Updated AND 2.1 Mega Civ Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, thank you for creating the FPK's. I noticed they do make the mod load much faster (wasn't timing it, but did notice the difference).

I went through the units again with my spreadsheet, and I noticed a few things as I was working. It's much less than before, so a very good job on that. Some of these may be deliberate, so I would be fine with that, but I'm just checking.

Any help, advice or discussion is totally welcome. In fact, I hope the balance of the units and buildings is discussed here, to improve it, although I have worked very intensively on it. I am open to any suggestions.

[*]Artillery UU's: NA Artillery (Nigeria UU) and Sena Bahini (Bangladesh UU) are both -20 cost (280 vs. 300) from regular Artillery. Is this intended?

Yes, as the description of the units says, this is intentional. You think is too much?

[*]Chariot UU's: Etruscan Chariot (Etruscan UU) and Maryannu (Hurrian UU) are both -5 cost from regular Chariot. Rathin is +5 cost. Is all of this intended?

In the case of Etrucan Chariot, as the description of the unit says, this is intentional. Also in the case of Hurrian Chariot (maryannu) is intentional.

In the third case, the Vedic Chariot (Rathin), was also intentional, because of their great bonus against melee units (+50%), which together with its +100% vs. Axeman is very useful, but I have doubts. The doubts come because the Persian Chariot (Immortal), which also has a +50% bonus against Archery units, and is cheaper than normal. Maybe a good idea to remove that +5 cost to the Rathin...

What do you think?

[*]Light Cavalry UU's: Gothic Cavalry (Goth UU) and Maqil Warrior (Yemeni UU) both still have the Flanking I-II promotions.

In the case of Maqil Warrior is intentional, but in the case of Gothic Cavalry is a mistake. The correct promotion is Charge I.

[*]Alea Miliaria (Batavii UU): This unit doesn't have a Peat Bog attack penalty. I'm guessing this is intentional to go along with the Amphibious promotion.

Is totally intentional. The description of the unit clarifies things a bit.

[*]Grivpanvar (Parthia UU): This unit should probably have the Immune to First Strikes ability turned on.

Fixed. Thank you very much.

[*]Guard Hussar (Denmark UU): I think you went too far with reducing its strength, and it is actually supposed to be +2 strength over the standard Cuirassier. The original was Strength 23 compared to 21 for the Cuirassier. I don't think +25% attack vs. Cannon is enough to make a UU.

You're absolutely right. It is a fault committed at updating the mod to your last revision (681). The previous version before update does not have that bug. Sorry, I'll fix it now.

If everyone help on this, I will make a hotfix this weekend with bugs or balancing suggestions under discussion in this thread. Thank you very much for the feedback.

As long as what you're doing is intended, I'm fine with it. I just want to make sure that everything really is intended. The costs for the UU's are fine, and nothing seems totally out of order.

I do have a couple of suggestions for changes to the UU's that I would like to see. These are things that are not currently wrong, but I feel could be made a bit better.

Heavy Hussar (Polish UU): I think this would be better off named Winged Hussar. That is what the artwork shows and I think it is a much more evocative name. I also think this would be better if it was a Cuirassier replacement instead of a Mailed Knight replacement, keeping the Charge I promotion. The most famous time period for the Hussars is the 16th-17th century, which is the Renaissance Era and should be a Renaissance unit.

Viet Cong (Vietnamese UU): I almost think this could be a Modern Infantry replacement rather than a Marine replacement. I would drop the Ambush I promotion but keep Guerrilla I and Woodsman I. This doesn't have to happen, but I thought it would be interesting.

Galeass (Venetian UU): I think this should be a Galleass replacement rather than a Caravel. The regular Galleass was one of my earliest additions to the mod (so it came after the Megapack), and we could call the Venetian version a Great Galleass or War Galleass, keeping the Coastal Assault and Coastal Guard promotions.

Boer Commando (South African UU) and Huszar Cavalry (Hungarian UU) are currently the same unit: a Cavalry replacement with Commando. Do you think we can fnd something different to do with one of them?

One more thing: South Africa's game text is misspelled as South Arfica. That needs fixing.

And also fix TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OOS_LONDON. The GameText file has a dash where the CivilizationInfos has an underscore. And the GameText also has Londen (one o, one e) where the Info file has London (two o's).

On top of that, Welkom is also misspelled everywhere in the GameText file.

