Map descriptions?

SteelSterling

Prince
I've looked but can't seem to find it. I usually play with the continents map as I like exploring and finding new civs. I don't know why but I enjoy feeling like a big fish in a small pond; until I find new land with much more powerful civs.
Are there any other maps like that or do they all put all civs on one landmass? I've heard people say that perfect world is good and perfect mongoose, et al, but I have no idea what the differences are.

PerfectWorld2 and PerfectMongoose are similar (although often I find PW gives too much forest and not enough rugged terrains and PM gives waaaaay too much land at the poles), but both are far more advanced and give far nicer continents than the Continents mapscript. PerfectMongoose is the newer version, tweaked from PerfectWorld2 with an upgraded climate system.

They try and create actual climate zones and continental plates, so you get proper regions of deserts or plains, dense tropical forests, temperate forests with open lush glades, etc, all depending on rainfall and temperature. And real mountain ranges that sometimes span entire continents and can block movement and protect empires. Of course all this means the maps take longer to generate, several minutes depending on size.

Anyway, they both have the option when doing a custom game of "new world" and "break pangeas". New world describes whether civs at the start should all start on the same landmass or not, and break pangeas attempts to break up large supercontinents. However this last one is iffy, like you can ask it to break pangeas and you still end up with everything connected by land bridges, or not break pangeas and still have lots of isolated continents.

You can go in to the map file itself (Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\PrivateMaps\C2C_PerfectMongoose_v310.py) with a text editor and change a few things there as well. Like percentage of mountains and the limits of how much heat is required for each terrain (good if you want to create a desert world or ice world).

Other mapscripts which can be good for continents and which allow more precise control for that, at the expense of less "realistic" looking worlds, are SmartMap and Planet_Generator. If you want to be able to control exactly how many continents and islands there are, and how far away they are, these are better for this.

Top Bottom