which has coastal fortress.
Lost a zeppelin before capturing allied Accra for 4g.
Lost a ship before capturing allied Brest for 8g and 3 structures.
Allied Nantes captured for 6g and 3 structures.
Killed 3 allied units and lost a Zeppelin.
Lost 2 subs attacking allied ships.
Zeppelin kills 26 allied units in one kamikaze air to sea attack.
Lost a ship before capturing Russian Helsinki for 113g and 2 structures.
Lost a zeppelin attacking Russian Brest-Litovsk before capturing the city for 110g and 2 structures.
Killed 6 Russian units.

1915/2 Allies develop Aviation tactics.
Russians lose several units attacking me. Got 1000g from war bonds.
Lost a zeppelin before capturing Russian Vilnius for 138g and 2 structures.
Lost an army and killed 2 Russian units.
Lost 2 zeppelins on Allied Nancy.

1915/3 Russians lose one unit attacking me and kill a unit.
Bucharest is conquered by Austrians.
Lost 5 artillery, 3 army, 4 zeppelins before capturing Paris for 65g and 7 structures.
Lost a ship of Line before capturing Bordeaux for 14g and 3 structures.
Lost 1 artillery, 4 army before capturing allied Nancy for 11g and Bank.
Lost a vet dreadnought on Russian Revall.
Lost 3 zeppelins and 1 army on Russian Dunaburg.
Killed one Russian army.

1915/4 Allies develop war effort. Allies lose 3 units attacking me.
Russians lose several units attacking me killing one army.
BiPlane -> Aircraft 1

Status at start of 1915/4
Objectives 41 Cities 41 Techs 41 Gold 310 Cost 294
Units: 6 engineers, 118 land, 26 sea, 15 air
Goals: Scapa Flow, St. Petersburg, Minsk, Dunaburg, France and Spain, African coastal towns.

It's not even gonna be close. Holy moly.

I had no clue what to expect, so I thought there would be artillery units stationed inside every city to wipe my stacks and lots of air as well if I tried to bomberstack.
I studied the techs of my enemies and realized they do not have fighter planes, which encouraged me to build lots of Zeppelins but I used them primarily for assault not for stacking. Also many cities had trenches (forts) next to them so I did not have to worry about losing stacks. For those that did not I simply spread my forces.

How quickly did the enemies start building MG nests in their cities to defend?
The first 3 turns both the French and the Russians were in assault mode and would spread their forces creating easy targets for my non vet units as well as allowing easier take over of their cities. But in 1915, as you can see from my log, they pulled back into their cities causing me massive casualties on assault.

As of 1915/4 I have lost a third of my air and naval forces compared to 3 turns before in 1915/1. With all my cash spent it is going to be a long haul.

Since you don't initially have the tech for Airports, non-vet Zeppelins will fall off super hard pretty soon if you can't find a target to Sun Tzu them safely when cities are garrisonned by MG nests. Zeppelins have very low base HP after all.
Correct. I avoided all MG units whenever I could. Instead I picked easier targets. Early on their cities were lightly defended and I went around their forces to capture a city counting on many of their units to disappear afterwards. I used my Ships of Line and Dreadnoughts exclusively for land attacks and they were instrumental in all coastal conquests.

EDIT: Did you escort your artillery units with MG nests? Did they get counterattacked?
I did whenever I could but I did not have enough MGs and I did not bother making any. 3/4 of my cities were producing Zeppelins and the rest engineers, transports, and submarines (not a great decision so far).

I tried at the outset and then again on turn 2 or 3. No one wants to even talk to me, not even my allies. They all tell me to get lost. There must be something in the event file that triggers the onset of diplomacy. I have to go figure it out.

The AI were the ones to initiate diplomacy every time I traded, with only one exception. You must have gotten unlucky I guess.

I did try to look for that in the event file but did not find anything. The one I commented on happened in Sept of 1915. I suppose that was your first dialogue, right? If so, I have not gotten that far yet.

My machine has been having boot up problems and I have turned it in to be repaired. I am anxious to get it back and finish this one.

1915/4 Lost 1 artillery, 2 zeppelin, 1 army before capturing Dunaburg for 134g.
Last defender of Russian Revall killed and the city taken for 138g.
Killed 1 French army.

1915/5 Allies kill a cavalry and lose some units attacking me.
Allied destroyer sinks my African transport with 3 units on board heading north on the coast of Africa. Allies deploy a large navy on the NW coast of France.
Russians develop Arms 2.
Russians kill 2 units and lose 3 units attacking me.
9 Allied naval units killed by Zeppelins and naval units; lost a destroyer.
1 French army killed. Single defender of allied Cetinje killed and the city taken for 9g
3 Russian units killed. Lost 2 zeppelins attacking Minsk.

1915/6 Allies develop war economy.
Allies kill a cavalry rendering Cetinje defenseless and lose some units attacking me.
Russians lose many units attacking my allies and I.
Lost 2 zeppelins and 1 army before capturing capturing Orelans for 27g and 3 structures.
2 allied naval units sunk.
Lost an army attacking Minsk. 1 Russian army killed and 1zeppelin lost.
Lost 2 army and a dreadnought before capturing St. Petersburg for 420g, Shakespeare, and 8 structures including an Airport!

1915/7 Allies lose one unit attacking me.
Russians kill 3 units ready to assault Minsk and lose some units attacking me.
Austrians develop war effort.

Status at start of 1915/7
Objectives 45 Cities 46 Techs 41 Gold 209 Cost 325
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Shakespeare, Manhattan
Units: 8 engineers, 101 land, 23 sea, 14 air
Goals: Scapa Flow, Minsk, France and Spain, African coastal towns.

1915/7 Defenseless allied Narbonne captured for 52g and 3 structures.
1 allied unit killed.
Lost 2 zeppelins and 5 armies before killing 3 MGs defending Lyon and capturing the city for 103g and 3 structures.

1915/8 Allies develop BiPlane. Allies lose one unit attacking me.
Russians kill an army.
2 allied units killed. 1 Russian unit killed.
Oslo founded.
Lost a ship of Line before capturing barbarian Lisbon for 3 structures.

1915/9 Allies lose one unit attacking me. Americans lose a unit attacking Lisbon.
Russians lose 3 units attacking me and kill an army.
Aircraft 1 -> Aircraft 2
2 defenders of Marseilles killed and the city captured for 109g and 4 structures. France is now fully under my reign.
Lost 4 zeppelins, 1 army, and an artillery attacking Minsk reducing it to size 1.
Lost 3 armies attacking Russians.
SNorway founded.

1915/10 Russians lose several units attacking me.
Somehow Russian Minsk is no longer present.

Status at start of 1915/10
Objectives 49 Cities 52 Techs 42 Gold 744 Cost 353
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Shakespeare, Manhattan
Units: 6 engineers, 96 land, 22 sea, 16 air
Goals: Scapa Flow, Spain, African coastal towns.

With how much of an overreliance on zeppelins you've had up until now, have you started running into troubles where Zeppelins were taking too much time to heal up and you can't attack? How many Airports did you built until now? And how many of your blimp units were Veterans?

You're still quite a ways ahead of me, although the pace of your conquests has stabilised compared to mine.

Initially I relied a lot on zeppelins and because at 120 shields they were not too expensive to reproduce 80% of my cities were producing zeppelins. The rivals quickly pulled back and put multiple MGs in their cities. Even vet zeppelins are not a good match for those. My casualties mounted and my treasury was drained.

I also relied heavily on the two ships that could attack land: dreadnoughts and ships of Line. They were used against the coastal cities. I did not even bother reproducing those initially due to their expensive cost (300+ shields).

While right at the beginning that was a good strategy I relied on it too long. Recently I am relying a lot more on artillery. 15cm guns are great but we do not have the tech to reproduce them. Just recently I started producing the more elementary artillery pieces that we can produce. I am still producing a lot of zeppelins and have started cities with naval compounds on producing vet land-attack-ships.

My first airport was gained through conquest of St. Petersburg in 1915/6. I have so far only repaired one zeppelin there because it is so far away from the front. Right after gaining the tech I have set several cities to produce airports but none has finished yet. I try to pick on any unit other than MGs to turn my zeppelins vet.

I am looking forward to the next part of your log.

June 1916: I apparently don’t even get to ask the Italians to leave my territory: that option is blank. I’ll have to build a nest myself: bomber stack is in action. (Always pair them with an MG unit!) Kill MG nest in Edinburgh: Edinburgh seized for 10g. Lose an infantry unit, 2 T1’s, a horse unit killing 2 MG’s, 2 T1’s and a horse unit. Vilinus seized for 112g. My finances are getting healthier, but still T5L0S5. Not having the tech for Granaries sucks since my cities are very small, but if I research Total War Effort I lose Sun Tzu’s, and with how freakin’ expensive Barracks are in this game (500shields!!!) I don’t wanna deal with that. Many of my cities only produce 10 shields or less and are on T1 duty. Building Barracks for all of them would not be worth it by a long shot, and they'd become pretty useless for the remainder of the scenario since they'd take forever to build anything offensive that ain't gonna get instakilled bc no vet status. And unlike Zeppelins, it would be pretty hard to vet artilleries safely.

