[MOD] Fall from Heaven

My units promote funny. I figure this could have to do with requiring buildings to build units. If I ave them fortifying some cities, they can't be promoted, even though those fortifying other cities can be promoted. Likewise sometimes I can move them out into parts of the countryside to promote them, but not other parts.

I'm not sure if it's because of the preceding, but I can't promote my Galleys to Galleons. I'm wondering if it's intentional that Galleys no longer promote, or if I simply need to find the right location to be able to.

I've played three maps and can't seem to find any mithril. I figure at least one ought to exist on every map. Maybe I'm just being confused and not looking in the right place, but I haven't seen it pop up on the map yet.

Genesis was cool, but I wasn't certain what it would do when I was building it. I'll look again for a description in case I missed it. I think it's important this is given it's due detail. In addition to terraforming much of my land, it also took out my fishing boats in the effected area, which was an uncool addition since it otherwise had no effect on the water. I rebuilt my boats and took control of those resources again.

Any plans for fantasy submersibles to take the place of submarines? Like summoning a kraken, or training lobster warriors?

Any plans for special wood resources? I don't anything about the world you seem to be basing the mod on, but I figure not everyone is big on metalworking. Bone, Shell, and Wooden resources to provide weapons/armor/etc. would be neat.

By the way, I think the setting for experience cap past promotion is in the globaldefines.xml.

There is such a thing as a bad isolated start on an island without rivers so your tech advancement is slow no matter what. It happens, restart or deal with it. I like the tech advancement speeds personally.

Agraza said:
My units promote funny. I figure this could have to do with requiring buildings to build units. If I ave them fortifying some cities, they can't be promoted, even though those fortifying other cities can be promoted. Likewise sometimes I can move them out into parts of the countryside to promote them, but not other parts.

If the building is available you should be able to promote. I will check and see what is allowing unit to be promoted in the wilderness (I noticed it in one of my games and I think that with Catacombs Libralus you are able to upgrade adepts anywhere).

I'm not sure if it's because of the preceding, but I can't promote my Galleys to Galleons. I'm wondering if it's intentional that Galleys no longer promote, or if I simply need to find the right location to be able to.

No, they aren't set to upgrade. I will fix that in 0.60.

I've played three maps and can't seem to find any mithril. I figure at least one ought to exist on every map. Maybe I'm just being confused and not looking in the right place, but I haven't seen it pop up on the map yet.

I will pull up a few maps and make sure it always appears in at least a few places. Mithril is most often found up in the cold areas. I'll check and make sure it's popping, it should be rare but at least a few on each map.

Genesis was cool, but I wasn't certain what it would do when I was building it. I'll look again for a description in case I missed it. I think it's important this is given it's due detail. In addition to terraforming much of my land, it also took out my fishing boats in the effected area, which was an uncool addition since it otherwise had no effect on the water. I rebuilt my boats and took control of those resources again.

I love Genesis, when I get it fixed it will upgrade every tile the player controls. It does destroy all improvements in the effected areas. Orgionally I needed to destory the improvement as part of the code, but looking into it now I think I know a way to retain the improvements. I will try it out.

Any plans for fantasy submersibles to take the place of submarines? Like summoning a kraken, or training lobster warriors?

Maybe when I can get some new models, although I love the idea I don't have any models that are even close to that.

Any plans for special wood resources? I don't anything about the world you seem to be basing the mod on, but I figure not everyone is big on metalworking. Bone, Shell, and Wooden resources to provide weapons/armor/etc. would be neat.

I better get the current to pop correctly before I start adding new ones. :). And yes, I have planned on some additional t4 resources. I think the early game is full of reosurces to get, I would like the late game to use rare resources to spark conflicts.

By the way, I think the setting for experience cap past promotion is in the globaldefines.xml.

You are correct, thanks.

Just played some more with this great mod, I started fresh & played slowly.
It's amazing that even with 2 wariors I can kick ass the computer in the begining.
I sent 2 wariors to gain XP & had 2 level 5 wariors, I checked around my AI enemies & saw that there wariors had to the most level 2 wariors, so I attacked & kicked ass of two civilizations.
Later in the game I played easy & went for the dwarves techs, and only then to AXE MAN.
I have to say that the AI is just plain wrong, may be because the tech jumble he doesn't know what to choose.
I concluded the following :

1) The AI doesn't do well at all with choosing his promotions & I saw that in all my games in most mods,here it's more important because in the beggining you have only warior for a long time. I don't know what can be done.

