SINGLE Most Frustrating Thing in Civ5?

Another annoying thing in Civ V is how a unit can gain so many promotions that a player won't be able to see all of them.

Granted, it's not a common circumstance, but gosh darn it, if I have a level 20 unit, I want to see all of its promotions, ha. :D

Yes, that is total pain in the ...:mad:

This. And I also want to be able to see what promotions an enemy unit has. Seeing that it has five upward arrows doesn't tell me much when I don't know what each arrow means. :/

This again. I want to see the promotions that an enemy unit has. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to open the civilopedia just to see one unit's unique abilities.

Six pages of frustration? I've been playing Civilization since the original came out way back when. What impressed me most is how each iteration was better than the last. Now that I have finally upgraded my computer, I am wondering if Civ5 is worth playing. My other option is to go back to Civ4 and enjoy it on a new, faster machine. Any advice?

If you've been playing that long, its worth trying before you abandon the series.

Some of the problems aren't consistent. Performance wasn't an issue for me initially on a 6yr old machine....initially. For some reason I'm running into the performance issues others are hitting after about 400hrs of gameplay. With that being said on a newer laptop performance is still sound. So I'm thinking some of the issues are related to cruft buildup.

Yeah old computers get continuously slower as parts degrade and random junk code accumulates.

Six pages of frustration? I've been playing Civilization since the original came out way back when. What impressed me most is how each iteration was better than the last. Now that I have finally upgraded my computer, I am wondering if Civ5 is worth playing. My other option is to go back to Civ4 and enjoy it on a new, faster machine. Any advice?

If you can afford Civ V AND G&K, I'd say it's definitely worth buying.

Ok the AI can suck really hard sometimes, yes there are some inexcusable bug after 2 years of patching, but I'll go as far as saying that ciV is the best thing that ever occurred to the franchise (post gnK). Im having my best civ moments ever. I couldn't possi ly think about switching back to cIV. it would seems so...clumsy!
With G&K go, it's everything a civ player with high tolerance for slightly sloppy coding could dream for.

The unit jumps are especially irritating when you start moving a unit then get jerked somewhere else. Bonus points if the unit you were moving starts going to where your cam got jerked.

Ok the AI can suck really hard sometimes, yes there are some inexcusable bug after 2 years of patching, but I'll go as far as saying that ciV is the best thing that ever occurred to the franchise (post gnK). Im having my best civ moments ever. I couldn't possi ly think about switching back to cIV. it would seems so...clumsy!
With G&K go, it's everything a civ player with high tolerance for slightly sloppy coding could dream for.

I can't tell if this post is being sarcastic or not.

ThisNameIsTooLo said:
I can't tell if this post is being sarcastic or not.

It's not! :)
I really do like what they did with GnK but the fact that there are still some basic bugs left baffled me. But it shouldn't put off a newcomer as the game is still really good and much more enjoyable than IV IMO. Isn't why we post in this forum and not on IV's?

Plus the fall patch should answer to about 90% of this thread's posts, except "bring back stacks/government/vassals/space colonization"

It's not! :)
Plus the fall patch should answer to about 90% of this thread's posts, except "bring back stacks/government/vassals/space colonization"

The vassals system was a bit silly, since by that point the AI player had already given up on winning the game (becoming a vassal is never a step in any winning strategy, after all). Now we have City-States for that.

Another annoying thing in Civ V is how a unit can gain so many promotions that a player won't be able to see all of them.

Granted, it's not a common circumstance, but gosh darn it, if I have a level 20 unit, I want to see all of its promotions, ha. :D

No. I`m quite happy not knowing an enemy unit`s promotions.You wouldn`t just `know it`. However, you should have the ability to use a spy to find out or have it revealed once you get into combat.

I think there are three aspects of the game I find really frustrating at the moment:

1) The Espionage system is just horrible from beginning to end. The fact that it's completely passive and you can't influence it in any way beyond deciding were to send your Spy is bad enough already, because that makes it pretty much brainless. The fact that AI will steal techs from you and coup your city states with no respect to general diplomatic relations makes it downright frustrating on top of that.

2) The fact that you (and AI) can denounce at will is probably the single most destructive aspect of the diplomatic system. You can spend several eras to build up a great relationship with other AI's and then what seems almost randomly - and certainly without any decernable reason - one of them will denounce you or one of the other AI's in the alliance and it will all just disintegrate into mutual denouncements leaving you in a situation where there is no diplomatic options to pursue because everybody hate everybody.

3) The fact that AI will label you a Warmonger for declaring War once. I'm not against gaining negative favor for declaring war - what I'm against is that civs that have spam-DoW'ed me and others through the entire game will label me a Warmonger and go insta-hostile for declaring war once, even if it's against someone they dislike themselves. Or my single most stupid AI-thing: They ask you to go to war and then label you a Warmonger for doing it. Seriously?

3) The fact that AI will label you a Warmonger for declaring War once. I'm not against gaining negative favor for declaring war - what I'm against is that civs that have spam-DoW'ed me and others through the entire game will label me a Warmonger and go insta-hostile for declaring war once, even if it's against someone they dislike themselves. Or my single most stupid AI-thing: They ask you to go to war and then label you a Warmonger for doing it. Seriously?

It is highly unlikely that one DoW (and nothing else negative) will get you labeled a warmonger. There are probably other negative modfiers involved.

In my current game, I started (as Ottomans) on a five-civ continent with France, Spain, Germany, and Siam. In the opening years, France DoWed me, Spain (twice), and Germany, and then eliminated Spain. I had DoF with Germany and Siam, waited until Janissaries came on line, and then DoWed France. Both Germany and Siam stayed friends with me throughout the war, even though I eliminated a CS that was France's ally and reduced France to one city.

