Anybody Else Worried About Purchasing Civ5 On Release?

Are You Going to Wait to Purchase Civilization 5?

• I already pre-ordered it.

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out.

Votes: 62 26.4%
  • I am going to wait a little after it comes out to gather information.

Votes: 55 23.4%
  • I am going to wait until an expansion or DLC combo package comes out to buy it.

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • I am not going to purchase Civilization 5.

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • I am not yet sure if I will be purchasing Civilization 5.

Votes: 29 12.3%

• Total voters
I think it's pretty clear in the product descriptions on each of the stores.
So is it correct that Firaxis are creating more than the 18 civs + Babylon, and that someone would get more civs by purchasing the standard version through D2D (for $50) than they would by buying the deluxe edition through Steam (for $60)?

Exactly this: Greg should be given the info, not having to trawl for it. That is 2Ks' fault, not Gregs'. As it is, I already blame 2K for not being transparent enough, and I think a fair few posters do...

Agreed, but let's not go crazy on the one dude actually trying to clear up the mess.

Ultimately, the community managers are only able to tell us what the publisher wants them to tell us.

And in addition to Ahriman's question:
Will it be possible to play with all those civilizations at the same time, or is the list limited to 18, so that one could only chose 18 out of currently 21 being confirmed?

Ultimately, the community managers are only able to tell us what the publisher wants them to tell us.

Which is exactly the point.

How shall I trust or have any loyalty to a company (and still, Firaxis belongs into the same boat, unfortunately) which is dealing with their customers (aka: the persons who are paying all this stuff) in such way?

So is it correct that Firaxis are creating more than the 18 civs + Babylon, and that someone would get more civs by purchasing the standard version through D2D (for $50) than they would by buying the deluxe edition through Steam (for $60)?

Yes, assuming you have no plans to purchase that DLC pack if you buy from Steam.

Also, the Deluxe edition (on either site) gets you Babylon and we don't know if that will remain exclusive to the deluxe edition. We think it'll get released sometime in the future as DLC, but we can't be sure.

EDIT:
Which is exactly the point.

How shall I trust or have any loyalty to a company (and still, Firaxis belongs into the same boat, unfortunately) which is dealing with their customers (aka: the persons who are paying all this stuff) in such way?

I wouldn't single out 2k with this, it's rare to find a publisher or developer that is 100% transparent with their customer base. I can think of maybe two or three companies, but they aren't the norm. It sucks, but that's the reality.

Agreed, but let's not go crazy on the one dude actually trying to clear up the mess.

Yup, which is why your point about the propagandist isn't actually all that far from the mark, with the addendum that Greg would be doing in unknowingly.

I think it would be in the communities interest, and probably the customers, if everyone stopped preordering until 2K came forward with an explanation of future plans. Collective bargaining and all that. unfortunately, most people are too shortsighhted or disorganized to do that.

The D2D version gives you the first "premium DLC" for free, which is 2 civilizations and a scenario.

If you are asking me if 18+2 is greater than 18+1, then the answer is yes ;)

the first "premium DLC"
This sends shivers up my spine.... oh well, so much for the expansions model.

Thanks for the info Greg.

Can you give us a ballpark indication of what the price for "premium DLC" packs will be? And how many there are likely to be?

This sends shivers up my spine.... oh well, so much for the expansions model.

Thanks for the info Greg.

Can you give us a ballpark indication of what the price for "premium DLC" packs will be? And how many there are likely to be?

Don't worry, there will still be expansions at their normal price.

At the end of Civ V's lifespan, the game will have approximately 700 Civs.

With all this paid DLC it's tempting to wait for 3 years to buy Civ V Complete to get everything for the price of a standard game!

With all this paid DLC it's tempting to wait for 3 years to buy Civ V Complete to get everything for the price of a standard game!

Precisely why I intend to wait. "First premium DLC" means obviously more are coming - and I'm guessing expansions are going to be coming, too. Why not milk a cow that is going to give milk? Personally I'm not going to buy into that, though. I would so much rather wait it out than spend 150 some dollars on a single game after expansions and DLC. Even if Civilization 5 is good enough to be worth 150 dollars (because, yes, I've easily gotten three games worth of playing time out of Civilization 4), I also refuse to encourage the marketing tactics that are being employed here.

Honestly, I'm just going to buy the standard edition. I don't know if I'll wait for it to come out to buy it, or just pre-order it. I don't plan on spending a fortune on DLC. I'm patient enough to wait for expansion packs. If expansion packs won't come with DLC civilizations, then oh well. 18 civilizations to begin with is more than enough for me.

And in addition to Ahriman's question:
Will it be possible to play with all those civilizations at the same time, or is the list limited to 18, so that one could only chose 18 out of currently 21 being confirmed?

Could you clarify this question? I don't understand what you mean.

Will CiV be able to play games with more than 18 leaders in a game, or will the game, in an unmodded version, be limited to a maximum of 18 civs in a game, at one time?

he means will the game still limit the max civs to 18 or will you be able to play with all 700 civs on the same map (theoretically).

This is such an epic fail, I can totally understand all the frustration. Its enough to put civ from XXX primo pre order everything to a sad day in the bargain bin 9 months later. I've had enough with you 2k.

Greg, I don't know if you've seen my previous post on this thread, so I'll just ask again:

Could you provide some details on the pre-order Cradle of Civilization maps? What are they exactly?

We need some information before we decide where we purchase the game from.

Missing an option; I'll probably pre-order it, but not until I get a clear idea of what all these various bonus packages actually are.

The game as a whole looks great, I'll definitely buy it.

Ditto

Could you clarify this question? I don't understand what you mean.
Here:
Will CiV be able to play games with more than 18 leaders in a game, or will the game, in an unmodded version, be limited to a maximum of 18 civs in a game, at one time?
And here:
he means will the game still limit the max civs to 18 or will you be able to play with all 700 civs on the same map (theoretically).

Ah! That makes sense.

I just checked, and at least in the current build you can have up to 22 other civs (23 including yourself.) This is not necessarily the final number as I'm looking at a beta version of the game so don't depend on it and don't yell at me if it changes! ;) I'm not sure if this number can be easily raised in lua or if it would require a source code modification to change; I'll look in to that.

Oh, and that number does not include city-states. You can have a ton of city-states (there are typically more city-states than civs.)

so 23, not bad I guess. Better than 18, thats for sure. I reserve the right to yell and throw tantrums. j/k :p

hopefully no source code changes required, but I guess it isn't that hard, so either way I'm fine.

Top Bottom