civ unique resources doesn't work?

CornPlanter

Emperor
I made dummy techs for certain civs or civ groups and several resources which are revealed by those dummy techs. That means each civ has it's unique resource which in turn is used as a prerequisite for unique buildings, etc. There is only one instance of each unique resource, placed right under the capital city.

In practice this works well... most of the time. But sometimes it goes really weird. E.g. I am able to see strategic resource "zulu" in my cities strategic resource boxes. But I play for Iroquois. It's not only that I have no tech "Zulu" which reveals resource "Zulu" - there is not a single instance of that resource in my continent. There is only one zulu resource on the whole map, directly under the Zimbabwe.

Next time it was even more confusing. I estabilished an embassy in Rome which is obviously the capital of Romans and not at all the capital of Arabians. And what I noticed was that Romans were building Kaaba: wonder which requires resource "arabians", which in turn requires dummy tech "arabians". Ofcourse only arabians have that dummy tech. There were no arabians in that game. Moreover, at the moment arabian starting location was occupied by Egypt, so it's not the case that romans somehow managed to reveal ancient arabian secret of resource "arabians" :crazyeye: they had no tech to see resource and even if they had, they had no connection to the resource.

And sometimes I can see a resource I'm not supposed to see only for a few turns. Then it disappears as mysteriously as it appeared.

P.S. No, I don't smoke anything while playing, nor before playing :D

So far I don't know the system when exactly it works and when it doesn't. Anyone?

So it has nothing to do with their dummy techs etc? Thanks a lot! :)

P.S. looks like we have one more way to have strategic/luxury resources in the water, now with icons appearing in the city boxes they belong to :)

You may be able to get around this problem by using multiple unique resource requiremtents.

E.g.
Have one unique resource per culture group (5 resources)
Have resources civilzation unique resources say #1-8 (8 resources)

Place the culture resources and one civilzation resources under/near each capital city.

Give the first civ in each culture access to resource 1, the second access to resource 2, etc.

Then make unique wonders/buildings require a combination of a culture resource and a civ resource.
E.g. If the Arabs are the third Middle Eastern civ, then the Kabaa would requre Middle East resource and #3 resource.

This system would only take about 13/14 resource slots (minimum 12) leaving the other 18 or so non-bonus resource slots for the standard 16 resources and two or so extras.

Thank you SWalker, probably I will use this idea. Now I already rearranged resources in a way 32 strat/lux - 32 bonus/dummy - 32 strat/lux - 32 bonus/dummy bunus. The only problem is, when you rearrange them, you have a mess at the Terrain screen. If I had 1. Fish 2. Gold and switch them the other way around, now I have gold allowed in the coast squeres and fish allowed on the hills. Meaning that all the gold has disappeared from the hills and all the fish has disappeared from the coasts. Considering that I had very huge earth map with manualy placed resources, now I have some work to do to put most them back.... :cry:

Thank you SWalker, probably I will use this idea. Now I already rearranged resources in a way 32 strat/lux - 32 bonus/dummy - 32 strat/lux - 32 bonus/dummy bunus. The only problem is, when you rearrange them, you have a mess at the Terrain screen. If I had 1. Fish 2. Gold and switch them the other way around, now I have gold allowed in the coast squeres and fish allowed on the hills. Meaning that all the gold has disappeared from the hills and all the fish has disappeared from the coasts. Considering that I had very huge earth map with manualy placed resources, now I have some work to do to put most them back.... :cry:
I believe that the Civ 3 multi tool is able to change the order of resources without causing this mess on the map. Though I haven't used this particular feature myself.

I do sympathise though, I had to change several resources around when I encountered the bug, and on a huge map it can take an age to put everything right. Good luck man. :)

I believe that the Civ 3 multi tool is able to change the order of resources without causing this mess on the map. Though I haven't used this particular feature myself.

I believe it's not the MultiTool's fault, it's the way .biq works :mad: Say, you want gold on the hills so you go to terrain screen, choose Hills, highlight Gold. Now when you highlight gold, program remembers it like "13th resource". Imagine what happens when you make Gold 17th and Whales 13th. It's only my guess but empyrical data supports it so far :(

Very similar thing is with units. Have you ever tried unit producing buildings? Lets say you have 15th unit Cavalry, 16th Artillery and 17 Spearman. Improvement "Nice Factory" produces Artilleries every 5 turn. Now you delete Cavalry and Artillery becomes 15th unit, Spearman - 16th. Nice Factory now produces Spearmen :) This is for sure, I tested many times.

Good luck man.
Thanks ;)

Very similar thing is with units. Have you ever tried unit producing buildings? Lets say you have 15th unit Cavalry, 16th Artillery and 17 Spearman. Improvement "Nice Factory" produces Artilleries every 5 turn. Now you delete Cavalry and Artillery becomes 15th unit, Spearman - 16th. Nice Factory now produces Spearmen :) This is for sure, I tested many times.

MultiTool fixes that. If you move units around with the MT, unit producing wonders will adjust accordingly. It's only the deleting in the editor that messes it up. If you want to delete an unit, move it to the top with MT, then delete it safely.

Just don't move around buildings in C3MT, it's bugged (well, you can, but some building settings will be lost).

Top Bottom