When I later met the three civs on the other continent, two of them (Iroquois and Mongolia) signed DoFs and RAs. There were sporadic wars between Mongolia and Iroquois. I eventually picked Mongolia (since the Iroquois were the best bet to challenge for a science victory). Managed to get a Defensive Pact with Mongolia and kept DoF with Mongolia and Germany through to the end of the game.

No. I`m quite happy not knowing an enemy unit`s promotions.You wouldn`t just `know it`.

I was talking about being able to see the promotions of MY units, not the enemy.

It's quite rare for enemies to have too many promotions to see. The AI isn't smart enough to use promotions effectively, and I'm pretty sure obscenely promoted units in multiplayer are almost unheard of. :p

1. THE DEMOGRAPHICS.
They were astonishing in Civ4 BTS. And don't tell me those stats told too much of the other civs, they know all of human player anyways!
Just loved to take that peak every 20 turns or so, where are we on economics, military, etc etc. At least these should be there when spies are in another civs!!

When the game is over, you lack the possibility of comparing stats per 50turns, per 100turns etc. Also, there should be the graphs per YEARS AD, NOT by turns which is useless!

This is my single most frustrating thing. As well as the one that should be informed to the civ6 developers!

What's yours?

Solution is very simple: Get the Infoaddict mod. Though the mod still lacks charts based on civ's individual cities.

Oh but the top 5 things that frustrate me are:

1. Hyper-Agressive AI city spam: I've had AI's pretty much build nothing but settlers, and attempt to put a city WHEREVER they could. Sometimes civ's will make a few settlers, ignore perfectly good spots near their capital, and instead march an incredible distance to place a city next to my capital. This is especially annoying when in TSL, when india places all its cities in Siberia, while Persia, Arabia, Siam, and even one time RUSSIA place cities on the Indian subcontinent. The Iroquois spam cities in every single corner of north america, 3 tiles at a time, including the empty snow islands above canada. The one time this uber aggresive city placement was actually entertaining and tactical was when I was playing TSL and China, india, and myself where racing to colonise Oceana, India settled west Australia, China Settled the rest of australia, Indonesia, New Guinea, and Most of the Pacific Islands including Hawaii, And I settled New zealand. Then later down the line, The Iroquis and the Inca had colonization plans of their own, and the Iroquis conquered Alot of China's pacific territory, Korea, East siberia and Kamchatka; while the Inca conquered Indias Australian territory, and even Sri lanka and southern india. That was a cool game.

2. "They think you are a warmongering menace to the world". Nuff said.

3. When civ's friendly to me have to interrupt what I'm doing to give me a choice between pissing them off or keeping influence with a city state I need. Seriously, if you take influence from or are fighting the ally of a city state, just don't even mention it. I don't need to hear about it.

4. When Civ's Interrupt an awesome soundtrack to tell me about how they don't like that their favourite city state likes me more than them, or how they think I'm a wierdo for liking Gustavus Adolphas.

5. Austria. Nuff said.

Wow, I'm kinda surprised! :) So far, none of the stated things ever really bothered me.

The BIG ONE however, the first and only thing I could think of when I heard "most frustrating thing", for me is the friggin' Religion Bomb of the Great Prophets :mad:. It has single-handedly killed a large portion of my initially huge enjoyment of religion for me.

The turning point was one game as the Vikings which was going well for me, I lovingly crafted all aspects of my religion, Norse Mythology, and had conquered and converted my continent. Then I met Egypt on another continent, and we got along great. Then suddenly... they Religion Bombed my capitol, and shortly thereafter, my other cities. Within a couple of turns, I had lost all my faith production (from Desert Folklore) and a lot of happiness and gold, crippling my empire. I rage quit that game :(.

Just the potential of that happening again has made me a bit paranoid about constantly checking my borders for "friendly" units, and made religion less fun, since hundreds of turns of careful micromanaging of Beliefs and Missionaries can be destroyed in an instant. Especially since I suspect that the AIs can get the Prophets much quicker than humans can, like everything else on Immortal.

I sincerely, strongly hope that Great Prophets will be patched as soon as possible to only work on your own cities (like Inquisitors, who work fine) and, maybe, City-States.

Thanks for reading, sorry, got a bit carried away, but I wanted to get that out of my system :lol:. Isn't there anyone else who has the same problem?

When I see an opposing great prophet coming into my empire I am forced to immediately declare war on them and kill it because of their incredible power.

They can take a city of 20 people and convert it instantly. If you have tithe you just lost5 gold per turn. You lose all your religion buildings. The faith you have to expend in order to remedy this problem is insane.

Literally your only choice is to go to war.

When I see an opposing great prophet coming into my empire I am forced to immediately declare war on them and kill it because of their incredible power.

They can take a city of 20 people and convert it instantly. If you have tithe you just lost5 gold per turn. You lose all your religion buildings. The faith you have to expend in order to remedy this problem is insane.

Literally your only choice is to go to war.

You don't lose your religion buildings. As others have noted, conversion can be avoided with an inquisitor. You can also use 1UPT to herd the prophet or pin him against impassible terrain.

"Embarked" units, single units swimming around in open sea. Can`t be any more stupid
than this. And it totally riuns seafaring, one of historys greatest chapters.

Civ has gotten wery far down in the dirt, I`ll really check out a few things before i consider buying another of these games.

- oh yeah, elephants. All around everywhere, even up in the arctics. Good thong it`s easy to remove them

Top Bottom