Football Thread No. 9

On topic, Wigan. WTF?

I can't believe how well they are playing. The new Barcelona, I'd suggest, except Wigan would have beaten Chelsea except for two offside goals and an Ivanovic punch which got missed by the ref.

Any predictions for tomorrow night? I can't watch, which is a wind-up. Not sure I can bring myself to follow text updates online - it's just far too painful in any important game.

@pesgores, as I said yesterday you guys showed to be a very good team, your supporters were top class as well, at least they were so while being in Bilbao. I wiss you good luck in the future and I hope we face again in a europa league or champions league, who knows.
Yesterday Athletic Club deserved to win, however I think that you should have killed the leg in José Alvalade, where you were better and after watching the match a 3-1 or 4-1 would not have surprised me.

Well I was very sad. Congratulations on going through, I have definitely gained some simpathy for Athletic. That late Llorente goal felt like getting stabbed. Now I hope you fight in Bucharest and beat Patético. I am still very aziado.

Have you people ever heard of a bus? No need to walk.
The Europa League is a bit like the Olympic Football Tournament. Everyone who's not in it thinks it's rubbish. For the teams and fans playing in it, it is interesting to play other sides than the national ones. Of course, the English are the exception to the rule and their fixation on themselves may very well be a reason for their poor national performance.
Juventus, Liverpool, Inter, Real Madrid, Feyenoord, Bayern Munich have all won the UEFA Cup; Manchester United, Arsenal, Rangers, Barcelona, Anderlecht, Milan, and again bayern have won the CWC. Hardly small clubs in either one. But by siphoning them off into the mega-expanded Champions League they deprived the smaller competitions of their relative value.
mitsho said:
However, the reform thoughts for the Champions League goes the other way. Make it a 64 team tournament and lose the Europa League completely. I really hope they don't. But what else can you do? The problem with the CL is a) that it's always the same teams and b) that the group stage is long drawn out with not much to lose which makes the last round a joke. The problem with the Europa league is that a) there isn't enough money, b) the group stage again and c) that CL 3rd placed teams can enter... I don't think the Thursday date is a problem, after all you then play on Sunday at the home league, which is no difference from Wednesday-Saturday or Tuesday-Friday...
Merge the two competitions? CONMEBOL were forced to start the Copa Conmebol and later the Sudamericana and now the magnificent example of the UEFA Cup that was shown off as great to compete is now scrappable? Why am I not surprised at UEFA's/FIFA's duplicity?
As a long suffering (though not recently) Fulham supporter , I can definitely confirm that the Europa League run of 2 years ago was one of the greatest (extended) sporting moments of my life . I was gutted when they got knocked out this year .

Football (see , I didn't call it soccer) would be foolish to ignore the fans of the smaller sides.
'Is' not 'would be'. But they'll wake up once their accountants show them the graphs and explain to them the benefits of watching
One other thing that doesn't help the Uefa cup is that the third placed champions league teams drop into the competition halfway through and often then become favourites to win the competition even if they generally fail.
Only Rangers can manage to near-win it. :p
Torres has scored a hat-trick! :eek:
It was bound to happen sometime, especially since he's managed to score in an international match.
On topic, Wigan. WTF?

I can't believe how well they are playing. The new Barcelona, I'd suggest, except Wigan would have beaten Chelsea except for two offside goals and an Ivanovic punch which got missed by the ref.
Heh, the're terrible to stand up against. Just as they went up 3-0 I switched channels to check on the Everton and Arsenal games and I thought 'these sods will be 4-0 up at halftime if they carry on like this'. I switche back just to see the ball hitting the net!
Lambert Simnel said:
Any predictions for tomorrow night? I can't watch, which is a wind-up. Not sure I can bring myself to follow text updates online - it's just far too painful in any important game.
Wanna come over? It's merely a few thousand miles of plane travel. But the beer's on me.

Anyway, on the match: Anything can happen at derbies. Hell, we're going into liquidation (probably, perhaps not, but we're excluded from Europe as we don't have a license anyway) and we managed to put three past Sellik -then they put three past us today so never fear.

This same rule applies to the Cup final for you, Sir Lambert. Anything might happen there (you did lose 6-2 to them twelve years ago).

