Tech Tree Revisions

One more minor tweak to the Modern Era; I noticed just today that Mass Media doesn't lead to anything except Conglomerates and Tourism. I've made Conglomerates somewhat more important to the tech tree, but I think Mass Media should be woven into the tree a bit more firmly than just those two techs, so I am going to make Mass Media a prerequisite for Communication Networks, replacing the current Globalization.

One more minor tweak to the Modern Era; I noticed just today that Mass Media doesn't lead to anything except Conglomerates and Tourism. I've made Conglomerates somewhat more important to the tech tree, but I think Mass Media should be woven into the tree a bit more firmly than just those two techs, so I am going to make Mass Media a prerequisite for Communication Networks, replacing the current Globalization.

:goodjob:

I finished coding up all of the revisions and new techs that I proposed in this thread, and I've attached a ZIP file with the necessary changes if you want to try the changes yourself. This is not on the SVN yet, and I don't plan on putting it on the SVN until I finish coding up all the additional content for the new techs (plus, I want to wait for the release of a new beta version).

The ZIP archive contains three files.
  • A replacement CIV4TechInfos.xml file. This covers all the actual changes to the Tech Tree.
  • A new game text file, Vokarya Techs CIV4GameText.xml file. This has the text for all the new techs, plus the new names for several techs (such as Compulsory Education becoming Public Schooling) and a new quote for Constitution.
  • An FPK file with the new tech icons.

This is ONLY the tech tree, with no other changes. The new techs won't have ANY content yet (except Alchemy, which has all of the stuff that was previously on Invention). Also, some things are probably going to break. Two things I'm pretty sure of are:
  • Cuirassier should probably come down in strength since Cavalry Tactics was moved closer to the beginning of the Renaissance.
  • SAM Infantry (available at Guided Weapons) is now after the Mobile SAM (available at Modern Warfare) that it's supposed to be replaced by. We'll probably

Let me know if you find anything else strange. I'll be starting another thread of all the stuff that goes along with the new techs.

I finished coding up all of the revisions and new techs that I proposed in this thread, and I've attached a ZIP file with the necessary changes if you want to try the changes yourself. This is not on the SVN yet, and I don't plan on putting it on the SVN until I finish coding up all the additional content for the new techs (plus, I want to wait for the release of a new beta version).

The ZIP archive contains three files.
  • A replacement CIV4TechInfos.xml file. This covers all the actual changes to the Tech Tree.
  • A new game text file, Vokarya Techs CIV4GameText.xml file. This has the text for all the new techs, plus the new names for several techs (such as Compulsory Education becoming Public Schooling) and a new quote for Constitution.
  • An FPK file with the new tech icons.

This is ONLY the tech tree, with no other changes. The new techs won't have ANY content yet (except Alchemy, which has all of the stuff that was previously on Invention). Also, some things are probably going to break. Two things I'm pretty sure of are:
  • Cuirassier should probably come down in strength since Cavalry Tactics was moved closer to the beginning of the Renaissance.
  • SAM Infantry (available at Guided Weapons) is now after the Mobile SAM (available at Modern Warfare) that it's supposed to be replaced by. We'll probably

Let me know if you find anything else strange. I'll be starting another thread of all the stuff that goes along with the new techs.

Very well Vokarya. I think I'll start some test very soon. :)

I did notice a few small bugs in my tech tree revisions. If you're testing the new versions, please use this Civ4TechInfos.xml file instead. Here's exactly what changed:
  • Industrialism was moved to the correct column.
  • Machine Learning was changed to be a Modern Era tech.
  • Bionics and Smart Dust were revised as they should have been (prerequisites, cost, grid location, iAsset values, deleting a duplicate Growth flavor on Bionics)

Also, there's a strange line coming down from Economics in the F6 view. I'm not sure why it's there. If someone could shed some light on the issue, it would be appreciated.

I saw a bug, on the tech tree when I "looked at bigger picture", alphabet & mathematics where occupying the same space. Like the two tech boxes were on top of eachother.

That means they both have the same tech tree co-ords (x,y). Should be easy to fix if the Column they are both in is not full.

JosEPh

That means they both have the same tech tree co-ords (x,y). Should be easy to fix if the Column they are both in is not full.

JosEPh

You are correct. Alphabet should be at X7 Y5, just below where Mathematics is. You can fix it yourself if you want; if you have a text editor that does line numbers, it's at line 4720 (change <iGridY>3</iGridY> to <iGridY>5</iGridY>). Or you can use this file. I just fixed the number.

Resurrecting the Tech Tree thread.

I've noted that there's a quick way to get from Classical to Renaissance era aiming at Humanism: you only need Education, Architecture, Guilds, Alchemy, Civil Service and Feudalism or Theology. 6 techs to get from Classical to Renaissance and you can skip most of the medieval tech (23 other techs). This is excessive in my view. I like Medieval era because there are many OR requirements and you can choose your way from Classical to Renaissance but adding some medieval prereq to get to renaissance wouldn't be a bad idea. Your opinion Vokarya?