I do have a couple of suggestions for changes to the UU's that I would like to see. These are things that are not currently wrong, but I feel could be made a bit better.

Heavy Hussar (Polish UU): I think this would be better off named Winged Hussar. That is what the artwork shows and I think it is a much more evocative name. I also think this would be better if it was a Cuirassier replacement instead of a Mailed Knight replacement, keeping the Charge I promotion. The most famous time period for the Hussars is the 16th-17th century, which is the Renaissance Era and should be a Renaissance unit.

I think a very good proposal. The Winged Hussars were called so for differentiated from the other similar troops of other empires, especially Hungary. I've always loved miniatures of the Winged Hussars of some board wargames, those wings are very cool on the back.

It seems very logical change the unit to Cuirassier, for reasons of historical dates (although the typical Winged Husar until century XVIII always carrying a heavy spear and not a firearm), but I have to remind you a previous comment of yours:

[*]Guard Hussar (Denmark UU): I think you went too far with reducing its strength, and it is actually supposed to be +2 strength over the standard Cuirassier. The original was Strength 23 compared to 21 for the Cuirassier. I don't think +25% attack vs. Cannon is enough to make a UU.

Therefore, I think it's logical give an extra promotion to Winged Husar besides the Charge I promotion, Shock I, because the continous charges this unit were brutal against infantry until the appearance of the infantry with firearms. Do you agree?

Viet Cong (Vietnamese UU): I almost think this could be a Modern Infantry replacement rather than a Marine replacement. I would drop the Ambush I promotion but keep Guerrilla I and Woodsman I. This doesn't have to happen, but I thought it would be interesting.

I seem fine most of the suggested changes because I do not like too much as a replacement for the Marine unit. But I have a few extra suggestions to what you said .

Vietcong troops are specialized in guerrilla tactics and continuous movement, and always had serious problems facing the United States artillery in Vietnam War, so they trying to avoid the artillery, or created surprise attacks against artillery positions to try eliminate it. But I support the elimination of Promotion Ambush I. Instead is awarded a promotion that show the ability to be always on movement and their ability to retreat.

Proposed changes to VietCong unit:

- It is not a replacement for the Marines, going to be a replacement of Modern Infantry.

- Maintain Guerilla I and Woodsman I promotions.

- Acquires March promotion.

- Acquires an +20% to retreat.

- Lose the +25 % to defense of cities, typical of Modern Infantry. (They were a specialized guerrillas, were not good defending cities) You like the idea?

Galeass (Venetian UU): I think this should be a Galleass replacement rather than a Caravel. The regular Galleass was one of my earliest additions to the mod (so it came after the Megapack), and we could call the Venetian version a Great Galleass or War Galleass, keeping the Coastal Assault and Coastal Guard promotions.

I think a wonderful proposal. It is more historically correct, and besides, the description of the unit fully supports this change. Thank you very much!

Boer Commando (South African UU) and Huszar Cavalry (Hungarian UU) are currently the same unit: a Cavalry replacement with Commando. Do you think we can fnd something different to do with one of them?

I agree. I think it must be the Boer Commando which retains the promotion, as they were historically used as a unit of fast guerrilla tactics against their enemies, quickly advancing through British territory during the Boer wars.

The Huszar Cavalry unit was used more as a light support unit, flanking the enemy, trying to capture or destroy their artillery. I think it would be more appropriate remove the Commando promotion, and assign them two promotions, Flanking I and Charge I.

One more thing: South Africa's game text is misspelled as South Arfica. That needs fixing.

And also fix TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OOS_LONDON. The GameText file has a dash where the CivilizationInfos has an underscore. And the GameText also has Londen (one o, one e) where the Info file has London (two o's).

On top of that, Welkom is also misspelled everywhere in the GameText file.

I'll fix it, thanks.

I have a few suggestions about two units:

Iraqi Republican Guard: It makes little sense to be a replacement of Marine, which specializes in landings and attacks through rivers.

The Republican Guard was trained to operate in deserts (Iran-Iraq War and Iraq-Kuwait War), in open field and especially to attack rebels and prevent internal rebellions in own cities or newly conquered cities.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate as a Modern Infantry replacement, instead a Marine replacement. They should have a good bonus defending in cities, ability to prevent rebellions and a light capability when attacking cities.

