Political Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.
you'll never know what... I've got another freakin' political cartoon

Attachments

• content.todayscartoons.uclick10.gif
    content.todayscartoons.uclick10.gif
    48 KB · Views: 483
Carter's unemployment rate beat Reagan? In what universe?

You didn't read the cartoon, did you?

Give it another go.

EDIT:

If I remember correctly, at their best, Carter (1976-1980) and Reagan (in his first term, I don't know about his second) had unemployment rates of 6% (in 1978 and 1984, respectively). At his worst, Carter had 8% (in 1976 and 1980) and Reagan had 11% (in 1982).

That means that (as a rough estimate), the proportion of US citizens that were unemployed under Reagan was larger (not by much, but still) than the proportion under Carter.

But the GDP went up and inflation seems to have gone down under Reagan.

But that wasn't the point of the cartoon. Rather it was ... ah forget it.

Regarding the cartoon at the top of the page (#561), remember this one? >>>

'The Big Thing'

On March 30, 1867, the Treaty to buy Alaska from Russia for $7 million was signed. Thomas Nast showed Secretary of State William H. Seward, who was responsible for negotiating the treaty, rubbing some Russian salve on President Johnson’s sore spot on his head as Johnson looks in the mirror and sees himself as "King Andy." Johnson is shown as upset and off-balance, primarily from the passage of the Military Reconstruction Act and a new law allowing Negroes to vote in Georgetown. At the time, the purchase of Alaska was considered to be "Seward’s folly" by many Americans.

What goes around comes around :rolleyes:

The only way to win is not to play.
From left to right--Louis Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, Cynthia McKinney, Jesse Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom