Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
eugh! how can anyone bare to wiat that long, just to get your turn!

As i said, i loved how much expansion was slowed and terrain improvent is constricted. If we (i.e.you,or at least tell me how, sorry!)cut the world up into seperate maps, would that reduce the time bewteen turns?

slozenger said:
eugh! how can anyone bare to wiat that long, just to get your turn!

As i said, i loved how much expansion was slowed and terrain improvent is constricted. If we (i.e.you,or at least tell me how, sorry!)cut the world up into seperate maps, would that reduce the time bewteen turns?

Yes it would.

You could also exclude some of the civs: this wouldn't require any cut

ah i might just do that... my first attemt i just turned all but america into sea.. sadly i forgot to remove the civ's and suddenly we were packed like sardines!

Rhye, I think making every civ religious created a bug with Golden Ages.

As Austria (Militaristic Industrious) I built Leonardo's (Militaristic) and Eiffel Tower (Industrious) but I didn't get a Golden Age. I think it's because every civ is "Religious" by the editor's standards. I think it could be fixed by making every wonder trigger GA for Religious civs.

Here's my big list of Civ Balance:

Overpowered:
Persia
Arabia
Portugal

Persia is always among the top five civs from the beginning to the end. They should be a strong ancient power, but begin to fall back after the late ancient age. Portugal almost always ends up outdoing Spain, and I've even seen it extend into France. They also tend to do well because some of the Arabia has a beautiful site for Mecca, and it also gets pretty much all of the Islamic wonders. It also has a scout and plentiful huts, so it almost always gets an extra city to start. These combined factors make it fairly formidable.

Just right:
France
Austria
Scandinavia
Rome
Netherlands
Russia
Israel
Carthage
Zulu
Ethiopia
Babylon
Mongols
Japan
Korea
Aztecs
Iroquois
Incas

These civs are all fairly well balanced. However, I have a few criticisms. The Scandinavians tend to have roughly the right amount of power, but I think it would be better if their power was shifted earlier in the tech tree. They should peak in the early middle ages. However, it usually takes them a while to fill up the Scandinavian peninsula, so their advantage is later on in the game than it should be. Also, Babylon remains powerful for a while longer than it should. It should begin fighting an uphill battle by the late ancient age. Lastly, the Mongols seem to do a little too well. I've seen them enter the industrial age at the same time as the tech leaders. They should grow large and they should be pretty formidable in the Middle Ages, but they should fall behind midway through the second era.

However, most is really good here. France, Russia, and Austria can all sometimes dominate a game and sometimes do only average. The Aztecs, Iroquois, Incas, Ethiopians, and Zulus are powered about right as well. They're somewhat crippled, but not total pushovers. Israel, Korea, and the Netherlands are all capable of doing well, but generally don't, which is good.

Need a little boost
England
Germany
America
Ottomans
Byzantines

England, Germany, and America should all be top-tier civs, and unfortunately, they often aren't. Germany is pretty weak in comparison to its neighbor, France. IMO they should be about even. Just a tiny boost would help them a lot. England can do well if it makes it to the industrial age safely, (it gets some new resources then) but it's often too far behind by that time. England needs some help before then. Real life England was probably the single most powerful civ on Earth for several centuries, starting in 1588, when they defeated the Spanish Armada. I think some earlier boosts would let England be as powerful as they should be. America is about the right size, but it's generally too far behind by the time it's discovered, and it can never really recover to build the Statue of Liberty. I think they should be boosted not in sheilds or food, but in trade. They grow big enough, but they fall behind in tech. They should be able to make a better comeback. Lastly, the Byzantines and Ottomans basically weaken each other. I'm beginning to agree that one of them has to be removed. There just isn't enough space. But if we have them both, they have to be helped a little.

Underpowered:
India
Maya
Spain
China
Greece
Egypt

The Maya stand out as the single most hopeless civ in the game. In my three most recent games, they've never had more than two cities by the time the Americas were discovered. They certainly shouldn't build a big empire, but right now they're pretty much pointless. The Aztecs generally grow to three times their size and often beat up on them. It's just not fair.

India and Spain should do fairly well sometimes. But they don't even come close. India should grow large and have a high population. But in almost every game I see the Ethiopians and the Zulus surpass them in population. Make the Sacred River wonder more powerful, or give them a cow to start or something. Spain is also too weak. I have seen several games where they don't establish a single colony(!). They should establish more colonies than any other European civ. They fall behind because Portugal always takes the Iberian goody huts with its scout and out-expands Spain.

China and Greece should be better than they are right now. In RoC China was too good. Now I think they aren't good enough. They're always behind in tech. Greece, too, is way too weak for their real life power. I think it's mostly because the Byzantines crowd them too much. Generally the Byzantines found Adrianople to the north of Greece, so Greece can't have a connected empire of more than two cities.

Lastly, Egypt is always weak. They should be weak beyond the ancient age, but as it is, they're not even powerful in the ancient age. I think the Pyramids should be fairly cheap, so that they're the first wonder built more often than not. That would help Egypt a little. Also, it couldn't hurt to give them a little more food and sheilds.

