[Religion and Revolution]: Starting Screen

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

We know some modders that might be willing to create a cool Starting Screen for Religion and Revolution. :)

Currently however these modders are really busy.
So maybe one of you would like to give it a try. ;)

Also if you simply have a cool Image for a Starting Screen that is not under copyright, you are very welcome to post it here.

We are very curious to see your ideas ...

Thanks a lot in advance. :goodjob:

So ok, in another Thread I found Background-Images, which we might use for our Starting Screen.

Since I am not good at creating graphics, I would use an existing background to create or ask somebody to create a starting screen.
(By adding Title "Religion and Revolution" in some cool Font-Style.)

Had to attach as 7z, because the files were too big.

@Robert:
Do you like one of these ?
Could we use one for the 1. Version of our Starting Screen.
(Eventually creating a better one later on ...)

Since I am not good at creating graphics, I would use an existing background to create or ask somebody to create a starting screen.
(By adding Title "Religion and Revolution" in some cool Font-Style.)
Hi ray, I have taken one of these screens and created a starting screen. It's only a provisional solution! But I believe that you and Robert will get some motivation by seeing your own screen when you will start your mod. :)

Attachments

• Main Menu.7z
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
Hi Ray, I like the images. However, the colors are a little dull. Could we brighten them a little ?

Thank you Writing Bull ! Maybe I should check your starting screen first (I mean before we change anything)...;)

the colors are a little dull. Could we brighten them a little ?
That's no problem. This starting screen which I have uploaded yesterday contains two files. They can be changed separately. One file contains the picture, the other one the letters.

Hi ray, I have taken one of these screens and created a starting screen. It's only a provisional solution!

Thanks W.B. ! :goodjob:

But I believe that you and Robert will get some motivation by seeing your own screen when you will start your mod. :)

Don't worry, we are having fun and thus we are motivated. :)

I like the images. However, the colors are a little dull. Could we brighten them a little ?

Problem is, that I am really bad at graphical work ...
(I can do only basic changes in 2D-Graphics.)

I simply wanted to have a 1. Version of a Starting Screen at all, to be prepared when we have our first release after TAC 2.03. :)

Hi guys,

I have been experimenting a little bit and tried to create a Starting Screen for Religion and Revolution. :)

Atmosphere is a litte dark, but that is on purpose.
I also tried to create some new design, which should be different, simple but still somehow elegant.

Upper part symbols "Religion", the lower one "Revolution".

That is how it looks like ingame.
(Please ignore the "TAC 2.02a inofficial" on the right. That is simply because my Previews are built on that ...)
Spoiler :

Attachments

• V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 588
So ok, I reworked the screen. :)

1. I readjusted sizes so that Part "Religion" and Part "Revolution" are the same.
2. I slightly changed some colors.
3. In the right corner of bottom bar it is stated very decently "Based on TAC".

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 560
Hi guys at the risk of butting in here, I suggest the following:

Instead of using the horizontal line use a close up image of a Kentucky Long rifle as the divider running pretty much width of page.
For example:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=338552
These guns are quite attractive and are symbols of both the settlement/survival/hunting/native management and WOI stages of the game. Also suggest using a sloping divide (with left lower, right higher) to make the overall graphic a bit more dynamic - and the rifle shape fits with this.

The title Religion and Revolution speaks for itself and can be put anywhere, the individual parts of the graphic don't need to be captioned specifically.

Change in layout might mean the upper image is refocused a bit. The church made a bit bigger and centred more to the left (losing a bit of right landscape) which should look good. Perhaps you could also try a reverse / mirror image transfer so the church is actually on the left side of the image and the landscape to the centre.

The lower image is a bit more of an issue - I really like the fires (currently on the left side) and the murky flag (currently on the right). However, in terms of overall dual image these might look better if they were also reversed.

Hi guys at the risk of butting in here, I suggest the following:

Instead of using the horizontal line use a close up image of a Kentucky Long rifle as the divider running pretty much width of page.
For example:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=338552
These guns are quite attractive and are symbols of both the settlement/survival/hunting/native management and WOI stages of the game. Also suggest using a sloping divide (with left lower, right higher) to make the overall graphic a bit more dynamic - and the rifle shape fits with this.

The title Religion and Revolution speaks for itself and can be put anywhere, the individual parts of the graphic don't need to be captioned specifically.

Change in layout might mean the upper image is refocused a bit. The church made a bit bigger and centred more to the left (losing a bit of right landscape) which should look good. Perhaps you could also try a reverse / mirror image transfer so the church is actually on the left side of the image and the landscape to the centre.

The lower image is a bit more of an issue - I really like the fires (currently on the left side) and the murky flag (currently on the right). However, in terms of overall dual image these might look better if they were also reversed.

Sorry, but I cannot do any of your suggestions ...
Considering graphics, my skills are very very low.
Simple manipulations (colors, sizing, some effects, ...) and that is it.

That really is pretty much the best I can do as a Screen. :dunno:
I am a programmer (DLL, Python, XML) with basic knowledge in all other areas of CivCol, not a graphical modder.

I have asked some graphical modders to help us, but so far ...