2) in early game even when I tried to do things slow so I could kill giants & other mosters & only fought regular barb, I think the culture should slow down in the beginning or let special barb units to roam more often for the interest.
May be let the monster loose when the player achive the tech that allow promotion against them (can't remember the name), if it's possible.

3)Make special units as dwarves & Elvs Civ specific, I don't see how one these two can get along together in one CIV on peace.

4)Tighten the tech (I know it was mentioned already).

5) Help somehow to the AI to get along with the techs, may be only in late stage when you make the CIVs for these game (I think you mantioned it - if not never mind).

* can you make an auto promotions for units with >30 experinece, lets say HERO promotion, this promotion will make other units in the same stack better or something like that.
Your mod is the the one I love most, I can't wait to the next verion. I alwayes stop & do not continue to later stages in game play because those wonders/building that don't work.

Kael said:
It sound like your mod/Fall from Heaven/ directory has the ini file in it but does it have the Assets directory? Does the assets directory have files in it?

Either that or you have copied a bunch of your assets files into your custom assets directory (Im not sure which is prefered, mod files or custom assets files).

Well it doesn't seem to be specific to your mod. I downloaded abbamouse's religions mod, and the same thing happened.

I've got C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\Fall from Heaven for my path, and then an Assets folder within that. The .ini file is in the Fall from Heaven folder, and I stuck everything else in the assets folder. That didn't work, so I created subfolders for Art, XML and Python (like the mods that came with the game have), and that didn't do anything either. Is there something else obvious I should try before reinstalling the game from scratch?

Thanks again.

Llabak said:
Well it doesn't seem to be specific to your mod. I downloaded abbamouse's religions mod, and the same thing happened.

I've got C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\Fall from Heaven for my path, and then an Assets folder within that. The .ini file is in the Fall from Heaven folder, and I stuck everything else in the assets folder. That didn't work, so I created subfolders for Art, XML and Python (like the mods that came with the game have), and that didn't do anything either. Is there something else obvious I should try before reinstalling the game from scratch?

Thanks again.

Do the mods that came with the game work?

mamimo said:
Just played some more with this great mod, I started fresh & played slowly.
It's amazing that even with 2 wariors I can kick ass the computer in the begining.
I sent 2 wariors to gain XP & had 2 level 5 wariors, I checked around my AI enemies & saw that there wariors had to the most level 2 wariors, so I attacked & kicked ass of two civilizations.
Later in the game I played easy & went for the dwarves techs, and only then to AXE MAN.
I have to say that the AI is just plain wrong, may be because the tech jumble he doesn't know what to choose.
I concluded the following :

1) The AI doesn't do well at all with choosing his promotions & I saw that in all my games in most mods,here it's more important because in the beggining you have only warior for a long time. I don't know what can be done.

2) in early game even when I tried to do things slow so I could kill giants & other mosters & only fought regular barb, I think the culture should slow down in the beginning or let special barb units to roam more often for the interest.
May be let the monster loose when the player achive the tech that allow promotion against them (can't remember the name), if it's possible.

3)Make special units as dwarves & Elvs Civ specific, I don't see how one these two can get along together in one CIV on peace.

4)Tighten the tech (I know it was mentioned already).

5) Help somehow to the AI to get along with the techs, may be only in late stage when you make the CIVs for these game (I think you mantioned it - if not never mind).

* can you make an auto promotions for units with >30 experinece, lets say HERO promotion, this promotion will make other units in the same stack better or something like that.
Your mod is the the one I love most, I can't wait to the next verion. I alwayes stop & do not continue to later stages in game play because those wonders/building that don't work.

Im hoping that all the balance changes you and others have recommended for 0.60 will address these issues.

I thought about having the religion specifc units destroyed if a player switches religions. But I don't really want to lock players that tightly into their starting religion and I was worried that it could be used as an exploit against computer opponents that were heavy in religion units. Thats why I opted to let people retain their units from former religions.

Warriors/Axemen/Macemen will be weaker in 0.60 and the anti-unit promotions will be reduced slightly, I think that will help a lot. I will look and see if I can weight the promotions a bit to get the computer to prioritize them a bit better.

Yeah I could give out a promotion that effected other units in the stack. I would probably tend to give an ability like this to a t4 spellcaster unit rather than just a unit promotion. Sorta like the bless spell, or I could have a unit that has a chance to ressurect defeated units that share its tile.

The wonders/buildings will definitly be fixed on Friday (as well as a bunch of other stuff). I will be looking forward to your post 0.60 feedback.

Kael said:
Yeah I could give out a promotion that effected other units in the stack. I would probably tend to give an ability like this to a t4 spellcaster unit rather than just a unit promotion. Sorta like the bless spell, or I could have a unit that has a chance to ressurect defeated units that share its tile.

That's great, however what I am shooting for is to possibilty to have HEROES, lets say like a National Unit only 3-5 of them & with only one or two from diffrent type of units : melee/archer/spelcaster ... one could not build a HERO, a HERO should form in the heat of battle ;) ... I am sure you know what I am getting at.

Insted of a promotion it can be a chance that after # level a unit can transform to a HERO.
Similar to ARMY in previous CIVs, but diffrent approuch.

Only if it's duable, of course.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
can't wait untill friday

Llabak said:

Thanks again.

I know this may sound obvious, but are you sure the mods arent working? Its just a hunch i have after you said the game didnt look any different. It doesnt initially for this (and im guessing the Religion) Mod, and therefore you may think it isnt working. If that isnt the case, then my apologies.

I had a similar problem to yours, except it was the mods i were creating that werent working, and what i did was reinstall the game completely, and then downloaded the patch from the www.civiv.com website, and now they work fine (apart from one or two little errors, mainly in MY xml coding! hehe).

Anyways, hope that helps. I understand how frustrating it can be when it is not working correctly,especially the mods which i believe are 1 of the most fun aspects of the game. You have my sympathy, and i would recommend downloading the patch for the game aswell if you do decided you want to reinstall!

mrkingkong

Absolutely brilliant mod. I've been waiting for a mod like this to come out for a while. I haven't had a whole lot of time to stress the mod, but I'm going to start putting in some good test time soon.

Incidentally Kael, are you a fan of the (heroes of) might and magic family of games? A lot of your concepts run parallel to that game universe. Furthermore, since your mod is not commercial software, you might be able to obtain permission to use some old M&M skins and stuff.

And if you can't get permission, odds are you can get forgiveness. ;) Again, as long as this mod never sees a dime you can basically do what you want as long as you avoid plagiarism by giving proper credits.

And while I'm on the subject, if you want fantasy music, look no further than Heroes of Might and Magic IV. The "flavor" and quality of the music is comparable to the midieval period in civ4, and the game installs them conveniently as mp3s.

Hi, I downloaded this mod and I had a few error messages as the game was restarting. I was able to start the mod but I noticed that the civs are the same as in the original game, also I noticed that the trojan horse is actually a tank. I just want to know if this was because of some file incompatablility due to the error messages got or because this mod is in the building stages, Thanks.

i don't know if you like it or not, but i'm TRYING (first shot didn't work) to create civilizations (almost completely based on Age of Wonders II). but when it works and is completed the first version should contain the following civs:
- The Elves (fellowship of Leaves); starting techs 'Animal Husbandary' and 'Ancient Chants'
- The Humans (the order); starting techs 'Fishing' and 'The Wheel'
- The Dwarves (Runes of Kilmorph); starting techs 'Mining' and 'Tracking'
- The Undead (The Ashen Veil); starting techs 'Militia' and 'Warfare' (or is this too overpowering)
- The Shadow Demons (Octopus Overlords); starting techs 'Mysticism' and 'Ancient Chants'

The names i used here are ripped from aow2:sm and my leaderheads and their names (so far) are ripped from here as well, but i'll try to find some more pics to add that are not ripped from aow2 :)
i also might add some more civs to the game eventually, but first i need this to work.

1.I like the ideas for the civs, but think that each civ should actually be humans, just with different city graphics.
Of course each civ should have only one possible religion.

2.and what are the armageddon spells?
UN resolutions?

3.Will you give the archer units ranged attacks?
just the marskman?

4.When one of my immortals dies, does it get reborn with its old experience?

More fireballs!!!

and events goping to be added soon?

Haarbal said:
i don't know if you like it or not, but i'm TRYING (first shot didn't work) to create civilizations (almost completely based on Age of Wonders II). but when it works and is completed the first version should contain the following civs:
- The Elves (fellowship of Leaves); starting techs 'Animal Husbandary' and 'Ancient Chants'
- The Humans (the order); starting techs 'Hunting' and ?
- The Dwarves (Runes of Kilmorph); starting techs 'Mining' and 'Bronze Working' (not sure if this is a starting tech)
- The Undead (The Ashen Veil); starting techs 'conquest' and ?
- The Shadow Demons (Octopus Overlords); starting techs ?

The names i used here are ripped from aow2:sm and my leaderheads and their names (so far) are ripped from here as well, but i'll try to find some more pics to add that are not ripped from aow2 :)
i also might add some more civs to the game eventually, but first i need this to work.

p.s. the ? will be filled in, in about an hour

I was on the verge of doing something similar, but wasn't sure if I wanted to only have the 5 racial civs. I'm with loki that maybe have 10 or so human, undead, whatever civs, but leave the ability for all to worship any religion. You can train Elven archers, but maybe only because you worship the Leaves do they come to your banner?

If you could come up with 8-12 civs with Fantasy names, new city names, and fantasy LHs that would be a cool start. Think of the dwarves, elves, ect as mercenaries or followers that come to you when you convert or discover their religion.

Just brainstorming, keep up the AoW thoughts. :)

i'm also planning to do more civ's, but first I want to get these working. i can plan a lot, but if it wont work, it's completely useless :)

if someone knows city names, you can always PM me (I need a nice capital name for the overlords :))
Capital names so far:
Dwarf: Khazak
Elf: Evermore
Human: Timberling or Stormgul (not really happy with theis ones as capital names)
Overlords (shadow demons): ?
Undead: Astrakam or Defalos, not quite sure yet.

haarbal

Well, if I were you I'd head over to the Civ3 forums and "borrow" some city names from either Mystara or Master of Myrror. Both were great Fantasy mods that had dwarven, elven, and orcish city names and LHs.

Adding these civs shouldn't be too difficult after you do all of the busy work in the proper xml files. The hard part would involve altering the tech tree so that the elven (or any other racial) stuff can only go to that one civ. Setting up neutral civs that can get any of the techs would be easier.

Incidentally Kael, are you a fan of the (heroes of) might and magic family of games? A lot of your concepts run parallel to that game universe. Furthermore, since your mod is not commercial software, you might be able to obtain permission to use some old M&M skins and stuff.

I agree. That's probably a good place to start. I remember playing the Heroes of Might and Magic mod for Civlization II, and it was probably the most fun I'd had with computer games in a long while. That was years and years ago, of course. I just thought it was really well done, although it differed from this mod in that each civ was a different faction and could build different units based on their faction (like Haarbal is trying to do). Also, that mod had some cool terrain tiles. I remember that they'd have a special terrain for each civ that was scattered around the map in rare quantities. For example, there was a Nature Node for the nature magic civ, a Sorcery Node for the sorcerer civ, etc. I too believe this mod could be "tightened" (that seems to be the goal) if each civ was separate, but I understand how that sort of takes away some of the strategy and options created by religion. Anyway, I should be home tonight so I'll play some and give a report later.

ﻢﻜﻴﻠﻋ ﻢﻼﺴﻟﺍ

Dunno about anyone else, but I've found that starting an age ahead is the best way to play this mod. Cuts down the time spent with the hunters :p

Aeon221 said:
Dunno about anyone else, but I've found that starting an age ahead is the best way to play this mod. Cuts down the time spent with the hunters :p

Who gets the religions that way? I know I can try it when I get home, but I'm curious now. :)

woodelf said:
Adding these civs shouldn't be too difficult after you do all of the busy work in the proper xml files. The hard part would involve altering the tech tree so that the elven (or any other racial) stuff can only go to that one civ. Setting up neutral civs that can get any of the techs would be easier.

i know that is isn't that hard to add some civs, but when i tried it yesterday, it didn't work for me, so i will be trying again tonight :p.
after that is shouldnt be so hard to add more civs.

haarbal

Top Bottom