Civ4Hints

<Nexus>

Traveler of the Multiverse
So with your permission I would like to make a little background work for you guys, updating the hints. Looking through the texts found in ROM-AND folder I found the following stuff that may need to be changed:

Spoiler :

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_INTERFACE_2</Tag>

<English>*BUG Hint*: Ever forget to build that Barracks? [ALT +M] -OR- [ALT + CTRL + R] will allow you to set up reminders so you don't forget again!</English>

I don't know if it works or not. Never tried.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_INTERFACE_7</Tag>

<English>*BUG Hint*: To create rally points, select the city, or cities, you are building units it, hold down the [SHIFT] key and Right Click on the tile you want your rally point to be at. You will see a yellow circle showing the rally point.[NEWLINE]To cancel orders select the same city or cities, [SHIFT] and Right click on any city square, and it will cancel the rally orders.</English>

I don't know if it works or not. Never tried.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_17</Tag>

<English>*BUG Hint*: Watch your neighbors' civics changes. A change from Free Religion to Theocracy could mean an arms build-up.</English>

Change "Theocracy" text to "Intolerant"

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_20</Tag>

<English>*BUG Hint*: Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.</English>

I simply don't understand this one :(

<Tag>TXT_KEY_HINT_73</Tag>

<English>To found a Corporation, you must have the correct type of Great Person, have researched the appropriate technologies and build it in a city with one or more of the resources that the Corporation demands. See the "Corporations" entry under the "Beyond the Sword Concepts" section for more details.</English>

Needs correction?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_3</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Civics have 2 new categories and new options have been added to original categories. All civics have been changed with new effects.</English>

Remove "2" and it will always be accurate :)

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_6</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: You may build maximum of 4 Great Wonders per city and 4 National Wonders per city. Plan ahead where you build your wonders.</English>

Is it accurate about NW?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_13</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Naval units from Industrial era start to require Steel resource. Build Steel Mills to produce Steel from Coal and Iron. If you don't have access to those resources, build Ironworks national wonder. It gives Steel without those other resources.</English>

Should be changed due to building changes.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_14</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Mod has been designed for big maps and for Marathon game speed.</English>

Is that still correct?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_19</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Encyclopedia project gives access to all techs that 3 other Civilizations have discovered. If you're falling behind in tech race, try to complete this project.</English>

Text should be updated.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_21</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Colonist builds city of size 3 with several buildings and Pioneer builds city of size 4 with many buildings.</English>

Accurate?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_25</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: You can change some mod settings in the Rise of Mankind Config.ini file.</English>

Accurate?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_29</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Mounted Infantry is the only mounted unit which does gain defensive bonuses. It's good unit for defense in conquered cities during war time if you want to keep your offensive units moving rapidly from city to city.</English>

Is/will it be the only?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_19</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: If you are overthrown and the citizens demand a new leader, it is not all bad. You will loose control of your empire for a time, but after this time you will have a new and interesting scenario to deal with.</English>

Does it work that way? Never experieced such.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_34</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: If you are faced with an empire with many different faiths, fear not! So long as you don't attempt to run a theocracy or organised religious state, the people may really respect you!</English>

Change "a theocracy or organised religious state" to "Intolerant or State church".

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_71</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: Really, in a diverse religious state, you wouldn't run organised religion, would you?</English>

Change "organised religion" to "Intolerant or State church".

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_73</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: Switching to a police state may be good at times of instability! How else can you keep the empire under your thumb?</English>

Change it?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_76</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: If you are sick of constant rebellious uprisings against you, don't forget [CTRL-SHIFT-L] and you can switch over to the rebels side!</English>

Does [CTRL-SHIFT-L] work?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_79</Tag>

<English>*DCM Hint*: Catapults cannot range bombard.</English>

Accurate?

What do you think?

And the following to be removed:
Spoiler :

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_INTERFACE_3</Tag>

<English>*BUG Hint*: [ALT + S] allows you to make Sticky Notes on tiles. Just click and type. Pressing [ALT + S] again, and then clicking on an existing note will remove it.</English>

Not working at the moment. Remove?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_11</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Early gunpowder units require now Sulphur resource.</English>

Remove.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_12</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Most gunpowder units require Ammunition resource. Make sure you don't forgot to build Weapon Factories.</English>

Remove.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_31</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: If you think there's still not enough content in this modpack, you could visit RoM Modmods subforum at Civfanatics.com site and install some extra modules from the several hundred modules that are available there.</English>

Remove.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_36</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: Without question, the management of holy city sites is one of the biggest challenges in Revolutions.</English>

I don't understand :( Why is that a big chalange??
Remove?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_37</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: Under Revolutions you can hold firm more than one holy city in your empire. Two holy cities is fine, the challenge accumulates as the number of holy sites increase!</English>

Similar to the above. Remove?

There are some more hints in the BTS folder I guess, but I did not bring those files with me to my workplace :) Will check for tomorrow...

