New IGN preview

Bismarck, although the art-style looks very soviet propaganda-ish.

After this article I am even more hyped avbout Civ5, the only thing that sucks is that Greece, Babylon and Persia won't eb all in vanilla. If the Vikings are in we probably won't even have Persia and again the middle-east is underrepresented. The tech traties are also a little letdown, I hoped you could coordinate your research in a certain technology. Would make more sense and be better replacement for tech trading, ah well...
The most important thing from the preview for me is new info about city states. We now know there'll be Rio de Janeiro, Budapest (both curious choices if you ask me) and Venice. Budapest will provide silk and/or a culture bonus if you ally with them.
It also looks like you'll need to make investments and compete for the affection for a city state and complete assignments from them since each city states can only be allied to one major civ. Diplomacy already looks very promising.

I'm starting to think Greece won't be in as one nation, probably just a bunch of city states, like Sparta and Athens, with the Greek civ being Macedon, since Alexander is Macedonian, and he's really the first pick for a Greek leader. The only problem with this layout is that when Greece was actually around, they did try to conquer stuff, while city-states in game don't. But I am 99.99999% sure that the Greeks will be in in some shape or form.

Greece was as important as Rome in the ancient times, they can't leave it out as a civilization or a lot of people will be pissed.

Firaxis could have avoided this 'problem' by going to 20 civs rather then 18. Since they went for 1 leader/civ (in vanilla at least) that should have spared them enough time to do that. Now one of Greece, Spain and Persia will be left out which is an insult if you ask me. Spain was left out of CIV3 according to the list which is absolutely preposterous. Empire where the sun never set? Nr1 colonial power in the world. South-America (-brazil) speaks Spanish. Can't see how they would leave them out. Greece is just as ridicilous. True they weren't a 'nation' in BC-times but they have ment more for Western Civ of today then any other culture. Persia will 99% sure be left out since they included Ottoman Empire. Really undeserved imo but ok Turkey is still a nation nowaday with a lot of potential buyers i suppose... Babylon WILL NOT be in 1% chance they could have been with 20 but now they will not. As to the Vikings i would be really upset if they were in Vanilla. A bunch of raiders in leather and weaponed with axes over Spain or Greece?? That's got to be the best joke of the century so far!! Still we did see the longships / vikings in the trailer so that's a big clue there... We'll have to wait and see. :confused: perhaps the :viking: will surpise us all and raid everything to the Spanish (or Greek) coast if you now what i mean!

i am quite satisfied with this article. i doubted the old articles but this one really seems like a test of the game. and most of the changes are welcome by me. i will comment on some issues in Shiggs713's post
I'll paraphrase new things we learned...

1) Apparently its going to be as deep as the long time fans expect it to be.
2) No more end of turn button, instead a "choose production" button for individual cities
3) the interface is going to be like civRev's
4) Golden ages are still here
5) cities automatically defend themselves, and their effectiveness is based on buildings or technologies, though you still can garrison 1 unit in the city if you want to.
6) a few powerful units will be able to own many many weaker units for sure. No more spear defeats tank.
7)adjacent allied units can switch places
8)AI uses 4 subsystems to determine what it needs to do. At the lowest level, Tactical AI to decide what to do in the field of battle, then Operational AI, picks the battles to fight, and makes sure it has enough units to win those battles. Third is the Strategic AI, deciding where to build cities and what to do with them. Last is the Grand Strategic AI, that decides how it wants to try to win the game. It basically fans from the top down so the AI won't be nuking barbs or marching around its armies anymore just for the sake of it.
9) Katherine and Russia are in.
10) Elizabeth and England are in. Lizzy will try to dominate the seas.
11) AI leaders won't be very predictable. Their flavors will randomly adjust 2 levels, so if Napoleon is an 8 for conquest, then you may see him with a 6 or a 10 conquest flavor.
12) Every trait will be 100% unique to each leader
13) 3D environment for both LH's and their backgrounds. Flowing rivers ect.
14) the "tech sharing" is a 15% boost for both players for 20 turns, for an upfront cost for each
15) Only strategic resources are quantified. In IGN's example they said 1 iron resource could supply 5 iron based units. If you lost that iron, you can still have those units for and increased maintenance cost, but you won't be able to keep building them till you re-hook the resource.
16) the city states will give you more benefit to befriend them than to attack them.
17) no more culture bombs. Cities now expand one tile at a time, and usually you will be forced to work it because in coincides with population.
18)no more city defections
19) Rameses' and Egypt are in
20) Terrain features look different for africa, asia, america, and europe. For example the forest will look different for each region.
21) Shakespeare's Amphitheater is in as a world wonder.
22)Montezuma and Aztecs in for sure
23) cotton is a resource and you need "calendar" tech to see it
24) Oda is Japanese leader
25) Askia is Songhai leader
26) Suleiman is Turkish leader

maybe missed some things, but thats about it. Really great review, I'm even more excited now!

