I Guess We Didn't Lose the Supermajority

The only thing they are willing to trade for is Gingrich getting a private line to Reed and doing everything they want, I'm sorry but that's just wrong and not how democracy is supposed to work

I guess this puts to rest the canard that the GOP blocks everything the Dems do, eh?

I have said several times already. If the dems will offer the GOP something worth voting for, some republicans will actually vote for it. Not all, but some will.

And although I dont know much about this jobs bill in particular, I do think creating more jobs to help the economy right now much more important than just about anything else we face at the moment aside from the wars.

I don't understand this whole "there is no bipartisainship in the health care debate" meme. As a matter of fact there is significant bipartisainship, Republicans and a significant number of Democratic legislators are against the current bill.

I have said several times already. If the dems will offer the GOP something worth voting for, some republicans will actually vote for it. Not all, but some will.

Wow, four Republicans will vote for a centrist bill supported by 70-something of the population after a ton of vote-whipping and then they'll get raked over the coals by their party. It's a new dawn for Bi-Partisanship. Now, what about that bill we've got in the Senate, looks eerily like the one Republicans suggested in 1994 as a more reasonable version of Clinton's proposal, except for the parts where the current one is more conservative...

It's a new dawn for Bi-Partisanship.
It certainly is. :lol:

Shangri-la and Brigadoon and Bipartisan. Three mythical places. One of which few Republicans have seemingly ever heard. Because if there is one thing we can take from the first weeks of the "New" Washington, it's that the (liberal) Democrats are incompetent (old news, really) and the Republicans are disingenuous when it comes to bipartisanship. Oh, sure, they talk up the swellness of President Obama every chance they get. And will continue to do so as long as his approval numbers are above fifty percent. But most GOPers tend to become like children who dance hysterically in a sandbox when it comes time to play with others.

Despite all the sit-downs Obama had with the Republicans -- apparently too many for Speaker Pelosi's tastes -- and despite the fact that the House version of the Stimulus Bill contained specific tax breaks for which the Republicans had asked -- though not to the degree they wished -- not a single GOPer would break ranks, step up and vote for the bill. A surprisingly "my way or the highway" attitude for the minority party whose eight years of good cogitating was a major factor in whipping America into the stellar fiscal shape we find ourselves.

When three Republican Senators voted for the Senate version of the bill -- Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, and Maine Sens. Olympia J. Snowe and Susan M. Collins, who in particular worked tirelessly with moderate Dem Sen. Ben Nelson to try and reach a true bipartisan compromise -- they were immediately put on a "hit" list by the conservative National Republican Trust PAC. The PAC's executive director Scott Wheeler stated: "We just want to send a message that we're going to have a long institutional memory, and we're going to remind your constituents of what you did."

I guess this puts to rest the canard that the GOP blocks everything the Dems do, eh?

And although I dont know much about this jobs bill in particular, I do think creating more jobs to help the economy right now much more important than just about anything else we face at the moment aside from the wars.

Mobboss ..... So much for much for GOP fantasy of not blocking everything
Looks like 31 BILLION in tax cuts wasnt enough.

Heavens! Did you hear the one about Harry Reid scuttling bipartisanship? The Washington Post's Dana Milbank is besides himself!

The Senate then moved to validate Washington's concern by taking up the jobs bill. The measure had been rolling toward swift and easy passage -- a tally of 80 votes had been anticipated -- because of a bipartisan deal negotiated between the top Democrat and Republican on the Finance Committee.

Wow! 80 votes in today's Senate? We don't get that kind of tally except when naming post offices! And all of it scuttled because Harry Reid didn't want bipartisanship! It was horrible!

But of course, Milbank offers no supporting evidence for that laughable claim. There's nothing to suggest mass support for that bill was in the offing, and in fact, it appears that Reid decided to gut the pork-laden bill, with its estate-tax gift to the Waltons, after Senate Republicans refused to commit to it.

The Baucus bill, which was estimated at $85 billion, included $31 billion in tax extenders that Reid has decided to leave out. A Senate Democratic leadership aide said Reid decided to drop the tax extenders after Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) declined to endorse the Baucus package.

So where is Dana getting the 80-vote thing? Apparently, from the Senate GOP's press office.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/2/23/839930/-Fake-bipartisanship-in-Milbanks-fantasy-world

ABORTIONS ? stripped
PUBLIC OPTION ? stripped
CUT COST MEDICARE ? stripped
NEW TAX for INSURANCE companies ? stripped
DEATH PANEL ? teabagged

Now that Dems no longer have super majority who knows what they will conceed to the Republicans ?
None of this was ceded to the Republicans, all of the above is DEMOCRATS duelling with EACH OTHER. All of the above happened while the Democrats had the supermajority and before Brown was elected, during which period the Republicans had no leverage at all and were completely ignored.

The thing you need to remember here is that the Democrats are not a monolith. There are different factions of Democrats. Some favoring abortion, some opposed to it. Some favoring the public option, others against it. Plus some ultra-leftist Democrats who said the above doesn't go far enough--they happen to be the ones who actually killed off health care.

Top Bottom