AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

Yeah looks like it should. Does cause confusion.

JosEPh

Repeatable CTD at EoT. Can't get past it.

@45*38'N,
Can you read MiniDump.dmp files for the SVN? If so I can include it. In fact I'll include it anyway. Also included the autolog file from the AND directory.

JosEPh

Repeatable CTD at EoT. Can't get past it.

@45*38'N,
Can you read MiniDump.dmp files for the SVN? If so I can include it. In fact I'll include it anyway. Also included the autolog file from the AND directory.

JosEPh

I'll have a look as soon as I finish working on rebalancing after I've reduced train and building times, hopefully this weekend.

Am I piling too much on? You have access to the PDB and Debug part of the SVN right?

JosEPh

2nd test game that has come to a repeating CTD that I can't get around yet.

Is this happening to a lot of players too?

If it is we need Help! Because quite frankly if I can't get this figured out all the other things we are doing will be moot. CTDs get to get fixed somehow and sooner rather than later. Even if we have to bring in outside help.

Not a good situation for us to be in. :(

JosEPh

Edit: Looked at Python Error log and last entry was for the English city of Oxford. English Axeman destroyed, City razed, City acquired.

So I went into WB and found Oxford. It was defended by a single Axe. There were 3 Barb axe in the forest tile next to the city. Erased 3 barb axemen and forest on tile. Left WB returned to game. Hit EoT button and game resumed no CTD. There is a problem with the Barbs. If I go back in, add the 3 barb axe and forest, then exit WB I can also continue. As the 3 Barbs do not attack Oxford city because they have no promotions and BarbAI moves them away from Oxford.

Next I will retest the previous game that I had CTD and placed the Save game in my prior posting.

Maybe be a problem in Barb World as I believe I had it on for both games.

Edit2: Same problem in previous game. Barb World On, when Barbs raze a Player or AI city, especially a recently built city a CTD can occur. Looking into Python Log on both, last entry was Razed Event: (city name). Example from game from save posted:

PY:City Acquired Event: Duisburg
PY:City Razed Event: Duisburg

So somewhere in the python coding for Barb World in City Razed Event there is an error. In this case I did not have to remove the barb units as with the Oxford city razed event. Just looking at it in WB was enough to let me proceed with the game.

All I can think of at the moment is that once the Barb AI makes the decision to attack a new city that is poorly defended in the process of taking the city and then razing the city a conflict occurs causing the CTD. Need a Python coder to look into the Barb World Module for PY:City Razed Event and see what is wrong.

So these CTDs are possible to get around.

2nd test game that has come to a repeating CTD that I can't get around yet.

Is this happening to a lot of players too?

If it is we need Help! Because quite frankly if I can't get this figured out all the other things we are doing will be moot. CTDs get to get fixed somehow and sooner rather than later. Even if we have to bring in outside help.

Not a good situation for us to be in. :(

JosEPh

Edit: Looked at Python Error log and last entry was for the English city of Oxford. English Axeman destroyed, City razed, City acquired.

So I went into WB and found Oxford. It was defended by a single Axe. There were 3 Barb axe in the forest tile next to the city. Erased 3 barb axemen and forest on tile. Left WB returned to game. Hit EoT button and game resumed no CTD. There is a problem with the Barbs. If I go back in, add the 3 barb axe and forest, then exit WB I can also continue. As the 3 Barbs do not attack Oxford city because they have no promotions and BarbAI moves them away from Oxford.

Next I will retest the previous game that I had CTD and placed the Save game in my prior posting.

Maybe be a problem in Barb World as I believe I had it on for both games.

Edit2: Same problem in previous game. Barb World On, when Barbs raze a Player or AI city, especially a recently built city a CTD can occur. Looking into Python Log on both, last entry was Razed Event: (city name). Example from game from save posted:

PY:City Acquired Event: Duisburg
PY:City Razed Event: Duisburg

So somewhere in the python coding for Barb World in City Razed Event there is an error. In this case I did not have to remove the barb units as with the Oxford city razed event. Just looking at it in WB was enough to let me proceed with the game.

All I can think of at the moment is that once the Barb AI makes the decision to attack a new city that is poorly defended in the process of taking the city and then razing the city a conflict occurs causing the CTD. Need a Python coder to look into the Barb World Module for PY:City Razed Event and see what is wrong.

So these CTDs are possible to get around.

I'll have a look at the python code although I'm not a big expert in python; right now I'm almost done with rebalancing the game again after speeding up building times for units and buildings. Changing those parameters completely throw off balance research as I expected. Now it should be ok and hopefully I will update to the next SVN version later this evening. Then I'll have a look at the python problem.