Leaders are ok for me, and i'm especially quite happy with Kanuni Sultan Suleyman. My comments

1) It seems so. I was pessimistic until this article, now i'm more optimistic. I hope it will be as we expect.
4) it should be. GPs should also be, i think it was confirmed in an article as well.
5) I still assume a garrison would not be able to defend against multi attacker units. It should count only as 1archer unit in civ4 maybe. So you should not leave cities alone with only the garrisons. if u loose outside the city in the field, u would probably loose the city afterwards.
6) good. this would make high levels harder. u shouldn't be able to stay in tech behind for a long time. in civ4, a good promoted longbowman could defend a city against rifle in some cases. sure a balance is required there. but civ5 should not nerf the importance of promotions. promotion should also be quite important. a veteran spear should be able to beat an inexperienced knight but should not be able to beat a cavalry (mounted rifles) even if it is inexperienced.
7) i really hope there should be a penalty for moving paralel in front of enemy. in old civs you even couldn't do that. there were movement rules. i can give more detail about that old rule, if anybody asks.
8-11) seems very good but i have to see it in action. i still think AI will be dumb in vanilla and will get better with patches/EPs.
12) i must see how it works. in civ4, it was good. let's say you wanted to follow a shrine economy. as there are be more religious leaders in the game, you wouldn't be the only guy in the game who would try for that style. and similarly if u wanted to follow a wonder economy (wonder spam and get more GPs), you wouldn't be the only IND guy in the game. So I mean, each leader had 20 friends who share 1 of his traits. That makes 20/51 (51 other leaders, except 3 missing combos), that roughly makes half of the leaders. That was a balancing factor in civ4.
14) tech sharing seems better than tech trading. It will require constant friendship, not a temporary trade for 1turn. so u wouldn't be able to get HBR from an AI and attack him with horses just later :) It would require more strategy.
15) goooood. this will require more land. Land is power. yes, i am glad civ5 will bring this. Small empres should not win the game. This is a nerf for turtling small empires. i hope there won't be any easy winning condition like civ4 cultural & religion wins.

yes and above these, i wonder many mroe issues. how will be the production? if u expand borders towards a wheat, then u will let the city grow to pop2 faster. but if u need a warrior quickly then what will u do? won't we have the chance to change the plot working? or do they change production style?
i heard that they would change teching style that science would come from pop not from commerce. any such big changes?

Folks,

Like many others, I cannot access games magazines from my work PC, so it would be much appreciated if the text could be C&Pd, and the screenshots posted as jpegs here.

A lot of 'confirmed' civs may just be city states.
I think the term 'confirmed' is used a tad bit too easy.

@Ralph: Here you go... no time for pics sorry :)

Spoiler :
US, March 8, 2010 - Last week we had the good fortune to visit Firaxis and get a firsthand look at Civilization V from several of the game's creators. Not counting the Colonization mod, this is the series first return to the PC after making the leap to the console and handheld platforms with Civilization Revolution. Some fans feared that the leaner (and loonier) style that Civ displayed on the consoles might bleed over into subsequent PC sequels. Based on the pre-alpha version we saw, that doesn't seem to be the case. There's a fine line between making a game easier and making it easier to play, of course, but Firaxis is committed to maintaining the depth the fans have come to expect.

The first suspicions of a market-driven compromise are usually generated by the dreaded "A" word, accessibility. While it's true that some game systems, like religion and espionage, have been removed, fears that Civilization Revolution on the console has dumbed down the gameplay of the PC sequel are unfounded. In the case of Civilization V, accessibility just means the developers want to make it easier to understand and manipulate the complexity within the game. Most of these are merely matters of convenience rather than cutting back and, with that in mind, it's clear that the interface for Civ Rev has definitely impacted the presentation in Civ V.

Basic commands and notifications have been simplified and pushed into the corners of the art deco interface. The few unit actions that players use all the time will be aligned on the lower left edge of the screen, but you can expand the list to include the whole range of possible actions. Small icons will pop up each turn to notify players of new events that might require attention and clicking on those icons will take players to the location in question. The idea is to give the player as much information they need without ever taking them out of the game itself.

The whole game has a very painted look.
Advisors are also making a return to counsel new players on particular aspects of the game but their overall tone will be much more serious than in previous versions of Civ. New players will also be saved from wasting time by having the "End turn" button transform into a "Choose production" button if a city happens to be sitting idle. Even with the streamlined interface, veteran players will still be comforted to see that the top line of the screen reveals the presence of the hardcore elements, tracking things like science and gold production, happiness, culture, resources, and even the time remaining on any Golden Ages.

