Resource icon

MAKE YOUR OWN UNITS - FLICster Version 1.0.1 (build 18) now available! 2016-10-05

Originally posted by Dark Sheer
Ok, so I am not really evil ;) But Moeniir always thought that my continuous love for animation shop is evil :lol:

Evil? :) Animation shop is the purest of evil :flamedevi, but not you! At least, not too much :D

Tell you what, you keep giving me this great feedback, and i'll leave in FLC support until you tell me you don't need it anymore. Deal? As to your comments:

1) Duplicate frames. Great Idea. Officially on the list.

2) Save a frame. Another good idea. Code's practically written anyway, given the way I wrote the PCX code. Also on the list.

3) Pal files when exporting to Multi-FLC. Whoops! :blush: I thought I fixed that... it was on my pre-release punchlist, don't know how I forgot. Will definately do. I think I will soon build a minor release (like 1.01) with a few tweaks and bug fixes, prior to a new feature release. Sorry for the oversight. In the meanwhile, i'm sure you already know to export the Civ3UnitFlc to PCX once to create the PAL files.

As to why I want to remove the multi-flc code... well, just too many places for problems to creep in. No biggie for a pro like yourself, but alot of chances for the rest of us to have problems :D As a software developer, I'd rather improve FLICster to meet all the needs of a unit animator directly. In the meanwhile, as I said... I won't take it away as long as it's still useful.

Sorry I can't look at your unit tonite. WinME (i know, don't say it) finally pushed me over the edge so I formatted my hard drive. Boy, did that feel good. I've installed Win2000 (should have done that a LONG time ago), and I'm still getting all my apps re-installed. now it's gotten late, and I gotta work in the AM.

Tommorow (monday) evening, I'll be installing Civ3 and my development environment, so I'll pull down your file then and see if I can figure it out. Or, if things are slow at the office tommorow (don't hold your breath!) mebbe I can check it out at work (yes, of course I have Civ3 & FLICster installed on my work pc!)

Will follow up soon.

Alright I got a problem im sure your already familier with dealing with and I wanted to know if you can help me. Like a fool a decided to start work on my Carrier (WWII Carrier) without reading the instructions or thread for flicster. So I modified my entire carrier unit in Animation Shop. Well I get done and then I find out that I have to split the file ala flicster and so do it, then copy all my finished frames into their proper domains ie Carrier_S, Carrier_SE, yada yada yada. Then when I merge I discover all of my directions besides the first one (SW) are distorted with a blue or grey background and an inverted Carrier. Fun, I know. So I read up a little (me and my short attention span) and try and cancel optimization in AS, re-save with nearest color on and the loaded pallet from the original time I split it with Flicster 022 and instead I get a white background with an inverted carrier. IS there someway you can help me figuer out how to rework this to get the animation finished? I just dont wanna have to do this all again. Thanks.

Scipio,

I think you should attach a copy of your flc for at least one direction so someone can take a look at them ;) From what you have said, I believe the trouble lies with the palette. Don't worry, I get into lots of trouble with the palette when I first doing the animation too. :D If you attach the flc here I will try to take a look at them for ya. I also like to help you so you can finish the Carrier faster and start working on some of the other request ;)

Oh, I am glad you like the final product on the launcher :king:

Thanks dark sheer ive attached the S and SW versions.

The SW version runs fine. The S version is where it starts to go invert. I didn't change the pallets and only used colors already in the frame but i guess the optimization screwed it up.

hmmm...your flc files look perfectly alright to me when I load them into Animation Shop ??:confused:

Other than the 200 frame count (you need to go to frame properties and change frame delay to 1/100 of a second before you save to remove these extra frames) the color of the flc looks quite standard to me ??:confused:

Anyway, I have removed the extra frame for you and resave the files using the default palette for carrier and rezip the files and attach here. Try to take a look at them again?

I don't have time to d/l the files now, since I'm at work, but...
DS, if you only viewed his FLCs in AS, you wouldn't see a color problem, since AS loads the palette from the FLC. The problem occurs when he merges the two directions using flicster... FLICster only uses the palette from the SW flc... all the other directions are supposed to have the same palette. If they don't, then chaos ensues (or at least, the color looks wrong :) )

I'm not sure what the best solution is. Re-opening the bad directional FLCs (SE, E, NE, etc) in AS will use the 'optimized' palette stored in the flc, and you could try saving it using the PAL file created by FLICster (export the original Civ3 file to PCX to get the pal) as DS did for your S animation.... This should get you close. Once you re-merge, if you have slight issues with shading or civ-specific colors, try exporting to PCX and cleaning it up in PaintShop Pro. The big advantage to StoryBoard PCX format is that all frames in all directions share a single palette.

HTH...

