Pantheon's founded so early?

AlextheGr8

Warlord
I'm playing a custom game, epic speed, and yet a pantheon is founded after turn 25? How is this possible? It seems half the AI magically found a pantheon then a religion leaving me unable to catch up. What makes them do so this quickly?

Either some of them have settled next to a faith-based Natural Wonder, have found some faith-based ruins, or are The Celts.

Honestly I find early Pantheons are the norm on long game speeds. Someone inevitably finds a Faith ruin, or, more likely, everybody in the world except me inevitably finds a Faith ruin. x.x

The Celts and Ethiopia are pretty much guaranteed to get the Faith machine rolling earliest, what with passive Faith generation from turn 1 and that Monument that gives 2 Faith. Thankfully their start biases dissuade them sniping that sweet, sweet Desert Folklore/Dance of the Aurora, but then the sheer number of Pantheons that get started and push back me acquiring my own makes me tempted to turn off Ancient Ruins entirely. Gratefully now BNW makes Piety available from the start and +2 faith from each half-cost Shrine sounds delicious.

The ruins must explain it, to be honest I always disabled them until this expansion. Thanks guys!

Turn 25 on epic sounds pretty normal. If the civ is a faith civilization, they'll often get a pantheon super early. I've seen Ethiopia get a religion on turn 22 on standard speed.

exploring early and finding 1 or 2 faith city states will get u a early pantheon. 8 faith if ur the first to get there or 4 if ur the second. combined with a shrine and thats enuf to get there first ( standard speed)

Sounds like Piety start (with Monument first) for turn 25. Also those first to greet a religious city state along with Maya & Ethiopia can found a pantheon that early even without Piety.

If the Celts are in the game, they will either found a Pantheon on turn 5 or turn 10 depending upon weather their capital had enough forest to qualify for +2.

Yeah, there's not much to add. 2 city states met as the first civ and you get a pantheon; ruins always yield enough to get a pantheon; some civs get early faith; kill 2 barbarians, destroy their camp and you get a pantheon.
In my 3rd BNW game I've discovered that it's possible to run out of possible beliefs and even though religions still can be established, further civilizations cannot get their own pantheons, neither get prophets before industrial era.

On one of my marathon games, celts founded a pantheon on turn 8. When my scouts eventually found them, they had 2 faith cities right on top of their capital, and 2 other faith cities close by. My earliest on a marathon game with no natural wonder or faith race is turn 18 with a ruin. My earliest is turn 6, started with Mt Sinai within sight, moved next to it and pooped a pantheon.

Top Bottom