Edit: After some testing, I've seen that research is still off balance after I've accelerated building times for units and buildings. I need to do some more test before I release the next SVN version, but it will be very soon in any case. :)

Installjammer's log has lots of "File '[file location]' does not exist!", and it only creates a Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn 1.76 Beta 1.exe file in the output folder it creates anyway. What is AND 1.75 to AND 1.76 Upgrader Install Script even for, then? And what about Patch Install Script, not that it would work anyway with all the errors? Installjammer also always creates dupe files that have extensions (unlike the originals) when I open one of the (newly exported) install files. Should I be using these instead? http://www.installjammer.com/download is also a bad link, and you should instead link to a snapshot or to the snapshots folder to avoid people wasting their time and bandwidth downloading a numbered version when it's not remotely the easiest, most foolproof way of getting installjammer to work (I had no reason to suspect that a "snapshots" folder that could easily have been screenshots of the program, and which has far fewer downloads than the latest version's numbered link in the downloads section, was in fact the correct choice).

Basically, the instructions leave a lot to be desired for me, and "needing" (do I really??) triple the space (SVN, SVN Export, and finally an actual installation) is kind of ridiculous, too. I have no problem with C2C's SVN's, but your addition of the installjammer stuff just created lots of problems for me. Are you sure you're not making lots of file location assumptions that don't apply to my Windows 7, Program Files (x86), Steam administrator account installation? Because I'm not even trying to run it when the installjammer logs are full of those errors. Some of the missing file locations are even in the form of Users/[specific user name]/~, which means that it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone that doesn't happen to have a computer account matching that user's name to have the files in the right place. =\ I just wanted the C2C build list filtering in AND, but I guess it's not to be for now...

1st: We did not add Installjammer Afforess did.
2nd: Installjammer Is Not needed to install AND2.0
3rd: The AND2.0 SVN should not even have Installjammer in it. If it does I'll get with 45* and we will remove it.

JosEPh

Installer is not needed to use the latest SVN. The installer was Afforess' work and was abandoned after ver 1.76 I think. I won't remove it because it was Afforess work and it could become useful again in the future. Right now, you only have to download the SVN version, export it to a "working copy" folder and simply cut-paste the "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder inside your BTS mod folder. Nothing else.

After the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend is over here, I'm going to try to get Koshling to tell me what C2C Team did to fix the bug in Barb World with the py:Razes City event that causes the CTD when you use Barb World.

Getting late in your prt of the world isn't it 45*?

JosEPh

I'm playing with the latest build today (11-22-12)...When playing as the Chinese (regardless of leader), the in-game UI disappears...when you start a new game, the technology adviser immediately comes up with all of the technologies but none of them are connected to one another. Many are purple. After you click out of the technology adviser, you're left with no in-game UI.

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• UI Problem.jpg
    UI Problem.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 304
  • UI Problem 2.jpg
    UI Problem 2.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 299
1st: We did not add Installjammer Afforess did.
2nd: Installjammer Is Not needed to install AND2.0
3rd: The AND2.0 SVN should not even have Installjammer in it. If it does I'll get with 45* and we will remove it.

JosEPh
Well, this was misleading to me to say the least.

45°38'N-13°47'E;12014967 said:
Installer is not needed to use the latest SVN. The installer was Afforess' work and was abandoned after ver 1.76 I think. I won't remove it because it was Afforess work and it could become useful again in the future. Right now, you only have to download the SVN version, export it to a "working copy" folder and simply cut-paste the "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder inside your BTS mod folder. Nothing else.
Okay, I'll try it later. :)

I'm playing with the latest build today (11-22-12)...When playing as the Chinese (regardless of leader), the in-game UI disappears...when you start a new game, the technology adviser immediately comes up with all of the technologies but none of them are connected to one another. Many are purple. After you click out of the technology adviser, you're left with no in-game UI.

Here's a pic...

Sounds like an installation problem to me; have you tried unistalling and reinstalling the mod?

Well, this was misleading to me to say the least.

I don't think so; there's a warning written by me in the first two lines of the post, pointing at the right installation thread which explains exactly what I've written two posts above. And nowhere it's written to use any installer. :)

Here's a pic...

The solution to this given in Tech Support forum is to delete the contents of the "CustomAssets" folder (for me it's in "My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword"). Yes that seemed a bit drastic so I created a copy of the folder first, but anyway the solution worked and I have not yet needed (thus will probably never need) the backup copy. Apparently this folder is repopulated if empty when you restart the game... or something.

45°38'N-13°47'E;12016209 said:
I don't think so; there's a warning written by me in the first two lines of the post, pointing at the right installation thread which explains exactly what I've written two posts above. And nowhere it's written to use any installer. :)
You may not think so, but what you added at the top doesn't stand out above the rest (make it the largest font in the post, bold, underlined, and bright red and it will), quite unlike various other parts which do, and is also nowhere near the SVN stuff near the bottom, which is its own section. I naturally ignored non-SVN stuff and didn't waste my life on what is usually a fruitless "hope" to find edits pointing to other unstickied threads ("Most stable version to play?" also doesn't suggest SVN in the least, making it hard to find on its own; I recommend having an actual stickied SVN thread as the C2C forum does). So yes, I just went through the steps which were right there in a totally different area from what you just mentioned rather than looking in an entirely different part of my browser (the post is so big that it doesn't even quite fit into one screen, and I had no reason to assume that a critical part of the SVN stuff would be above the beta stuff, while the rest of the SVN stuff was not).