In Switzerland, Basel is finally finally totally without questions champion as well.

(It has been clear for about 4 weeks now, but both Lucerne, who could still get 2 points at the courts, as well as Sion, who could still get 36 points back at the courts, were in reach. Now they are distanced decisively which puts a close to a season that was advised as "the most competitive Swiss Championship", but ended with a bankrupt Xamax and its Chechen Mafia boss, a nearly bankrupt, but ultimately saved Servette with its Iranian Mafia boss, scandalous Sion with crazy "I-am-going-to-piss-off-FIFA-and-UEFA-big-time-on-my-on" CC president, the dissapointing Young Boys (yes, the team is named that way after the Old Boys) and a 18 point lead for Basel 5 rounds . So the season was way more about battles in court than on the field...)

Yep. :p

Pangur Bán;11460514 said:
Stunned. :eek: Never thought I'd see a day when Porto won the Portuguese league. ;)

Quite unexpected this season though. But you can always count on that red club from Lisbon's ability to reach new heights of pathetic self-implosion. Braga also imploded: leaders 4 games ago, now 10 points away from 1st place. :eek:
Still, a win's a win. :goodjob:

On unrelated news, 'Arry for Engl.. wait, Roy Hodgson? :huh:

Two hours away. I am really nervous about this game. Very glad it's at the Etihad though.

Arsenal have signed in Lukas Podolski from Köln for next season!
I have this mental picture of Trevor Brooking sitting in his office at the FA, laughing maniacally. :mwaha:
My name isn't Trevor Brooking, but how did you manage to get the rest so accurately?
So Man C beat Man U, who are favourites now?
ManSee after overcoming an 8-point deficit, but not by much. Remember al-Citeh have to face Newcastle yet.

Anyway, United looked tired and out of ideas. Ferguson, what the blazes was Valencia doing in the bench for so long? You played not to lose.

Hardly a a memorable game (the best part was Ferguson and Mancini clashing at the sideline), but a deserved win for City. It looked like a couple of Man Utd vs. Chelsea games of last season, only this time it was Man Utd who looked dominated, toothless and past it. Man City still has to win in Newcastle, but if they win the league then maybe Ferguson will come to accept that they'll never be the best team in Europe relying on a bunch of oldies (Giggs and Scholes were great players, but that's 'were' in the past tense) and on a bunch of youngsters that at the moment don't look like they'll match the careers of their illustrious predecessors.

P.S.: 8 points dropped in less than a month? Will someone ask Fergie a few questions?

P.P.S.: I'm not a fan of Mancini, and even though the past few weeks have more about their opponents bottling, well done nonetheless.

Man City dominated Man U IMO. I don't think Manchester United got a shot off. Toure is just an absolute beast in the middle of the park, fantastic player. I hope manchester city win it, I can't stand MAN U!

..oh Roy Hodgson? What are teh FA thinking?!

Man U had me worried for the first 5 minutes or so. Then City settled down and was quite powerful the rest of the way. There was one heart stopping moment near the end when I think Rooney had a chance, thank God for Hart's ability. (I was listening to it via BBC radio on my computer, so I didn't actually watch the game). So happy right now.

Porto are champions. :smug:

This year was a year when nobody played consistently good in Portugal... Porto grabbed points without being spectacular and sometimes they were very lucky or helped by the referee. Benfica plays good at home but away, they gave away too many points. Braga weren't the favourites but got 11 straight victories, unfortunately for them they dropped in the last 4 fixtures and their 3rd place place is now being attacked by... us, Sporting. <3

We started the season badly, losing the first few easy matches. Then, at Paços de Ferreira's ground, we came back from 0-2 and got our first victory. Untill November, we would win all matches. At Benfica's we lost. That marked the begining of a negative streak that would result in coach Domingos Paciência being fired on February, having lost too many points and being down to the 5th place on the League and being prematurely eliminated of the League Cup. That's when we hired Sá Pinto, our former player, to command the team. Thanks to him, we have recovered greatly in the League, now we have the chance to reach the 3rd place and a spot in the UCL qualifiers. We also made a great European run, barely losing to Athletic Club in the semifinals of the UEL, and there's also the Portuguese Cup final to win (although that one was Domingos' doing).

Top Bottom