RevolutionDCM for BTS

Just to make sure, is it possible using RevDCM to actually "Defect and lead the rebel army"? I'm currently working on Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn with Afforess and the rest of the team and I've discovered that this particular feature of RevDCM was never working. Actually it never worked in original Rise of Mankind too, even before A New Dawn development started. When you choose to defect, you actually get control over a new civ (and no cities, of course), but you can't end your turn and as soon as you attack another unit, the game zooms in to the battlefield and hangs there after the battle is over. Any idea of what's happening or can you at least confirm it's working properly in the mod? Is there any place in the code that I should check?

Hi ya 45 really appreciate what you and the RAND community have done. I'm really rusty on RevDCM mod these days. The thing to do would be to just get back to the basics of the Revolutions mod code. Here is the last known version of pure Revolutions mod where defect and lead should be working (in single player at least):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=355300

As of mid 2010 at the time when Civ5 was released, RevolutionMP was the revolutions standard we used to compare functionality against. Ironically the only things broken in RevolutionMP was some parts of multiplayer which I think has since been fixed in RAND mod.

I think (not 100% sure) defect and lead is broken in RevDCM as well which would be why it is also broken in RAND.

EDIT: on another topic, there is some functionality in RevDCM which I think RAND has still not ported over. In RevDCM 2.90 you can automate spy counter-espionage which I think you still can't do in RAND? It is not important, just thought I would mention it.

Hi ya 45 really appreciate what you and the RAND community have done. I'm really rusty on RevDCM mod these days. The thing to do would be to just get back to the basics of the Revolutions mod code. Here is the last known version of pure Revolutions mod where defect and lead should be working (in single player at least):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=355300

As of mid 2010 at the time when Civ5 was released, RevolutionMP was the revolutions standard we used to compare functionality against. Ironically the only things broken in RevolutionMP was some parts of multiplayer which I think has since been fixed in RAND mod.

I think (not 100% sure) defect and lead is broken in RevDCM as well which would be why it is also broken in RAND.

EDIT: on another topic, there is some functionality in RevDCM which I think RAND has still not ported over. In RevDCM 2.90 you can automate spy counter-espionage which I think you still can't do in RAND? It is not important, just thought I would mention it.

Ok, tested and it doesn't work; it probably never ever worked. I wasn't able to test it in RevMP, but I've tested in RevDCM, the version I can download from your signature and it doesn't work there either. The problem is always the same: when you get in control of the new civ, whatever you do (attack a unit or move one of yours) the game hangs there. You can't click end of turn, not before nor after moving any unit. If I save the game and reload (after having got control of the rebels), I'm back in control of the old civ, but I can't play further because the game is stuck "Waiting for other civs". The only thing I've been able to do, is to use a rebel spy (although it got caught). If you have any other idea, it would be helpful. Thanks. :)

With the hang, does clicking anywhere in the mini map fix the hang? That is a known fix for hangs at the end of a battle. Maybe this is related.

With the hang, does clicking anywhere in the mini map fix the hang? That is a known fix for hangs at the end of a battle. Maybe this is related.
Uh, I didn't know it, I'll try when I get home.
@Keldath, I've played with AND up to modern era with revolution ON some months ago, with few OOS and none related to Revolution.

Well, clicking on the minimap ended the battle but then I got in control of the following unit and when I tried to move it, game hung again. It looks like I can't get in control of the "following unit" if that makes any sense to you.

45, defect and lead did work in the original Revolutions mod vintage 2008-9. It probably also worked in early versions of RevDCM vintage 2009 as well. Something along the way broke it 2009-2010. I suspect it broke when we tried to make Revolutions multi-player compatible. That would make sense considering the mechanics involved in defect and lead involve player changing. I am way to rusty to go into any detail.

Hi ya Keldath and others!

EDIT: The whole RevDCM development history is recorded on tortoiseSVN if needed

45, defect and lead did work in the original Revolutions mod vintage 2008-9. It probably also worked in early versions of RevDCM vintage 2009 as well. Something along the way broke it 2009-2010. I suspect it broke when we tried to make Revolutions multi-player compatible. That would make sense considering the mechanics involved in defect and lead involve player changing. I am way to rusty to go into any detail.

Hi ya Keldath and others!

EDIT: The whole RevDCM development history is recorded on tortoiseSVN if needed
I'll have a look at older revisions then. Thanks again glider1!

Ok, I need more testing when I have time but it looks like everything was working up to revision 425 (ver 2.7), at rev550 it was still working more or less but you were getting in control of defecting units 1 turn later. So somewhere in between the code got broken, possibly in trying to make it work for MP. When I discover more, I'll report my findings here. :)

45°38'N-13°47'E;13836373 said:
Ok, I need more testing when I have time but it looks like everything was working up to revision 425 (ver 2.7), at rev550 it was still working more or less but you were getting in control of defecting units 1 turn later. So somewhere in between the code got broken, possibly in trying to make it work for MP. When I discover more, I'll report my findings here. :)

Well done 45 for tracking that down thanks for reporting your findings!

Well done 45 for tracking that down thanks for reporting your findings!
I've restricted the number of revisions to take in exam. Up to Rev509 everything was working fine. Then it was still working but there was 1 turn delay before you get control of rebels. Up to Rev555 it still works like this. In Rev600, defect wasn't working. So problem is between 555 and 600, I'll let you know more.

Ok, critical revisions are:
rev510: starting from this revision, you get control of defecting army on the following turn you decide to defect. This leaves you 1 turn to delete all your old (loyal) units before taking control of rebels (possible exploit).
It keeps working like this until revision 557; at rev558 there were no more defecting rebels because python was updated but not the dll; this has partially been fixed in revision 561 when rebels are being spawned again but the game hangs, like it's happening in every following revision until the current one.

This is the situation. I hope I can find a solution but I'm not sure how phungus420 changed the code, I guess I'll have to try something and see how it goes.

Edit: Mmmm, I'll test more tomorrow but maybe it's just a python problem in rev558, not a dll problem in rev 560-561. I'll keep you informed.

Well, it certainly will be useful to learn more about the Revolutions code. Jdog5000 was one of Civfanatics greatest coders and contributors but despite his talent he was constantly battling the bad design decision to mix DLL/Python in the Revolutions mod (he didn't have to worry about it in his BetterAI project). He wanted to go full DLL but never got around to it. Phungus420 was thinking about converting the entire mod to DLL as late as 2011 but it never happened.

Well, I think I've fixed it easily. Probably it was just a python line of code that shouldn't have been there and was inserted and removed through different revisions. I've tested it in single player and MP using multiple instances of civ on the same PC and now defect option works both in RevDCM and in A New Dawn. I still want to fix the problem of rebels being spawned the following turn but I'll let you know what was wrong as soon as I can.

Top Bottom