AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

45°38'N-13°47'E;13185911 said:
Ok, TD is being displayed correctly now. I've done some test this morning and it works good enough, but I have to balance differently tech costs in different eras. I'll tune down a bit costs in classical era and cut it down substantially in Medieval Era and maybe Renaissance. One thing I've noticed is that civs that are falling back a lot (usually small civs), still lag behind of more than 1 era. I'd like to avoid that if possible: in my test there was a 4 city civ (against 10-15 cities civs) that was entering Medieval Era while I was halfway through Renaissance. But it could depend on tech cost, I'll let you know how it works when I change techs costs per era.

Try tweaking the XML constants. I'd lower the welfare threshold to 80 (from 90) and try increasing the modifier to 1000.

As I said it may need tuning.

Try tweaking the XML constants. I'd lower the welfare threshold to 80 (from 90) and try increasing the modifier to 1000.

As I said it may need tuning.

Ok, I think I need a couple of days to tune it but it will work. :)

... I think you're basically asking for tech diffusion to influence the tech research cost rather than the tech research output. That makes sense to me, and I do kinda agree with it. I think you can argue both ways are valid, BUT influencing the cost rather than the research output has the advantage of not inflating the output of your GDP, beakers, etc.

Actually, not quite. I'll try to explain via example.

You have never researched Feudalism, and you are currently researching something entirely unrelated. Another Civ with whom you have contact discovers Feudalism. Subsequently, each turn you receive a few beakers towards Feudalism (for free). Another Civ learns Feudalism: you get a few extra beakers per turn towards Feudalism. And so on...

Perhaps it would go up to 1 beaker short of discovery, like when you get technology from capturing cities (but I don't see why that should be).

In this way, a Civ which is very much behind would slowly develop understanding of all of the technologies which someone else already knows, rather than just being able to research one tech' at a time at a high rate.

To me, such a mechanism would feel much more natural than getting 1000 beakers when I research technology A (which everyone else knows), but then only 100 when I switch to tech' B, which no-one else knows yet.

Also, the GDP statistic wouldn't be artificially inflated with this mechanism, as long as the free beakers weren't counted.

Would that be much more tricky? Just an idea...

A.

Regarding a crash-to-desktop I was having...
45°38'N-13°47'E;13183794 said:
Try a recalc with ctrl+shift+t and see if you can play on.
Thanks, but that didn't work. I tried going back a few turns, tried changing all of my productions, etc..., but nothing worked with rev 686. I reverted to rev 685, and was able to continue playing (as you also had observed), so I'll stick with that older rev' until the new one is sorted (yes, I lost a few of those new cavalry units, ah well).

Cheers, A.

Regarding a crash-to-desktop I was having...

Thanks, but that didn't work. I tried going back a few turns, tried changing all of my productions, etc..., but nothing worked with rev 686. I reverted to rev 685, and was able to continue playing (as you also had observed), so I'll stick with that older rev' until the new one is sorted (yes, I lost a few of those new cavalry units, ah well).

Cheers, A.

Can you upload a save that crashes on the next turn? I gave in and set up the Civ4 SDK environment and I could take a look...

Can you upload a save that crashes on the next turn? I gave in and set up the Civ4 SDK environment and I could take a look...

Ah, be happy to! It was in this post (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13172462&postcount=1691):

Hi,

consistent crash to desktop upon end-of-turn. Rev 684. 1667AD (849/1800 turns).

Zip-compressed save file attached. Anything else needed?

Cheers,
A.

... and the file URL (if this actually works) of the attached file (which isn't included in the above quote) is:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=373559&d=1397558085

EDIT: note that the 'rev 684' I initially claimed is INCORRECT. I started with rev 684, then upgraded to 686 (new cavalry). Rev 686 crashes, rev 685 does not crash.

Cheers.

Ah, be happy to! It was in this post (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13172462&postcount=1691):

... and the file URL (if this actually works) of the attached file (which isn't included in the above quote) is:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=373559&d=1397558085

EDIT: note that the 'rev 684' I initially claimed is INCORRECT. I started with rev 684, then upgraded to 686 (new cavalry). Rev 686 crashes, rev 685 does not crash.

Cheers.

I ran it on the latest rev, with the debug DLL was able to go forward 2 more turns. I dunno if you are using any custom addons or changes that could result in the difference.

I ran it on the latest rev, with the debug DLL was able to go forward 2 more turns. I dunno if you are using any custom addons or changes that could result in the difference.

