City States Update

Prague also pretty much rules them out, it was an absolutely vital part of the Holy Roman Empire and the capital for long periods of time. Another key city, Vienna, is also the capital of Austria. So yeah, whilst it's not impossible, the lack of Vienna and Prague, as well as the alphabetical achievement list (which could be wrong for whatever reason) pretty much rules them out.

Yeah. Besides, with no Prague, as well as Austria, France and Germany all in the game, there isn't really anything they could based HRE on.

I wonder if there is any Northern Italy-style civ that they could have gone with and that could include Venice, Genoa and Florence?

Nothing really comes to mind, as outside of Italy and the Roman empire, they have never been united under a single ruler (even for a short period, like Athens or Sparta under Alexander).

Edit: There is of Lombardy and the Ostrogothic Kingdom, I guess, but both are out due to the alphabet theory.

Kingdom of Lombards did not have Venice (stayed under Byzantice control). Byzantines under Justinian was the last to unite them before Savoy's Kingdom of Italy.

Milan and Venice were united under Napolean's Kingdom of Italy, but meanwhile Florence was part of the Kingdom of Etruria and then the French empire.

Not that I'm advocating any of these entities for inclusion in the game.

Plus all of them are out due to the alphabet theory.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced the missing civ is Venice. If it turns out not to be Venice, I will be very surprised.

Well, Sicily is still in, I guess (much more likely than Slovenia). :p

But as a truly dark horse.

But that would assume Venice has just changed colours, which is unprecedented without a city state type change, which in itself in unprecedented without a new city state type being introduced.

Venice is a city in whatever civ is added essentially.

Im 90% sure it Venice, because of Riga. In my opinion there are still 2 other Civs that would make sense:

(Kingdom of) Sicily. One thing that would point to them is the Motte and Bailey improvement in the poster. After all Normans build some of these to the Kingdom of Sicily.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Sicily

Scythia/Sarmatia. They were really important at their time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythia

The Ostrogothic Kingdom predates Venice.

The Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia comes after the height of Venice's power, and more importantly would require Milan, who have already been seen as a city state.

Menzies, small correction:

You put Kiev and Ormus in the "Returning City-States" list rather than the "New City-States" list.

I hope Venice is the replacement of Marakkesh and the european civ is an older one like Scythians and maybe Thracians...

I hope Venice is the replacement of Marakkesh and the european civ is an older one like Scythians and maybe Thracians...

Thracians? don't think so.

also, Scythians would be cool. I wanted Khazars but that's not possible anymore. :rolleyes:

Where was Kiev seen? This makes me worried...

It was confirmed by a previewer apparently, they came across them in a game they played of it. Venice is as good as confirmed anyhow, if you're going to be worried about that, be worried now.

As much as I am happy that Kiev will be a CS in BNW, It's also a bit sad for me that there won't be a Ukraine/Kievan Rus' civ. Well, looks like we are getting Venice this time.

Menzies, small correction:

You put Kiev and Ormus in the "Returning City-States" list rather than the "New City-States" list.

Yep, both Kiev and Ormus are new city-states
You put them into the wrong column
Also, you misspelled Singapore

Yep, both Kiev and Ormus are new city-states
You put them into the wrong column
Also, you misspelled Singapore

I sure did.

I misspell a lot of things.

Can It be (holy) roman empire or would the alphabetizing be based on the H

It would be based on the H. Otherwise, it would be the Roman Empire, which is already in the game ;)

Top Bottom