The Deity Challenge Line-up #37 - France

Looks that I'm the only one playing this map :( (probably new DCl every 10 days during the middle of summer is not the best idea).

Anyway I'm on 137 turn and one cap remained.

Spoiler :
Surprisingly due to huge amount of soldiers war with Persia was even harder than with Shoshone
(on screenshot you can see remainings of my second army - one musketeer and two XBs).

I'm just rebuild my first army, but it will take many turns to get to Montezuma cap :(

Attachments

• T137.jpg
    T137.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 222
You really don't seem to have many units

On screenshot is my shattered second army.

My main army moves slowly in the south from Shoshone towards Montezuma capital.

I gave one city conquered from Shoshone and ~20 gpt to get open borders from Montezuma what allowed me moves a little bit faster towards his capital.

Does someone know what makes what AI is willing to offer for peace?

I observed few times in this game that one turn they offered city or all gold, gpt, resources, etc; but on another only accepted white peace.

I suppose it is maybe because they think theirs situation is hopeless. :lol:

Attachments

• T151.jpg
    T151.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 228
Every turn it evaluates the damage you did to it and the damage it thinks you can do.
The first is a function of how many units you killed and cities you captured in comparison to what it still has.
The second is a function of your army strength compared to its.
It gives scores for different levels of these 2 and if the score reaches a threshold it will offer a peace going from white to total surrender.

There may be quirks in the code though that I may investigate some time because I've seen AIs wanting a generous peace before taking their caps and then nothing after.

There may be quirks in the code though that I may investigate some time because I've seen AIs wanting a generous peace before taking their caps and then nothing after.

I'm pretty sure that is by design for two reasons. First, it kinda simulates history and second it prevents player exploit of AI. So, you cant take the cap (which fulfills a victory condition) then milk them for all they are worth. Its one or the other. Sure you can make peace and declare again to take the cap, but that incurs diplo hits.

I've always had it in the back of my mind to play with it a bit, but never got around to it. I think you can get some really big deals including half their cities if you have a massive army sitting outside their cap. Then sell the cities to other AI, on and on.

I fancy my chances on this one. I don't see it under 250 but 270 range is realistic.

Spoiler :

Stole a worker from India, Indonesia, CS and a barb camp, then made a 5th one. 3 city NC by 90ish then added a 4th.

I then decided to try this out like Nick does, and make workshops before unis, it worked nicely as it only delayed unis by around 5 turns and now all cities look nice. If a world fair comes along, I have good chances to win since there are slight wars on both ends.

I mistimed Renaissance opener by 2 turns which was a bummer and all wonders went flying quickly, so I'm pushing operas to try and get Hermitage reasonably quickly. I'll probably use Oxford on a crap tech and then try to steal as many artifacts as I can

One screenie says "This salt is MINE" a bit too explicitly :p

Attachments

• franc1.jpg
    franc1.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 188
  • franc2.jpg
    franc2.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 191
In the end it became a bit of a drag because I mistimed lots of stuff and the Musicians came out a bit later than I wanted them. Overall, a fairly decent game in which my cities grew about as big as the territory allowed. The map was all kinds of cramped but at least happiness was never a problem, once I hit double digits with Order, I never looked back. Communism was so good, it caused a Revolution. I geared up for the World Fair that nobody got to propose until it was too late so I proposed Games instead and managed to lose by a landslide despite everyone else being at war at the time. Last 20 or so turns were really half assed as I just waited for the Musicians to get out and end it. Last set of screenies shows what one stashed nuke does :lol:

Attachments

• 3afr.jpg
    3afr.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 2afr.jpg
    2afr.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 1afr.jpg
    1afr.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 4afr.jpg
    4afr.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 5afr.jpg
    5afr.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 6afr.jpg
    6afr.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 7afr.jpg
    7afr.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 99
  • frans1-revo.jpg
    frans1-revo.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 117
  • franswin.jpg
    franswin.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 170
Well I have to report a loss here. Was aiming for a culture victory but was beaten by the
Spoiler :
Ottomons
who conquered 2 neighbors and got a SV not long after turn 300.

The city science penalty really didn't seem to slow him down at all - even when he owned nearly half the map. Even more curious is that he had no friends for most/if not all of the game so no research agreements which the AIs love. Diety gives the AI so much gold that they literally have continual RAs with all their friends. This is another incentive for the player to bribe AIs to attack friends as it dissolves the RA and ensures they won't become friends again. Thus it theoretically at least should buy more time for the player to catch up.
I guess on Diety a large AI can grow so fast that they overcome the science penalty very quickly.

What shot me in the foot though was that I missed Sistine Chapel which
Spoiler :
Ottomons
conquered near the end so that slowed my tourism heaps :(
Then they win International Games even though I put every available hammer in to get it.
Then they built Great FireWall and tourism slowed to a trickle.
Then they denounce me and my open borders ends and I can't buy new open borders from a hostile AI even if I offer them 100gpt... So then tourism basically grinds to a halt and I ran out of Great musicians.

I also missed louvre (and sistine chapel) so with 2 of the best theming wonders gone I had to rely on the inferior Uffizi and Broadway. Missing those 2 wonders really makes a cultural victory very hard.

My one achievement though was getting my capital to be a world religion so that stacks very nicely with the theme bonuses that France offers. So that is one incentive for France to pursue a religion.

Was anyone able to build Petra?
It seems to go around t67-68 and maybe is just not feasable.

I will give it another try then. Thanks.
I was thinking of a Cultural game and would like a super capital for wonder snagging.

Several people reported trying and failing (myself included), but consentient snagged Petra.

@Redaxe, do you remember the ballpark turn? Was it before NC?

Yeah I think it was before NC.
I can't remember the turn. either way it wasn't enough to guarantee a victory.

Spoiler :
I think for memory Gandhi is your only competitor right? And that requires him to plant his second city in the desert. If you keep a scout over his way I think you'll be able to tell when he starts buildng it

Spoiler :
In my two tries it was built both times by Monty.
Maybe Gandhi was too concerned by early wars with me (worker stealing).
I will try to DoW Monty too or have it DoWed by an AI before he start on Petra.

Top Bottom