SL Wiki Upload List

For the record, I've blocked new wiki user registrations for usernames that end with a number. For example:
AgrethaKeister304
MathewsonEady910

The current spambot wave is registering usernames of that form and spamming the userpages for them.

Great. You've got a wave of seven today [Edit: make that ten]. Looked through some of the stat pages. Any idea who this Monau character is? He/she/it created a new page called Wiki Guidance which contains the text, 'Wiki article submission guide' and nought else.

Not sure. Might be a spammer, actually, since recently we had some spam promoting wiki spam software under similar headings.

I'm going to ban and see if anyone complains. Feel free to unban.

I noticed that the scenario category pages for versions CiC, FW and MGE have the following text at the top: 'This page has been deleted. The deletion and move log for the page are provided below for reference...'

Ah, that's an odd intersection of how deleted pages behave and how category pages behave. I've added a very brief sentence at the top to make the message go away.

Due to continued influx of spammers, I have now also blocked usernames of the form JohnSmith. To unblock, please remove the relevant rule from the Title Blacklist.

Here's the rule:
Code:
# Block usernames similar to JohnSmith
User:[A-Z][a-z]+[A-Z][a-z]+

This is nuts. I recently dropped in on the SL wiki and observed a marked increase in the volume of spammers. St Leo is dealing with waves of new accounts and their vandalism on a daily basis. Perhaps it's time for a change of procedure, ie, banning all registrations to the SL site directly. If someone wishes to sign up, they do so in this thread, and hopefully, one of the administrators will be on hand to temporarily open the door. Opinions?

Sounds like a good plan. As far as I'm aware the Wiki is only for members of this site anyway, so I can't see any problems directing anyone who wants to contribute to this forum to become a made man :)

EDIT: And thanks to St. Leo for keeping watch over our SL!

This is nuts. I recently dropped in on the SL wiki and observed a marked increase in the volume of spammers. St Leo is dealing with waves of new accounts and their vandalism on a daily basis. Perhaps it's time for a change of procedure, ie, banning all registrations to the SL site directly. If someone wishes to sign up, they do so in this thread, and hopefully, one of the administrators will be on hand to temporarily open the door. Opinions?

I'm all for a change in procedures. I've actually created a bunch of browser userscripts to automate the banning process for me, as it's pretty cumbersome when done by hand.

Mediawiki should have an option somewhere (LocalSettings.php?) to block singups. Mods would then create new accounts via the signup from in MediaWiki's special pages.

If not that, I would highly recommend adding additional anti-spam extensions. For example, I think there's a standard extension that blocks edits that link to external sites.

I'm having a bit of trouble catching up with the spammer backlog, so I've temporarily banned new user registration in a very hacky way:
Code:
# Block all user registration
User:.*

Feel free to remove it in a week or so. I think this will have the double benefit of:
- Reducing growth in the backlog of stuff I need to delete/ban
- Eliminating us as a target for a while, so hopefully some spammers will remove us from their to-spam list

Great job you've been doing, St Leo. You've got far more patience than I have.
I'm having a bit of trouble catching up with the spammer backlog, so I've temporarily banned new user registration in a very hacky way:
Code:
# Block all user registration
User:.*

Feel free to remove it in a week or so.
I'd suggest keeping it in place. It's not like we have throngs of modders clamouring to sign up right now. BTW, I'm not an administrator on the SL wiki, so that'll be up to you or McMonkey. Harry Tuttle offered to make me a bureaucrat/administrator earlier in the thread, but I didn't think it was necessary at the time. If you want an occasional extra hand, feel free to change that.

Looks like the last of Apolyton's hosted sites is history. The Spanish Civilization Site is down. The most recent posts in Apolyton's Civ1/2 forum were made by a spambot registered with the site for nearly 3 weeks. The site appears to be falling into disrepair. It's a shame, the SCS was a great repository for old scenarios. Fortunately I made a back-up of the SCS before the SL site moved to CFC, so I'll see about adding some of its scenarios to the SL wiki.

Which reminds me, I was looking for Pablostuka's Marruecos scenario the other day. The Spanish site is down, but I was able to find a copy of 1.3 so I uploaded it to the wiki some days ago.

Yeah, v2.0 is was on the SCS. I have it, including the sounds. I'll see about uploading it to the wiki in the next couple of days.

[Edit: Uploaded Marruecos v2.0. Updated the Atomic scenarios table, in alphabetical order *cough*.

Removed links to unfinished, dead projects. The SL scenario category pages aren't really the places to be adding your potential scenario projects. Please use the forum.]

In the last two weeks I've added 76 scenario pages to the wiki, mostly from the dead Spanish site. However, I'm missing some files. Can anyone help out?

Full Scenarios:
  • World War One by St Leo
  • Colonialism 1650 by Jamestout
  • The Italian Wars by Exile
  • de Historibus Europae 1520-1721 (I have it, but many of the files are corrupt, including all of the graphics.)
Files:
The 30 Years' War MGE: What is it? Is it a graphics mod? Does it require a page separate from the original scenario? Does anyone have it?

In the last two weeks I've added 76 scenario pages to the wiki, mostly from the dead Spanish site. However, I'm missing some files. Can anyone help out?

Full Scenarios:
  • World War One by St Leo
  • Colonialism 1650 by Jamestout
  • The Italian Wars by Exile
  • De historibus Europae 1520-1721 (I have it, but many of the files are corrupt, including all of the graphics.)

• Here's three of the scenarios (all but WW1)

Thanks, mate. You can delete the attachments if you wish to clear your uploads. They're on the wiki.

Is the Colonialism ZIP from the old SL site? The reason I ask is that I have the version from this thread (yours is the same), and I thought there may have been a later version. Maybe not.

Top Bottom