If anybody would want to create a better screen for us, then I would be really happy to see the suggestions here. :)

If a graphical modder (2D and 3D) would join this team, I would virtually kiss his feet. :lol:

I really tried to create something here, sorry if you don't like it. :(

Sorry, but I cannot do any of your suggestions ...
Considering graphics, my skills are very very low.
Simple manipulations (colors, sizing, some effects, ...) and that is it.

That really is pretty much the best I can do as a Screen. :dunno:
I am a programmer (DLL, Python, XML) with basic knowledge in all other areas of CivCol, not a graphical modder.

I have asked some graphical modders to help us, but so far ...

If anybody would want to create a better screen for us, then I would be really happy to see the suggestions here. :)

If a graphical modder (2D and 3D) would join this team, I would virtually kiss his feet. :lol:

I really tried to create something here, sorry if you don't like it. :(

OK .... Perhaps I misunderstood the issues here or perhaps I might be able to help.

If the graphics files are somehow specific to this game and require some modding expertise, then my suggestions might have been over the top.

However, if the Col screen graphics files are just normal image files such as jpegs/gifs/bmps (or can be created from just normal image files) then perhaps I can help.

I should be able to create a basic collage in photoshop and then send it back to you as a single image in whatever size you want. If this is something you are interested in (and you were interested in my suggestions) post your original images somewhere I can get them (for some reason I couldn't open the images in the 7z files above).

If the graphics files are somehow specific to this game and require some modding expertise, then my suggestions might have been over the top.

Not really that specific.
They are nif and dds files in the end.

However, if the Col screen graphics files are just normal image files such as jpegs/gifs/bmps (or can be created from just normal image files) then perhaps I can help.

Yes, I could convert any jpegs and bmps to dds myself.

I should be able to create a basic collage in photoshop and then send it back to you as a single image in whatever size you want. If this is something you are interested in (and you were interested in my suggestions) post your original images somewhere I can get them (for some reason I couldn't open the images in the 7z files above).

Great, I would really like that. :)
I will send you a collection of jpeg.
You could then create your suggestion(s) of that screen also as jpeg. :thumbsup:

Later on, I will convert your version to dds and do some other adjustments needed.

Edit:
I just sent you a link with a small collection of images.

Ray,

I love the starting screens!:goodjob: True they are a little dark, but I think they capture the darker elements within the game. Afterall religious turmoil and revolutions are not nice and fluffy concepts. The screens get my vote.

I agree with Colonialfan! "Religion" in the 15th and 16th century is more about... Religious wars.
So everything seems to be about war (religious wars and war of independence!)

And thank you agaro for your help. I like the rifle idea!

So ok, I think we would have a Starting Screen we could use.

But let us see, what agaro presents.
His screen will probably be a lot better than mine. :)

So ok, I reworked the screen. :)

1. I readjusted sizes so that Part "Religion" and Part "Revolution" are the same.
2. I slightly changed some colors.
3. In the right corner of bottom bar it is stated very decently "Based on TAC".

Spoiler :

Hi Guys,

I should have something in a week or so.

But first please confirm some things for me:
- What final file size do you want to handle (how many KBs, MBs?)
- It is best to start off with the correct horizontal to vertical image ratio. I presume the image in this post is the right proportions ... let me know if not.
- I presume the game will add the menu and the exit bar in those precise locations over the top of the background image ... let me know if not.

I think I have found some better photos for the revolution battle section at the bottom. These come from a US WOI re-enactment club website. I emailed them and they are OK for us to use their images; they only require an acknowledgement in the credit page (+ a copy of the final collage). I presume this is OK ... again let me know if not.

- What final file size do you want to handle (how many KBs, MBs?)

Does not really matter.
However, I personally would prefer to have a background that is not too extremely detailled and realistic.
(I personally prefer a style that looks a little like a painted picure. I do not like photography style in a game.)

- It is best to start off with the correct horizontal to vertical image ratio.
I presume the image in this post is the right proportions ... let me know if not.

Not important, that depends on the local settings you have for your display screen.
Otherwise I can correct myself.

But you could go with these proportions as a start.
We will have to check how it looks ingame anyways.

- I presume the game will add the menu and the exit bar in those precise locations over the top of the background image ... let me know if not.

Yes, these things will be put above the background image.
But again, I can do corrections here, if needed.

I think I have found some better photos for the revolution battle section at the bottom. These come from a US WOI re-enactment club website. I emailed them and they are OK for us to use their images; they only require an acknowledgement in the credit page (+ a copy of the final collage). I presume this is OK ... again let me know if not.

Feel free to do what ever you want. :)
Credits is no problem.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Hi everybody!

I'm back from my trip and found a lot of new themes. First of all, it's great news that you continue modding! Good luck!

I personally would prefer to have a background that is not too extremely detailled and realistic.
(I personally prefer a style that looks a little like a painted picture. I do not like photography style in a game.)

I have to read a lot of, but as I see you are looking a starting screen for your mod "Religion and Revolution". Here one of draft variants. Please, see attached archive. Background image is shown here:

I tested this background in one of my mods, see the attached image.

Credits is no problem.

Great! All credits, please, to Jan van Eyck for his "The Ghent Altarpiece" or "Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" (completed 1432) and to Eugène Delacroix for his "Liberty Leading the People" (1830).

Top Bottom