Proposed changes in the Iraqi Republican Guard:

- It is not a replacement for the Marines, going to be a replacement of Modern Infantry.

- +20% when defending cities.

- +15% when attacking cities.

- Acquires Patrol I promotion.

The same applies to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, but with a few changes:

- Continuing to be a replacement for the Modern Infantry.

- +30% when defending cities.

- They cost -10 production.

These two units were formed to protect the own territory, as preeminently defensive troops and to prevent the insurgency, although later the Iraqi army use these units as assault troops and urban combat.

The differences between the two units are scarce (as in the real world), except that the Iraqi Republican Guard has been more trained and used to attack cities, and the Revolutionary Guards are better defended cities and more numerous and fast to recruit.

You like these ideas?

Just wanna inform you about the greatly improved load time.
My 1MB save game loaded in a bit less than 5 mins.
Previously only the game load to the main menu took about 10-15 mins.

Great THX for the fpk files! :goodjob:

Are you planning to work around the following python issues?
-culturally linked starts?
-which civ spawns which?
-civs led by female leaders being called Queendom instead of KIngdom when running Monarchy?

Just wanna inform you about the greatly improved load time.
My 1MB save game loaded in a bit less than 5 mins.
Previously only the game load to the main menu took about 10-15 mins.

Great THX for the fpk files! :goodjob:

Are you planning to work around the following python issues?
-culturally linked starts?
-which civ spawns which?
-civs led by female leaders being called Queendom instead of KIngdom when running Monarchy?

I am delighted that the game now starts faster! Thanks for comment!

1 - Culturally Linked Starts: I never use that option, but it is sure it is necessary to add the new civs for that these are positioned correctly on the map. It is not something that is going to do now, but once this happy with the balance of units and buildings, and the mod is free of bugs, I will put on it.

2 - It's really not necessary. The file that controls the generation of rebels civs, RebelTypes.py, in Python/Revolutions folder, accepts any new civilization added, because what it does is create a new civilization with a similar art style. For example, if you play with Yemeni Empire, appear preferably civs with the art style of Arabic Empires, if available.

3 - Queendom instead of Kingdom. I suppose it's easy to do, but I don't know how do this. I'd have to do some research about this. As with Culturally Linked Starts, is not a priority, but it will do in the future.

it does rename kingdoms as queendoms doesn't it? i'm sure i've had the queendom of celtia when playing boudicca... i think it's a nice touch imho.

it does rename kingdoms as queendoms doesn't it? i'm sure i've had the queendom of celtia when playing boudicca... i think it's a nice touch imho.

It is implemented to work with the original civilizations of AND, but does not work with the civilizations of the Mega Civ Pack, I just checked this in my game with Shin Sawbu, female leader of the Burmese Empire. Appears as Burmese Kingdon.

I will investigate this a little ...

EDIT: I'm doing tests, to entertain me a bit, trying to make DynamicCivNames work with the new leaders:

I modified of this form DynamicCivNames.py:

Spoiler :
Code:
  def isFemaleLeader( self, eLeader ):
    bFemaleLeader = False

if (eLeader == -1):
      return False

if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader == gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_BOUDICA"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_ELIZABETH"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_HATSHEPSUT"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_VICTORIA"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_ATOTOZTLI"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_CLEOPATRA"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_DIDO"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_JOANOFARC"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_NEFERTITI"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_THEODORA"))
    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_WU"))
[COLOR="Red"]    if (not bFemaleLeader):
      bFemaleLeader = (eLeader== gc.getInfoTypeForString("LEADER_MAKEDA"))[/COLOR]

return bFemaleLeader

Being useful that this leader, Makeda, have specified in its name the female gender:

Spoiler :
Code:
         <TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_LEADER_MAKEDA</Tag>
		<English>Makeda</English>
		<French>
			<Text>Makeda</Text>
			<Gender>Female</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</French>
		<German>
			<Text>Makeda</Text>
			<Gender>Female</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</German>
		<Italian>
			<Text>Makeda</Text>
			<Gender>Female</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Italian>
		<Spanish>
			<Text>Makeda</Text>
			<Gender>Female</Gender>
			<Plural>0</Plural>
		</Spanish>
	</TEXT>

This works perfectly. Now Queendom is reflected in the name of the female leader has once adopt Monarchy, rather than Kingdom. It is quick to do, will be done for the next hotfix. :)

EDIT2: I have seen some basic female leaders of AND, no are specified as Queendom, when they adopt the Monarchy. So far I have only seen Catherine the Great (Russian Empire) and Isabella (Spanish Empire), but maybe there are more female leaders with this error. I will communicate this in the bugs section. Anyway, I'll add the genre of these female leaders in my hotfix, whether or not leaders of my mods, until it is fixed by a future revision.

