Crispy Review of Civ V

You did not follow up with another question. You commented about my willingness to accept authority on the purpose of marketing, and I elaborated. Could you quote which question you think went unanswered?

Why, I thought that was obvious. I'll repeat: why do you believe it's the purpose of marketing to present a product (whether it be Civ V, or anything else) in the best possible light? Repeating that others told it to you isn't reason enough, certainly not for a bright fellow like yourself! I have faith in you doing better than that, so as I wrote above, I'll abide your answer. Not someone else's.

To be honest, I think you're just playing pointless rhetorical games at this point because you've run out of meaningful things to say. If you can't say anything more than doesn't sound like a BS gotcha backwards question, I'm outta here.

Pointless rhetorical games? Whom are you referring to, again? ;) But I don't mind these efforts of yours. It's fun watching someone else be so easily and well amused. Passes the time nicely. I've answered your questions about Civ V to the best of my poor ability, and if you choose to twist my opinions, as others have pointed out to me, that's fine, too. Have a nice day, and safe travels! :)

Soro said:
Why, I thought that was obvious. I'll repeat: why do you believe it's the purpose of marketing to present a product in the best possible light? Repeating that others told it to you isn't reason enough, certainly not for a bright fellow like yourself! I have faith in you doing better than that, so as I wrote above, I'll abide your answer. Not someone else's.

Nope, I'm pretty good with that, actually. If you have a better answer, I'm interested in hearing it.

Nope, I'm pretty good with that, actually. If you have a better answer, I'm interested in hearing it.

I've already said I'll wait. I've got time, and you've got brains, so the ball's in your court on this one. I'm genuinely interested in your own response. :)

Roxlimn wrote
Jediron:

Every time something negative comes up about Civ 5, you're there to cheer it on.
Just as people like you , who feel the need to respond in their own way. Waving away arguments, think that all, if not most can be fixed. Right ? You are no better then me, my friend.

Either you're being unnecessarily partisan and at least dishonest in your dislike of particular things you didn't know before, or you don't really know what you don't like, and you're just picking things up as you go along. I'm not singling you out here. Many forum disruptors behave this way.
I can honestly say i dislike this game, for very good reasons, very well explained, and holy cow; i am not the only one here that feels that way. I am singling out you also, but you are "the king"
defending your precious crown. May i say; "to the ridiculous"....

As you say yourself, you have gone beyond wanting Civ 5 to be good and offering constructive criticism because you feel that Civ 5 is unfixable. Therefore, your commentary is nothing but disruptive to the Civ 5 forums.
Well, excuse me for disrupting some members. I can imagine it must be though to swallow, that alot of players seem to dislike CIV 5, a game you apperently like so much, that you feel the need to step up and argue "till dead" here on the forum.

Repeating your statements verbatim doesn't do anything, really, so let's please have this the last time you say them. Please.
Well, if i look at the post of you above, in dicussion with Solo; i can't see you are doing anything constructive either. Infact, your discussion goes way offtopic.

lschnarch:

All of those characteristics about the game were obvious from the demo. If a player doesn't like that many things about the game, then it is inconceivable why he would venture to purchase such a game, knowing that it is largely abhorrent to him on so many fundamental levels.
BS.
The broken diplomacy was hardly to be identified from within a game in the *first* 100 turns. Even less can you identify the inability of the AI to go for victories in an appropriate manner. Same with the lack of interesting gameplay if not being at war.

And so on.
Furthermore, many of these issues that are pointed out are present in previous versions of Civ, which these people purport to like. Again, it appears as if they are just trying to grasp at anything and everything to try to justify their antipathy.
The same old argument over and over again.

I would have expected (even more after the full-bodied announcements) that they would have tried to *improve* weaknesses of older versions.

I mean, you can't build happiness unless you have a religion?
Beg your pardon?

Health is no longer an issue. That got streamlined out. Does anyone really complain? Not me. Doesn't seem to have occurred to you. How does it add to the game to have a second, redundant "happiness" mechanic to manage on top of the base one? It wasn't harder - it was literally just another happiness mechanic that was virtually identical to the actual happiness mechanic.
Beg your pardon again?
Health was a growth modifier.
Distance has been folded into happiness. I like this. I did view distance maintenance with profound distaste. This is because distance maintenance directly affects the spread of empires, and in the Age of Exploration, empires were anything but contiguous and compact. It wasn't practical to have an empire so widespread that the sun never sets on it. That is now possible. I like it.
Distance in the real world comes with costs.
In Civ5 I magically beam my resources from some place deep into the backwoods into all other cities of my empire. Actually, in Civ5 due to roads no longer been needed it has become even worse than in Civ4 with its unquantifiable resources which at least had to be connected.
What about spaghetti roads? Anyone clamor to bring that back?
The spaghetti roads were mainly a visual thing. Yet, they served indeed a gameplay feature: accessibility to resources and easier traffic.

In Civ5, the accessibility has been "streamlined" away and the easier traffic has not been achieved.