One of the biggest changes to the game is the new one-unit-per-hex restriction. Previous Civ games have been dominated by the "stack of doom" where players create an unstoppable super unit by piling all of their units in a single square. That strategy is not available in Civ V, which should, the designers reason, pull combat away from the cities. Now when an invading army enters your territory, you'll want to send your spearmen and warriors and swordsmen out to fight them in the fields around your towns. Cities will automatically defend themselves now, and can benefit from increased defense based on certain structures or technologies, so you don't necessarily need to garrison a unit for defense but you can if you want to.

Because you're limited to just one unit per hex, battles have the potential to be much more tactical, both with regard to the placement of your units and geographical obstacles. We saw a few battles that highlighted the significance of the new system. In one, two groups of units were facing off against each other around a one-hex lake. An archer unit was able to fire at enemy units on the far side of the lake and stay protected from melee attack by two allied units on either side. In another battle, a small group of powerful units were able to hold off a much larger attacking army in a narrow mountain pass. Because the attacker could only bring one unit into the fight at a time, the defender was able to eliminate the numerical disadvantage.

It's all worth it once you start shooting flaming arrows at cities.
Civ fans are already very familiar with the terrain-based combat modifiers (crossing rivers, holding hills, etc.) and appropriate unit match ups. Adding in the additional burden of managing an army spread out over a large area just means doing it all on a different scale and making sure that your ranged units stay clear of melee. Fortunately, the game will allow adjacent allied units to swap positions, so you can keep fresh troops engaged with the enemy and rescue your ranged units from contact with melee fighters.

As fun as they are, battles are just the basic components of victory and without a clear direction you can win every fight and still lose the game. A lot of effort is being made to ensure that the AI in Civilization V behaves in a way that makes sense. As we watched a test game play out in front of us, AI programmer Ed Beach explained the way the AI uses subsystems to create and execute its strategies. At the lowest level, the tactical AI uses the forces at hand to win a battle on a local scale. One step up from that, the operational AI picks which battles to fight and makes sure that the necessary forces are available. Moving even higher, the strategic AI manages the empire as a whole, focusing on where to build cities and what to do with them.

At the top of the ladder is the grand strategic AI, which decides how to win the game. If the grand strategic AI decides to go for a conquest victory, the strategic AI will build the infrastructure needed to wage war and the operational and tactical AIs will choose and fight the battles. That way the tactical AI won't be fighting battles merely for the sake of fighting battles, but because those battles are relevant in the grand strategic AI's big picture. In the case of the conquest victory, the AI will be aiming to capture the other civ's capitals, which is all that's needed for a military victory this time.
It sounds kind of insane, but Firaxis is constantly running AI games in a test environment to get a better sense of the relationships between all these systems. The one we saw playing out had the Songhai starting out very close to the city-state of Rio de Janeiro. Askia, leader of the Songhai, is very conquest-oriented, so it's no surprise that he tends towards military action. His civilization immediately went into warrior-rush mode and he soon had six warriors heading off to capture Rio.

Unfortunately, along the way a few of the warriors were lost in an unexpected fight with barbarians. So now the AI has to decide whether the tactical AI can even win the fight against Rio and, if not, what other adjustments need to be made at the other levels. Each of those four levels also has a unique opportunity to set or be influenced by the AI's research and diplomacy goals, which requires even more flexibility and cooperation among the various subsystems.

The practical upshot to all this complexity is that you have an AI that keeps the detailed decisions in line with the overall objective -- winning the game. To add even more variety to the mix, each of the 18 leaders in the game will come with unique personalities based on "flavors." Flavors define a leader's preference for certain types of gameplay and, to a large extent, you'll be able to guess which way a particular leader will lean. Katherine has a high expansion flavor, so the Russian empire will have lots of cities. But she doesn't have a high flavor for city growth, so her cities will be much smaller than Gandhi's. Elizabeth has a very high naval warfare flavor, so her English empire will strive for control of the seas.

The hex map and one-unit restriction makes combat much more tactical.
It's important to note that this doesn't mean that the AI leaders are predictable, just that their flavors will tend to drive their gameplay in certain directions. There's a substantial random element as well, so you'll still never be quite sure. Imagine that Napoleon's conquest flavor is, by default, an 8 out of 10. Before the game begins that value will be adjusted by up to two points in either direction. So you might be playing against a Napoleon who is a 10 on conquest, or against one who is only a 6. Either way, he'll be inclined towards conquest but if he's at a 6, he might be more inclined to follow other priorities like science or trade. Flavors can even change based on context. If England starts in the middle of a large continent but near horses, Elizabeth will suspend her focus on fleets and instead put more emphasis on horse warfare.

The grab bag of leader traits from the previous Civilization games is gone now in favor of traits that are entirely unique to each leader. We weren't told what any of the new ones are, but we do know that one of the rejected ideas was to have one civ treat forests as roads. It ultimately ended up being much too powerful, but it should indicate the direction that the team is taking with the new traits.

