Nationalities

Benderino

Loyal American Democrat
Since I'm on a roll today, I thought I'd pose this query:

If my friend was born in Italy, while his parents were on a trip there from the states (they were there for about 2 years or so), is he an American or Italian? Let me also add that both his parents are 100% (or near it) German, and don't haveany Italian blood, however, they were born in America, and presumably so were their parents. He has American citizenship.

A difficult question... My great grandfather was born in Baku while his parents were going from Lithuenia to Israel.

I'd say he's American considering he's spent most of his life there. Most caucasians in America are like the mutts of Europe anyway.

If he has American citizenship, he is American. However, he might also be an Italian citizen by nature of being born there. You'd have to ask Italy about that one.

I would say that his ethnicity is German though.

I believe he is a citizen of both countries until he is 18, then he must decide which one to "keep".

Ahhhh, I see. So ethnicity is in the blood line, while nationality is considered where you hold citizenship? That makes sense, but what if he has dual citizenship, especially considering his birth place was not America?

I didn't use the term "nationality" because I think that different people will give you different opinions as to what it means.

Different countries have different rules as to citizenship. Some do not allow dual citizenship. Some will consider you a citizen of their country if you were born there, no matter what. Some, like zorven said, will make you declare on reaching age of majority.

AFAIK, a person is considered to be a citizen of the USA, only if he or she was born in USA; and it doesn't matter whether he lived all his life long here or not.
I might be wrong.
The citizenship of italy is much easier to get - afaik 10 years of living in this state is quite enough.
To my mind the person you're talking about is 100% German by nation

Ah, that's probably it. For instance, I can hold a dual citizenship with Ireland because my grandmother came from there and was born there. Maybe Israel too because I knos they consider all (displaced) Jews to be Israeli as soon as they go there, not that I'm displaced, though.

EDIT: This was in response to Dralix

Originally posted by Bifrost
AFAIK, a person is considered to be a citizen of the USA, only if he or she was born in USA; and it doesn't matter whether he lived all his life long here or not.
I might be wrong.
The citizenship of italy is much easier to get - afaik 10 years of living in this state is quite enough.
To my mind the person you're talking about is 100% German by nation

German ethnicity, but his parents are both American nationality because they were both born here, and I think so were their parents.

Bitfrost, if your parent(s) are American, then it doesn't matter where you were born, you are an American citizen. And, if you are born on US soil, you are a citizen..period.

AFAIK, a person is considered to be a citizen of the USA, only if he or she was born in USA

Or if they are "naturalized" meaning they went through a process with the INS to become a citizen.

I might be wrong.

You are wrong.

I'm an American citizen.

My mother is American and my father Canadian. I was born in Canada and when I turned 18 I had to sign up for selective service to retain my American citizenship.

So as of now I have dual citizenship. As I've had for all of my life.

I did live and work in the US for two and a half years, but I've spent the rest of my life in Newfoundland...except for 7 months in New Brunswick.

If a child is born overseas to American parents, it automatically becomes a United States Citizen.

Originally posted by CornMaster

You are wrong.

I'm an American citizen.

My mother is American and my father Canadian. I was born in Canada and when I turned 18 I had to sign up for selective service to retain my American citizenship.

So as of now I have dual citizenship. As I've had for all of my life.

I did live and work in the US for two and a half years, but I've spent the rest of my life in Newfoundland...except for 7 months in New Brunswick.

I was under the impression that the US did not recognize dual citizenship, which always confused me because I've known of people who were dual US-Canadian citizens. I assumed they were born in the US and then were granted Canadian citizens. I have also been told that in order to obtain US citizenship I would have to denounce my Canadian citizenship (both my parents are Canadian citizens, I live and work in the US, my wife is US citizen). Others have told me this is not true.

I am just :confused:

You are asking about nationalities.....then..he's italian because he was born in italy and he is a us citizen because his parents are

Here you have a choice of nationalities. A man came around the while ago to get me to fill out a form about voting registration and when it came to the nationality part I was unsure what to put and he told me that I could pick either Irish, British or Northern Irish (It was a while ago, I'm not sure about the third choice.) So obviously I chose Irish. Also I have an Irish passport.

ok, he is German by the ethnisity, he is also an American citizen, because his parents were American, and he is probably an Italian citzen, as he was born in Italy. I have a simular friend, whos parents are Russian, but they moved to australia, and e was born there, then they moved to the US and he lived here for 12 years now. He is a Russian, an Australian and a US citizen, every country recognizes him as their citizen, and when he travels he uses the one that is more convinient for him.

Something tells me that the US only recognizes dual citizenships if it's a certain other nation. For one, I know that people can hold dual Israeli and American citizenships. I think it might depend on the country....or just how the American official feels that minute.

Top Bottom