Originally posted by Moeniir
Of course, this would all be easier if FLICster would import animated GIFs as you suggested. A few thoughts here. First, I thought GIFs were 256 color (actually 255, + transparency). Certainly easier to convert than 24 bit color. The real issue with GIFs is legal - I understand that the GIF scheme is copyrighted, and one must have a licence to write code that manipulates it. Now, don't get me wrong... I make my living as a programmer, and I don't care if others want to do the same; I just can't pay to licence something for a project I'm giving away :) . I'll look into it, mebbe they have a shareware licence available. FLICster could read AVIs, mebbe, depending on the encoding.

To come back to this, if you could implement GIF support it would be fine. Of course I understand that it may be impossible due to the licence issue.

You mentioned AVI support, would that be possible without the a licence similar to those for GIF? My point is, it would save a lot of work for me if flicster would read also a more common anim format. Then I could create the entire anim with my 3d rendering software. Currently I also create my anims in that way, but then I have to paste the single frames into a pcx storyboard with PhotoPaint - this costs a lot of time. With AVI or GIF support, I would need PhotoPaint only for palette operations and some optimizing.

However, your post helped me a lot, most of the anims for the M60 tank are finished and look good in flicster, I only have to test them now directly in the game...;)

Originally posted by BeBro

Then I could create the entire anim with my 3d rendering software. Currently I also create my anims in that way, but then I have to paste the single frames into a pcx storyboard with PhotoPaint - this costs a lot of time. With AVI or GIF support, I would need PhotoPaint only for palette operations and some optimizing.

I'll look into other formats, but to be honest, I really haven't started any new FLICster work yet, short of some planning. I've got a project deadline at work, and decided to rip out an entire code module and rewrite it from the ground up, so I've been a little brain-fried for more coding at nite. :)

About pasting the single frames into the PCX... does your software let you crank out a series of individual files? FLICster currently supports exporting to and importing from "Cels" which are individual PCX files for each frame of each directional animation. unless you want to rename your files, I'd need to add some kind of wizard or setup screen to let you pick any set of files for the animations, but the code changes would be minimal. Also, if PCX is inconvenient, I could code BMP support easily. Any other format, and I'll need to read a spec first :) since I'm not using any pre-written libraries for gfx i/o. Come to think of it, the windows API provides native jpg support since Win98, I think. In any format, all files would need to be the same size (in pixels) and use the same palette. The big problem would be palette resolution, but my prior post to DarkSheer and Scipio suggest a possibility. If this file-per-frame approach looks feasible, I could probably write some palette-fixing code ( or get angry trying ;) ).

At any rate, I can't promise any major new features in the next few weeks, but a minor new feature, like bmp support and support for other file names in Cel mode might be something I could do more quickly, if there's a real need/use for such things.

As always, thanks for the feedback. As I've said before, I haven't had the time or talent to try to create a unit myself, so I don't always recognize the best way to do something.

PS - If your 3d prog lets you export animated gifs or AVIs, could you use create the 8 anims for a unit, then use Animation shop to convert the Gifs/avis to FLC, then merge with flicster? Might require some tinkering, but the good news is the INI file that drives the multi-flc process is text based and editable. just a thought.

Unfortunatly im not able to join the files you gave me Dark Sheer with my other flc's, I think it may be the seperate number of frames per file now. Can I join the two files you gave me without an ini? I're read the readme but Im not sure if its touched this subject as the layout is a bit difficult. Thanks for your help, though Im not sure if the files I gave you have the extra frame on the end. I thought the flc's made by Flicster reduced the extra frame when its exported, but replaced it when it merged. Anyway, thanks again and i'll try using the pallet made by the export of pcx format frames. Do I have to change the canvas color when i resave in AS? the canvas color was white when i resaved with a loaded pallet from the exported CarrierDefault with Flicster 0.2.2 and the carrier was still invert but the background was now white. I know the recommendation is to export the frames into paint shop pro in pcx format then resave with the pallet made when you split the original file with 1.0.0, however I just love my AS to much. Besides the horrid optimization AS has it gives me the option to easily view my progress by simply hitting left and right back and forth. Modify my next frame based from my last which makes for some great frame by frame work on existing units for a more fluid look. Seeing the animation in motion helps me modify it more. I just dont get that option with pcx a button away. If only AS had been designed with as many options as PSP.

Ummm...I am not sure if you need to replace the color before resave but if I open the file individually and see the right color then I think you do not need to replace the color. Just try to resave using the correct palette.

Ah, YES!! Another lover of Animation Shop! Woohoo!! :lol: ;) As to the frame count, as long as the delay in AS is not 1 when AS save the file it will create 1 frame for each 1/100 of a sec. :p

Hi I'm newbie here. I d/l and try flicster because i want to try to make my own unit (a mech). i've try readme.txt but found no information i want to know so here is my question.
1. i like function that export animation into one large pcx with many cell. and i edit graphic in this file. how can i put it back into flc

2. when start a new file can i get a blank large pcx with cel

3. what can i use to open .fxm

thanks ahead for your help

Zaku -

To answer your questions in revers:

3) You use FLICster to open the FXM.