EDIT3: Fixed. Really only necessary to make the change in the python file. The 25 new female leaders of my two mods (MegaCivPack and Custom Leaderheads MPC) now have specified their gender as female. When adopting Monarchy, appear in their name Queendom, rather than Kingdom. :)

Therefore, I think it's logical give an extra promotion to Winged Husar besides the Charge I promotion, Shock I, because the continous charges this unit were brutal against infantry until the appearance of the infantry with firearms. Do you agree?

Fine with me. Two of those promotions are a good differential for a UU.

I seem fine most of the suggested changes because I do not like too much as a replacement for the Marine unit. But I have a few extra suggestions to what you said .

Vietcong troops are specialized in guerrilla tactics and continuous movement, and always had serious problems facing the United States artillery in Vietnam War, so they trying to avoid the artillery, or created surprise attacks against artillery positions to try eliminate it. But I support the elimination of Promotion Ambush I. Instead is awarded a promotion that show the ability to be always on movement and their ability to retreat.

Proposed changes to VietCong unit:
- Maintain Guerilla I and Woodsman I promotions.
- Acquires March promotion.
- Acquires an +20% to retreat.
- Lose the +25 % to defense of cities, typical of Modern Infantry. (They were a specialized guerrillas, were not good defending cities) You like the idea?

I think the March promotion is too much. I think Guerrilla I and Woodsman I and 20% withdraw and no defense bonus is enough right there.

I have a few suggestions about two units:

Iraqi Republican Guard: It makes little sense to be a replacement of Marine, which specializes in landings and attacks through rivers.

The Republican Guard was trained to operate in deserts (Iran-Iraq War and Iraq-Kuwait War), in open field and especially to attack rebels and prevent internal rebellions in own cities or newly conquered cities.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate as a Modern Infantry replacement, instead a Marine replacement. They should have a good bonus defending in cities, ability to prevent rebellions and a light capability when attacking cities.

Proposed changes in the Iraqi Republican Guard:
- +20% when defending cities.
- +15% when attacking cities.

The same applies to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, but with a few changes:
- Continuing to be a replacement for the Modern Infantry.
- +30% when defending cities.
- They cost -10 production.
You like these ideas?

Good ideas, but you might be stacking too many bonuses on a UU. With Revolutionary Guard, I would go with Patrol I and -10 cost and that's enough. Maybe -20 cost instead. Do keep in mind that Modern Infantry already has a base +25% city defense. +5% is a bit on the trivial side. Republican Guard looks okay. I'd keep the defense bonus at +25%, then give them +15% city attack and Patrol I.

Fine with me. Two of those promotions are a good differential for a UU.

Done!

I think the March promotion is too much. I think Guerrilla I and Woodsman I and 20% withdraw and no defense bonus is enough right there.

Sounds good. I'll make the change now. By becoming an offensive troop, as the bonus is removed to defend cities, I think should also change the DefaultUnitAI. In Modern Infantry unit, the defaultAI currently is UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE, and I think this should change UNITAI_ATTACK.

Should also be added the following, if we want to make this change in the unit, and that the AI use the unit in a more offensive manner:
Code:
			<UnitAIs>
				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>
[COLOR="Red"]				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>[/COLOR]
				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_RESERVE</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>
				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>
			</UnitAIs>
Good ideas, but you might be stacking too many bonuses on a UU. With Revolutionary Guard, I would go with Patrol I and -10 cost and that's enough. Maybe -20 cost instead. Do keep in mind that Modern Infantry already has a base +25% city defense. +5% is a bit on the trivial side. Republican Guard looks okay. I'd keep the defense bonus at +25%, then give them +15% city attack and Patrol I.

Ok. It seems right. As with the Viet Cong unit, in Iraqi Republican Guard unit should also be added this change in the unit, and that the AI use the unit in a more offensive manner vs cities:
Code:
			<UnitAIs>
				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>
[COLOR="Red"]				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>[/COLOR]
				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_RESERVE</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>
				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>
			</UnitAIs>

But keeping the defaultAI as UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE.