Also, new hints may be proposed. Or at least one:

Spoiler :
ATTENTION: PLEASE UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS VERSION OF "RISE OF MANKIND" OR "A NEW DAWN" BEFORE INSTALLING THE LATEST ONE.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Deleting "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder inside "Mod" folder and clearing your cache should be enough. If you get errors, try deleting CivilizationIV.ini in your Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword folder, it should recreate itself when you launch the game again. Just make sure you make a backup copy before deleting this file.[NEWLINE] Also don't forget to clear your cashe. It should be enough to keep Shift key pressed while you load the game.

:D

The part about controlling more than one Holy City is probably still relevant when playing with Revolutions, especially if you're not running Secular or (I assume) Folklore. The reason being that you citizens will start to get testy about "your state sponsorship of ______ and want to [change civics or declare independence] so they can freely worship THEIR one true faith" which comes up quite often if you're controlling multiple religions. The "one true faith" being something different than the one you're running at the time. i.e. Buddhism if you're running Taoism and (I assume) you control both. I haven't seen this one in a while, mostly because I only end up founding one or if I'm lucky two, but when I had four or five? Yeah, it started causing troubles.

Four or five, eh? I only managed two the last time and didn't get any complaints from citizens. I ended up testing Intolerant civic to purge that other religion anyway, lol.

This was a dozen or two revisions ago though. I'd have more than one religion, generally when I had two holy cities under my control, and my border cities would go nuts about "zomg why won't you let us worship _____!?" and then start revolting.

Now? Well, I can sorta see why Sogroon is confused about those tips. Seems the Revolutions are a lot more docile when dealing with owning multiple religions. Not sure why, but I haven't seen that "Your state sponsership of this or that is making us upset!" Revolution messages in ages.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13086234 said:
I will remove hints 11, 12 and 31 but leave the rest. I still want to fix that "signs" problem.
I'll have a look at other ones Thank you.

If you want, I can do those changes for you, and send the files.

So I did the followings:

Removed:

TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_11
TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_12

Changed:
Spoiler :

TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_31

Instead of removing it all, I changed the text to the following:

ATTENTION: PLEASE UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS VERSION OF "RISE OF MANKIND" OR "A NEW DAWN" BEFORE INSTALLING THE LATEST ONE.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Deleting "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder inside "Mod" folder and clearing your cache should be enough. If you get errors, try deleting CivilizationIV.ini in your Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword folder, it should recreate itself when you launch the game again. Just make sure you make a backup copy before deleting this file.[NEWLINE] Also don't forget to clear your cashe. It should be enough to keep Shift key pressed while you load the game.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUG_HINT_17</Tag>

<English>*BUG Hint*: Watch your neighbors' civics changes. A change from Free Religion to Theocracy could mean an arms build-up.</English>

Changed "Free Religion to Theocracy" text to "Free Church to Intolerant "

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_3</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Civics have 2 new categories and new options have been added to original categories. All civics have been changed with new effects.</English>

Removed "2" and it will always be accurate

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_34</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: If you are faced with an empire with many different faiths, fear not! So long as you don't attempt to run a theocracy or organised religious state, the people may really respect you!</English>

Changed "a theocracy or organised religious state" to "Intolerant or State church".

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_71</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: Really, in a diverse religious state, you wouldn't run organised religion, would you?</English>

Changed "organised religion" to "Intolerant or State church".

Adn I still have questions about the following ones:

Spoiler :

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_6</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: You may build maximum of 4 Great Wonders per city and 4 National Wonders per city. Plan ahead where you build your wonders.</English>

Is it accurate about NW?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_13</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Naval units from Industrial era start to require Steel resource. Build Steel Mills to produce Steel from Coal and Iron. If you don't have access to those resources, build Ironworks national wonder. It gives Steel without those other resources.</English>

Should be changed due to building changes.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_19</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Encyclopedia project gives access to all techs that 3 other Civilizations have discovered. If you're falling behind in tech race, try to complete this project.</English>

Text should be updated?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_29</Tag>

<English>Rise of Mankind: Mounted Infantry is the only mounted unit which does gain defensive bonuses. It's good unit for defense in conquered cities during war time if you want to keep your offensive units moving rapidly from city to city.</English>

Will it need change with Vokaryas new unit line?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_19</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: If you are overthrown and the citizens demand a new leader, it is not all bad. You will loose control of your empire for a time, but after this time you will have a new and interesting scenario to deal with.</English>

Does it work that way? Never experieced such.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_73</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: Switching to a police state may be good at times of instability! How else can you keep the empire under your thumb?</English>

Change it?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_76</Tag>

<English>*Revolutions Mod Hint*: If you are sick of constant rebellious uprisings against you, don't forget [CTRL-SHIFT-L] and you can switch over to the rebels side!</English>

Does [CTRL-SHIFT-L] work?

So here it is: View attachment Hints.rar

As you said I commented out the following:

TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_11
TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_12
(In both files)

TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_13
Due to Steel-mill/Ironworks

TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_19
Encyclopedia grants :science: not free techs AFAIK.

TXT_KEY_ROM_HINT_29
May become inaccurete with Vokarya's new mobile deffense-line.

TXT_KEY_REVDCM_HINT_76
CRTL+SHIFT+L does not work.

Top Bottom