Basically I'm just saying that your formatting was not helpful at all. I know anyone can blame others for not devoting themselves 100% so as to avoid such mistakes, but in a world of finite resources it's not practical to assume that the formatting in that post or the completely random, all over the place "download version whatever" posts/threads (usually unstickied for greater ill effect) will help people the most. So it's just a suggestion from me that you "fix" this set of issues (formatting and no {clear+stickied} thread; a sixth post in some buried thread with a title that also doesn't imply SVN is pretty inefficient by comparison), and please don't take it as a judgement against you; it's just advice based on my knowledge of why I missed your line there combined with a knowledge of human behavior and experience from creating several hundred threads on other sites in the past.

If you really want people to follow your instructions you have to provide no-brainer places to find the right stuff and (especially when a post gets long) make the important parts truly stand out (alongside placing them in the proper section, rather than splitting it into two parts like that). You don't have to take any of my advice, but in the end the fact that not making it easy on others will not help them want to get into or keep up with this mod, as things are confusing or alternatively "too much effort" (no matter what you think the amount of acceptable effort will be defined by the readers, not you). As you're on the more controllable side of things, being one who is of the few imparting information to others, superior organization on your part will cause fewer acts of confusion and losses of time. On the contrary as a "player" it's rare for "my kind" to even write anything at all, much less a post this long, to explain issues, and there's bound to be high variation among players, to where there's no point in rejecting each individual's plight piecemeal (if you want them to try and enjoy your mod, of course) rather than circumventing such things on the end you control.

By the way, I don't know why you think "nowhere it's written to use any installer" when it is in fact in the post ("16. Run the installer!"). Perhaps you missed the spoilered stuff. If you did I can only see it as something which exemplifies my point.

Sorry for the long, boring post. ;p

Sorry for the long, boring post. ;p

No problem, you're right, I'll update installation instruction when I have time; I simply didn't want to remove information placed there by Afforess originally. I'll update the post. :)

Actually I was wrong in at least one critical way, namely that I wasn't looking at the right forum (so I can't know what my options really were in the first place). Also you were probably just pointing out how you had improved the installation process for the SVN, which of course I agree is an improvement (I'm playing with the SVN from that sixth post in my current game). I get "distracted" in terms of trying to find "useful meaning" (of course a subjective thing) in what others say, which naturally doesn't work out in many cases for various reasons. I was ready to have to defend the subjectivity of "misleadingness", but I'm glad it didn't come to that (so far). Please forgive me if I felt overbearing (I hoped that saying things like "no-brainer" and not denying that I missed what you said I missed would imply that I wasn't trying to claim that I "did my best" rather than just budgeting my time and effort as any tired, cynical human does); I'm used to "dealing" with trollitists (elitists who often troll as well) with whom I have to be very particular in what I say to, as they are mean to no meaningful end and attempt to twist anything their opponents say into a straw man argument. Not that I'm saying that I expect you or every last person online to act this way, but it has sadly happened to me a lot, so I prefer preempting such things rather than trying to fix the "damage" if it occurs. I'm glad you took my points under consideration even if they may not all have applied well to the current situation; they are still generally useful (if the situation is similar to "this" and things don't conform to them well) in my opinion. Thanks for taking things well. :)

Actually I was wrong in at least one critical way, namely that I wasn't looking at the right forum (so I can't know what my options really were in the first place). Also you were probably just pointing out how you had improved the installation process for the SVN, which of course I agree is an improvement (I'm playing with the SVN from that sixth post in my current game). I get "distracted" in terms of trying to find "useful meaning" (of course a subjective thing) in what others say, which naturally doesn't work out in many cases for various reasons. I was ready to have to defend the subjectivity of "misleadingness", but I'm glad it didn't come to that (so far). Please forgive me if I felt overbearing (I hoped that saying things like "no-brainer" and not denying that I missed what you said I missed would imply that I wasn't trying to claim that I "did my best" rather than just budgeting my time and effort as any tired, cynical human does); I'm used to "dealing" with trollitists (elitists who often troll as well) with whom I have to be very particular in what I say to, as they are mean to no meaningful end and attempt to twist anything their opponents say into a straw man argument. Not that I'm saying that I expect you or every last person online to act this way, but it has sadly happened to me a lot, so I prefer preempting such things rather than trying to fix the "damage" if it occurs. I'm glad you took my points under consideration even if they may not all have applied well to the current situation; they are still generally useful (if the situation is similar to "this" and things don't conform to them well) in my opinion. Thanks for taking things well. :)

I know what you mean :) Absolutely no problem and thank you for pointing out things to improve.

Top Bottom