Current Progress in the hotfix1 for Mega Civ Pack 1.2:

- Guard Hussar (Denmark UU). Increase strength in 2 points.

- Gothic Cavalry (Goth UU). Removed Flanking II promotion. Instead he was given Charge I promotion.

- Huszar Cavalry (Hungarian UU). Removed Commando promotion, and now receive two free promotions, Flanking I and Charge I,

- Revolutionary Guard (Iranian UU), now get Patrol I promotion, and has a significantly lower cost (-20).

- Republican Guard (Iraqi UU), it is no longer a replacement for the Marine unit. Now replaces the Modern Infantry unit, and get Patrol I promotion and +15% when attacking cities. UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY has been added to their list of possible ways to proceed, so that the AI knows better exploit its new improvement in the assault of cities.

- Grivpanvar (Parthia UU). Added the ability Immune to First Strikes.

- Heavy Hussar (Polish UU). It has been renamed to Winged Hussar and is now a replacement of Cuirassier unit. Also receives promotion Shock I.

- Many text errors have been fixed in SouthAfrica_CIV4GameText.xml and SouthAfrica_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml files.

- It has lowered the cost of recruiting of Rathin (Vedic UU) in -5.

- Galeass (Venetian UU), was renamed as Great Galleas. In addition, it is now a replacement of Galleass unit, instead of Caravel unit.

- Viet Cong (Vietnamese UU), is no longer a replacement for the Marine unit. Now replaces the Modern Infantry unit. Lose the Ambush I promotion and preserves Guerilla I and Woodsman I promotions, now having a possibility of withdrawal of 20%. Lose the defense bonus in cities. UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY has been added to list of possible courses of action of the unit, and changed their current defaultAI (UNITAI_CITY_DEFENSE) by UNITAI_ATTACK, so the AI knows better their new offensive function.

- Has been fully adapted the mod to DynamicCivsNames. Now when a leader is female and adopt the monarchy, in its name will look Queendom, not Kingdom.

You think it would be good idea release now the hotfix? Or is it better to wait for new balance corrections and suggestions?

Some questions for those who use my mods:

Someone used the mod that adds new leaders to the basic AND civilizations? It's called Custom Leaderheads MPC.

The question is for good reason. To display the word Queendom instead of Kingdom in the new female leaders of this mod, is necessary add the new DynamicCivsNames.py.

If someone uses Custom Leaderheads MCP at the same time of Mega Civ Pack 1.2 and updates this last with the next Hotfix1, this already includes DynamicCivsNames.py.

For those who only use Custom Leaderheads MCP, if anyone uses it, is necessary add the new DynamicCivsNames.py file to work properly. I'll upload now to dropbox a new version of this mod. If someone uses it separately, will have to download the new version.

The new version of Custom Leaderheads MCP (DynamicCivsNames compatible) is already available in the second post and in this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/duw7qxveroneje0/Custom Leaderheads MCP 1.1b.7z

Just want to add a word of Caution, IF a players adds too many Civs along with too many Leaderheads the Graphics Load on the Mod becomes quite large. And once the Mod starts using more than 2.6GB of ram, it will cause MAFs to start occurring.

Graphics Are the biggest users of Ram in the Civ IV engine. Use Task Manager to view Civ IV's usage when using AND and a full load of these 2 add ons. Once the "load" gets above 2.1GB you've probably reached a reasonable limit. By 2.4GB you really should pull some out. And once you hit 2.8GB you Will MAF even with an i7 2600k cpu with 8GB of DDR3 1333 or even 1600Mhz ram and 2GB DDR5 video ram.

Please don't get me wrong, Use these mods as Maska zgz has done a Masterful job. Just don't go crazy and add them ALL in. Or you may experience MAFs.

JosEPh

Edit: One other factor to realize in MAFs is also how many Programs/Apps you have running in the background on your computer. When you play AND or C2C reduce the number of background apps/progs so that the game has more ram to access.

Absolutely true. Be very careful with the use of the ram when playing this game (and any other with 3Gb limit). However, there are ways around these problems.