The diplomacy screen is now a full 3D environment complete with animated leaders speaking in their own language. Each leader has a unique scene that reflects who they are, so you'll meet Gandhi by the river, Napoleon on the battlefield and Bismarck in his office. The backgrounds are animated, and in some cases even interactive, so you'll see Askia standing in front of a burning town he's just conquered, or watch as Washington casually spins a globe. Specular mapping, depth-of-field effects and self-shadowing models help add to the realism of the scene, but in keeping with the tone of the series, the leaders are all slightly idealized. Bismarck is a little thinner, Gandhi a little stouter, and Suleiman look a bit like a Turkish Santa Claus.

The leaders are much more animated this time around.
A lot of effort has been made to get each leader's personality out in their interactions. The defeat screens offer a good example of this. If you defeat Askia, he is belligerent and promises vengeance. Washington on the other hand, seems depressed by defeat, almost as if he's thinking about the people he's let down. Oda, on the other hand, is actually a little more gracious towards the player in defeat, suggesting that you've finally won his respect. One of the best displays of personality is Caesar's declaration of war. He announces he's going to crush your civilization almost like it's a waste of his time.

In addition to the regular offerings, civs that have discovered writing can also form research pacts with each other. For a little bit of cash up front, each civ gets a 15% boost to research for 20 turns. Either side can break the agreement (by, say, going to war with the other partner), but since both lose money in the process, it's hoped that research pacts can help to foster goodwill without the exploits possible under Civ IV's open border system. One hex of a given luxury resource is now good enough to improve happiness across your entire civ now as well, which should also encourage more trading among civilizations. If you've got two marble and two dye, there's no reason to avoid trading one of each away if you can get access to ivory or spice.

Strategic resources are handled differently. There the quantity is very important. One iron deposit, for instance, will only grant you the right to build and maintain, say, five iron-based units. You can't build any more than that until one of those units dies (or is disbanded) or you get access to more iron. You will be allowed to keep those units in the field if your resource is pillaged, but there's an additional maintenance burden and you won't be able to replace them if they're lost.
Civ V's new city-states offer an interesting way to gain access to new resources. These are single-city civs that are placed at the start of the game and aren't in competition for an overall victory. In a way, they're like NPCs that can help grease the wheels of diplomacy by offering bonuses to the civs that they like best. You may start off near Budapest and find that they have silk, or can provide a culture boost to your civ. If you give them gifts of gold or units, they'll start to like you. If you fulfill their requests, like saving them from a barbarian attack or capturing one of their city-state rivals, they'll like you even more. If you liberate them from a foreign conqueror, you've probably made a friend for life.

You could, of course, simply take them over but the benefits they give you are more than you could earn on your own. You'll need to weigh the benefits of having an extra city at the beginning of the game against the long term value they can offer if they're independent. It requires a substantial investment because your relationship will degrade over time but it's well worth the effort, particularly if a nearby city-state is getting friendly with one of your rivals.

It's interesting because even between two civs that have no other reason to hate each other, the presence of a small third party can make diplomacy so much more complicated. Imagine that the tiny city of Florence is right between Hamburg and New York. The Germans and Americans might not have any reason to go to war with each other except for the swaying sympathies of this one tiny city and the bonuses that it confers. History's full of large wars that were launched over small cities, so it's great to see the chance for that to play out in Civ V.

Your empire will tend to grow towards the food.
Borders are also handled a bit differently. Instead of just dropping a big culture bomb at certain thresholds, a city's territory will keep better pace with population and grow one tile at a time. Now when you get a new tile, you'll probably have no other choice but to work it. It's still based on culture, and you can drop some cash to speed things up, but culture growth will be more relevant over the long term in Civ V. You also won't pick the tiles individually. Instead the game will weight growth towards "good" tiles like grassland or wheat and away from "bad" tiles like forests and mountains. It makes sense that culture would tend to spread quickest where people can settle and make a living, but we're not sure yet what impact this has on production-focused cities that need lots of mines and forests.

Even though there are no more city defections, the AI will pay closer attention to the growth of your borders. If you found a city right on the edge of Rameses' borders and suddenly start rapidly taking over all the land that produces the most food, you're likely provoking him to start a fight.

We often leave the discussion of visuals and sounds to the end of these previews, because turn-based strategy is so often focused more on the content than the presentation. Civ IV excelled in terms of appearance and Civ V is pushing things even farther. Apart from the more organic look of hexes, the whole game makes use of distinct geographic flavors, so you'll be able to tell whether a forest is meant to represent Europe, Africa, Asia or the Americas. The entire game has a much more painterly look, as well, which makes it seem more natural overall.

The audio cues are also based off of what you see on the screen and are layered appropriately. In the previous game, if you were over a certain tile, that's all you heard. Now you'll be able to hear the tiles you're focused on but also the sounds of the desert or water off in the distance. This is even carried over into the combat. If a unit dies and falls in the forest, it will sound like it fell in a forest. If it's by a river, it will sound like it fell in a river. All of these sounds are positional too, so if you've got a surround setup, you'll hear them happening relative to where they are on the screen.

