Free 3D Programs

Snorken

Emperor
Are there any free 3D programs besides POV-Ray and Blender?

Ok, thanks. School ends in one week, so I'll have plenty of time to try both Blender and OpenFX.

ppmodeller is what I used to build my models. I haven't published any yet, but it's a good little program. Much better than OpenFX at building the models themselves. It also imports just about any model type: Poser, 3DS, and DXF (I think also Lightwave, I would have to check on it though) among others. I have not experimented at all with rendering in it (I export it to OpenFX to animate and render).

Here's preview of a ppmodeller model, animated in OpenFX:

Ok, I'll take a look at that one, too.

I've seen ppmodeller before.... that guy has to be luny and dedicated to continue with that project... I can't believe he has been doing it all himself.

Well, I see the wide array of these free programs, but are any of them easily understood? Ppmodeler needs camera angles, numbers, etc., too complicated at the moment. I have been trying to figure out OpenFX for a year, but that tutorial is worthless, at least on my version. I haven't tried Blender yet, but I hope that's easier. But will someone please tell me, are these the easiest programs? If they are, obviously 3D modeling and unit making aren't for me, but I'm just wondering if it's just my stupidity, or do I share this pain with others?

Blender probably has the most confusing interface, at first. After you get used to it, it becomes really easy to use.

www.povray.org :)
It's completely different from the others because it's all text- no point-and-click modelling. If you're familiar with programming at all or good at math, it's fairly easy to learn. The hardest part is not being able to actually see what you're doing until you render. (I wish somebody could make some kind of preview window extension- I don't know how many times I've rendered something only to find that a piece is in the wrong place :( ) aaglo makes all his units in POV-Ray.

odintheking said:
I have been trying to figure out OpenFX for a year, but that tutorial is worthless, at least on my version

There's a good thread here. Began by TheMorpheus but with 32 pages of OpenFX users asking questions and helping each other out. Well worth browsing through.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=84833&page=1&pp=20

I also did a simple tutorial about inserting skeletons into models and basic animating.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=94071

I just found out there's a free version of Maya.

There is also a free (full) version of Truespace 3.2 (older version). If you look at the meshes that Wyrmshadow has made, you can see if it must be pretty good.
go to cnet.com and you can DL it. You then register it, and caligari emails you your serial number to complete the registration.

Where is the free version of Maya? Is it a limited function or limited time version? Or is it like Truespace, a completely free but older version?

Top Bottom