Oh Spain, why do you torment me so?

Very nice! A little tip for you though: You didn't have to settle a city just to get some Aluminum. You could always buy/build a Recycling Center to get some Aluminum. Better still is you can pay to improve a tile for a city state. IIRC, it cost me just 200 gold to improve Aluminum for a city state that had a plot with 8 yield on it. Since they were my ally, I got 8 Aluminum that very turn.

Those are all good ways to import aluminum. You could also trade for it with other civilizations. Paying for aluminum or exporting another resource whether its strategic or luxurious are both fine.

There is a problem if your tech rate is so far ahead of other civs that none of them have the technology to mine aluminum, then you're forced to settle a city for it.

There is a problem if your tech rate is so far ahead of other civs that none of them have the technology to mine aluminum, then you're forced to settle a city for it.

When I did the t227 SV, I was a massive tech leader. As I said, a 200g tile improvement to an allied CS put 8 Aluminum into my hands immediately. Gifting a tile improvement appears to be tied to YOUR tech only. I tried later in the same game for Oil and it worked then too.

When I did the t227 SV, I was a massive tech leader. As I said, a 200g tile improvement to an allied CS put 8 Aluminum into my hands immediately. Gifting a tile improvement appears to be tied to YOUR tech only. I tried later in the same game for Oil and it worked then too.
Note that this only works as long as the City-State doesn't have a mine on the tile. Other improvements like farms are fine and will get changed to mines upon gifting the 200g.

But anyway, it's never a problem for SV as you can easily buy recycling centers for it. It's more a problem if you plan on doing information era warfare.

Very nice! A little tip for you though: You didn't have to settle a city just to get some Aluminum. You could always buy/build a Recycling Center to get some Aluminum. Better still is you can pay to improve a tile for a city state. IIRC, it cost me just 200 gold to improve Aluminum for a city state that had a plot with 8 yield on it. Since they were my ally, I got 8 Aluminum that very turn.

Yeah I know but I honestly couldn't be arsed, this was the easy way out :D I'm also used to Deity where everyone has all Aluminium improved well before you even get there

I'm going to replay after T101 save to see if I can do *much* better. If I finish still in the 220-230 range, it's still good

Question here - What do people spend their 1000 gold on?

I guess buying 1 settler is good. 2 settlers though is obviously bad as that is a 8 point hit to happiness which means your cities can't grow much until you either find new wonders or get the luxury tiles improved which means building a worker. Then it also significantly delays your early social policies.

So I'm thinking buy 1 settler and 1 worker? This difficulty is Emperor right? So the CSs won't have workers for quite some time. The earlier too that you get those tiles improved means your civ snowballs earlier.
Planting 2 cities and keeping that at 1 population each until you get luxuries connected 20 turns later seems pretty counter-intuitive to me.

2 settlers though is obviously bad as that is a 8 point hit to happiness which means your cities can't grow much

Starting with 2-3 cities instead of one is definitely worth temporary unhappiness. If you watch either of my Spanish Mesa Gibraltar games, you'll see that in both, I start off with 3 cities and easily overcome the unhappiness and continue to expand. The 2nd playthrough is the better example of course: https://youtu.be/wuu6t7OUDIE?list=PLq46mc4m-emD1CzO-k0mpZqcsC5Wp-U8t

As for this Spanish GBR map, my initial 1,000g goes to GBR x2, Settler, and Worker. I'm actually going to make a video of my game for demonstration of SV coordination like I did my Wonderless Culture Video. Which was the opening will be 1 part in the form of a LP and the 2nd part will be the rest of the game condensed to highlight relevant decisions. I hope to have the first part released later today so you can see exactly what steps I personally take on this map to get the ball rolling.

Ok interesting to see that most people decide 1 settler, 1 worker is best :)

One thing to note is
Spoiler :
Once your settle your capital you have to buy tiles to get to the GBR and salt immdediately (especially if you want the mountain). So that automatically discounts you from being able to buy 2 settlers

But besides that the choice is between 1 (second) settler and 1 worker. The 2nd and 3rd city would have to stagnate at a population of 2 until you connect luxuries many turns later. Having the worker though means you can effectively increase tiles yields by 33-50%. Getting those tiles up earlier (especially for the capital) in my mind quickly eclipses the value of having a 3rd city stagnating until you get a worker there about 20-25 turns later.

Focusing on the capital with a worker also allows you to aggressively compete towards wonders so I think its a pretty clear decision. But I suppose 3 cities does have the advantage in that you never have to bother building settlers (at least until your capital is well developed) but I still think that getting into unhappiness is not worth the risk. The Civ 5 economy really forces you to have a good capital and getting into early unhappiness is going to really hurt you later on.

You could also get that gold to purchase city states. City states could have luxurious resources or other bonuses that could help your civilization out somehow. Early diplomacy, while paying city states that need gold could be a good way to make alliances early and start taking advantage of the bonuses a lot sooner.

Improved to T222 :)

I still don't know how do people go from Plastics to win in 30 turns. I'm lucky if I get 40ish

Still, Emperor or not, I'm quite happy with myself as this is my new record

Attachments

• spain gbr.jpg
    spain gbr.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 80
The great barrier reef is probably the best natural wonder for Spain.
Btw, any idea if the natural heritage sites resolution will also double the culture output?

Improved to T222 :)

I still don't know how do people go from Plastics to win in 30 turns. I'm lucky if I get 40ish

Still, Emperor or not, I'm quite happy with myself as this is my new record

Very nice! You beat my record *bows* For what it's worth, in my game, victory came almost 70 turns after Plastics.

My apology to those who might've been looking forward to my videos of this map. I've been distracted and in the context of Civ 5, I've kind of been uber-mapped out. Want to get my feet back on the ground so I have a shot at Immortal without getting too frustrated that I don't have these broken starts. Though I did just release a video about Crippling Your Opponent With No War that took place right around the time I got Statue of Liberty and Plastics if you want to see what my intakes were looking like at that point.

Btw, any idea if the natural heritage sites resolution will also double the culture output?

Spain's UA will double all of a natural wonder's tile yields except for the sea resources that can appear under GBR like this: http://i.imgur.com/jEBQZ3e.png

Arguably the best NW period I think.

I started this map again to see if I can get a sub 200 diplo win out of it. I got a turn 83 Education, which is probably the best I'll ever have

Top Bottom