Sound will also reinforce the culture of the civs themselves. Each civ has lists of licensed music from its own culture (Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and America), and you'll hear either the war playlist or the peace playlist depending on how you're behaving. There are also unique orchestral scores for war and peace in the diplomacy screens each based on actual melodies from the civilization they represent.

Even after a whole day talking to the team and seeing the game, there's still so much we don't know. While the community is likely hungry for even the minutest details (yes, you need to research the calendar to access cotton; yes, you can build Shakespeare's Amphitheater; yes, Montezuma is in the game) we're more curious about the bigger picture. What are the peaceful victory conditions? What's new in multiplayer? How do unit promotions and great people work this time around? How does the in-game mod browser work? Unfortunately, Firaxis isn't ready to talk about a lot of those features, so we'll have to be patient until we get more information.

A lot of 'confirmed' civs may just be city states.
I think the term 'confirmed' is used a tad bit too easy.

The city-states appear to be referred to by city name (Florence, Budapest, Rio, etc) whilst the Civ's appear to be referred to as country name (England, France, America, etc).

Take it how you like. ;)

The city-states appear to be referred to by city name (Florence, Budapest, Rio, etc) whilst the Civ's appear to be referred to as country name (England, France, America, etc).

Take it how you like. ;)

yes. and one more proof there is; i don't think city-states will have any leader.

this last article was more promising than the others. it really resembled someone was testing the game and writing his first-impression
:goodjob: i wonder about it so much. i wanna test it!

@Ralph: Here you go... no time for pics sorry :)

Spoiler :
US, March 8, 2010 - Last week we had the good fortune to visit Firaxis and get a firsthand look at Civilization V from several of the game's creators. Not counting the Colonization mod, this is the series first return to the PC after making the leap to the console and handheld platforms with Civilization Revolution. Some fans feared that the leaner (and loonier) style that Civ displayed on the consoles might bleed over into subsequent PC sequels. Based on the pre-alpha version we saw, that doesn't seem to be the case. There's a fine line between making a game easier and making it easier to play, of course, but Firaxis is committed to maintaining the depth the fans have come to expect.

The first suspicions of a market-driven compromise are usually generated by the dreaded "A" word, accessibility. While it's true that some game systems, like religion and espionage, have been removed, fears that Civilization Revolution on the console has dumbed down the gameplay of the PC sequel are unfounded. In the case of Civilization V, accessibility just means the developers want to make it easier to understand and manipulate the complexity within the game. Most of these are merely matters of convenience rather than cutting back and, with that in mind, it's clear that the interface for Civ Rev has definitely impacted the presentation in Civ V.

Basic commands and notifications have been simplified and pushed into the corners of the art deco interface. The few unit actions that players use all the time will be aligned on the lower left edge of the screen, but you can expand the list to include the whole range of possible actions. Small icons will pop up each turn to notify players of new events that might require attention and clicking on those icons will take players to the location in question. The idea is to give the player as much information they need without ever taking them out of the game itself.

The whole game has a very painted look.
Advisors are also making a return to counsel new players on particular aspects of the game but their overall tone will be much more serious than in previous versions of Civ. New players will also be saved from wasting time by having the "End turn" button transform into a "Choose production" button if a city happens to be sitting idle. Even with the streamlined interface, veteran players will still be comforted to see that the top line of the screen reveals the presence of the hardcore elements, tracking things like science and gold production, happiness, culture, resources, and even the time remaining on any Golden Ages.

One of the biggest changes to the game is the new one-unit-per-hex restriction. Previous Civ games have been dominated by the "stack of doom" where players create an unstoppable super unit by piling all of their units in a single square. That strategy is not available in Civ V, which should, the designers reason, pull combat away from the cities. Now when an invading army enters your territory, you'll want to send your spearmen and warriors and swordsmen out to fight them in the fields around your towns. Cities will automatically defend themselves now, and can benefit from increased defense based on certain structures or technologies, so you don't necessarily need to garrison a unit for defense but you can if you want to.

Because you're limited to just one unit per hex, battles have the potential to be much more tactical, both with regard to the placement of your units and geographical obstacles. We saw a few battles that highlighted the significance of the new system. In one, two groups of units were facing off against each other around a one-hex lake. An archer unit was able to fire at enemy units on the far side of the lake and stay protected from melee attack by two allied units on either side. In another battle, a small group of powerful units were able to hold off a much larger attacking army in a narrow mountain pass. Because the attacker could only bring one unit into the fight at a time, the defender was able to eliminate the numerical disadvantage.