The specs of my pc are:

CPU: Inter Core i7 960@3.20GHz - 3.20 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB DDR3
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Top

Even with this pretty good system (except for the graphics card, which although very good, it's old), you may have MAFs in Civ4. However, there are ways around these problems mostly:

Spoiler :
1 - Always have the pc in good maintenance condition:

- Make weekly cleaning of windows registry and unnecessary files. (Ccleaner, Argente Utilities)

- Defragmentation of the hard drives regularly. (I use MyDefrag)

- Not having large files on the desktop or the recycle bin full. This consumes computer resources. The best is only have shortcuts on the desktop. On my desktop I have only a shortcut to a folder. In that folder I have all the shortcuts I need.

- Clean the Downloads folder regularly.

- Make a complete physical cleaning of pc at least three times a year.

- Not having installed programs that you never use.

- Do not use antivirus or other programs in the background while you play.

- Have all programs except the Antivirus disabled in the Windows Start (that if eat a lot of resources). Do not allow any program to start with Windows, except the Antivirus and little else.

- Not having many mods installed that do not use in the game and not having full of old games the Saves folder.

- Do not install the games in the default path, if possible, if not on other own hard disk or partition. With this, the hard disk of the operating system will be less crowded, and avoid the damn Control User Accounts, which can be disabled, as this can cause problems in many games. I have three partitions on a disk of 2 TB. One for the operating system and not very heavy programs. Other partition for games, and a different partition as storage.

2 - Useful external programs:

- Game Booster: Disable all non-essential processes of Windows while playing, and any other process not useful for the game, which releases a lot of ram.

- CleanMem: You can program every few minutes to clear the ram memory used by unnecessary processes, and clean and recover accumulated remnants of ram.

- Use over the .exe file of BTS, the 4gbpatch program, which makes the 32-bit applications accept almost 4 GB of ram instead almost 3 GB. This is very important. (x64 operating systems only). Is important remember have a copy of the original exe.

- Use ReadyBoost. A utility of Windows Vista and Windows 7 (in this last works best). Allows use a usb pen empty (in exFAT format, preferably), using all the space of this as cache memory (in my case 15GB). This is very useful to prevent overflows of ram that cause MAFs.
Forcing myself to follow these practices, my experience with all games has improved exponentially in the last years. I previously had MAFs often, but now, I have not had any MAFs in at least two years. I have friends with better computers than mine, but as they are very careless, they have many more problems than me.

I can play with 40 civilizations in Huge maps without problems, although in advanced eras, the turns are slow. My current game started in a Huge map with 35 civilizations, but because of Revolutions mod, now there are 43. I'm in the modern era, and I have not had any MAF. This last game is using all my mods, at a very advanced era, only consumes 1,811,956 of ram. And the limit was almost 4GB. I usually watch movies and series via Internet while I play, in another monitor, and I have no problems with my pc resources.

But one thing is certain, a user who does not know how to use well the pc, an older computer, or a computer with little or no maintenance, with an windows start full of ghost applications and especially 32 bits operating systems, have to be very careful with MAFs.

In brief, you're absolutely right, but if you are careful and know what to do, these failures can be avoided. :)

I think it would be a good idea to release the hotfix now. I haven't started to look at buildings yet, so I think we should include what we have already discussed and then continue on to buildings.

I think it would be a good idea to release the hotfix now. I haven't started to look at buildings yet, so I think we should include what we have already discussed and then continue on to buildings.

Done! I tested it several times and everything is correct and works well, including changes in python.

I put the link here and also I'll update the first two post of this thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5rco5d5ydftixa/MCP 1.2 HotFix1.7z

Enjoy it! :)

2 - It's really not necessary. The file that controls the generation of rebels civs, RebelTypes.py, in Python/Revolutions folder, accepts any new civilization added, because what it does is create a new civilization with a similar art style. For example, if you play with Yemeni Empire, appear preferably civs with the art style of Arabic Empires, if available.

Almost, but I have some counter examples:
-Australia and Aboriginals
-South American Indians and modern South American countries (Bolivia, Brazilia, Chile, etc)
-Ottomans could spawn Balkan civs (Albania, Bulgaria, etc)
and many more :)

I know its a HUUUUUUGE job, and it is not of great priority, but it should be done in the future. Maybe I will start doing it myself.

THX for doing the Queendom stuff.

Hi Maska ! The french translation is complete against 1.2 + hotfix. You can download it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/369241/civMegaPack_1.2HF_fr_FR.zip

If you have some difficulties to merge it, just send me the files you are working on and i'll merge it myself with your working revision.