No transferring of food from one city to another. No transferring of production, either. Streamlined away.

Civ 4 is like Civ 5 in this manner. It just so happens that you didn't personally care for all the things in previous Civ games that they removed in Civ 4.
Well, it doesn't look like it would have been reintroduced into Civ5, does it?

No? They're overhauling the combat engine! You can't expect them to do that, and still rework all the broken things from Civ 4 into something that was actually workable. It's better to just leave those things out to be included in later expansions, than put them in and have to deal with gutting the code in later installments.
Do you mind explaining in which way an overhaul of the combat engine would conflict with overhauling so-called "broken" mechanics from Civ4?

Actually, one could say that introducing a broken "overhaul" at the costs of simply cutting other features doesn't really constitute any improvement.

You're blaming Firaxis' marketing folks for presenting their product in the best possible light? Forgive me, but isn't that what marketing folks are supposed to do? I mean, if Firaxis didn't want to put its best foot forward, then shouldn't it just fire its marketing team?
As soon as that presentation is done by misleading statements, yes, the marketing folks are to be blamed.

It's about statement in Shafer's interview, so let's not characterize this as me ignoring things. I just don't agree that those statements were inherently misleading.
In the context of what they (Firaxis) are telling us now these previous statements of Shafer are very much misleading.

Ever got the idea that there may be more than just one reason not to like this game?

As has been pointed out so often already:
  • it is not only the poor combat AI
  • it is not only the problem of scaling a tactical combat system with a strategical map
  • it is not only the obscure diplomacy
  • it is not only the one-dimensional "social policies"
  • it is not only the AI "set up to win" and then failing to do so in any aspect
  • it is not only the boring gameplay in case of not being involved into a war
  • it is not only the poor unit graphics which require additional symbols to make the identifiable
  • it is not only the fact that the game is a resource hog for apparently no reasons
  • it is not only the many bugs
  • it is not only still missing functionality
(And these are just the things which come to mind immediately)

For many, it is a combination, if not all, of these things.

So, it is quite easy to be in three threads about three different single items of this list and having to admit that each time the single item belongs to what disturbs you about the game.

For me, it's all those PLUS the lack of replay and stats!

Yea, because Civ IV gameplay was so engaging when you weren't at war! :rolleyes: I think some of you guys need to be playing city sim games, or Cleopatra or something.

Yea, because Civ IV gameplay was so engaging when you weren't at war! :rolleyes:

I agree that in Civ4 the gameplay sometimes could become boring. I remember games where I started wars just to have some action.

The problem is, in Civ5 you have this almost immediately.

In Civ4, you would have quite some other actions to do:
race for a religion
spread your religion
send out your spies
try to get corporations
even which techs to chose was a bit (not much, but nevertheless) more compelling

You could even spend some time with checking the diplomacy, who would have which tech to give you an estimation where you were. You had all kind of "entertainment" (in comparison, that is).

In Civ5, you build your "standing army" of six, and then... you... build... thi... this..... buildi....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I try stay positive about Civ 5 but it's not easy, almost every day something new pops up as a disappointment, couple of days ago it was a thread about the lack of modding ability, today i see one where attacking units face no penalty for attacking a city over a river, but the defending unit does, just seems, careless, i don't know.

So much has been intentionally or unintentionally left out from previous Civ versions it reminds me of Hank Hill when he was pruning a tree in his backyard, he pruned so much he only left with the trunk in the end.

In Civ4, you would have quite some other actions to do:
race for a religion

bleh

spread your religion

double bleh

send out your spies

Ultimately useless. Hopefully, if it comes into Civ 5, it will be better implemented.

try to get corporations

Yea, I miss that :( But, it was an expansion addition, so we'll probably get that here too.

even which techs to chose was a bit (not much, but nevertheless) more compelling

Dont' really see much difference here.

In Civ5, you build your "standing army" of six, and then... you... build... thi... this..... buildi....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL that was Civ IV to me too at times :p

bleh
double bleh
I am not saying that the religion system in Civ4 was perfect. Actually, it was not very good. But it offered you some side-action due to the attempt to get this religion first.
And then to have to spread it. And then eagerly waiting for the Prophet to pop up to build the Holy Shrine.
Ultimately useless. Hopefully, if it comes into Civ 5, it will be better implemented.
Once again, not a perfect implementation, but definitely not "useless". And were it only to check about enemy positions.

LOL that was Civ IV to me too at times :p

As I've said already, this happened in Civ4 to me, too.
It is just that in Civ5 it happens so early.

Yea, because Civ IV gameplay was so engaging when you weren't at war! :rolleyes: I think some of you guys need to be playing city sim games, or Cleopatra or something.

Pharaoh and the expansion, Cleopatra, was one of the greatest game ever designed (I put #2 all time on my list). That is, until they dumbed-it down with Zeus/Poseidon and the unworkable Emperor. I believe most, if not all, strategy game series fell victim to that.

Top Bottom