More on advancing through eras; you can reach Industrial era without ever having gunpowder. Looks really odd to me. I guess some key techs shouldn't be skipped so easily and gunpowder is certainly one of them. :rolleyes:

Hi!
What is the effect to be enter into a new era? Has any affet at all?
Maybe you shold change to enter a new era when you dicover not 1 but 2 tech?

Hi!
What is the effect to be enter into a new era? Has any affet at all?

Yes, there's some effect. Some parameters change with era, for example iGrowth and iInitialCityMaintenancePercent.

Maybe you shold change to enter a new era when you dicover not 1 but 2 tech?

I like the idea but I don't know if it's possible and I've never thought how to do it; I think I could try, but first I'd like to hear Vokarya's opinion since the tech tree is his playground. :)

45°38'N-13°47'E;12854202 said:
More on advancing through eras; you can reach Industrial era without ever having gunpowder. Looks really odd to me. I guess some key techs shouldn't be skipped so easily and gunpowder is certainly one of them. :rolleyes:

That was one reason why I suggested moving Explosives to be a requirement for Steam Power (it's currently required for Railroad). You would have to go down the entire Gunpowder-Matchlock-Flintlock-Explosives chain to get to Steam Power. You could get into the Industrial Era with either Photography or Military Science, but you can't get any further than that without SP. Would that work?

45°38'N-13°47'E;12853324 said:
Resurrecting the Tech Tree thread.

I've noted that there's a quick way to get from Classical to Renaissance era aiming at Humanism: you only need Education, Architecture, Guilds, Alchemy, Civil Service and Feudalism or Theology. 6 techs to get from Classical to Renaissance and you can skip most of the medieval tech (23 other techs). This is excessive in my view. I like Medieval era because there are many OR requirements and you can choose your way from Classical to Renaissance but adding some medieval prereq to get to renaissance wouldn't be a bad idea. Your opinion Vokarya?

You have a point, but I'm not sure what the best way is to fix it. I have the same issue with the Ancient Era since you can get to the Classical with just Storytelling, The Wheel, (Agriculture or Fishing), Pottery, Trade, Writing, and then to Mathematics. I think I prefer Civ4's way of the first tech gets you to the new era over what feels like Civ3's way of having to research all or most of the previous era before starting the next.

That was one reason why I suggested moving Explosives to be a requirement for Steam Power (it's currently required for Railroad). You would have to go down the entire Gunpowder-Matchlock-Flintlock-Explosives chain to get to Steam Power. You could get into the Industrial Era with either Photography or Military Science, but you can't get any further than that without SP. Would that work?

It could, I'll try your suggestion.

Edit: Mmm, in my techinfo.xml explosives is not required for railroad. Railroad only requires Steam Power. But I'll try what you suggested anyway.

You have a point, but I'm not sure what the best way is to fix it.

What about Chivalry instead of Guilds as prereq for Gunpowder; Algebra instead of Education for Printing Press and adding Chivalry as prereq to Humanism? I guess that should do the trick. Most of the Middle Age techs in the last column are not being used to advance to Renaissance, which looks strange to me.
By the way in my tech tree Anatomy and Political Philosophy are graphically overlapped.

I have the same issue with the Ancient Era since you can get to the Classical with just Storytelling, The Wheel, (Agriculture or Fishing), Pottery, Trade, Writing, and then to Mathematics. I think I prefer Civ4's way of the first tech gets you to the new era over what feels like Civ3's way of having to research all or most of the previous era before starting the next.

Well, I don't know, I've never noticed AI rushing for Classical, but I do see AI rush from Classical to Renaissance (and sometimes from Renaissance to Industrial), skipping some key techs.

45°38'N-13°47'E;12856073 said:
It could, I'll try your suggestion.

Edit: Mmm, in my techinfo.xml explosives is not required for railroad. Railroad only requires Steam Power. But I'll try what you suggested anyway.

I meant Refining, not Railroad. My mistake, but the end result is the same.

I've been doing autoplays with a tweak to Monotheism to see how religion founding clusters. When I do my next commit, I will be changing Monotheism's prerequisites to Masonry + Priesthood + Sacrifice. This takes Polytheism off of Monotheism's prerequisites to prevent a civilization from getting both Hinduism and Judaism.

Monotheism will also be moved backwards to location X5 Y9 and cost reduced to 110, since it's now an Ancient Level 4 tech instead of Level 5.

I've been doing autoplays with a tweak to Monotheism to see how religion founding clusters. When I do my next commit, I will be changing Monotheism's prerequisites to Masonry + Priesthood + Sacrifice. This takes Polytheism off of Monotheism's prerequisites to prevent a civilization from getting both Hinduism and Judaism.

Monotheism will also be moved backwards to location X5 Y9 and cost reduced to 110, since it's now an Ancient Level 4 tech instead of Level 5.

Thank you.

In your testing I hope that you will see that Meditation needs a tweak too.

JosEPh

Top Bottom