It's all worth it once you start shooting flaming arrows at cities.
Civ fans are already very familiar with the terrain-based combat modifiers (crossing rivers, holding hills, etc.) and appropriate unit match ups. Adding in the additional burden of managing an army spread out over a large area just means doing it all on a different scale and making sure that your ranged units stay clear of melee. Fortunately, the game will allow adjacent allied units to swap positions, so you can keep fresh troops engaged with the enemy and rescue your ranged units from contact with melee fighters.

As fun as they are, battles are just the basic components of victory and without a clear direction you can win every fight and still lose the game. A lot of effort is being made to ensure that the AI in Civilization V behaves in a way that makes sense. As we watched a test game play out in front of us, AI programmer Ed Beach explained the way the AI uses subsystems to create and execute its strategies. At the lowest level, the tactical AI uses the forces at hand to win a battle on a local scale. One step up from that, the operational AI picks which battles to fight and makes sure that the necessary forces are available. Moving even higher, the strategic AI manages the empire as a whole, focusing on where to build cities and what to do with them.

At the top of the ladder is the grand strategic AI, which decides how to win the game. If the grand strategic AI decides to go for a conquest victory, the strategic AI will build the infrastructure needed to wage war and the operational and tactical AIs will choose and fight the battles. That way the tactical AI won't be fighting battles merely for the sake of fighting battles, but because those battles are relevant in the grand strategic AI's big picture. In the case of the conquest victory, the AI will be aiming to capture the other civ's capitals, which is all that's needed for a military victory this time.
It sounds kind of insane, but Firaxis is constantly running AI games in a test environment to get a better sense of the relationships between all these systems. The one we saw playing out had the Songhai starting out very close to the city-state of Rio de Janeiro. Askia, leader of the Songhai, is very conquest-oriented, so it's no surprise that he tends towards military action. His civilization immediately went into warrior-rush mode and he soon had six warriors heading off to capture Rio.

Unfortunately, along the way a few of the warriors were lost in an unexpected fight with barbarians. So now the AI has to decide whether the tactical AI can even win the fight against Rio and, if not, what other adjustments need to be made at the other levels. Each of those four levels also has a unique opportunity to set or be influenced by the AI's research and diplomacy goals, which requires even more flexibility and cooperation among the various subsystems.

The practical upshot to all this complexity is that you have an AI that keeps the detailed decisions in line with the overall objective -- winning the game. To add even more variety to the mix, each of the 18 leaders in the game will come with unique personalities based on "flavors." Flavors define a leader's preference for certain types of gameplay and, to a large extent, you'll be able to guess which way a particular leader will lean. Katherine has a high expansion flavor, so the Russian empire will have lots of cities. But she doesn't have a high flavor for city growth, so her cities will be much smaller than Gandhi's. Elizabeth has a very high naval warfare flavor, so her English empire will strive for control of the seas.

The hex map and one-unit restriction makes combat much more tactical.
It's important to note that this doesn't mean that the AI leaders are predictable, just that their flavors will tend to drive their gameplay in certain directions. There's a substantial random element as well, so you'll still never be quite sure. Imagine that Napoleon's conquest flavor is, by default, an 8 out of 10. Before the game begins that value will be adjusted by up to two points in either direction. So you might be playing against a Napoleon who is a 10 on conquest, or against one who is only a 6. Either way, he'll be inclined towards conquest but if he's at a 6, he might be more inclined to follow other priorities like science or trade. Flavors can even change based on context. If England starts in the middle of a large continent but near horses, Elizabeth will suspend her focus on fleets and instead put more emphasis on horse warfare.

The grab bag of leader traits from the previous Civilization games is gone now in favor of traits that are entirely unique to each leader. We weren't told what any of the new ones are, but we do know that one of the rejected ideas was to have one civ treat forests as roads. It ultimately ended up being much too powerful, but it should indicate the direction that the team is taking with the new traits.

The diplomacy screen is now a full 3D environment complete with animated leaders speaking in their own language. Each leader has a unique scene that reflects who they are, so you'll meet Gandhi by the river, Napoleon on the battlefield and Bismarck in his office. The backgrounds are animated, and in some cases even interactive, so you'll see Askia standing in front of a burning town he's just conquered, or watch as Washington casually spins a globe. Specular mapping, depth-of-field effects and self-shadowing models help add to the realism of the scene, but in keeping with the tone of the series, the leaders are all slightly idealized. Bismarck is a little thinner, Gandhi a little stouter, and Suleiman look a bit like a Turkish Santa Claus.

The leaders are much more animated this time around.
A lot of effort has been made to get each leader's personality out in their interactions. The defeat screens offer a good example of this. If you defeat Askia, he is belligerent and promises vengeance. Washington on the other hand, seems depressed by defeat, almost as if he's thinking about the people he's let down. Oda, on the other hand, is actually a little more gracious towards the player in defeat, suggesting that you've finally won his respect. One of the best displays of personality is Caesar's declaration of war. He announces he's going to crush your civilization almost like it's a waste of his time.