Now, i'll try to keep up with the main mod translation as Vokarya gave me a lot of work with that new strategy file ^^

Thanks you for this mod : )

Absolutely true. Be very careful with the use of the ram when playing this game (and any other with 3Gb limit). However, there are ways around these problems.

The specs of my pc are:

CPU: Inter Core i7 960@3.20GHz - 3.20 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB DDR3
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Top

Even with this pretty good system (except for the graphics card, which although very good, it's old), you may have MAFs in Civ4. However, there are ways around these problems mostly:

Spoiler :
1 - Always have the pc in good maintenance condition:

- Make weekly cleaning of windows registry and unnecessary files. (Ccleaner, Argente Utilities)

- Defragmentation of the hard drives regularly. (I use MyDefrag)

- Not having large files on the desktop or the recycle bin full. This consumes computer resources. The best is only have shortcuts on the desktop. On my desktop I have only a shortcut to a folder. In that folder I have all the shortcuts I need.

- Clean the Downloads folder regularly.

- Make a complete physical cleaning of pc at least three times a year.

- Not having installed programs that you never use.

- Do not use antivirus or other programs in the background while you play.

- Have all programs except the Antivirus disabled in the Windows Start (that if eat a lot of resources). Do not allow any program to start with Windows, except the Antivirus and little else.

- Not having many mods installed that do not use in the game and not having full of old games the Saves folder.

- Do not install the games in the default path, if possible, if not on other own hard disk or partition. With this, the hard disk of the operating system will be less crowded, and avoid the damn Control User Accounts, which can be disabled, as this can cause problems in many games. I have three partitions on a disk of 2 TB. One for the operating system and not very heavy programs. Other partition for games, and a different partition as storage.

2 - Useful external programs:

- Game Booster: Disable all non-essential processes of Windows while playing, and any other process not useful for the game, which releases a lot of ram.

- CleanMem: You can program every few minutes to clear the ram memory used by unnecessary processes, and clean and recover accumulated remnants of ram.

- Use over the .exe file of BTS, the 4gbpatch program, which makes the 32-bit applications accept almost 4 GB of ram instead almost 3 GB. This is very important. (x64 operating systems only). Is important remember have a copy of the original exe.

- Use ReadyBoost. A utility of Windows Vista and Windows 7 (in this last works best). Allows use a usb pen empty (in exFAT format, preferably), using all the space of this as cache memory (in my case 15GB). This is very useful to prevent overflows of ram that cause MAFs.
Forcing myself to follow these practices, my experience with all games has improved exponentially in the last years. I previously had MAFs often, but now, I have not had any MAFs in at least two years. I have friends with better computers than mine, but as they are very careless, they have many more problems than me.

I can play with 40 civilizations in Huge maps without problems, although in advanced eras, the turns are slow. My current game started in a Huge map with 35 civilizations, but because of Revolutions mod, now there are 43. I'm in the modern era, and I have not had any MAF. This last game is using all my mods, at a very advanced era, only consumes 1,811,956 of ram. And the limit was almost 4GB. I usually watch movies and series via Internet while I play, in another monitor, and I have no problems with my pc resources.

But one thing is certain, a user who does not know how to use well the pc, an older computer, or a computer with little or no maintenance, with an windows start full of ghost applications and especially 32 bits operating systems, have to be very careful with MAFs.

In brief, you're absolutely right, but if you are careful and know what to do, these failures can be avoided. :)

In response to the area I highlighted. If Civ IV .exe in your Task Manager exceeds 2.4 GB ( "only consumes 1,811,956 of ram" = 1.8GB of ram usage) the probability of MAF increases greatly. If it exceeds 2.6GB it Will MAF mid game, if it hits 2.8GB it will MAF early game. Even with all these steps Maska has posted for keeping your PC running smooth. The Civ IV engine is a 32 bit single thread engine It has a Graphical Load Limit.

Now there are 2 things that will help. Use Both of koshlings Graphics options, Viewports and Graphical paging. But If you put more than 48 Custom Civs in your game even these can be overloaded. And if you only use 1 of koshlings BUG Options It Will Be overloaded.

C2C has ran head long into this issue. Zappara ran into it back in the RoM heydays when the RoM Mega Civ pack was introduced.

SO I put out this Warning. Using/Having the Mega Civ pack is Great but Don't get carried away and try to use more than 48. I've warned you.

JosEPh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom