LotR28 - Random Rollicking for Returning Refugees

I agree 100% on Vienna next. Since we're already at war with them, it's like Singapore was just begging to be our ally. I see no reason to deny them their request. Also agree on making them a puppet. That way our social policy price won't increase.

I'm a bit torn on Damascus. It has sugar, which will mean it'll pay for itself happiness-wise very quickly. We can puppet and raze later, which is probably the route I'd go, once we have a settler somewhere in the area to claim the sugar (maybe one NE (9) of the current location?). As a size 2 puppet, it creates 5 unhappiness (2 from pop, 2 from city count, and 1 from being conquered) which matches the 5 happies from the sugar while still providing a bit of cash and science.

I like to see that income around +23. We'll need that to support extra happiness buildings to support extra population to create extra research.

Roster:
Arathorn
Corbeau
ThERat -> just played
Jaffa Tamarin -> UP NOW
Kylearan -> on deck

Arathorn

pre-turn
Lyon has more citizens than useful tiles. Buy it a 65g hill tile to help with production.

Adjust Paris for growth (we want more scientists for the library and upcoming university), other cities for less growth and more gold.

[IT]
Random insults from Gandhi.

turn 136
Promotions: Swordsman - medic. Archer - siege.

Damascus proves surprisingly resilient. We take it down to 0hp but our spearmen die in the assault.

Our swordsmen kill Viennese archers and win a promotion.

[IT]
Damascus bombards our fairly healthy archers instead of our nearly dead swordsmen. Fools.

turn 137
Our swordsmen are so nearly dead that I can't risk attacking even a 0hp city with them. They retreat to heal while I bring down our other swordsmen from up north.

Archers steal some unguarded workers. Our catapult bombards 0hp Damascus (because I want to see what will happen) and Damascus heals 3 points. I think this might be a bug.

turn 138
Paris finishes university, starts mint. Tours finishes colosseum, starts circus. Orleans finishes market, starts colosseum.

Catapult bombards Damascus again (for real damage, this time), and earns a promotion.

turn 139
Damascus is captured and turned into a puppet (because I need the city to protect the swordsmen). We are at +1 happiness. The silver turns out to be in Baghdad's culture boundary, not Damascus.

Troyes finishes catapult, starts building knight.

[IT]
Arabia sends troops to Damascus. Where have they been all this time?

turn 140
The situation at Damascus:

[IT]
Our archers are killed by a horseman ambush. Barbarians from a new camp between Orleans and Rome capture one of our workers.

turn 141
Our nearly-fully-healed swordsmen kill barbarians, rescue workers.

At Damascus we are outnumbered and actually in some amount of trouble, with the horsemen threatening our catapult. I retreat the catapult, and use some of our saved gold to buy a knight in Rome.

[IT]
The horsemen attack and almost kill our second archer unit. We learn about Banking!

turn 142
We splurge all our saved culture buying Rationalism policies, as per the plan. Two policies. Whee!

Now in a golden age for 5 turns, and also at -1 happiness, so I re-arrange all our citizens off of food tiles.

Wounded archers retreat. With city barrage and catapult we are able to kill the horsemen.

Research: Engineering.

[IT]
Arabian units mostly retreat.

turn 143
Our new knight arrives and takes out some spearmen. Damascus seems to be secured.

[IT]
Harun al-Rashid offers Peace.

23 gpt? For sure we will let him bankrupt himself while we consolidate our position.
And then I get rid of the horses and bump it up to 30gpt.

turn 144

[IT]
"The Seoul civilization has been conquered!"

turn 145
Rome has finished it's courthouse, we are now back in +ve happiness.

I selected Forbidden Palace as next build, but it isn't started yet. I've re-arranged Rome's citizens for max production.

We finished Engineering, I haven't selected the next research project. Our workers should start some lumber mills in forests around Rome ASAP, to help with FP build.

Our troops are healing, preparing for assault on Vienna.

Roster:
Arathorn -> on deck
Corbeau
ThERat
Jaffa Tamarin
Kylearan -> UP NOW

I will be out of town with limited internet tomorrow until Tuesday.

Attachments

• LotR28-700AD.Civ5Save
    578.6 KB · Views: 259
Nice turns there, Jaffa.

I still think we should go after Vienna as soon as our troops have healed. We'll get another maritime city-state on our side and make some progress on solidifying our hold on the continent.

If we've not gone back to growth, we should at least consider it. Even moreso after the GA ends.

Arathorn

Great peace deal we got! Agree to go right away after Vienna once we have the troops ready.

Vienna was the primary order of business. We were at war. A war I wanted to win.

Short story shorter...

We had too many forces for them to deal with. Can't raze, so I puppeted it. We'll probably need/want to take full control at some point, but I didn't, because I wanted to build more cities first.

I built two settlers. For the spots I wanted earlier. Both are still relatively open. We'll probably have to raze an Arabian city to get full use of the city, but that seems to be in cards anyway. :)

In other news, Arabia is after another city-state. They're going after Dublin. At this point, I'm just kinda watching. We're strong enough to go after Arabia now and our peace treaty has expired. But we're still getting 30 gpt for another 8 turns or so, and I see no reason to hurry.