In addition to the regular offerings, civs that have discovered writing can also form research pacts with each other. For a little bit of cash up front, each civ gets a 15% boost to research for 20 turns. Either side can break the agreement (by, say, going to war with the other partner), but since both lose money in the process, it's hoped that research pacts can help to foster goodwill without the exploits possible under Civ IV's open border system. One hex of a given luxury resource is now good enough to improve happiness across your entire civ now as well, which should also encourage more trading among civilizations. If you've got two marble and two dye, there's no reason to avoid trading one of each away if you can get access to ivory or spice.

Strategic resources are handled differently. There the quantity is very important. One iron deposit, for instance, will only grant you the right to build and maintain, say, five iron-based units. You can't build any more than that until one of those units dies (or is disbanded) or you get access to more iron. You will be allowed to keep those units in the field if your resource is pillaged, but there's an additional maintenance burden and you won't be able to replace them if they're lost.
Civ V's new city-states offer an interesting way to gain access to new resources. These are single-city civs that are placed at the start of the game and aren't in competition for an overall victory. In a way, they're like NPCs that can help grease the wheels of diplomacy by offering bonuses to the civs that they like best. You may start off near Budapest and find that they have silk, or can provide a culture boost to your civ. If you give them gifts of gold or units, they'll start to like you. If you fulfill their requests, like saving them from a barbarian attack or capturing one of their city-state rivals, they'll like you even more. If you liberate them from a foreign conqueror, you've probably made a friend for life.

You could, of course, simply take them over but the benefits they give you are more than you could earn on your own. You'll need to weigh the benefits of having an extra city at the beginning of the game against the long term value they can offer if they're independent. It requires a substantial investment because your relationship will degrade over time but it's well worth the effort, particularly if a nearby city-state is getting friendly with one of your rivals.

It's interesting because even between two civs that have no other reason to hate each other, the presence of a small third party can make diplomacy so much more complicated. Imagine that the tiny city of Florence is right between Hamburg and New York. The Germans and Americans might not have any reason to go to war with each other except for the swaying sympathies of this one tiny city and the bonuses that it confers. History's full of large wars that were launched over small cities, so it's great to see the chance for that to play out in Civ V.

Your empire will tend to grow towards the food.
Borders are also handled a bit differently. Instead of just dropping a big culture bomb at certain thresholds, a city's territory will keep better pace with population and grow one tile at a time. Now when you get a new tile, you'll probably have no other choice but to work it. It's still based on culture, and you can drop some cash to speed things up, but culture growth will be more relevant over the long term in Civ V. You also won't pick the tiles individually. Instead the game will weight growth towards "good" tiles like grassland or wheat and away from "bad" tiles like forests and mountains. It makes sense that culture would tend to spread quickest where people can settle and make a living, but we're not sure yet what impact this has on production-focused cities that need lots of mines and forests.

Even though there are no more city defections, the AI will pay closer attention to the growth of your borders. If you found a city right on the edge of Rameses' borders and suddenly start rapidly taking over all the land that produces the most food, you're likely provoking him to start a fight.

We often leave the discussion of visuals and sounds to the end of these previews, because turn-based strategy is so often focused more on the content than the presentation. Civ IV excelled in terms of appearance and Civ V is pushing things even farther. Apart from the more organic look of hexes, the whole game makes use of distinct geographic flavors, so you'll be able to tell whether a forest is meant to represent Europe, Africa, Asia or the Americas. The entire game has a much more painterly look, as well, which makes it seem more natural overall.

The audio cues are also based off of what you see on the screen and are layered appropriately. In the previous game, if you were over a certain tile, that's all you heard. Now you'll be able to hear the tiles you're focused on but also the sounds of the desert or water off in the distance. This is even carried over into the combat. If a unit dies and falls in the forest, it will sound like it fell in a forest. If it's by a river, it will sound like it fell in a river. All of these sounds are positional too, so if you've got a surround setup, you'll hear them happening relative to where they are on the screen.

Sound will also reinforce the culture of the civs themselves. Each civ has lists of licensed music from its own culture (Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and America), and you'll hear either the war playlist or the peace playlist depending on how you're behaving. There are also unique orchestral scores for war and peace in the diplomacy screens each based on actual melodies from the civilization they represent.

Even after a whole day talking to the team and seeing the game, there's still so much we don't know. While the community is likely hungry for even the minutest details (yes, you need to research the calendar to access cotton; yes, you can build Shakespeare's Amphitheater; yes, Montezuma is in the game) we're more curious about the bigger picture. What are the peaceful victory conditions? What's new in multiplayer? How do unit promotions and great people work this time around? How does the in-game mod browser work? Unfortunately, Firaxis isn't ready to talk about a lot of those features, so we'll have to be patient until we get more information.