FXM is short for FLICster export manifest. It's basically a file that stores information about the animation that can't be stored in the pcx file. So, once you edit the PCX, you open the FXM file with FLICster, and the choose the View tab. You will be viewing the PCX file, animated. All three of the PCX export options (Storyboard=1 file, filmstrip = 8 files, cel= many files) create a single FXM file containing the format name (StoryBoard, etc). This FXM file ties the PCX(s) back to an animation.

2) To start with a new PCX, just choose file | new... from the menu. The dialog that appears will let you select your frame size and the number of frames per direction. When all your options are set, you just click Export (oops, that should have been labeled create I suppose).

1) To turn your edited PCX into a FLC, open the FXM as in Question #3 above, then go to the Export tab. Make sure the export format is "Civ3 Unit Flc", and click the export button at the bottom of the window. The new .FLC will be placed in the same location as the FXM you opened.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by heardie
SO my unit is pretty much stuffed:goodjob: :crazyeyes

Umm, :confused: I don't follow you.

HOWEVER... If you're referring to your FLC that crashes Civ3, I finally got that one figured out! The standard flc format has a Speed field in the header which is the delay in ms between frames. The civ3 version of the flc format has another field, Anim_Time, in the custom header. The info I had said that Anim_time was unused, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anim_time should be equal to frames_per_anim * speed. Once I corrected this in your animation, it works fine in game. I'm attaching a copy.

This is a bug in the FXM->FLC export code. I will try to put out a patch in the next few days. In the meantime: After creating a Civ3Unit FLC from your pcx file(s), open the newly created FLC (becomes first item on MRU file list after exporting) with FLICster, and look for "Animation Time" on the info tab. If the value is 0 ( or not equal to the value of "frames per direction" x the value of "speed") then fix it like this:
* export to Multi-flc format
* open the INI file (the one in ...\art\units\unitname\FLICster)
* edit the anim_time=0 line, enter the correct value
* now open the ini file with FLICster and export to Civ3Unit Flc again.

Sorry for the inconvenience. As I said, I'll try to get a patch release posthaste.

Attachments

• colonist run.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 210
Originally posted by Moeniir

Umm, :confused: I don't follow you.

Sorry, only had a few secs to post that message :) If only I spent less time on smilies....
HOWEVER... If you're referring to your FLC that crashes Civ3, I finally got that one figured out! The standard flc format has a Speed field in the header which is the delay in ms between frames. The civ3 version of the flc format has another field, Anim_Time, in the custom header. The info I had said that Anim_time was unused, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anim_time should be equal to frames_per_anim * speed. Once I corrected this in your animation, it works fine in game. I'm attaching a copy.
Thanks
....Snip....
Sorry for the inconvenience. As I said, I'll try to get a patch release posthaste.
Inconvenience...ha! Imagine how inconvient it would be if you never mdae this utility? Trust me, its not inconvient

"Moeniir for hall of fame :egypt: "

Well, couldn't stand it anymore. I've built a new version to patch a couple of bugs. From the changelog in the readme:

This one is just a quick bugfix release:
* Fixed a bug that caused some units created from PCX exports to crash civ3. The Anim_time in the FlicAnimHeader was being written as a 0.

* Added code when opening a FLC to check for the condition listed above. If a FLC is opened with an invalid FlicAnimHeader value, FLICster will offer to fix it on the spot. You can accept, decline, or cancel opening the unit.

* Added .PAL file creation when exporting to Multi-Flc format (FLICster 0.2.2 compat). This was supposed to be in the original release, and was overlooked. Note that only the actual palette is exported; the "alpha" palette available for PCX mode isn't created, since it doesn't work when using Animation shop to export a frame to PaintShop Pro. I'm looking into a way to address this in a future release.

I decided not to build a new full install this time. If you already have v1.0.0, grab the patch below, and just replace the old .exe with the new one. If you don't have FLICster yet, Grab the full installer from the start of this thread, and then apply this patch.

note If you have built any units with v1.0.0 using FXM/PCX mode, they could have a bug that crashes Civ3. To check, just open your completed unit in FLICster. It will check automatically, warn you if the condition exists, and offer to automatically fix it. (see Items 1 & 2 above)

Attachments

• flicster1.0.1.18_patch.zip
    119.5 KB · Views: 10,516
Thanks Moeniir

I current work on to get my Unit Done (it is hard just to get one direction look Ok but i do have to create 7 More + Animation) but i not give up Yet.

Hey Moeniir,

Take a look at what I have got!! I think you will love it! :D

I did it with AS and Inside UO. ;) Just a test and it seems this will work :lol:

Attachments

• ettinrun.zip
    105.7 KB · Views: 286
Thanks Moeniir. It's all good.

Check this low-quality gif out

Attachments

• anim.gif
    anim.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 728
Top Bottom