Tech-wise, I snagged the ultra-cheap Sailing and Optics, so we can explore the sea at some point. I also grabbed Metal Casting and Steel. I see no reason not to grab Gunpowder and our continent in the next 100 turns. We just need to keep happiness growing. Military, I don't think it will be a big problem.

On happiness, I have Rome working on the Forbidden Palace as rapidly as possible. Workers have tried to hone the area, too. Also, our social policies give us +1 happiness/university, and we like universities anyway, so don't forget them.

Culture-wise, we are doing OK and are not TOO far from another policy. More cities will help with that, long-term, because of our special trait.

Science-wise, we seem to be doing well. Something else can help and remains unused. What do we want to do with him? (Probably snag a tech is my opinion).

Ky is UP after the swap.

Arathorn

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0042.jpg
    Civ5Screen0042.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 814
  • Civ5Screen0044.jpg
    Civ5Screen0044.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 839
  • LotR28-900ad.Civ5Save
    589 KB · Views: 251
No word from Ky. I hope (and pray) he's OK. Since there's nothing we can do for him at this point in real life, all we can do is focus on the game. He's missed his 24 hours to claim the game. With the other information about being ill, I'm going to try work on keeping things moving.

If we've not heard from him in about 8 hours, I think we should call his swap a skip and move on with the game. That would put Corbeau up. Feel free to claim if 8 hours pass and we have no word from Ky. If Ky does claim, we'll go with the original swap plan.

Roster:
Arathorn
Corbeau
ThERat
Jaffa Tamarin
Kylearan

Arathorn

Hey, guess what I did today? That's right: come down sick! :cry:

I did play the turnset, but no fancy report. In large part because I didn't do much; mostly settling. I settled the jungle city and got a worker down there to begin development. I also settled the gold city, and have a worker almost to the gold itself. I was tempted to settle on top of the gold, but then the city would have absolutely no worthwhile hammer-tile. So I settled next to the gold and purchased a Lighthouse. It may be a fishing village, but at least it'll be a functional one! Yeah, it's not cheap and it means delaying on buying off a maritime city-state, but we're already at happy cap and have a conquest push coming up before long. Plus I've been experimenting with coastal fishing cities in a solo game and found them surprisingly beneficial for long-term cash flow.

Arabia is pressuring Dublin pretty hard. I didn't want to go to war on their behalf though, not the least because gold-per-turn deals last 30(!) turns in Civ 5 and Arabia is still paying us massive loads of cash. Instead, I made a debatable call by gifting our nearby longsword to Dublin. They've used it to wreck the incoming Arabian siege units, which is definitely something, but I'm still uneasy about giving up the unit.

We've just finished Gunpowder. One possibility for military action would be to pop the Great Scientist (which I've saved, since an Academy seems of lesser benefit right now) to get Cannons. We'd then have overpowering artillery to accompany our Musketeer force, and could probably sweep the continent. In actual research I'd suggest heading up the maritime-ish tree towards Public Schools, which would boost our science game further.

Oh, and I popped a second Great General way down south while sweeping up some northern barbarians. Don't ask me how that geography works. We could either save him to help lead our upcoming continental sweep, or burn him for a golden age to pump out our initial Musketeer/Cannon force as quickly as possible (as well as replenish the coffers).

Attachments

• LotR28-1050ad.Civ5Save
    606.1 KB · Views: 261
ok, seems I am up since Kylearan needs a full round of skip

What are our plans? I need to look at the save first before commenting.

Roster:
Arathorn -> wondering about the Civ5 virus
Corbeau -> JUST PLAYED
ThERat -> UP NOW (your turn to get sick)
Jaffa Tamarin -> ON DECK (wash your hands well)
Kylearan -> hopefully on road to recovery

I would use a great general on a golden age. I've found GAs around this time period to be almost a necessity, for building up troops and infrastructure simultaneously. We need/want colosseums and trading posts and markets and all kinds of things, so I would vote GA with one general.

I'd use the scientist for a tech, probably to get cannons. No hurry to sweep our continent, as 30 gpt is very nice. And we'll want a happiness buffer before we go out conquering.

Arathorn

btw, I am pretty sick since Sunday (caught a flu). is this a new swine flu or what? anyway, am playing tomorrow.

edit: Seems I can't open the save. I get a runtime error and if I use Gyathaar's tool the game crashes as well. Can anyone try this out?

That's just fine as it is pretty late here. I am sick and at home tomorrow and am able to play then.

I tried converting the save using Gyathaar's very cool tool. Didn't work for me, either. Crashed Civ5. One of the other games is having this problem, too. Gyathaar is already aware of it and working on a solution. He's so awesome. I think we'll just have to hang out and wait for that solution before we can continue playing. The saves are corrupt in a number of ways, so Gyathaar is not only fixing the lack of interoperability, he's also working to fix a bad corruption in the program itrself.

Arathorn

I can load the save in deluxe edition, but it crashes if I remove the deluxe DLC.

I think it's better for deluxe edition people to remove the deluxe DLC when playing SGs, to have a properly standard-edition-compatible game, instead of relying on the save-editing tool.

I can load the save in deluxe edition, but it crashes if I remove the deluxe DLC.

I think it's better for deluxe edition people to remove the deluxe DLC when playing SGs, to have a properly standard-edition-compatible game, instead of relying on the save-editing tool.

How do you do this? If it's possible to disable the DLC, then I could do that, resave, and reupload.

Top Bottom