Thanks for taking a look. It should have crashed on the first "end of turn"... Interestingly, 45* noted:

45°38'N-13°47'E;13180631 said:
I've tried your save with dll rev685 and I had no problem going on playing, although some units (dragoons, lancers and man_at_arms) were removed. But the fact that you had Dragoons, lancers and so on in your game makes me think that you're not on rev684 because those were introduced in rev686. Then I've tried with the latest revision and I got the CTD. Minidump points to something tied to a unit, probably. So I guess one of the new cavalry unit is responsible for the CTD. Have you changed your revision while playing or have you played the whole game until now with the same revision?

I'm not aware that I have any custom add-ons. The only changes I've made at all are to the Perfect Mongoose map script, so highly unlikely to be relevant.

Perhaps it is relevant that I copy the UserSettings folder from one revision to the next, to avoid having to choose all the BUG settings all over again each time. I just hope each time that the format of those files (which I've not investigated) haven't changed.

Cheers.

I saw the same message about units.

Several messages about invalid units being removed? Would that not imply that you're using a revision prior to the introduction of the new cavalry units, i.e. prior to 686 (I believe)?

Several messages about invalid units being removed? Would that not imply that you're using a revision prior to the introduction of the new cavalry units, i.e. prior to 686 (I believe)?

I also think so. Those units are the ones introduced by Vokarya in his cavalry revision.

Why does everyone of my games devolve into endless war lol :lol:

Here its 550 AD, already into the Renaissance Era, have an entire continent to myself.

Somewhere around 150 ships on patrol or guarding key points. The Egyptians keep claiming the war is going badly for them yet refuse to offer peace :crazyeye:

I think I will move 60 Elephant Bombardiers and some cannons onto the galleons and just start burning down ALL his costal cities :goodjob:

Why does everyone of my games devolve into endless war lol :lol:

Here its 550 AD, already into the Renaissance Era, have an entire continent to myself.

Somewhere around 150 ships on patrol or guarding key points. The Egyptians keep claiming the war is going badly for them yet refuse to offer peace :crazyeye:

I think I will move 60 Elephant Bombardiers and some cannons onto the galleons and just start burning down ALL his costal cities :goodjob:

Probably because you are the number 1 Civ. And that kicks in a "we must get you" trigger. Especially if you have Conquests as a Victory condition.

Maybe you should bump your play up a level in difficulty?

JosEPh

Playing on Monarch so maybe Emperor then :king:

Ill turn off conquest on my next game and see how it pans out

Every game I play, no matter how well I'm doing, once I get to the late middle ages/Renaissance, I start falling behind in tech. No clue why lol.

Every game I play, no matter how well I'm doing, once I get to the late middle ages/Renaissance, I start falling behind in tech. No clue why lol.

LOL... usually it's the opposite. AI is falling behind after Middle Age. Which revision are you using? Have you tried an easier difficulty level? Are you playing with Tech Diffusion (that should help keeping you afloat)?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13188772 said:
LOL... usually it's the opposite. AI is falling behind after Middle Age. Which revision are you using? Have you tried an easier difficulty level? Are you playing with Tech Diffusion (that should help keeping you afloat)?

Revision 687, tech diffusion off, flexible difficulty turned on.

I'm not like extremely behind, I'm neck and neck with the other civs in the top 5 in terms of number of cities, military, but they're all like 7-8 techs ahead of me despite me dominating in technology up until the middle of the middle ages. Map size is large, I have 14 cities, they all have 12-14 cities each.

I imagine that I could probably beat any of them militarily with a great deal of effort because I'm enormously wealthy(+70 gold per turn at 95% research) and have a pretty high production. But it feels like more and more they're going to out-tech me unless I slaughter them all lol.

Spys bro. Unleash your rampant hordes of covert mini-onions. With that amount of GPT, you should have no problems adjusting your EP's for some dastardly no goodness.

Spys bro. Unleash your rampant hordes of covert mini-onions. With that amount of GPT, you should have no problems adjusting your EP's for some dastardly no goodness.

That's it. Go and steal their advanced techs; change their civics/religion (when they change back, that likely results in anarch for them); aid rebel factions (with a constant effort you may brake an empire in halves or even smaller parts).

I mostly use my spies to cause revolts in enemy cities, strangely enough when my armies are parked just outside. :)

Top Bottom