Interturn: USA are almost done with Chemical Power Plant. 3 times over. Russian Empire develops Arms Research II.

July 1916: Bordeaux Industrial District. Lose a Zeppelin attacking a two-stack. Fortress built near Genova. Fortress built between Belfast and Dublin. Kill MG unit in Glagscow: Glagscow sacked for 4g.

Interturn: Havana builds Chem Weapons Plant. USA start Air Force Academy. Allies research Aviation Tactics.

August 1916: Kill MG’s in Belfast and Dublin with no losses. Both cities taken for 2 and 5g. Build fortress near Minsk. Kill MG in Brest-Livtosk: city razed for 30g. That kinda sucks… I always get stressed out whenever I’m about to break a peace treaty. Even in this game… Fortifications bought in Munich: the Hungarian alliance is going to fall sooner or later, and I need to be ready for it. Sneak attack the Italians: kill 2 MG’s at no loss. Genova seized and 45g alongside it. 3 MG’s at the cost of 2 T1’s killed in Milano. Decide not to take Milano this turn as it would be overextending. Many troop movements to Russia. It would take 5/6 turns for the Britain troops to reach Quebec. Build a fortress near the African city of Accra just so they waste resources. Now up to 48 objectives.

Interturn: A TON of small ships near Accra. A heavier ship should be able to get rid of them. Lose a soldier near Minsk.

September 1916: Stockholm, Edinburgh, Gloucester Engineers. Munich Walls. Build Pripyat on the ruins of Brest-Livtosk to repair the road to Minsk. I will attack Minsk in 2 turns. Kill MG in Milano: Milano taken for 190g. Convoy to Canada takes off, although some units are late.

Interturn: A BUNCH of Italian ships dock into Ravenne.

October 1916: Arms Research II > Arms Research III. Kill in Ravenne 2 MG’s and 5/6 heavy ships. Ravenna seized for 175g. First arty units arrive in Riga. Sink Transport east of Halifax.

Interturn: Russians develop Ship Design V. Russian attacks repelled.

Nov 1916: Kill 1 MG, 1 Russian army and 1 Foreign Legion in Minsk for 1 T1. Minsk seized for 58g.

Interturn: Turks develop Aircraft Research II. Americans tell us they know Total War Effort… which cancels Sun Tzu’s. ***. USA are almost done with Air Force Academy. Loaded ship near Accra. With how expensive Barracks are, I don’t think I’ll build lots of’em.

Well, that's an unfortunate setback...

EDIT: I'm home for a few days. Here's a snapshot for October 1916:

Status in October 1916 (before Ravenne conquest)
Objectives 49 Cities 51 Techs 47 Gold 136 Income 576 Cost 406 T5L0S5
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Shakespeare, Manhattan, Apollo
Units: 10 engineers, 87 German Army, 51 MG Troops, 51 T1 Arties, 8 colonial troops, 15 T2 Arties (total of 212 land units) 18 sea, 5 freight ships, 7 air blimps.
Notes: Allied with Austrians and Ottomans; War with Russian, Italians and Allies

Goals: Italy (and eventually African towns) Continue war with Russia, Invade Canada, research arty techs. Prepare for war against Austria eventually.

1915/10 2 Russian units killed. 1 Allied unit killed.
Lost 2 ships and a Zeppelin on Gibraltar due to its coastal fortress and razed the city inadvertently.

1915/11 Allies develop Chemical Research. Americans lose another unit attacking Lisbon.
Russians develop Colonial Troops. Russians lose some units attacking me.
1 Allied unit killed.

1915/12 Russians reach peace with Austrians and Ottomans.
Russians lose several units attacking me.
Austrians and Allies reach peace.
Single defender of Madrid killed and the city taken for 2 structures.
Spain is now fully under my reign.
1 Allied unit killed.
Lost my last dreadnought attacking allied Casablanca. My Zeppelins cannot reach the African coast. I need a new strategy. The 4 NW African allied cities all have a hill next door. I shall deposit a MG there followed by artillery.
Sweden1 and Norway1 founded.

1916/1 Allies reach peace with Ottomans. Russians lose a unit attacking me.
Air Craft 2 -> War effort.

Status at start of 1916/1
Objectives 50 Cities 55 Techs 43 Gold 303 Cost 359
Units: 10 engineers, 104 land, 19 sea, 23 air
Diplomacy not yet possible
Goals: Scapa Flow, slow and steady conquest of Russia, African coastal towns.

Are you done soon with the game? I've finished for a while, but I'm a bit wary of posting the rest of my log since this is a spoiler thread after all. Wouldn't want my mid-lategame decisions to affect your play.

Top Bottom