Very much appreciated :goodjob:

India/Gandhi 1869-1948
Germany/Bismark 1815-98
France/Napolean 1769–1821
America/Washington 1732-99
Russia/Katherine 1729-96

England/Elizabeth 1533-1603

Japan/Oda Nobunaga 1534-82
Ottomans/Suleiman 1494-1566
Songhai/Askia 1493-1528
Inca (Huayna Capac? 1493–1527)
Aztec/Montezuma 1398–1469

Mongolia/Genghis Khan 1162–1227

Arabia/Harun al-Rashid 763 – 809
China/Wu Zeitein 625 – 705

Rome/Caeser 100-44 BC

Egypt/Ramesses 1303-1213 BC

From this I think we can conclude that the 18th civ will be the Vikings. :eekdance:

the turks are in. that makes it a buy in my book

one thing: if firaxis has any sense of history the capitals name should be Constantinople. not Istanbul as that is incorrect, but for the sake of game play (and the fact that Byzantium may get in) Istanbul is fine. but im still editing it.

In my last CivIV game my Byzantium cavalry from Constantinople conquered the Ottoman Istanbul. :lol: "This city reminds me of home..."

PS

About the names of Istanbul: Well the issue is mostly about language and pronounciation. another example, the city which I lived all my life Izmir; the name has derivated from Smyrna. Izmir as a word fits Turkish language more than Smyrna. So it is not "made" Izmir. It just became Izmir within centuries. It was easier for Turkish people to pronounciate. All names change by time and so roman and greek city names changed to turkish by time.

Smyrna-->Simir-->Izmir (sth like this)
Ankyra-->Ankara
Iconium-->Konya
Antioch-->Antakya

Besides, there are many strict rules for words in turkish about spelling and letters. The changes should be related.

and also some cities have different names in different languages, this is quite normal. each nation calles a city in a pronounciation which is easier in shape for them.
The Hague--> Den Haag
Munich, Munchen, Monaco

the origin of the name "istanbul"
there are in fact many names of istanbul, including nick names like "yeditepe" which means "seven hills". turks used both istanbul and konstantiniyye (sth like that) in Ottoman period.

in 1930, the names else than Istanbul was made obsolete by the republic. When you consider that Istanbul name was more common among Turks, it is a very reasonable political move as it has been a Turkish city for centuries. it should also be because of the language reform (latin alphabet accepted with some additional letters)

But you should also know that the origin of the word "istanbul" is also believed to have come from a greek word in origin. in a source, i once red that it might have come from "eis ten polin" which meant "to the city" in old greek language. it might be true.

India/Gandhi 1869-1948
Germany/Bismark 1815-98
France/Napolean 1769–1821
America/Washington 1732-99
Russia/Katherine 1729-96

England/Elizabeth 1533-1603

Japan/Oda Nobunaga 1534-82
Ottomans/Suleiman 1494-1566
Songhai/Askia 1493-1528
Inca (Huayna Capac? 1493–1527)
Aztec/Montezuma 1398–1469

Mongolia/Genghis Khan 1162–1227

Arabia/Harun al-Rashid 763 – 809
China/Wu Zeitein 625 – 705

Rome/Caeser 100-44 BC

Egypt/Ramesses 1303-1213 BC

From this I think we can conclude that the 18th civ will be the Vikings. :eekdance:

I don't see how this reasoning works? You're also missing the 17th civ..

hey, he is just tryin to find another reason to have vikings in the game. he is from sweden you see :)
vikings were a core element of the game. i will really miss them if vanilla lacks them. but sure spain, greece and persia are also important civs and deserve a place.

Munchen is spelled Monaco in which language Camarilla? Because Monaco is a city (different from Munchen)...
There is also the same thing with Toulouse (french civ) and Tolosa (celt civ).

edit: hehe tx for the info. :)

monaco is the italian for munich. when i first heard it, i was surprised to hear this as well :)

i only thought monaco was a state

The things that concern me have been mentioned:
Group Movement of units???
1) without some kind of system, by the early industrial [when a large portion of the conquest always seems to take place in my games] you could be moving 50+ units per turn, which will suck.
2) unless with the ne resource restrictions large armies are a thing of the past?

City Defense without units??
This I like because always seemed kind of difficult for a legion of men to take AND HOLD a city of 300K. You only have so many arrows.

But I'm really worried about amphibious combat;
a) will transports still hold several units at a time? or will you need a boat per unit?
b) will you still be able to attack a city out right or have to wait til Marines?
c) if all basic units get 2 movement, will they get them from a transport? could make storming the beach take forever without that.
d) if you can have multi unit transports it seems like it would be heavily over powered

Count me with the group that hates to see religion and espi go.
Both have been an inergral part of society and warfare forever, seems dumb not to refine them and leave them in.

Overall looks good and I will make sure my PC is in good shape for its release. Sid hasn't let us down yet, so I have faith.

Top Bottom