Can I give you a suggestion?

Why don't you get ride of Catherine The Great/Russian Leader (or whatever her names is) to someone a bit more approriate? Why not Lenin, I am sure I saw his leaderhead somewhere in this forum....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=72819

I think it would suit the russian leadership a bit more...

edit: Spelling mistake

Mr.Communist said:
Can I give you a suggestion?

Why don't you get ride of Catherine The Great/Russian Leader (or whatever her names is) to someone a bit more approriate? Why not Lenin, I am sure I saw his leaderhead somewhere in this forum....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=72819

I think it would suit the russian leadership a bit more...

edit: Spelling mistake

Let me see....

ah, now I remember.

I agree with the fact that Lenin would suit best, but I don't like the rendering of the face. It hasn't a good morphing and if I put it as a mandatory download, I'm not sure everybody would agree.
But you can still use it on your own: modding the mod is pretty easy

Jaguar said:
Here's my big list of Civ Balance:

Overpowered:
Persia
Arabia
Portugal

My experience of Civ balance is slightly different. This is based on play at the recommended(?) EMPEROR setting. Agree with Persia and Arabia, but I don't think Arabia is that far off. Don't agree with Portugal on this list, maybe when compared with Spain but not compared with Superpower France or England. Portugal normally only gets 3 cities, 2 in Iberia and one in North Africa.

Jaguar said:
Just right:
France
Austria
Scandinavia
Rome
Netherlands
Russia
Israel
Carthage
Zulu
Ethiopia
Babylon
Mongols
Japan
Korea
Aztecs
Iroquois
Incas

Certainly don't agree with France or Austria in this list but for different reasons. I have NEVER seen France as anything other than a superpower, overteched and with too much gold. At least 6 cities and very powerful. Austria on the otherhand is a pitiful little Civ. It has no chance in the Tech race and rarely expands beyond two cities because of its position between Byzantium and Germany. All the others I agree with.

Jaguar said:
Need a little boost
England
Germany
America
Ottomans
Byzantines

Germany definitely needs a boost but I don't agree with the rest. America and England CERTAINLY don't need a boost. England is regularly a great power and now America has the second great library it is an enormous superpower in the end game. I have seen America occupy all of North America and most of Latin America in one game. Ottomans are about right but maybe a little boost is fine. If the Byzantines are boosted anymore the Greeks will never develop beyond two cities.

Jaguar said:
Underpowered:
India
Maya
Spain
China
Greece
Egypt
Agree, but Spain isn't that bad, maybe only a little boost.
This is based on playing RoCX 0.72 and 0.5. Nice idea, Jaguar. :)

Okay, now Rhye, are you still not convinced that Byzantium only serves to weaken more deserving civs (including the three other civs that represent Byz in different eras)?
About England, I dunno about 0.72 but in my previous game as England (something like 0.50) I had a very hard time colonizing (in Australia mostly) and if I wouldn't have rushed Settlers and Musketmen all the time I wouldn't stand a chance. But I had so much money that I could have easily rushed them all.
And playing Greece now I really feel how the Byzantines are getting in the way of my power. I closely avoided war with them a couple times and eventually I think I will just switch to a wartime gov't and invade them to get rid of the irritation.

I did not mention this until now: Byzantines were useful in assigning religious-wonders.
Now a trait owned by 1 civ has 1 only wonder, a trait shared by 2 civs has 1 wonder (example: Conficianism), a trait shared by 3 civs has 2 wonders (Zeus, Artemis).
Removing Byzantines forces me to remove a Greek wonder or to add an Eastern one.

Well considering the Greeks and Romans are among the greatest/grandest/most influential civilizations in the game, I would say it's fine to give them a bit more wonders than other nations get. Maybe that way we can see something at least slightly resembling the endeavors of Caeser or Alexander.

Thanks, Asclepius. Part of the reason I posted that list was so that other people would chime in. From my experience, that list is accurate, but it's quite possible that there are some flukes.

France could be moved to the Overpowered list. I've seen them build an empire that stretched from Portugal to the Caucasus. They certainly need to be better balanced in comparison to Germany and Spain, who are both considerably weaker.

X=166 Y=52

This site in Japan is by far the best city site in the game. Two rice, two fish, a silk, an iron, and a whale. Just too much. I don't think Japan itself is overpowered, but that particular city site is a little too good. I'd just move one of its bonus resources to somewhere else in Japan.

Internet is repaired!

Rhye DEF deserves a job with Firaxis, IMHO! ANYONE who built a mod as excellent as this deserves it.

As to the mod, I finally DLed it and am playin as Japan! WWII, here I come!

Hello,

well, the Byzantines are always a problem in epic games, as they are an interlinked culture and not based on one single peoples or culture, but on a mixture of folks and cultures. The only real solution would be a hardcoded one of Firaxis that allows that parts of a civilization can separate and form their own civilization. As long as this dont happen, I would just extinct the Byzantinians.

yours
Ruediger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom